Code of Conduct

Question If I already own Ambre Sultan, should I buy L'Air du Desert Marocain?

I just received a sample of L'Air du desert marocain. I really like it, but I already own Ambre Sultan. I'm really trying to diversify my fragrance wardrobe (I own 14 bottles including Vintage Tabarome, Santal de Mysore, Musc Ravageur, Kolnisch Juchten, Dia Pour Homme, Silver Mountain Water, Santal Imperial, Aoumassai, L'Homme de Coeur and Wall Street). In your humble opinion, are Ambre Sultan and L'Air du desert marocain too similiar to own both?

Default Re: If I already own Ambre Sultan, should I buy L'Air du Desert Marocain?

To me, the overload of amber and the medicinal quality set AS apart from L'Air. L'Air is more woody and resinous, and has the amber more in the backdrop. I see your worry though, as both are very dry and they are both spicy in a somewhat similar way. I personally think they are different enough though to warrant owning both. I think L'Air is more versatile.

Default Re: If I already own Ambre Sultan, should I buy L'Air du Desert Marocain?

Get you some L'AdDM and get it while you can. You will put me in your Will if you do .

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

No, I believe you should not buy L'Air du Desert Marocain.

If anything, wait until ifconfig has bought his bottle, not before.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Quote Originally Posted by acjigga
    In your humble opinion, are Ambre Sultan and L'Air du desert marocain too similiar to own both?
    One could call them cousins but they sure don't play in the same league! L'Air is rather sweet, and borders getting cloying after an hour or two at room temperature. If you have the patience, do a four hour test of each one separately, and take notes of what you smell. L'Air is too strong for a parallel test. It partly kills the subtler, elegant AmbreS. I've tried that. Looking at your wardrobe, I think you would be much better off with a good Guerlain (Derby, Heritage EDP) Caron (Yatagan), or Boucheron for the same amount. If it may be more, there would be Hermes, Dior Exclusives, L'Artisan, Comme des Garcons, Villoresi.... so many I would clearly choose first!
    Last edited by narcus; 29th December 2006 at 10:50 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I don't think they are that similar. It's been a long time since I tried AS but I don't recollect it being sweet. I would wonder more about getting both Chergui and L'air. None of these is really for me though.

I forgot to add that I smelled AS from a sample I was given months ago and it was wretched to my nose .

"Different strokes for different folks!"

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]