Code of Conduct

Default context is...a lot: rive gauche

since I read a review in which someone pointed out it smells like cheap shaving cream, and it does, now I'm in the rive gauche camp.

glad nobody ever bought the bottle I had up for sale for so long for like nothing!

Default Re: context is...a lot: rive gauche

I've never gotten the association with cheap shaving cream but I do love the scent..........I've got both the regular version and the light version and they are both great!!! One lady at work thinks I'm wearing Abercrombie and Fitch Woods everytime I wear Rive Gauche.............she literally swoons to the point where it's almost embarrasing. Took me a while to really love this fragrance but now I hope I'm never without it.

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    since I read a review in which someone pointed out it smells like cheap shaving cream, and it does, now I'm in the rive gauche camp.

Rive Gauche really does smell like freshness, and cleanliness, and all things good!
    De gustibus non est disputandum

"The Fougère (fern) fragrance types is to masculines roughly what Chypre (mossy
    woods in Michael Edwards’ classification) is to feminines. Together, they
    inaugurated abstraction in fragrances. Fougères started in 1882 with Paul Parquet’s
    superb, and long extinct, Fougère Royale (Houbigant), the first fragrance to use a
    synthetic in large amounts. Artistically, the best fougères are the so-called
    “aromatic” variety, typified by Azzaro Homme (1978), and Calvin (Calvin Klein
    1981). Saint-Laurent used to make one in the seventies as well, and it was very
    good indeed, but it was discontinued. This Rive Gauche Pour Homme, released last
    year, is not a million miles away from the older one, only less soapy. It is strikingly
    refined and understated in a field populated by loud and exuberantly hairy-chested
    fragrances. What I like about it is that the drydown smells (there is no other way to
    describe it) salty: the readers who have tried the intriguing but largely useless salt
    substitute made with lemon rind powder and crushed pepper will know what I
    mean. In this case, the effect is achieved by a mixture of vetiver, something that
    smells like carrot seed, and a smoky note of guaiac wood. The overall effect is hale
    and clean while remaining suitably gray and aloof as all self-respecting fougères
    should be. The beautiful packaging, aptly, sends the same message."

http://www.barbasol.com/realman.html

is rive gauche, then, for "real" men?

the bottle is a little disappointing in person it looks hi tech but I don't know what kind of grades of plasTic there are but. . . was fascinated with the image of the bottle more than the 3-d objet in what seems to me to be "low grade" plastic (as opposed to something like the hot new mark birley travel bottle which is a sort of more glamorous plastic somehow)