Code of Conduct

Smile Looking for help finding a peppery? fragrance

Good afternoon, gentle people of basenotes! Like so many others, I am in search of something to wear.

I'm a college student who doesn't know much about fragrance. I've never had one I liked before -- someone gave me some Hugo Boss for women eau de toilette several years ago, but I hated the way it smelled on me after a few hours. On really bad days it would make me feel sick, so I stopped wearing it pretty fast. I've decided I'd like to find some fragrances I actually enjoy, so after clicking around this forum and the women's fragrances forum last night, I decided to ask for your help.

I thought I wanted something peppery or spicy because when I get out of the shower, the Neutrogena soap I use makes my skin smell peppery for a short while, and I really like that. However, sampling some fragrances at Dillard's today confused me. I really didn't like some of the "spicy" scents the saleswoman sprayed on cards for me. It was as if the spiciness was almost minty, and it made me think of a drugstore for some reason. The fragrance I liked best was Valentino V, but I guess we'll see if I still like it in a few hours. Prada Purple Passion (I think?) got second place, but I don't think it's something I would wear.

Grapefruit is also a favorite scent of mine, so I'm also interested in fragrances that contain it. I saw the earlier thread about grapefruit on the "Female Fragrances" board, and am trying to take that into account.

Any guidance would be most welcome. I'm a 22-year-old woman, if that helps, but not by any means set on buying a "female" fragrance. Thank you so much!

Default Re: Looking for help finding a peppery? fragrance

If you like grapefruit and pepper, then Givenchy Extravagance d'Amarige seems to fit the bill for you! It's a very nice reorchestration of the classic amarige notes of orange blossom, mimosa etc with a "naughty" younger twist on a bittersweet peppery start which makes it sparkling and lively.
    Another very nice one I advice you to try is Hermès Eau des Merveilles with its salty peppery appeal: here you don't have grapefruit but a very nice lemon-orange combo.

You might also like Bulgari Omnia (not Omnia Crystalline, but the slightly older fragrance in the brown bottle). It has a very peppery top note and lots of masala spices, along with some mandarin orange. It wears very close to the skin in spite of all its spicy notes and may help if you're looking for a slightly more pronounced version of a spicy body wash scent.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

I've got Etra (Etro) on right now, and on my skin it's all spice, not sweet (as some get, per their reviews). Depends on how it works on your skin - it's worth a try.

Not sure if the veterans here would agree, but I find Angel to be peppery on me, and I like that.
    Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger also has a spicy hot sort of feel to it, you might enjoy sampling this.
    Dzing is advertized as peppery, I tried a sample and would have to agree, but it doesn't particularly appeal to me.
    Sake by Fresh has a grapefruity note to it, it is soft, this is the lightest choice of those I have mentioned.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

Madness by Chopard. I just discovered this and like it very much. It will be one of my next purchases. Top notes of Lychee Rose, Kumquat and Pink Perrercorn, Flamboyant Flower Tree, Wild Wild Rose and Hibiscus Flower. Base notes of pink suede, cotton flower, red rosewood and pao rosa wood.

bvlgari aqva is soo peppery!
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

nearfantastica

If you are open to wearing men's fragrances as well.. two or three jump off the page at me..

Nina Ricci's Memoire... starts with a grapefruit note, and ends with a very sharp, peppery, smokey base... it might be right up your alley.. though, the smoke note is very strong..

FCUK Him: the pepper note in this fragrance is very pronounced.. and "spikey".. the wood accords settle it down, but never completely.. a decent option... DKNY has a very similar vibe.. very little sweetness..

I would also suggest..

Creed's Himalaya or Paco Rabanne's XS...

Etra by Etro (as previously mentioned)

Piper Nigrum by LV

I'm sure you'll get some other good suggestions...

a.

The most peppery fragrance I have seen is L'Artisan Parfumeur's Poivre Piquant. Spicy pepper on top of woods.

You can order a sample from
    aedes.com
    luckyscent.com

Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme is a very nice citrus/pepper/tobacco scent. Given that it seems to change on everyone who wears it, I would think it would be worth a sampling since you are not bound to "feminine" marketed fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love pepper in my fragrances. Here are a few you may enjoy:

Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum - blast of black pepper in opening but dries down to a paler version of YSL Nu EDP
    YSL Nu EDP - cedar and black pepper, potent & long lasting.
    The Body Shop Pink Pepper - underrated feminine scent. Smells much more expensive then it is.
    Caron Poivre - extrait, full on blast of pepper. Very dominatrix.
    Caron Coup de Fouet - EDP of Caron Poivre. Softened by rose. Still pretty powerful & spicy in its own right.
    Boucheron Initial - has a lovely peppery heart note
    Donna Karan Black Cashmere - delicious woody winter delight tempered with dry spice, especially pepper and yet still creamy. A must try!
    Frederic Malle Noir Epices - creamy green chypre delight with delicious peppery top & heart notes.
    Guerlain Vetiver - this has a distinctive pepper accord along side the tobacco in the base notes. Worth waiting for.
    Moschino Couture! - Dry ambery woody fruity floral with distinct pepper accord in the top & heart notes.
    Paul Smith Woman EDP - Feminine, fruity, 'clean' floral with spice pink pepper top notes.
    Opium pour Homme - EDP.
    Opium pour Elle - EDP
    Balenciaga pour homme - very peppery white woody oriental.
    Guerlain Heritage EDT - This is very dry on my skin with forests of cedar and bushel loads of pepper. Very elegant.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

come to think of it Pepper is one of the spices i like aside from Ginger and Saffron! I'll try to sample more of this come 2007!
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to second Poivre by Caron (tried it for the first time yesterday and loved the pepperiness) and Black Cashmere by Donna Karan. Black Cashmere has a distinct cinnamon heart note on me which I adore, and dries down to very nice dry, warm woods.

opium by yves saint laurent
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Post Thanks / Like

Piper Negron by Lorenzo Villoresi, if you can find it, has a great pepper smell, and it is as epicine as anything out there.

Happy New Year, and good luck.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I second Nu edp.Defenitely peppery

Post Thanks / Like

The most pepper you will ever find in a mens cologne is made in France. It's new and it's called "F!" by Fragonard. It sparkles with top notes of juniper, black pepper, verbena and Italian bergamot. Heart notes of nutmeg, clove and gaiac wood open into a sensual background of cedar wood, leather and patchouli. It is for men, but you will smell like pepper all day long.

www.fragonard.com

Other sparklingly peppery frags that came to my mind too are
    Cartier Declaration
    Angelique sous la Pluie

both pretty unisex

You ABSOLUTELY have to try Terre d'Hermes. Its peppery and contains grapefruit and oranges and is very distinctive as well as addictive. Its classed as a guys fragrance but don't let that put you off (i wouldn't mind a girl smelling this good!). I got a bottle a couple of weeks ago and its finally got me away from Issey Miyake homme which ive worn for about 10 years!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Looking for help finding a peppery? fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by mossaia
    Good afternoon, gentle people of basenotes! Like so many others, I am in search of something to wear.

I'm a college student who doesn't know much about fragrance. I've never had one I liked before -- someone gave me some Hugo Boss for women eau de toilette several years ago, but I hated the way it smelled on me after a few hours. On really bad days it would make me feel sick, so I stopped wearing it pretty fast. I've decided I'd like to find some fragrances I actually enjoy, so after clicking around this forum and the women's fragrances forum last night, I decided to ask for your help.

I thought I wanted something peppery or spicy because when I get out of the shower, the Neutrogena soap I use makes my skin smell peppery for a short while, and I really like that. However, sampling some fragrances at Dillard's today confused me. I really didn't like some of the "spicy" scents the saleswoman sprayed on cards for me. It was as if the spiciness was almost minty, and it made me think of a drugstore for some reason. The fragrance I liked best was Valentino V, but I guess we'll see if I still like it in a few hours. Prada Purple Passion (I think?) got second place, but I don't think it's something I would wear.

Grapefruit is also a favorite scent of mine, so I'm also interested in fragrances that contain it. I saw the earlier thread about grapefruit on the "Female Fragrances" board, and am trying to take that into account.

Any guidance would be most welcome. I'm a 22-year-old woman, if that helps, but not by any means set on buying a "female" fragrance. Thank you so much!
    Try Opium pour homme! Both regular edt and Eau D'Orient versions.
    It smells very peppery and classy to me.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

For grapefruit - try Calyx the fragrance by Prescriptives (the skin care line), it's an oldy, but I've never found a grapefruit scent better.

Pepper - its expensive, but Hermes' exclusive in-store-only line Hermessence has Poivre Samarcande (I guess Pepper of the Samarcande...wherever the hell that is...?) and it's black, pink & white pepper all rolled up into a very complex scent. If you live near a Hermes boutique, stop in & spritz some. It's the one I get the most compliments on (of the Hermessence line) when I wear it.

Another vote for Etra which is gorgeous.
    Also, L'Artisan Parfumeur Poivre Piquant but it doesn't have good lasting power.
    As for grapefruit note, it's very prominent in Donna Karan Women - although it didn't work well on me at all.

Post Thanks / Like

L'Artisan's Poivre Piquant is pepper - but has a sweet base. It's quite lovely.

Also peppery is Hermes Eau des Merveilles, which you can find at dept stores and at Sephora. This is peppery, ambery, some say salty - but very sparkly.
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

Post Thanks / Like

if you want peppery:
    demeter fragrance library black pepper
    the body shop poivre rose
    fresh index - geranium pepper
    caron poivre
    l'artisan parfumeur poivre piquant, piment brulant
    the different company rose poivree

if you want citrus/grapefruit, see my post in the section "just starting out" under the question "what is a good orange scent" and i have listed about 40 or so citrus/grapefruit/orange/bergamot scents.

if you want spicy:
    brandy brandy
    comme des garcons series 2: red - carnation
    comptoir sud pacific sultan safran
    il profumo ensense spice
    satellite padparadscha
    yves saint laurent opium (get the body cream and layer it with the parfum extrait)
    christian dior hypnotic poison
    guerlain shalimar
    fresh index - galbanum patchouli

good luck at finding something... and happy sniffing!
    "she may be called miss, but she prefers mademoiselle." <3 ines

for a frosty peppery experience, check out himalaya. no grapefruit in it but its very nice and you have to check it out.
    FEW FAVS.=Dzing ,Mechant loup,Millesime Imperial,Tangerine Vert,Daim Blond,Aoud Rose petals,Crystal Flowers,D&G BMan,B D Portugal,Chergui

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Looking for help finding a peppery? fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23
    For grapefruit - try Calyx the fragrance by Prescriptives (the skin care line), it's an oldy, but I've never found a grapefruit scent better.

Pepper - its expensive, but Hermes' exclusive in-store-only line Hermessence has Poivre Samarcande (I guess Pepper of the Samarcande...wherever the hell that is...?) and it's black, pink & white pepper all rolled up into a very complex scent. If you live near a Hermes boutique, stop in & spritz some. It's the one I get the most compliments on (of the Hermessence line) when I wear it.
    Another vote for L'Artisan Poivre Piquant and Piment Brulant. You can find both of them in a boxed set (.5 oz ea) plus Saffron Troublant (another nice one) for $75 at high-end retailers like Neiman Marcus. Great peppers!

Also, another vote for The Body Shop Pink Pepper-- cheap but good.

Finally, being a grapefruit lover myself, here's a list of citrus/grapefruit containing fragrances I like:

-Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain
    -Valentino V
    -L'Instant de Guerlain (not grapefruit, I don't think-- some other kind of citrus)
    -Moschino Cheap & Chic I Love Love
    -Jo Malone Grapefruit
    -DKNY Be Delicious
    -Shalimar Light (more lemon than grapefruit)
    -Blu Mediterraneo Arancia by Acqua di Parma (general citrus)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! This is a 5-star thread! There are some superb recommendations being made here that have added to my "To Try" list, including several "feminine" scents. Just what I need, more fragrances to try!

Quote Originally Posted by gregmech26
    The most pepper you will ever find in a mens cologne is made in France. It's new and it's called "F!" by Fragonard. It sparkles with top notes of juniper, black pepper, verbena and Italian bergamot. Heart notes of nutmeg, clove and gaiac wood open into a sensual background of cedar wood, leather and patchouli. It is for men, but you will smell like pepper all day long.
    This new scent sounds very interesting! Where to try? The notes remind me of Hermes' Rocabar.