Code of Conduct

Wink Terre d'Hermes...

I'm asking my brother to buy this for me at the airport on his way back from holiday, having never smelt it. Is it a safe choice? In other words is it one of those scents that you either love or hate?

I like the fact that is has an orange note to it as I have always wanted a fragrance that does!

Thanks,

James.

p.s. any more descriptions of it would be most helpful!
    Last edited by James Esq; 10th November 2006 at 07:47 PM.

nearfantastica

Default Re: Terre d'Hermes...

First off, you should check the site reviews.. there are some really good assessments of the fragrances.

I would consider Terre D'Hermes a pretty safe buy and one that is rather distinct in its smell. I get the citrus at the beginning of the fragrance but it dissipates fairly quickly and the cedar in the fragrance shines through. It's interesting though.. I spoke to a friend of mine who says that the citrus stays pretty prominent on him so I'm sure it has a lot to do with skin chemistry...

Another aspect of Terre that is widely talked about on here is the presence of a very mineral'like note that blends in a very balanced way with the other accords. It's a very good quality scent... and I actually find it hard to describe. It's versatile too.. although it shines best in warmer weather..it would not be out of place worn at other times of the year..

Besides, if it isnt to your tastes, you could swap it on here in seconds... Take a chance.. hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised. One of the frags that I was hooked on on first sniff and that just gets better over time.

a.

Thanks nearfantastica.

I checked out the reviews which were helpful but I would like to hear some more about it. From all I have heard so far, I am certainly intrigued - especially in regard to the mineral and gun-powder notes...I cannot even imagine them!

smells like rocks, wood, flowers, water, orange, metal, etc.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

nearfantastica

I don't get any gun powder notes and nor do I find it an incredibly challenging scent. I find it very easy to like... It's essentially a very well blended woodsy citrus with a stand-out note that borders on metallic. The longevity and sillage are also very good. Anyway.. I'll let someone else give some input! heh

If you want a sample of the stuff, let me know and I can send you one free of charge.. If you'd prefer the surprise element.. go for it

a.

nearfantastica - that is very kind of you! Thanks very much.

But my brother is on his way back soon and so I think I might just go blind on this one. He asked me if I wanted anything and so this might as well be it as I have nothing else in mind...

It's a pretty safe blind buy, and I don't say that very often.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by perfectfeet
    It's a pretty safe blind buy, and I don't say that very often.
    I second that!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

Excellent!

Just spoke to my bro and he has bought it for me already so that's good to hear...

I look forward to smelling this one!

My thoughts on this exceptional juice....

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...er%27s+essence
    There is no Nose....

Excellent post! You really conjure up pictures in my mind there. It seems to be the fragrance I have been chasing as it could be an all year rounder. I am currently wearing CD Homme, which can feel a little cloying sometimes and I certainly would not wear it in the summer...

I shouldn't build Terre d'Hermes up too much in my mind though or i'll be disappointed!

Thanks again,

J.

It is overwhelmingly grapefruit on me and I mean that in a good way. I adore it.

Magnificent longevity. My b.f. and I both put it on EARLY this morning, and it's still going strong at almost 6:00 P.M.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I sometimes put one squirt of something on my arm before I go to the gym. When I saw this thread today, I took Terre d'Hermes with me to the gym on my left arm. WOW!!. I haven't worn it in over a month, so it was like a new friend to my nose. Simply beautiful, classy, and it seems timeless.

This is an exceedingly modern scent which I think points the way to a new style/trend in men's fragrances...away from the traditional wood/leather/musk numbers that have been the mainstay of men's scents for decades.

TDH got a bad rap when a former member (OK, Serpent) made a big fuss about how much he hated it, and people jumped on board...until they smelled it again, or really wore it for a day, and discovered how unqiue and beautiful it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelwithoutaclue
    This is an exceedingly modern scent which I think points the way to a new style/trend in men's fragrances...away from the traditional wood/leather/musk numbers that have been the mainstay of men's scents for decades.

