Code of Conduct

Default help! a modern and brilliant scent ..?

hi .. i went to buy a bottle of antaeus but!.. found it very classic and not much suitable for 20_30! however an amazing scent but not for me .. now i want a modern with brilliant scent .. what about armani lines and other brands?
    thank.

Default Re: help! a modern and brilliant scent ..?

Quote Originally Posted by farshad
    hi .. i went to buy a bottle of antaeus but!.. found it very classic and not much suitable for 20_30! however an amazing scent but not for me .. now i want a modern with brilliant scent .. what about armani lines and other brands?
    thank.
    This is completely subjective, but I don't think "Armani" and "modern and brilliant" belong in the same sentence. They're often over-advertized, underwhelming, and overpriced. Here in the US, we had to endure two weeks of commercial campaign blitzes around Christmas asking "Do you have THE CODE? THE CODE of Seduction?! Armani Code!!!"

BUT, I do like a few of his offerings from the Emporio Armani line. They're a little harder to find, but I like the original EA Him and EA HIM WHITE quite well.

Depending on your budget, there are a number of choices that might work. Staying with Chanel, I always like to recommend Pour Monsieur (especially the "Eau concentree" version).

Guerlain Vetiver is always a solid choice, as is the new Prada Amber pour homme (although it's one that is really trendy now, so depending on where you are located, it may be worn by lots of people).

If you are looking to spend a little more, I think Fresh Cannabis Santal, L'artisan Voleur de Roses, and LV Piper Nigrum are pretty brilliant and timeless.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Blog Entries

Creed Millesime Imperial and Creed Silver Mountain Water are pretty modern & brilliant in my book. Pricey, but worth it if you have the money.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    This is completely subjective, but I don't think "Armani" and "modern and brilliant" belong in the same sentence. They're often over-advertized, underwhelming, and overpriced. Here in the US, we had to endure two weeks of commercial campaign blitzes around Christmas asking "Do you have THE CODE? THE CODE of Seduction?! Armani Code!!!"

BUT, I do like a few of his offerings from the Emporio Armani line. They're a little harder to find, but I like the original EA Him and EA HIM WHITE quite well.

Depending on your budget, there are a number of choices that might work. Staying with Chanel, I always like to recommend Pour Monsieur (especially the "Eau concentree" version).

Guerlain Vetiver is always a solid choice, as is the new Prada Amber pour homme (although it's one that is really trendy now, so depending on where you are located, it may be worn by lots of people).

If you are looking to spend a little more, I think Fresh Cannabis Santal, L'artisan Voleur de Roses, and LV Piper Nigrum are pretty brilliant and timeless.
    i had black code last year it has a nice sweetness not like allure cloying .. does armani night have cloying sweetness? it is a modern classy? and how about emporio he? which one's better? im not fond of too sweet scents that make headache as allure! you said pour monsieur?! how is it? Antaeus problem for me was no sweetness in it that makes it a very formal fragrance and a little dated ..
    im going to buy a modern or modern classy and top rated stuff that receives a lot of compliments . help me ..
    anyway , my budget is 100_110$ .. maybe 150$ if that's a very hot stuff!
    Last edited by farshad; 28th December 2006 at 07:54 PM.

i had black code last year it has a nice sweetness not like allure cloying .. does armani night have cloying sweetness? it is a modern classy? and how about emporio he? which one's better? im not fond of too sweet scents that make headache as allure! you said pour monsieur?! how is it? Antaeus problem for me was no sweetness in it that makes it a very formal fragrance and a little dated ..
    im going to buy a modern or modern classy and top rated stuff that receives a lot of compliments . help me ..
    anyway , my budget is 100_110$ .. maybe 150$ if that's a very hot stuff!
    All around, I'd say maybe Prada Amber Pour Homme might be what you're looking for. It's sweet, but not cloying... soapy, but won't give you a headache. And, it's got plenty of class and is very modern. It's also well within your price range.

Cannabis Santal should do well for you and I think it's in your price range. Slightly sweet but a 'different' sweet, last's long and a goodly amount of sillage.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    Cannabis Santal should do well for you and I think it's in your price range. Slightly sweet but a 'different' sweet, last's long and a goodly amount of sillage.

Dan
    That's a good suggestion, too. I concur! In fact, I wish I had recommended it over the Prada...

