Code of Conduct

Question recommend a rose scent?

One of my favorite scents is rose. I love the scent of rosewater, uncompromised by other notes. Although I also love frags like No. 88 or Parfum Sacre, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a very soft, clean rose scent. Not too girly or sweet, but perhaps "simple." I have Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose, which is a nuclear blast of rose. I'm looking for something much more subtle. Something more of a skin scent, something for when I'm feeling comfortable, sweet, mellow, and happy.

A wonderful fragrant Christmas to all!

edit: I'm ok with "not clean" roses, but I suppose I'm looking for something where the rose scent is clear and "relatively" unmuddied by other notes. Thanks for the suggestions thus far.
    Last edited by mochi227; 25th December 2006 at 10:06 PM.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Default Re: recommend a rose scent?

If you weren't specifically asking for a clean rose I'd suggest Agent Provocateur EdP as fast as I could.

Well, Voleur de Roses is probably not exactly what you described but it is definitely a rose scent personified.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Smile Re: recommend a rose scent?

1. Bulgari's Rose Essentielle - violet, rose and clean musk. Slightly powdery.
    2. The Body Shop Cassis Rose - Rose and berry, musk drydown. Similar in feel to Rose Essentielle for a better price, plus you can get lotion, shower gel, etc. in the same scent.
    3. Estee Lauder's Intuition - citrus rose with an amber drydown.
    4. Parfums de Rosine - Une Zest de Rose (sp?) - lemon and rose.
    Happy holidays and merry sniffing!

Eau D'Italie PAESTUM ROSE. Not exactly what you had described but an interesting rose scent nonetheless. Get a sample/decant. Just might be the one that suits you.

I'd also second Voleur de Roses, just because it is such a unique take on the rose note.

One that I'd say DEFINITELY stay away from if you want a clean rose is The Different Company's ROSE POIVREE. I really like this scent but it is VERY dirty. If you bought this blind or expecting a usual rose fragrance, you'd definitely be disappointed.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

I love Serge Lutens Sa Majesté la Rose . It is so well done. It's not cloying or sweet. It smells like someone gave you a huge bouquet of delicious white roses.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mochi227
    One of my favorite scents is rose. I love the scent of rosewater, uncompromised by other notes. Although I also love frags like No. 88 or Parfum Sacre, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a very soft, clean rose scent. Not too girly or sweet, but perhaps "simple." I have Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose, which is a nuclear blast of rose. I'm looking for something much more subtle. Something more of a skin scent, something for when I'm feeling comfortable, sweet, mellow, and happy.

A wonderful fragrant Christmas to all!

edit: I'm ok with "not clean" roses, but I suppose I'm looking for something where the rose scent is clear and "relatively" unmuddied by other notes. Thanks for the suggestions thus far.
    My dear, come this way... I have exactly what you need...:

Crabtree & Evelyn Rosewater Eau Fraiche - pure perfect pink rosebuds, delicate, dew kissed. Light enough to use as an all over body spray and perfect in summer. The talc is also to die for.

Also check out:

Crabtree & Evelyn Evelyn EDT - more mature full bodied roses but still more subtle then Perfumers Workshop.
    The Body Shop Tea Rose - wonderful true rose, perfect in summer with a sharp long lasting edge of green (geranium).
    The Body shop Cassis Rose - Fleeting fruity rose. Wonderful layered with the White Musk oil.
    The Body Shop (Limited Edition) Sequin Sparkle - lovely, feminine 'elegant' rose floral, good longevity. Stock up whilst you still can...
    Gres Cabaret - rose & sandalwood combo. Great base layered with other truer rose perfumes.
    Yves Rocher Rose Absolue - warm, slightly powdery fruity rose.
    Stella McCartney Stella - well respected warm rose blend, light, feminine.

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Pennhaligon's Elisabithan Rose for a fresh dewy white rose, and Creed's Fleur de The Rose Bulgare for a mature red rose. Fresh's Bulgarian Rose is nice as well, though it doesn't have the lasting power of the first two.

Sheseido's Rosarium is one I've only tested, but it's very true and lovely. I've not tried Un Zest--yet.