TDH got a bad rap when a former member (OK, Serpent) made a big fuss about how much he hated it, and people jumped on board...until they smelled it again, or really wore it for a day, and discovered how unqiue and beautiful it really is.
    Sorry to be off-topic. But what happened to Serpent?

Quote Originally Posted by ToadKings
    Sorry to be off-topic. But what happened to Serpent?
    he decided to leave Basenotes.

I was with a friend in Sephora on 34th Street in August when he found it. I smelled it and thought that it was a scent that would have come out a while back, certainly not in 2006. I was wondering how I missed it all these years.

It's longevity and projection are great, like the traditional classics. Same for its complexity. I took a sample on a cardboard to my favorite lady and she said that it smelled great.

It is now one of my mainstays.

Don't get me wrong, I like this fragrance, but it's so terribly positive smelling it's starting to bore me now. It's like someone , who is always ridiculously positive, even when thing are really depressing. It's this person, and I wanna smack him,...real hard!
    Maybe I have to give Terre a rest now, since I've been wearing this a lot , past summer. I'm in the mood for darker scents now.

I find this scent hard to describe. I am border-line of not liking it for some reason. I have tested it out twice and overall I was not impressed. I guess I will give it a couple of more trys.

Terre d'Hermes, if I may be permitted to say, is the best Hermes I've smelled.

Open notes are ok but later are the same like Issey Miyake, L'eau D'Issey Homme

A blind buy on this one is ok.
    One of my favorites. One of the above posts about it being"positive" is true IMO, but that is what I like about it.

With a dark navy suit and clean white shirt, I'm probably going to reach for this cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    he decided to leave Basenotes.
    Sadly, that may be true. It's gotten a little quieter now. I begin to miss Serpent's expert knowledge and advice already. Occasionally, he could apply flamethrower methods, but it was always for a cause. He never bothered discussing ordinary subjects, or arguing about obvious matters. That made discussions he joined sometimes more challenging. Behind his rage against Td'H was an extraordinary respect for Hermes' past, and the long line of outstanding perfumes. He just didn't see Ellena as the leading nose for Hermes.

I consider Td'H as the final step after the two Jardins, their masculine cousin. I much prefer it to the various 2006 Hommes. Time will tell whether or not it is going to be a long term success. Equipage as my personal favorite among the Hermès remains untouched.
    Last edited by narcus; 11th November 2006 at 08:36 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I liked it for a little while, my dad got it at the duty free too. After awhile, I didn't like the dry down at all, for a strange reason, I got a little nauseous.
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Today has been the experience of my first full day wearing of TdH. I will have to say that it is a really good fragrance....just not great. The cedar in the drydown reminds me of a muted Tumulte pour homme. I can see where this fragrance would be great in an office environment due to the fact that my nose detects nothing at all that could be offensive........but that's just my nose. I will definitely use the rest of my 1/3 oz decant but can't justify buying the whole bottle just yet.

I first had a chance to use this fragrance when given several samples of it (along with the body wash). I find it to be clean and fresh. It has IMO an interesting combination of notes that compliment each other well. None of which; as one poster wrote, are offensive so it can be used in many situations. The note that sold (I did purchase it) it for me was the pepper. A subtle, not overpowering pepper.

When I first tried Terre D'Hermes, I liked it...that soft earthy mineral accord was pleasant. At tthe time, the only Hermes I had tried was Bel Ami.

Later, I spent some time with Hermes Un Jardins, Frederic Malles' Angelique Sous, (all of which share similarities with Terre D'Hermes...that dominant mineral accord) ..it was then that I realised that Ellena was stuck in some sort of a rut. I hope he doesnt put out another "earthy mineral accord" fragrance. 4 in such a short period of time is more than enough. Add in the uninspired Cologne/Concentree Bigarrade's from the Frederic Malle line and Ellena's got some work to do to recapture his magic.
    -

I have just bought this fragrance.
    I really think it is very similar to another fragrance that I have used/smelled before but I just can't get my mind to spell it out.

