Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default What are your favorite Azzaro fragrances?

For those of us who know (and own) Vintage Azzaro Pour Homme, the search stopped. However, Loris Azzaro (who passed away in 2003, RIP) worked with many great master perfumiers and created a lot of other truly majestic bottles of fragrance.

I, personally, don't have much affection for the current formulation of Azzaro Pour Homme, but it is still an overall decent bottle of juice for the money - the problem is, I have Vintage to compare it to next to it.

However, I wanted to start this thread to give respect to a house that created several fantastic fragrances over the years.

I will start by saying that Vintage Acteur is absolutely incredible and a borderline masterpiece. I picked up an original, mint condition splash bottle and it is phenomenal! The moss is brilliant and this is a scent that only a confident man can attempt to wear.

I also tried a nice bottle of Onyx and was rather fond of it - outside the "Azzaro-vibe" a bit, but definitely some juice with taste and very wearable & versatile.

Love to hear your thoughts...I was originally going to make the thread, "An Ode to Acteur" - but let's broaden the conversation!

Cheers!

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Default Re: What are your favorite Azzaro fragrances?

Jet Lag
    Acteur
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Decibel

Why So Serious?

Visit
    Current top 5:
    1. MDCI Chypre Palatin
    2. Puredistance M
    3. Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait
    4. Guerlain Coriolan
    5. BPC Oud

Decants for swap: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/403...mples-for-Swap

pour Homme
    Acteur
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Visit
    PH
    Onyx

Chrome - by far his best.
    Pure Vetiver - the most over the top vetiver scent on the planet.
    Pure Lavender - nothing pure about it, the modern day version of Caron PH.

I also own PH (new), Visit, Silver Black and Chrome Legend, but am not as fond of them.
    Regards,
    Renato

pour homme intense

oh forgot Chrome

I love Azzaro PH and Acteur. I'm yet to try Visit.

Chrome.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Would have to be Acteur for me.

Actually, I'm looking forward to trying the reformulation. I liked my vintage but true to Azzaro fashion, I think the juice aged badly (I also had a bottle of Pour Homme that was a tad bit off). Need a fresh take on Acteur - don't need any more takes on Pour Homme.

Azzaro Pour Homme (vintage)
    Azzaro Intense Pour Homme
    Acteur (vintage)

1. Azzaro Pour Homme
    2. Azzaro Acteur
    3. Azzaro Onyx
    4. Azzaro Visit
    5. Azzaro Chrome Legend
    6. Azzaro Chrome
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 unique bottles in my collection

Pour Homme, Intense and Visit

Acteur !!!
    I've owned and used a large bottle of it back in 1996-1997! It was the vintage formula, not the currently reformulated and completely different one.

- Azzaro ph (vintage)
    - Acteur
    - Onyx
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Annick Goutal: Ambre Fetiche
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Revillon R
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Acqua di Parma: Colonia Intensa Oud
    - Histoires de Parfums: 1740 Marquis de Sade
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Azzaro Pour Homme - They a hit a home run with this one.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Azzaro Pour Homme - They a hit a home run with this one.
    This.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

+1 on Pour Homme, Acteur, and Visit. Not a fan of Chrome.

Pour Homme
    Chrome
    Silver Black

honorable mention - visit

Fan of Chrome
    Silver Black / Onyx
    Pour Homme
    Pour Homme Elixir

I own almost all of them, and my favorite is Azzaro Pour Homme, off course.

Another vote for Visit. I have Pour Homme but for some reason, it just reads as "grandpa" on me.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you, everyone -

Just a couple points to mention...I have held off on Visit, even though the composition (top notes with nutmeg, pink pepper & cardamom integrating with incense and nice wood and amber in the base) sounds fantastic, I have heard it is rather synthetic from a number of people and also there is simply way too much nutmeg in here. A final question - is there really a curry smell to Visit...? That was brought up before. But, then, I'm torn because Annick Menardo's work is usually very good.

Second - Chrome. I wore this back in the mid-to-late 90's soon after it came out. I liked it and remember it being refreshing but it didn't last long. I would spray 4-5 extra shots and still only get about 4 hours out of it. I remember, because by the time lunch came at noon - I could hardly tell I had doused myself in fragrance that morning (at the office by around 8am). Good stuff on weekends, warm weather, and good scent though.

