Code of Conduct

Default hopelessly fragrance ignorant high schooler in desperate need of help

*Somewhat long post but I'd greatly appreciate any responses!!!!*

Hey everyone, I'm new here and would greatly appreciate any help! Throughout high school I've never been concerned with the way I smelled as long as I didn't smell bad. That all changed however, when I starting seeing this girl who really loved guys who smell great (she kept insisting I buy some cologne). I've stopped seeing her, but it made me want to try this whole cologne thing out. This is where I need your help...I'm looking for a fragrance with a definite masculine presence, yet not too masculine. It can also be slightly/subltely masculine, as long as the masculinity is there. It also has to last a reasonably long time. I'm 18 so it can't be something my grandfather would wear. It needs to be an embodiment of the young, exude freshness, and most importantly *** make women's knees buckle ***! I'm very open minded so I definitely wouldn't mind trying out new things (i.e fruity, citrusy, coffee, other unique flavors...basically anything is new for me, my experience with scents goes no further than Axe/Tag/cliche stuff). Finally, the price has to be reasonable! I plan on using the most recommended scent for my senior high school winter semi-formal! I've been recommended Rochas Man so far...but thats the only one.

Default Re: hopelessly fragrance ignorant high schooler in desperate need of help

people use fragrance to attract people?

well i sugest Antidote by Viktor and Rolf...
    "citrusy, clean, typical but unique..."

Dependent

Default Re: hopelessly fragrance ignorant high schooler in desperate need of help

try going to the stores with her and sampling scents together. Maybe buy her something she likes and she'll return the favor.

simple do unto others. Goleden Rule stuff. When in doubt I use it and it hasn't failed me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo
    try going to the stores with her and sampling scents together. Maybe buy her something she likes and she'll return the favor.

simple do unto others. Goleden Rule stuff. When in doubt I use it and it hasn't failed me yet.
    Aaaaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh. He said he's no longer seeing her!!

Anyway, I suggest Michael Kors for Men.

Subtle and quality maybe not for 18 year old but try it--Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Citrus --D & G Masculine
    Popular --A & F Fierce
    Spicy--Gucci Envy
    All Purpose -- XS Paco Rabanne
    Youthful but good:
    Echo --Davidoff
    More Daring and unusual
    Magnetism --Escada

I always wished the boys in my high school would wear fragrance. But then... I went to school with a bunch of neanderthals.

I love Hugo Dark Blue. It's a lovely masculine scent, but not overpowering or 'old man' smelling. It's sexy, but still comfortable and not intimidating.

fredricktoo has the right idea though, go to a major department store and just follow your nose. Just remember to sniff some coffee between scents though, or they'll all start to run together!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    Aaaaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh. He said he's no longer seeing her!!

Anyway, I suggest Michael Kors for Men.
    I thought she didn't want to be bothered with guys who aren't into scents.

So he calls her, they go shopping, he see's how aware she is about the world of scent, he puts on 4711 which brings out the fire and passion within...

we know 4711 lasts ten minutes, so he carrys a canteen of the stuff. It's a start.

oh yea 10 bucks, maybe 15 the way the dollar is sinking against the euro

Overcome By Fumes

Hermes Bel Ami

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo
    I thought she didn't want to be bothered with guys who aren't into scents.

So he calls her, they go shopping, he see's how aware she is about the world of scent, he puts on 4711 which brings out the fire and passion within...

we know 4711 lasts ten minutes, so he carrys a canteen of the stuff. It's a start.

oh yea 10 bucks, maybe 15 the way the dollar is sinking against the euro

ROFL!! Ah ha! I didn't realise that you had a 'cunning plan'!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmilk
    Bwahahaha!!!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmilk
    Way to make assumptions =/, I'm going to "assume" that you were joking....but no I already have a date to the semi-formal, I just want to smell nice for a change.

Blog Entries

Armani Code
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

If you're looking for a sweet yet fresh fragrance, I recommend you Guerlain L'Instant.
    For something just fresh and considering it will be your first fragrance I recommend you Acqua di Gi˛ or Halston Unbound.

Issey Miyake

Is michael kors for men the one with the tobacco? sort of reminds me of D&G PH? I would recommend D&G PH for you, it isn't terribly expensive even retail price-wise and you won't outgrow it until, well, maybe never.

This is the scent you are looking for: Givenchy Blue Label.
    Trust me.

Since you're new to all of this, it'd be best to start off with something safe, affordable, easy to obtain and with decent longevity. Therefore, I second Issey Miyake.

Nice rec on the Blue Label, Giraffe!

That's one I'd recomend.

Also look into Hugh Parsons 99 Regent Street. Very classy, yet modern and versitile. A little harder to find, but well worth the hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by schoolglue
    Way to make assumptions =/, I'm going to "assume" that you were joking....but no I already have a date to the semi-formal, I just want to smell nice for a change.
    smart amssumption

Quote Originally Posted by zr0e
    Is michael kors for men the one with the tobacco? sort of reminds me of D&G PH? I would recommend D&G PH for you, it isn't terribly expensive even retail price-wise and you won't outgrow it until, well, maybe never.
    Yes, on reflection I think you're right: the D&G is a much better suggestion.

To Schoolglue: Save the Michael Kors for when you are 40 years old, sitting in your club and reflecting back on your semi-formal and the lovely girl you took.

The Issey Miyake is also a good suggestion, but you might have to use a lot to get the longevity out of it. But it's certainly a nice scent. The Aqua di Gio might just be too common in your group to stand out.

best of luck in your search

Eluard

Call it a day and get Chrome. Trust me, it's safe, clean and fresh, somewhat masculine, good longevity, perfect, especially for a first frag -- and fairly affordable. Armani Code and The Dreamer rock as well.
    Peace ~ Markymark

As a self proclaimed womanizer (well, they're high-school girls) I would recommend Le Male if you want something sweet and very strong. If you want something a bit more usual then perhaps Armani Code would be good for you. I would recommend trying out a bunch and finding a favorite.

I 100% 2nd both of those!

Quote Originally Posted by Markymark
    Armani Code and The Dreamer rock as well.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

One of my favorites, one that is unusual, not like all those headachey strong soapy scents is Givenchy's Pi (insert Pi symbol here)
    I love that one, if I want to find my husband delicious, I make him wear it!
    It is different because it is a sweet scent. I get sick of soapy and leathery men's scents. I like that this one doesn't smell like every other men's cologne. And I think it is definitely youthful. My husband was in his mid 20s when I first got it for him. Love it!