Code of Conduct

Cool funny story about an SA

I just thought I'd share this funny story. I live in Brooklyn, NY, where there is a place called "Fulton Mall" that has tons of little kiosks and shops selling clothes, shoes, electronics, and of course, perfumes. I was browsing in Macy's on the way home, looking for something to test, and I decided to spritz myself with Chanel Coco. I loved how it smelled on me. I felt sophisticated, self-possessed, elegant.

I passed one the above-mentioned kiosks, and on a whim (although I told myself "no more buying perfume til 2007"!), went in to see if they had a bottle of Coco on the cheap. I asked for it but they only had Chance and No. 5. So then I started looking and the SA started suggesting: "how about Fantasy? Escada Island Kiss? How about Burberry Weekend?"

There's nothing wrong with these scents, but they just aren't really me. I like something duskier, dirtier, and IMO, more elegant. I gave the SA my wrist and said "what do you think?" He wrinkled his nose and said "smells too old for you. What is this?" I told him it was Coco and he grimaced again. I saw Dolce Gabbana Sicily on the shelves, something I've always wanted. I asked how much and he said "why not Light Blue? Sicily's too old." I told him I already had Light Blue and I liked Sicily. I teased him saying he liked the "light and girly" fragrances and he said "well of course!"

I had gone in wanting Coco but was steered towards frags I would probably never buy for myself. I walked out of there shaking my head, but refusing to give into some SA's idea of what a "young woman" should wear. If I want to wear thick stinky frags, then damn it!, I will.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

nearfantastica

Default Re: funny story about an SA

Great story! It reminds me a lot of working at my fragrance store... Most of the staff are High-School students wearing their Pink Sugars.. new YSL Homme, etc (not a problem with these fragrances) but they almost blow a gasket when I walk in wearing something lwith a classic powdery feel.. (Habit Rouge, Heritage) or something a little offbeat like Passage D'enfer. I got all of them hooked on some Creed's MI and SMW.. but it won't be long before I start shoving the Acier Aluminium in their faces.. I'm now known as the "weird smelling frag guru" which is funny in itself..since I don't know all that much about frags in comparison to some..

a.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could go in and smell at my free will at closing time to avoid any overbearing SA. I just want to sniff in peace.

Hey mochi,

Thanks for sharing your story, it really is a funny one... However, I will never understand why an SA just can't allow a customer to try and buy what they are looking for; especially when you are not asking THEM for their advice. Don't they want to sell anything? What are they doing in a store anyway with an attitude like that? Ohhh, just my two cents...
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I really get frustrated by pesky SAs. Especially when I usually know more than they do about the line they're representing (with the exception of Creed and FM representatives quite often). If wearing the iPod and a p*ss-off look doesn't work, I'll resort to full-on perfume snobbery. :P

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh! Do they really think they're doing you a FAVOR by telling you that a lovely perfume like Coco or Sicily is "too old"? For heaven's sake, I thought they were trying to SELL perfume.

Maybe I just get too irritable, but some SAs really irk me, especially when they are snide or bitchy. I think I'm spoiled by the sweet and lovely SA that I met at Barney's in Beverly Hills who was the Serge Lutens SA. She was SUCH a sweetheart that I think all the rest of them look like meanies in comparison!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think many of the SAs around here are knowledgeable about fragrances. They don't even know the name of Mitsouko. A few of them have good noses, insofar as they can guide you to a dominant note, but that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess_Dreams
    Hey mochi,

Thanks for sharing your story, it really is a funny one... However, I will never understand why an SA just can't allow a customer to try and buy what they are looking for; especially when you are not asking THEM for their advice. Don't they want to sell anything? What are they doing in a store anyway with an attitude like that? Ohhh, just my two cents...
    How true! I also find it rather cocky and offensive when they seem to push you in the age group THEY find suitable for you. It's funny and sad at the same time how they just don't seem to get any training when it comes to listening to the customer!
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the funny story Mochi. I have had many similar experiences at a local department store. I can't go to the mall without prowling through the fragrance dept. even though I know what is there. I know the SA's must work on some type of commission but I am convinced that they must get a new car or something huge if they sell a bottle of Escada. They always seem to try to strong arm me into trying their newest Escada offering. I used to be nice but now I just say sorry I really hate it or if I want to smell like a pina colada its going to be because I've been heavilly partaking of the real thing!

Post Thanks / Like

A few months ago, I was browsing through our new Sephora with a young SA at my side. She was very sweet but knew nothing about perfume. I spotted Donna Karen Gold and exclaimed, "Oh, I've been wanting to try this." Her comment was something to the effect of, yeah, it's nice, it doesn't contain any florals. I told her, much to her surprise, that it is based on casablanca lily. I discovered, after a bit of chatting, that her thing was "shoes." She did, however, have somewhat of an interest in men's scents, one, in particular, that her boyfriend wore. God love her, she sent me home with a decant of "Unforgiveable" by Sean Jean. She was very accommodating and, had I not been in such a hurry, I probably could have left with a handful of decants that I really wanted to try. I have yet to test Unforgiveable . . . it might be pretty good.

Talking Re: funny story about an SA

Quote Originally Posted by MsMuse
    I wish I could go in and smell at my free will at closing time to avoid any overbearing SA. I just want to sniff in peace.
    What?! Why??

As a SA in a camping store, I like to get the hell going and wrap up the night with zoning, so I always go up to the customer and ask if there is something "I can help them find quickly." I do that especially after the store closing announcement. Be very careful about using that tactic. Won't work on me.

Stephanie Ellison

I've been working as a fragrance demonstrator for a couple of months now...I would never tell the customer that the scent is too old for them/young for them/whatever! I had an 80 year old lady wanting to buy Darling by Kylie Minogue for herself...I would've never said "Oh no, that scent is too young for you"...NEVER! In the end, it's the customer's choice as to what they want...not the SA!!

Post Thanks / Like

I can be quite a nice person when I put my mind to it. JAG, I went in that Sephora's for the first time, in a hurry, and armed with warnings about the SAs from basenotes. I must have really looked angry, for though two walked toward me, both stopped on eye contact. Of course, then noone gave me any happy little decants!

Or, maybe they thought I looked too much like a psycho bag lady.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    I can be quite a nice person when I put my mind to it. JAG, I went in that Sephora's for the first time, in a hurry, and armed with warnings about the SAs from basenotes. I must have really looked angry, for though two walked toward me, both stopped on eye contact. Of course, then noone gave me any happy little decants!

Or, maybe they thought I looked too much like a psycho bag lady.....
    Well, this little girl looked as quirky as I do so she felt right at home by my side. I think I could have lost her pretty easily but my time was short so I just let her hang with me. My two times at Sephora have been "on the run," which is probably a good thing. When I worked in Belle Meade, I stopped at Green Hills Mall all the time on the way home. But, since working at home for the last four years, I never go to the malls - everything done via Internet. Can you imagine my surprise when I finally made my way to Green Hills? I didn't even know we had a Macy's. And L'Occtane? And who knows what else! Then there was the day I decided to go to Marshall's at Harding Mall, only to find that not only was Marshall's not there, the entire mall was gone. I really need to force myself to get out more.

I don't know if you ever visited The Cat Shoppe when it was in Green Hills. My girlfriend is the owner (The Dog Store, too) and has moved to the little niche area on Bransford, across from 100 Oaks. Tons of wonderful toys, supplies and food for the babies, plus cat-related gifts for people (translated - yourself). Clothes, jewelry, purses. Very classy stuff - it's pure agony! And Chris is not pushy. You can browse at your leisure, but her time is yours if you need help.