Final point - I had the opportunity to try a sample of Azzaro Pour Homme Intense...I, too, was very impressed. I found it very different from ApH - very rich and something I would want a full bottle of. Problem is long discontinued, very rare and prices are high - $120 is the going price for 100ml on eBay! But, it too, definitely caught my nose and was awesome!
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

Basenotes Plus

Thank you Renato -

I wanted to thank you for chiming in on the thread and also having me take another look at the Pure Series (Vetiver & Lavender you mentioned). I have yet to try them but have read reviews.

I am a huge fan of vetiver and this was put aside because vetiver is not dominant here according to most (but an integrated note), ironically the same comments have been made about Pure Lavender (with some people not getting a lot of lavender with the other notes). I just went back and looked at both scent pyramids and the notes that comprise them in both. I may search for a small bottle/sample of each, as I really like the compositions - especially with the notes of vetiver and lavender integrated. Plus, I have enough pure Vetivers and very dark vetiver-dominant scents, this could be a really nice one to wear that is more balanced. A big fan of Caron Pour Un Homme (as a classic "fresh scent") - you already got me searching for a bottle with your handful of words. :-)

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Chrome - by far his best.
    Pure Vetiver - the most over the top vetiver scent on the planet.
    Pure Lavender - nothing pure about it, the modern day version of Caron PH.

I also own PH (new), Visit, Silver Black and Chrome Legend, but am not as fond of them.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by ericrico; 15th March 2012 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Thank you Renato -

I wanted to thank you for chiming in on the thread and also having me take another look at the Pure Series (Vetiver & Lavender you mentioned). I have yet to try them but have read reviews.

I am a huge fan of vetiver and this was put aside because vetiver is not dominant here according to most (but an integrated note), ironically the same comments have been made about Pure Lavender (with some people not getting a lot of lavender with the other notes). I just went back and looked at both scent pyramids and the notes that comprise them in both. I may search for a small bottle/sample of each, as I really like the compositions - especially with the notes of vetiver and lavender integrated. Plus, I have enough pure Vetivers and very dark vetiver-dominant scents, this could be a really nice one to wear that is more balanced. A big fan of Caron Pour Un Homme (as a classic "fresh scent") - you already got me searching for a bottle with your handful of words. :-)

Cheers!
    A warning - I am very much in a minority here about these two scents.

Most people here in the past have bagged Pure Vetiver shockingly - think of it as Chrome, with the citrus replaced by Vetiver, but still having Chrome's great projection.

Much to my surprise though, one day a Basenotes guru - Scentemental - chimed in on one of those vetiver threads pointing out that Pure Vetiver was an over-the-top work of art like something Andy Warhol would do (well, words something like that and to that effect).

Pure Lavender I've just always liked - though the last thing it is - is pure lavender. It is absolutely nothing like the real pure type lavender scents, like Woods of wWndsor Lavender or Aqua Di Parma Lavanda Tonica.

I did manage to finally try Pure Cedrat in Italy five years ago. I thought it was pretty good when I sprayed it on my wrist in the shop, but lacking in the strength of the other two Pures, so I passed on it. Only problem was, two hours later as I was driving back home from that city, I started having regrets - it seemed to be smelling even better on my wrist than it had earlier. If I ever come across it again, I may retest and consider a purchase.
    Regards,
    Renato

Pour Homme.

Also own and like Visit, Acteur and Silver Black.

Curious about Chrome, Legend and both Nows but reviews seem very mixed about all of them.

The Pure line still in production?
    I never tried them, very hard to find it in stores here at Brazil (here at Brazil Azzaro is one of the best-seller brands, and Azzaro Pour Homme ALWAYS, since the 80s, is on the top10 best selling fragrances of the year, actually always in the top5)

Basenotes Plus

Hey Renato -

Good point...that was why my hesitation was there with Pure Vetiver. It is considered a Woody Aromatic with a vetiver accord, but not dominant. To call something "Pure" anything and then add top notes, additional middle and basenotes (total of around 10 with the vetiver!) is hardly a purist approach. But, forget the name...I know of of the reviewer you speak of and highly regard him as well. Case closed - I just found a bottle on eBay and sprung for it!