One of the discoveries of 2006 was that I really really like rose as a note. So we are NOT talking seductive and dark, to go out, to make an impression, right? We are thinking about light, skin-like and subtle? Second moondeva's suggestion of Stella (thanks to a gem of a Basenoter I got me a big decant of it) and want to add L'Or de Torrente that I fell in love as of late and got me a huge bottle of EdP: yes, there is sweetened coffee in it, but mostly it is a rose scent with nice woody undertones.

Two more roses worth mentioning are: L'Artisan (not in the Directory ) Drole de Rose and Ghost Ghost (not Serenity or Deep Night).

Talking Re: recommend a rose scent?

I have just been given very irrisistible for Xmas and boy this is roses overload and very gorgeous

Les Parfums de Rosine is my favorite line of all-rose-based scents. They have something for everyone.
    Contact lusciouscargo.com and order a set of samples ($17.50 for eight vials) by clicking on the blue link marked SAMPLES at the bottom of the alphabetical order list of houses.
    http://www.lusciouscargo.com/Merchan...egory_Code=PDR
    Read those descriptions, yum yum yum. They are every bit as lovely as they sound. The full range covers just about every preference. I love this house. I would recommend that you try as many as you can.

I love the Rosine line too...ended up choosing Rose Flamenca. i also love Elizabethan Rose, China Rose, and Zita, which I find to be a very clean clear rose on my skin. I like ysl Paris Bois des Roses also

At the moment I'm wearing one of my favorite light delicate rose fragrances, Eau Rosee by Mariella Burani. I'd heard it's discontinued (not sure of that), but I found it at 99Perfumes:

http://www.99perfume.com/over2/MARIE...AU_ROSEE_W.htm

- Kathy -

Default feeling flush?

Creed's Fleur de The Rose Bulgare (1890)
    It's like $300 for a big special edition reissue bottle. I smelled it. I want it. I can't afford it. If you can, go for it!
    "No outfit is complete without cat hair."

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker has a strong rose note in it - depends on your skin as to whether you smell it as strongly as you'd like...its other notes are apple martini & lavender (from memory)...it's very elegant and not strong at all...that's about all I can suggest - I'm not too good with my fragrances yet...am getting better though! lol hope that helps anyway
    Last edited by gloomy_liv; 29th December 2006 at 09:28 AM. Reason: horrible spelling mistakes! lol

Must add a few: (I love rose!)

Yves Saint Laurent Paris - sparkling, fresh rose and the Paris eau de printemps versions - especially Roses Enchantees and Roses des Vergers.

Rochas Tocade - exquisite, and very "clean" rose-vanilla-amber.

Jean Patou EnJoy - sparkling and floral with a bright rose throughout.

I have samples of both Poussiere de Rose and Rosa Flamenca by Rosine, and think both are very good. I wouldn't classify either as dirty, though Poussiere (as the name would suggest) is a little "dusty". I also have Paris which I find to be very "thick" yet still clean and a true rose scent. I'm on a bit of a search for a simple rose scent, myself. As a young girl I had a solid perfume stick that was rose (can't remember who made it), and if I could find that it would be perfect. The Crabtree & Evelyn fragrances sound like they might be what I'm (we're?) after.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

[I'm enjoying Pellen's new avatar--her engagement ring ]

Check out elizabeth W's rose. They will send you a free sample if you are not within driving distance of one of their stores. Drop them a line by email.

http://www.elizabethw.com/shp/shopdi...id=37&cat=ROSE

I cannot stand the scent of rosewater, yet Stella Rose Absolute, with its addition of amber and peony, works for me. Wish I could find a scent like a wild rose [insert drooling smilie].
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    Wish I could find a scent like a wild rose [insert drooling smilie].
    I don't think I've ever smelled a wild rose (at least not that I can remember)...the only fragrances I can think of that have wild rose in them are Cheap and Chic by Moschino & Love at First Glow by JLo....although the wild rose, if my memory serves me correctly, isn't very prominent in either, coz it's hidden under so many other ingredients!!

Maybe you should write to Demeter and see whether they can come up with something....they seem to do a good job with different scents (including extremely random ones like dirt and playdoh!!)

