Code of Conduct

Default what's a good cologne for a young man?

hello,
    although he smells great naturally, i'd like to find a cologne for my soon-to-be 18 boyfriend. he's never had one before so i'd like something not too strong or overtly masculine. i'm looking for a unique and fresh scent. if possible, something vaguely related to his greek (ie mediterranean) heritage might be nice? so far i've liked (but not been overwhelmed by the perfection of) chanel's ego´ste, carolina herrera's 212 men, and kenneth cole's reaction. please give me suggestions if you can, we've spent a lot of time in fragrance departments only to come away with noses unable to differentiate between smells anymore.
    thanks!

Default Re: what's a good cologne for a young man?

Try Le Male. It's not what you're looking for but it's a great scent in my opinion.

May I suggest Diptyque Philosykos?
    It is inspired by a Greek fig grove - fresh, rarely encountered in the wild and not very masculine (it is unisex).
    It is one of the darlings of Basenotes and a very fine example of the perfumers' art.
    I believe there are also other Diptyque's with Greek inspirations, but Philosykos is clearly the most popular Greek-themed Diptyque.

Now... let's get dirty...

If your Greek boy is in fact a Greek God he should try Kouros (and as a Greek boy myself, I can assure you that our Greek mothers have convinced us that we are in fact Greek Gods).
    Kouros is VERY masculine, but in a sexual rather than a brutal way.
    If he finds it too heavy, he can always try the Sport or Summer Editions (do not confuse these with Body Kouros which is a totally different fragrance).

Although Kouros is one of YSL's best sellers, I don't think he will run into many other guys wearing it his own age.
    That said, it is not an old man fragrance - but it is very controversial on this board.
    You will love it or hate it - which I think is good, because there is little worse than mediocrity (such as so much of the unimaginative aqua's which bore many of us to tears - and all his friends will be wearing anyway).

2 Drachmas.
    Last edited by musky_monkey; 24th December 2006 at 05:24 AM.

Reaction is an adequate scent. Try this, if possible: unscented in any way, say on a Saturday morning, go to the department store and spray Reaction on the both wrists and behind the neck. Have him wear it the rest of the day, see how it develops.
    By the way, there's nothing wrong with being overtly masculine, us boys can't help it! :-)
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Issey Miyake

try Prada man...
    smells really young and clean...
    not heavy
    great price too

Well, from another man of young influence(19), I can tell you that Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme, Issey Miyake Pour Homme, Sean John Unforgivable, Guess Man, Victoria's Secret for Him, Chanel Allure(and the sport version), Polo Blue, Curve, and Lacoste are pretty safe and generally good picks, especially if he's just starting out. The D&G one might take some time, but I think it's fantastic and so does every girl I've met.

Overcome By Fumes

Gucci Rush for Men

Excellent suggestion...if you can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    Gucci Rush for Men

Great post--there must be something to what Greek mothers say about their children being Greek gods. I agree with everything MM says.
    --Chris

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey
    May I suggest Diptyque Philosykos?
    It is inspired by a Greek fig grove - fresh, rarely encountered in the wild and not very masculine (it is unisex).
    It is one of the darlings of Basenotes and a very fine example of the perfumers' art.
    I believe there are also other Diptyque's with Greek inspirations, but Philosykos is clearly the most popular Greek-themed Diptyque.

Now... let's get dirty...

If your Greek boy is in fact a Greek God he should try Kouros (and as a Greek boy myself, I can assure you that our Greek mothers have convinced us that we are in fact Greek Gods).
    Kouros is VERY masculine, but in a sexual rather than a brutal way.
    If he finds it too heavy, he can always try the Sport or Summer Editions (do not confuse these with Body Kouros which is a totally different fragrance).

Although Kouros is one of YSL's best sellers, I don't think he will run into many other guys wearing it his own age.
    That said, it is not an old man fragrance - but it is very controversial on this board.
    You will love it or hate it - which I think is good, because there is little worse than mediocrity (such as so much of the unimaginative aqua's which bore many of us to tears - and all his friends will be wearing anyway).

2 Drachmas.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Smile Re: what's a good cologne for a young man?

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmilk
    try Prada man...
    smells really young and clean...
    not heavy
    great price too
    Also the Prada Amber pour Homme is really nice, not heavy or old fashioned.

^_^ thank you so much everyone!

Take a look into Brit Burberry for Men... A scent you will both love, although it may seem a little sweet. Enjoy shopping!
    - Rich

My teenage son & his pals love:
    Perry Ellis Portfolio
    Nautica Competition (new version)
    Swiss Army
    Cool Water

Good luck & Merry Christmas!