How about Egoiste Platinum?

I believe Anvers by Ulrich Anvers would fit the bill perfectly from your description. Is all of this stuff available in Iran or do you buy over the net?

Joe

PS Just curious.

Cool Re: help! a modern and brilliant scent ..?

That's a good suggestion, too. I concur! In fact, I wish I had recommended it over the Prada...

Right you are. Remember he's asking for something 'brilliant', so let's go with our 5 star scents.

Good suggestions so far!

Cheers,

Mario.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    Creed Millesime Imperial and Creed Silver Mountain Water are pretty modern & brilliant in my book. Pricey, but worth it if you have the money.

Yep, Silver Mountain Water is great.
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

Conquest by Agatha Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani
    Right you are. Remember he's asking for something 'brilliant', so let's go with our 5 star scents.
    I went for creed 4 monthes ago and found out can't find them here at all .
    want my new scent to have these features:
    1- not much common same as many of edts
    2- not cheap notes like cheap cologns
    3- its not important modern classy or sexy or anything else .. only a top rated fragrance that attracts people

congratulations to myself!!!
    I bought ANTAEUS finally! tried it and noticed what was my mistake(that was i only 5 min after test heard it) but today! again tried it on my hand and after 30 min that tope notes almost mellowed , shocked me! wowww! very unique , very brilliant , what can i say about this incomparable fragrance ... the best fragrance from 10 years ago until now have had!
    though , I need a modern cologne with features described ..
    thank guys
    Last edited by farshad; 29th December 2006 at 08:35 PM.

I think Comme des Garcons Palisander may fit the bill, as might others from that line. I get a very modern sensibility from L'Artisan's Safran Troublant (I've heard for years that Iran produces the world's best saffron, but unfortunately I've never encountered any of that here in the U.S.), and also from Santa Maria Novella's Citta di Kyoto.

what are your opinions about serge lutens colognes?
    fumerie turque
    ? borneo 1834? daim blond? and many of their top colognes?
    or high rated products from l'artisan
    voleur de roses? tea for two? navegar? and ...
    please give me some recommendations

unforthnately didn't find anything from l'artisan and serge lutens here!
    im looking for other brands ..
    but a question about armani prive line ; what are these fragrances genders? men , women , both , or unise*x?
    Last edited by farshad; 30th December 2006 at 04:49 PM.

congratulations to myself!!!
    I bought ANTAEUS finally! tried it and noticed what was my mistake(that was i only 5 min after test heard it) but today! again tried it on my hand and after 30 min that tope notes almost mellowed , shocked me! wowww! very unique , very brilliant , what can i say about this incomparable fragrance ... the best fragrance from 10 years ago until now have had!
    though , I need a modern cologne with features described ..
    thank guys
    yeah, she's a beauty isn't she? :-D

unforthnately didn't find anything from l'artisan and serge lutens here!
    im looking for other brands ..
    but a question about armani prive line ; what are these fragrances genders? men , women , both , or unise*x?
    I believe that the Prive are mostly unisex, but based on what you've said so far, I wouldn't recommend them. You're going to be paying A LOT for them; there are tons of great fragrances that you could get and would fit your search before laying down that much for the Prive (you could probably get two or three nice fragrances for the cost of one Armani Prive).

Whereas Bond, Creed, or even L'artisan can often be found online for a good price, I think that the Prive distribution network is limited enough that you're going to be paying nearly retail for them. Do you really want to do that? I'd say avoid the Armani propaganda machine; it's a huge hype-builder that seldom lives up to its press.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 30th December 2006 at 07:17 PM.

You're going to be paying A LOT for them; there are tons of great fragrances that you could get and would fit your search before laying down that much for the Prive. Personally, unless you have 100 other fragrances and are looking for something very specific, I'd get two or three lower-priced but still very good fragrances instead of just one Armani Prive (I'm just not an Armani fan in general, in case you couldn't tell). Whereas Bond, Creed, or even L'artisan can often be found online for a good price, I think that the Prive distribution network is limited enough that you're going to be paying nearly retail for them.
    thank dear john
    the problem is I can't go for online buys! here is iran and online stores doesn't post anything to iran because of reasons that everybody know! don't know what to do really . the most luxuries and the bests of the world colognes aren't found in iran(im talking about Creed , L'artisan , Clive Christian , Serge Lutens and Bond) not Chanel , Dior , Armani and Cartier however these have very very top fragrances and really expensive .. its too bad can't smell Creeds or Serge lutens ...
    Last edited by farshad; 30th December 2006 at 08:00 PM.

how about lalique pour homme(lion)? and its price?

anybody?

how about lalique pour homme(lion)? and its price?
    You would probably know its price in Iran better than anybody else. In general, it is not too difficult to find online, but I have no idea what the price is where you live.

