Code of Conduct

Default Layering fragrance

I've seen a few posts about layering fragrances and I'm curious about trying it out. The trouble is, I'm not confident enough in my knowledge of fragrances to start experimenting yet, so wondered if anyone can give me any tips on how to start off? Are there any 'rules' one should follow about what kind of fragrances can be layered with others? Please feel free to share any examples of your own successful layering experiments!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Layering fragrance

There are no rules. Go nuts! :bounce:

Sometimes things that seem like they should be compatible (layering Stella Rose Absolute and Ambre Narguile was an idea both my husband and I thought of yesterday) turn out just awful. Other ideas that seem insane have produced wonderful results for me. Generally, do not apply the fragrances on the same piece of flesh because, even though their aromas may mesh well, their liquid chemistry may not produce nice smells when mixed.

I'm going to copy my layering recipes here because I may change the signature at the bottom of my threads:
    Feminite du Bois + Black Vetyver Cafe
    La Chasse aux Papillons + Nouveau Gardenia
    Stella Rose Absolute + Guerlain With Love
    Poupée + Rochas Femme (heavy on the P, light on the RF)
    Cabochard + Orange Blossom
    Orange Blossom + Wet Garden
    Nuits de Noho + Sha (light on the Sha)
    Last edited by Quarry; 29th December 2006 at 12:59 AM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I layer Fleur de The Rose Bulgare with KM Loukhoum. I also layer FdTRB with Fumerie Turque. I do believe that's it for me so far. Hey! I'm missing out!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    There are no rules. Go nuts! :bounce:

Sometimes things that seem like they should be compatible (layering Stella Rose Absolute and Ambre Narguile was an idea both my husband and I thought of yesterday) turn out just awful. Other ideas that seem insane have produced wonderful results for me. Generally, do not apply the fragrances on the same piece of flesh because, even though their aromas may mesh well, their liquid chemistry may not produce nice smells when mixed.
    I completely agree with Quarry's first rule! I also agree that not all layering combo's that look good on paper actually work on the skin. But as usual the rest of my response is going to appear to be completely opposite to hers... Or at least, at right angles! LOL!

I tend to apply my layering combo's directly one over the other as I am looking for the blending synergy throughout drydown. Sometimes I will make up a small quantity of the combo in a small vial or decant bottle, and will let the blend settle for a week or so before actually wearing. One of my favourite combos (Carven Ma Griffe + Clinique Aromatics Elixir) actually works best this way.

I also enjoy layering combos that include complimentary bath & body products as well as perfumes. One trick is to pick a major note / accord in a scent and use another perfume to compliment / highlight that note. For example, Dana Tabu is a full on patchouli dominated spicy amber oriental which happens to feature orange blossom in the top notes. Orange blossom scents are great for softening or adding a slightly fruity floral aspect to a perfume.

I like to wear Dana Tabu layered with a simple Orange blossom dominated perfume like Jo Malone Orange Blossom, Yardley Orange Blossom or even a cheap etailer orange blossom oil. It is a great combo as it mellows, softens and smoothes the 'in yer face' patchouli and spice whilst adding brightness and lightness to the dark blend - without clashing / changing the drydown of it.

I do agree with Quarry that when it is bad it is very, very bad but when it is good - it is divine!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *