Code of Conduct

Question how to learn the oakmoss note

In my quest to understand chypres, I am having difficulty isolating the oakmoss note (which, to my understanding, more or less defines a chypre). What is a good scent to "learn" oakmoss? Or learn chypre?

What are the hallmarks of oakmoss so I might identify it?

Thanks for your help
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Default Re: how to learn the oakmoss note

The drydown of Mitsouko is a good example of oakmoss. Words used to describe oakmoss are sea-like, creamy, sensual, musty, slightly leathery, bark, wood, foliage, "scent of a wet forest". The drydown of Mitsouko Parfum is one of the most sensual smells I know. Like healthy warm feminine skin, creamy and luscious.
    Last edited by pluran; 28th December 2006 at 06:45 PM.

Hi mochi 227, I just got home. Anyway, To further complicate things, they are now making chypres without oakmoss. It is making a lot of people angry and why they are doing it, I don't know. They are calling them pink chypres.
    http://ayalasmellyblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Chypre
    Ayala's SmellyBlog Article, "Dawn of Pink Chypres"
    If you are not completely confused, this should do it. It is a great article.

Thumbs down Re: how to learn the oakmoss note

Quote Originally Posted by TDDanae
    Hi mochi 227, I just got home. Anyway, To further complicate things, they are now making chypres without oakmoss. It is making a lot of people angry and why they are doing it, I don't know. They are calling them pink chypres.
    http://ayalasmellyblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Chypre
    Ayala's SmellyBlog Article, "Dawn of Pink Chypres"
    If you are not completely confused, this should do it. It is a great article.
    That was fascinating reading. Thanks TDDanae! It's a shame that chypres as we know them are being reformulated to comply with a ban on oakmoss because it causes skin reactivity in some people. A rash!

I am going to have to really try to at least smell (if not purchase) some of the classic chypres before they have been reformulated. This potential turn in the history of perfumery seems to be akin to changing the regulation of "Formula 1" and suddenly allowing jet-propulsion, or that "champagne" can now include grapes grown any where someone pleases, so long as it's bubbly and dry, "champagne" it is. That seems to be about equivalent to what may be happening with chypre. I say "may" because I don't want to be a doomsayer, but it is rather odd. If this were happening in the United States, I'd think that someone had some political influence (rival perfume house, maybe?) to create such (seemingly myopic) regulation.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.

=

current favorites:
    =

Talking Re: how to learn the oakmoss note

I am still no closer to identifying or isolating the oakmoss note, despite that great reading. I think a trip to Macy's or Bloomingdale's to park in front of the Guerlain counter for some Oakmoss 101 is in order.

=

current favorites:
    =

It has a distinctive smell that is hard to describe. I am certainly no expert on this, but the reason I am writing so much about it is because I have just recently had the same questions as you and have tested many and bought a few to see what the heck they are talking about. Oakmoss seems to make them strong & earthy, (I am only speaking for myself). My husband hates them. I prefer my orientals, but have always been a curious person and so wanting to know about perfume is my latest learning experience. An oriental woman walked by in a department with a very heavy dose of chypre on and it nearly knocked me out. I am not putting them down at all, I am just saying that they are very different and have to be tested by you.