Since it seems as though you are limited in what you can get due to your location, I'd say the best thing to do would be to try a local scent store and just start sniffin' Otherwise, it's sort of hard to make recommendations, because you've mentioned that you can't get many of the scents we recommend.

Going to a place with many scents and just starting to sample is really one of the most rewarding (and fun!) ways to learn about new scents. You'll probably find that many of the ones held in the highest esteemed by fellow members MAY be the ones that you like LEAST; conversely, you may find a scent that NOBODY talks about that you really just love. The sense of smell is probably the most subjective of all.

So, sniff around and report back to us on what you think.

thank john , i have seen laliques here(iran) and like to know is it really a very high quality fragrance? some basenoters say about high quality of that and i searched its prices in the online stores , found it not expensive; almost 30_40$ .. expected expensive cologne because of very much descriptions of its quality even near some creeds! is it possible?!

thank john , i have seen laliques here(iran) and like to know is it really a very high quality fragrance? some basenoters say about high quality of that and i searched its prices in the online stores , found it not expensive; almost 30_40$ .. expected expensive cologne because of very much descriptions of its quality even near some creeds! is it possible?!
    Just beacuse it doesn't cost $100+ doesn't mean it can't be a quility fragrance. There are lots of examples of highly regarded scents that are cheap (Bvlgari Black, several Guerlains etc.). Try it out and see if you like it. While I've never tried any of them out, it seems the consensus is that Laliques fragrances are of very high quality.

Yep, I agree with RichardK. Many of the fragrances you initially listed (Armani especially) are a fairly low quality fragrance with about 1500% markup due to branding. So, the best indication is how it smells to your nose. If you like it, whether it costs $20 or $200... you should get something you like. I love Caron Pour un Homme, for example, which is about $15 online. I'd take it any day over a $70 Hugo Boss. Likewise, there are some Malle or Lutens scents that cost $100-200 and yet very few people will probably like the way they smell... they're designed for a very narrow, particular "niche" market.

thank richard and john , i'll go into lalique men in this week ...

thank richard and john , i'll go into lalique men in this week ...
    Excellent! Let us know how it goes.

I consider Terre d'Hermès to be a modern and brilliant scent.

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux
    I consider Terre d'Hermès to be a modern and brilliant scent.
    Agreed! And Cannabis Santal too!
    De gustibus non est disputandum

hi guys ,
    what about this cologne? "cacharel pour homme" i read very interesting reviews about it in the directory .. is it in my way and lovely scent?
    i found it in a scentshop of course .

Cacharel and Lalique both smell very elegant. You can't go wrong with either.

Antaeus That U Bought Is Far Better From Both Of Them.
    I Suggest To Buy Boucheron Ph If U Want A Brillant And Modern Scent

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy
    Cacharel and Lalique both smell very elegant. You can't go wrong with either.
    Though I don't know a clear definiton for a modern scent, but when I try to imagine one, it's not like Cacharel.
    From the oriental world say Armani Code, from the woody-spicy genre say Loewe Solo.

thanks dears
    my thought is on these however 2 or 3 of them aren't modern:
    1-cacharel
    2-lalique
    3-code
    4-burberry london
    5-boucheron
    6-dunhill edition
    one or tow of them that are more interesting and not too dated .. i have egoiste and antaeus but love egoiste a bit more than its brother(maybe because its more modern or anything , just first medicinal notes aren't good in my opinion)! though both are great frags , now tell me which one of the above 6?
    Last edited by farshad; 9th January 2007 at 08:05 AM.

hiii .. I'm very very happy for a good happening .. my friend has found a network company in iran that does people's buys(anything from wherever of the world) and import them to iran(notice that the most of the online stores(amazon , ebay and etc ..) don't transfer anything to iran) , we have been banned ...!
    now i can have all of the niche fragrances! ... shouldn't be happy?!