[I'm enjoying Pellen's new avatar--her engagement ring ]

Wish I could find a scent like a wild rose [insert drooling smilie].

I enjoy that ring picture, too. It looks like a happy hand!

Q, can you describe the qualities of a wild rose, and compare against a rose more familiar to you? But please don't compare to Stella, cuz all the amber in lovely Stella overwhelmed me, as I'm sure you recall. Rosine does make a rose variation with Dune roses, and they might work for you (I haven't tried it.)

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    I enjoy that ring picture, too. It looks like a happy hand!

Q, can you describe the qualities of a wild rose, and compare against a rose more familiar to you? But please don't compare to Stella, cuz all the amber in lovely Stella overwhelmed me, as I'm sure you recall. Rosine does make a rose variation with Dune roses, and they might work for you (I haven't tried it.)
    I do recall the SRA incident. Let's see, you ended up offering it to a sister, I believe. Seems like ages ago. Ah, good times, good times.
    Wild roses: to start, there's no rosewater . I have a Zephirine Drouhin (Bourbon) rose growing at this house, and that rose is the opposite of everything I find pleasant.

The wild rose is soft, innocent, sweet, uncomplicated, not deep, not green, a bit powdery; more like a fruit-tree blossom, I suppose. (Go to second 37 in the shorter movie I sent Jon, lean in, and smell .) The descrips of Ecume de Rose sound more complicated than that. Per usual, I'm sure nobody has bothered or is capable of putting my favorite nature smells in a bottle, but I love your eagerness to appease my cranky desires, S.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I love your eagerness to appease my cranky desires, S.
    I love a challenge, and you are as challenging as they come!

I was thinking of my Attar Bizarre Arabian Wild Rose, but especiallly of Weleda Wild Rose body oil....
    Last edited by Shycat; 30th December 2006 at 12:49 AM.

How about:

* OMBRE ROSE, by Jean-Charles Brosseau;

Top notes: Aldehydes, Rosewood, Geranium
    Middle notes: Rose, Orris, Lily of the valley, Ylang-Ylang
    Base notes: Tonka, Vanilla, Cinnamom, Heliotrope

For me, the rose really does stand out.

Have you tried Guerlain's AA Rosa Magnifica? It is pretty easy to find on Ebay. Fresh, rich, and not "confused" with anything but rose.

I love Stella Rose Absolute, but I cannot wear it, as I'm allergic to it!
    I didn't like ombre rose, I thought it was too old lady smelling.
    A very clean rose scent would be the rose esentualle (bulgari), I personally prefer stella, as I like that it has more going on.
    But for a clean rose, I'd try bulgari.
    Sometime unrelated that I just bought but adore, if you love rosewater....
    a face toner from that Burt's Bee's line! It is a rosewater toner, and it smells sooooooooooo good, I wish it were perfume! I love using it on my face, it just feels so clean and yummy!

I am also, for some unknown reason, a rose lover. I posted a thread here and got some good tips. My queeste for the perfect rose perfume is not finished, though.
    I think I know what you mean. The rose perfumes are either too strong or sharp, or too earthly. Too light or they have no staying power.
    You want a true rose. I recommend:
    Penhaligons Elisabethan rose - like a white rose in a garden. The best.
    Comme des garcons series red rose - a rose with a fruity twist.
    Keiko Mecheri Damascena - a light modern rose.
    Stella rose absolue - beautiful. Warm, but never to overwhelming. Dark rose.
    Body shop tea rose - shame it is an oil. You cannot spray it. A true tea rose.
    Jo malone red rose - true to the rose. Gordious.
    Annick Goutal rose absolue - also a true dark rose. elegant.
    I profumo di firenze rosa damasco - a bit strong, a creamy rose.
    Body shop cassis rose - modern. I have to use the oil as well. It is a bit light.

I wish you much succes!

mochi,
    If you are looking for a clean and simple rose scent, I think you will enjoy my rosewater scented perfume named Rosebud. If you PM me or email me at ayala@ayalamoriel.com I will happily send you a sample.
    Here is a link to the description:
    http://ayalamoriel.com/perfumes.cfm?...&product_id=48
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Santa Maria Novella do a lovely, pure rose scent.