Code of Conduct

Default ideal shelf life

what is the ideal shelf life of most colognes/perfumes?
    having bought 2 fragrances virtually consecutvely...
    my mom told me to stop buyng or else the others will spoil...
    my mom's j'adore smelled differently after 4 years...or is that a long time...
    i notice people here have bottle upon bottles of scents....how do you manage them...
    i promised myself just to buy the smallest of all (of course unless i want to bathe in it).....
    good bad....ideas...
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Default Re: ideal shelf life

Scents will last for decades if they're in spray bottles, properly stored out of light, and in a cooler place. Some members keep their scents in the boxes they came in to keep them out of the light, some don't. I've got a couple 20 year old bottles that smell fresh as when I wore the scent long ago and fresh as the same scent in new bottles.

This is a frequently asked question and I'm sure some searching will turn up several threads on the subject (the Just Starting Out board probably has some more recent ones) and you can read plenty of members talking about this issue by finding those threads.

Hope this helps.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

thanks....interesting how things last....
    wishlist:

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Scents will last for decades if they're in spray bottles, properly stored out of light, and in a cooler place. Some members keep their scents in the boxes they came in to keep them out of the light, some don't. I've got a couple 20 year old bottles that smell fresh as when I wore the scent long ago and fresh as the same scent in new bottles.

This is a frequently asked question and I'm sure some searching will turn up several threads on the subject (the Just Starting Out board probably has some more recent ones) and you can read plenty of members talking about this issue by finding those threads.

Hope this helps.
    --Chris
    Good point, Chris. I think that sometimes fragrance sellers like to be like oil-change places and say that fragrances often last only a short time because they want you to keep buying every year (just like they keep saying that you HAVE to change your oil at 3000 miles, despite the fact that you could go longer).

As you said, though, storage is key. A friend of mine once kept complaining that his Hermes Jardin en Med. didn't smell like mine... and he was right. But, it turned out that he often kept his fragrances sitting on the windowsill in his bathroom and they were affected by light and heat. Same with my sister; she always has to buy new fragrances after a year or two, but she leaves hers in her purse, which is then left in her car (she lives in Phoenix!), etc etc.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

I wonder about this sometimes too and I think it probably depends a lot on the particular fragrance and the ingredients used in it.

I had a bottle of Ralph Lauren Safari and a mini of Obsession for Women that sat in the bed of my pickup truck for FIVE YEARS. They experienced the 100+ degree South Texas heat, freezing temperatures in the winter and every other form of torture mother nature has on tap. I discovered them sitting back there a few months ago and ya know what?? They still smell exactly like Safari and Obsession!

I also found a near empty bottle of Polo from 1988 at my parent's house recently and it still smells pretty much just as I remembered it even after sitting untouched for all these years.

My fragrances are sitting on my dresser, which gets direct sunlight maybe an hour a day, though it is heavily obscured by the pine tree's in front of my house. Should I move them to some place where the sun doesn't shine? I would hate for any of mine to spoil.

thanks to eveyone...
    go thing...in the winter time...i don't get much sun through my window but after that...i have to place it in a box ..or something....
    wishlist:

Quote Originally Posted by LeMâle
    My fragrances are sitting on my dresser, which gets direct sunlight maybe an hour a day, though it is heavily obscured by the pine tree's in front of my house. Should I move them to some place where the sun doesn't shine? I would hate for any of mine to spoil.
    Yeah, I'd say move them out of the sunlight just to be safe. It won't take much change to put them on a different side of the room, but it could easily make a difference over time.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 28th December 2006 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeMâle
    I agree: move them. Sunlight is incredibly potent and an hour is a long time to let it do its job. Think of your skin exposed to the sun every day for an hour: it would be the skin cancer clinic before you know it.

I agree that keeping fragrance bottles out of the sunlight would be wise. Condensation can occur in the bottles and it may change the scent somewhat over time. If they are kept in a bathroom that is small and gets a lot of hot moisture in it (long showers), that could also lead to possible problems. Keeping them in a place where the temperature is more constant, somewhat cool, and out of direct light IMO would provide the best environment. Some fragrances may not be effected as much as others; delicate florals vs. thick ambers.

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    A friend of mine once kept complaining that his Hermes Jardin en Med. didn't smell like mine... and he was right. But, it turned out that he often kept his fragrances sitting on the windowsill in his bathroom and they were affected by light and heat.
    Hey, what was the difference between his and yours? That's one of my all time favourites, but I remember when I tested it that it seemed different than the one I eventually bought. It might be because I tested in the summer and bought it in the winter, but I noticed mine seemed a little powdery and less vibrant than the one I tried out.

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR
    Hey, what was the difference between his and yours? That's one of my all time favourites, but I remember when I tested it that it seemed different than the one I eventually bought. It might be because I tested in the summer and bought it in the winter, but I noticed mine seemed a little powdery and less vibrant than the one I tried out.
    You could smell the alcohol coming out more prominently in his and less of the actual fragrance. I've always stored mine well out of sunlight, but when he told me where he stored his bottle, I suspected that the difference arose from that and not just from a difference in batches.

new question:
    really interested in buying something from sephora
    and i know everyone knows how hot sephora gets...
    due to masses of people and billions of lights...
    does that affect quality .....compared to nordstroms or etc?
    wishlist:

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmilk
    new question:
    really interested in buying something from sephora
    and i know everyone knows how hot sephora gets...
    due to masses of people and billions of lights...
    does that affect quality .....compared to nordstroms or etc?
    Are you being serious? (it almost sounds like you're joking).

As such, I think you're fine at Sephora. By "hot," you certainly mean less than 100 degrees. And, by lights, you don't mean direct sunlight.

Besides, the fragrance you'll be buying is in a box, so the heat and lights aren't really going to bother it much. It's a fragrance, not a Ming Vase...
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 30th December 2006 at 01:49 PM.