Can anyone help?

I don't think it's a "safe bet" for a blindbuy , you have got to test it first, there are tons of people who like and love the scent, i for one, do not like it, but i got a bottle of it anyways (blind), i do respect it though, and sometimes wear it when i want to be masochistic.

May it be Isfarkand from Ormonde Jayne?
    I find similarities between these two.

Quote Originally Posted by StarG
    I have just bought this fragrance.
    I really think it is very similar to another fragrance that I have used/smelled before but I just can't get my mind to spell it out.

Can anyone help?
    I find Terre d'Hermes VERY similar to Nina Ricci's excellent Memoire d'Homme.

BTW, James Esq., how do you end up liking TdH?

Jeff

Thanks for the replies, fragrancalmeditation and wicozani.
    I don't think it is Isfarkand - the name is not even remotely familiar to me.
    Will try Memoire d'Homme again in the stores tomorrow.

Gosh, hopefully I can put a closure to this curiosity soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelwithoutaclue
    "Terror d'Hermès" was Serpent's call, but I appreciated his view on it even though I enjoy it a whole lot more than he does. But what triggered the whole thing was more a problem with Jean-Claude Ellena who repeatedly releases wish-washy fragrances on a citrus theme rather than the juice itself. He is definately right there inmo, bandwagon jumping or not. But Terre d'Hermès is something I do use from time to time, but mostly because I got one of the freebies from their promotion site, a 12ml mini of TdH. My girlfriend loves it more than I do, but on me.

TdH was by far the number one release of 2006 as far as I'm concerned. I just don't like how it wears in colder weather though, but in the summer holy crap it's amazing!

I had a great testing day in Manchester yesterday (Harvey Nicks, Selfridges, John Lewis). I tried various Creeds, Bonds, CdG, Aqua di Parma, JPG, Jo Malone.

The winners by a mile were Creed Bois du Portugal of the darker heavier side and Terre d'Hermes of the lighter citrus styles. TdH avoids both the fleeting and the insipid nature of many citrus frags. On a first sampling I can understand the 'positive' characteristic noted above. It is intruiging without being eccentric. A bottle will definitely be purchased.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

it smells excactly like it sounds...
    terre...reminded me of the smell after th rain...but cleaner...
    i want re-smell it...

Just request some free samples of TdH from www.hermes.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam
    Just request some free samples of TdH from www.hermes.com
    pretty sure shifts' spray was a limited edition. When some Bnoters reported getting them (after having signed up months before the release), everyone went to that site looking for hand-outs, but (to the best of my knowledge) none more came.

Regardless of how you feel about Terre, it ALWAYS evokes a reaction. I certainly could not wear it every day - nor would I want to - but it certainly has an extraordinay effect on people - men and women.

Mario

just re-smelled it....
    i don't like so much...
    extremely heavy for me...

If you want to meet the dirty brother of Terre d'Hermes, try FM- Bigarade Concentree.

I was recently introcduced to Terre, and my initial reaction was that the frag has a killer scent but seems like it's geared towards the more mature crowd, 35+. upon a second evaluation, it really grew on me, and I believe I have found my winter frag.

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani
    I find Terre d'Hermes VERY similar to Nina Ricci's excellent Memoire d'Homme.

BTW, James Esq., how do you end up liking TdH?

Jeff

I have both MdH and TdH and find them to be quite different on me. My natural scent is very mossy and cedary and works very well with TdH's earthy and woody notes. TdH's drydown lives up to its name in being and earthy, mossy cedar. MdH's drydown is a clean, dry cedarwood.

I also second everything Nearfantastica said in his first post in this thread.

-Sloan

I think Terre is great (more interesting f.e. than Jardine sur le nile), I am going to buy it soon!!

if you like not heavy sophisticated scents - go for it
    Last edited by DreamerII; 26th December 2006 at 09:45 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel