Code of Conduct

Default How do you decide which colognes you buy?

For those of you that collect (ie own or plan to own a dozen or more different colognes) What is it that determines the ones that you purchase?

Is it:
    1) Strictly based on what you like when you test-smell?
    2) Based on what feedback you have read online, hence instantly rushes out to buy-blind egoiest, m7, a*men etc
    3) Trying to collect a wide collection of scents perhaps for different occasions, some gourmands, some orientals, some fresh.
    4) the rarity and exclusitivity of a particular cologne interests you... ie the ones u cant get in the stores...
    5) a nice bottle has already made up 50% of your decision...

As for me i think i am slowly falling into the following order:
    3), 1), 2)
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Default Re: How do you decide which colognes you buy?

Mos Def 3 1st. This rationality has prevented me from buying many "similar to what I already own" frags. For example, I didn't by SMW because I have 3 8.4oz flacons of MI (and one 4oz gold sprayer). I also didn't dive into the recent furious buying of Tauer's Desert for I found Chergui/FT to fit the bill in a similar fashion.

I guess I'd be guilty of #4 next (i.e. bought Tauer's Orris blind, bought 2 C&S no.88 blind, bought a 8.4oz flacon Vintage Tab blind as well, and these are just the ones off the top of my head (oh, the 2 FT were also bb).

Not sure what you mean by #5 though - if you mean buying just based upon the bottle shape itself, then I'd have to say "never" (a previous thread discussed this concept, and I stated in it that "I wear the frag, not the bottle").
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

The way I have done it sort of falls into your nummber system. I started off by testing in stores and with samples, choosing what I liked that way (your #1). After discovering Basenotes I picked scents I wanted to test based on what I read. Then tested them in stores and bought what I liked (your #2 minus blind buys). The only blind buy I ever did was Opium pour Homme. I do not like blind buys because I do not want to spend my money on a chance. Since I tend to favor oriental-spicy scents, I have now tried to catagorize my scents so I have at least a few in each of the major groups (your #3). The rarity has not really entered the picture (your #4), but I do not buy scents that can be found everywhere (AdG for example). I do want some exclusivity. Lastly (your #5) just because the bottle is nice, it still has to move me.

1)Of course...why or who would wear something you don't like yourself?
    i have to like the scent....duh...isn't that the whole purpose?
    unless you buy scents to sell to make money or just let spoil

3)along with my opinion of buying to your taste...it has to match my lifestyle...if i go on 100 black tie events a month then i would buy things like dior homme or creeds...but if i just wear it leisurely, disregarding price of course, i'd get Le male...etc

and

5) the bottle of course has to intrigue me not 50% but 30%
    who'd buy a boring bottle...?

so far i have half a dozen...and broke...
    do i consider myself as a colelctor?
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

p.s.

4) unless it's a limited edition of one of my scents...or if i like it...always #1

2) i'd never buy blind...i'm very picky with a range of taste...
    i say i like light scents like prada but i like Mat; Very Male too; a spicy scent
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

I read to see what other people like, then I see which ones of those I like. That way, I know I'll be wearing something that everyone (including myself) likes

1,4,2 in this order.

I have a very wide taste, but in general I'm more interested in getting colognes that one cannot find in the stores. Usually I try to test the scent before purchasing a full-size bottle of it. If the scent doesn't wow me I don't need it, so basically it's only my personal opinion that matters. But sometimes I don't have the patience to hunt down a sample or a decant and I commit a blind-buy. Those times I base my decision on the olfactory description and the reviews (if available), and hope the best. The result of my naive optimism can be seen by taking a look at my swap list... ;-)

-Tero-

For me, its easy...whatever Thrax and Supermarky have...I get the complete opposite.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Spray it on a test card. If it's good after ten minutes, test on skin. Go home.

If I miss/crave for the scent after a few days, I'll go back and make my purchase.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    Spray it on a test card. If it's good after ten minutes, test on skin. Go home.

If I miss/crave for the scent after a few days, I'll go back and make my purchase.
    This is pretty much like me as well. I need to CRAVE it before I buy it for myself.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I have an easy 3 step process:
    1. Test on card.
    2. Test on skin.
    3. Go home, if girlfriend doesn't complain, it's a done deal. =)

This is an interesting question, to be sure.

As I "matured" in perfume, my approach changed. When I first started, I was intrigued by the reviews of such people as Turin and Burr. I followed up with reviews of the same scents by BNers and it led me to buy at least one perfume blind: New York by de Nicolai.

The fact I didn't get the same feelings about New York and a post by another Basenoter about buying blind ultimately meaning one buys others' favorites led me to vow that I would never again buy unsniffed and that's where I am now.

I have a bunch of perfumes on my To Test list; I choose perfumes to go on that list based on reviews like I used to do. If the notes seem like it would be something I'll like, I'll start the research cycle. I'll check BN, search PoL and MakeUpAlley and Perfumecritic, and a whole bunch of blogs. If it has enough reviews and they're mostly good, I'll set it up for testing: perhaps buy a sample, go to the mall, etc.

After that, if I still like it, it goes on my wishlist and I'll start looking for a good deal.

That's it, my way of deciding and choosing which frags to buy. For right now though, I'm putting a stop to all frag purchases for a while.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

The key word for me is intuition. I just know which scents are the ones I should at least try and probably also buy, don't ask me how!

I have made many succesful blind buys but I always test if that's possible and of course after hanging out in fragrance forums since 2002 I also have friends whose taste is similar to (or different from) mine and whose comments I trust.

But intuition is the thing!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Which leads me to another question...
    Has anyone bought colognes that they personally do not like but appeal to the partners/opposite sex?
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Hey you should make that a separate thread. People often just read the initial question and respond without reading most of the posts, and many people won't see this one.

Quote Originally Posted by yonggoh
    Has anyone bought colognes that they personally do not like but appeal to the partners/opposite sex?
    As for this question, I won't buy something I knowingly don't like, because for me the whole joy is to smell myself. That said, I will tend to wear something more often than maybe I otherwise would, like Kouros, if I see it gets a reaction.

When it comes to buying - I buy almost everything blind!

First of all, my daily routine doesn't usually take me near stores that stock fragrances, especially the ones I'm interested in. I do have a good friend who's a demo for men's fragrances at Holt Renfrew, but I just don't go to that part of town much.

Next, I love surprises, and very importantly, if something smells different than what I'm used to, I usually will hate it at first try, but eventually something clicks and it becomes a favourite. I'm much the same way with music. Therefore if I tested things I'd never end up buying some of my current favourites. I didn't like Opium EDP at first, or Xeryus Rouge, and those are what I use most.

Also, I'm usually looking for a steal, so if I find something I really like from a sample or from testing, I'll get frustrated if it's something that never shows up on ebay at a good price. For example, nearfantastica recently sent me free samples of Fumerie Turque and Bvlgari Red Tea when I bought something from him. They were both incredible especially the Fumerie Turque which must be the most wonderful thing I've ever chocked on. The Bvlgari I can find online, but the Lutens is only available in Europe and it's like $120 for 50mL. Now I have to sell half my collection to buy a bottle! Ignorance is bliss!

Sometimes if I have an idea - like I want a Jasmine scent or a Marzipan, or Orange BLossom. Then I'll put a shout out on basenotes, and make a list from what people suggest and go out of my way to try some things, or buy some samples. I usually don't buy blind when it comes to these quests, because I'm usually looking for something very specific (like something that smells exactly like jasmine, or marzipan) and peoples' recommendations are often waaaay off, being only marginally related to what I want.

Otherwise I get everything blind and if I still don't like something after a week, it goes into my pile of things to sell.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 11th January 2007 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yonggoh
    Never done that, but I do let my wife choose (from my collection) what she would like me to wear - eg for a formal occasion we are attending. And I have let her persuade me to buy something I liked but had difficulty justifying(!)

I should add that if a person whose wardrobe I like and share a lot of frags with likes something, that something usually ends up on my To Test list. Yet another way to choose perfumes.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    The key word for me is intuition. I just know which scents are the ones I should at least try and probably also buy, don't ask me how!

I have made many succesful blind buys but I always test if that's possible and of course after hanging out in fragrance forums since 2002 I also have friends whose taste is similar to (or different from) mine and whose comments I trust.

But intuition is the thing!
    This along with the original options 1 and 3 are the main factors deciding what I buy.

I've evolved a bit and I think I've got just the two modalities.

I started by sampling things that were local and convenient. Unfortunately, Atlanta is not much of a fragrance/shopping mecca (on the global scale anyways). Once I found Basenotes, I learned about other houses and fragrances and that has fed my candidate list for samples. I've probably placed sample orders 8-9 times so far, getting 6-12 samples at a time. If I like it after I've worn it 2-3 times and I don't already have something very similar, then it goes on my 'to-get' list. Things can and have stayed on the 'to-get' list for eight months before acquisition. Another way I find sample candidates is by exploring horizontally, that is, within a house you already like something from. I explored YSL this way.

The other modality is that I can get caught up in the excitement of the hunt when trying to find rare things. This has happened already with M7 Fresh, JHL and Jules. That's not limited to fragrances, I've done the same thing with books. I'm getting a bit better about this, but I may go on a run to get Tuscany and Havana this year.

Till basenotes I have not known niche perfumes at all...
    Basenotes helped me to broaden the horison of the art of perfumery

That's why now I have Tea for 2, Musc Ravageur, Eau Noire... But they are really good scents..If I wouldn't like the scent, I would not buy it..

F.e. No 88, Messe de minute - they are not so brilliant as I thought

everybody here likes Creed, Serge Lutens - but I could not choose of these which I would really like to have

f.e. to buy serge lutens or more modern - Dior's Bois d'argent
    to buy Creed's cologny Original vetiver (which I like best of Creed) or The one and real - Vetiver Extraordiner

the principle is this: I buy what I really like...
    But you can like a lot scents...So you have to choose the best ones..
    To me it's better to buy one really good scent instead of hundr..........
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Before basenotes, I used to test in stores and buy based on what I thought would work for me. Of course, I rarely tested the fragrance on me=mistake. I also used to blind buy based on reviews and descriptions=another mistake (for example, Guerlain's Vetiver obviously smells great on some but it smells dreadful on me no matter the time of year.)

Thanks to basenotes, I stoppped the blind buy game and learned to acquire a sample or decant and test on my skin to verify its compatability with my natural scent. This also allows me to test longevity. I have also developed serious willpower when testing fragrances in stores. I have learned the importance of thorough testing before investing.

When I find a fragrance that is purchaseworthy, I decide whether to buy based on the following:
    1) Do I have the money?
    2) Do I have room in the rotation (fall/winter or spring/summer) where it fits best?
    3) Does it REALLY smell THAT good on me and how did it make me feel when I wore it?

My latest purchase was CdG 2MAN. I wanted an overtly masculine scent for my fall/winter rotation. Bought a sample from Luckyscent and wore it a few times and tested it against Gucci PH. I was surprised to find I prefer the CdG to the Gucci. 2 MAN also made me feel confident and relaxed, I like that. I had the money so I bought 50 ml.

-Sloan

I think cost has a lot of impact on how I buy a fragrance. If the price is low, I may buy it blind or after a single test. But if the cost is high I usually like to get a large sample or buy a decant for a long term test. The one time skin test at the store is OK but there have been a lot of fragrances that I love initially but after a week or two I lost interest.

ok:

-Very rarely, i buy blind.
    -98% of the time, i test-drive it first for a good 12 hours, even if the top notes are not good to me: i like to get the whole drydown.
    -I instantly buy the love-at-first-sniffers.
    -Money is rarely an object at retail (but it is when i am at an auction)
    -The ones i testdrive are always tested on my skin, if they pass the test, i'll buy.
    -I will travel to get the scent i want.
    -I don't use reviews to see if i get one scent or not, it's all very personal, but i do read most of them after i get the scent and appreciate all points of view.
    -I don't buy based on scent classification.
    -Rarity is a plus and might be considered when buying.
    -Nice bottles are a plus as well but it will never influence a decision: it's really all about the scent.

i think that's it for me, i may be missing some tips though...
    cheers

So am I the only blind buy maniac out here?

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR
    So am I the only blind buy maniac out here?
    Nope.

Don't care much for the retail scene, and found more winners than losers. Then again, I have more than I'll wear at the moment, so I've pretty well stopped. At least until next week.