My vetiver wardrobe is starting to grow roots (pun intended) - I need to try something new and why not go with an Azzaro house fragrance that utilizes numerous notes in the composition that already appeal to me. Throw in a nice dose of vetiver...done deal. I look forward to it on warmer days.

Sidenote (apart from this Azzaro thread) - have you tried Adolfo Dominguez's Vetiver Hombre? Fantastic, ethereal and clean vetiver. Now, that could be called "Pure Vetiver" and hold true to name. Really a year-round scent, but due to its strength and projection - another fantastic warm weather vetiver that is truly great. Hard to find in the US, but I managed to get a bottle. Sold all over Europe and the rest of the world...

As for the Pure Cedrat - I wanted to ask, but refrained. Trying Pure Cedrat in Italy...I already like your style (my favorite place in the known universe - went there for my honeymoon!) Like all citrus-based fragrances, it is about longevity. I find that applying liberally to skin and clothes gives me more time. And, with great refreshing notes, the ones I know and love never become cloying. I'm in the dead of winter right now while you're in summer 'down-under' - but it would be perfect for now. Citrus scents are impossible not to love for me. Another one I will look for in 3-4 months time...when you let us borrow the sun for a bit. ;-)

One thing I want to applaud you on, Renato - as I've read several of your posts and you and I have been on other threads. You seem to always have a slightly-unique perspective and I applaud that. While others "+1" a ton of threads, you often bring originality and a different, well-constructed view. I truly respect you on this forum and look forward to hearing more from you.

Cheers, mate!

A warning - I am very much in a minority here about these two scents.

Most people here in the past have bagged Pure Vetiver shockingly - think of it as Chrome, with the citrus replaced by Vetiver, but still having Chrome's great projection.

Much to my surprise though, one day a Basenotes guru - Scentemental - chimed in on one of those vetiver threads pointing out that Pure Vetiver was an over-the-top work of art like something Andy Warhol would do (well, words something like that and to that effect).

Pure Lavender I've just always liked - though the last thing it is - is pure lavender. It is absolutely nothing like the real pure type lavender scents, like Woods of wWndsor Lavender or Aqua Di Parma Lavanda Tonica.

I did manage to finally try Pure Cedrat in Italy five years ago. I thought it was pretty good when I sprayed it on my wrist in the shop, but lacking in the strength of the other two Pures, so I passed on it. Only problem was, two hours later as I was driving back home from that city, I started having regrets - it seemed to be smelling even better on my wrist than it had earlier. If I ever come across it again, I may retest and consider a purchase.
    Regards,
    Renato

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Azzaro pour Homme (vintage or current)
    Azzaro pour Homme Intense
    Acteur
    Pure Vetiver
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Basenotes Plus

Hey perfaddict -

Great taste...glad another vote for Pure Vetiver. I just bought a bottle with optimism.

Intense is, well...fantastic!

Cheers,

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Azzaro pour Homme (vintage or current)
    Azzaro pour Homme Intense
    Acteur
    Pure Vetiver

Azzaro Pour Homme Intense is back in production, right?
    Here at Brazil it can be found everywhere online, also fragrancenet is plenty of stock (i got mine from them)

"Jet Lag"? Wait, what?

Basenotes Plus

I just put on a full wearing of Azzaro Pour Homme (after letting a new formulation bottle "breathe" for a month or so). While Vintage is still definitely superior, I want to emphasize that this is still a very good bottle of juice. I am not wearing side-by-side with Vintage, which is probably also why it is showing much better today. ;-)

Interesting to note, but what I found before was an overly sharp, biting Anise note that was 'screechy' and the mid-notes somewhat muted leading to a decent dry-down upon first couple of full wearings of this brand new bottle (therefore, the disappointment). However, after letting some oxygen into this bottle (by giving it two nice generous wearings) and a good shake to integrate the molecules...the bottle has warmed up significantly! The top note is now much smoother, and I love anise! The middle is fuller and it integrates very well with the dry-down. I have to say, that I am realizing current formulation is truly a very decent bottle of juice - actually indeed, good!

Another key point, as many people (including Shamu here on BN has pointed out), Azzaro Pour Homme is an "aura-fragrance". You wear it on your chest, neck, wrists and other warm spots and it puts out a great radiating scent. It is not a projection monster, but it gives a nice aroma that surrounds you and goes out a few feet. I just took a break from work (and this thread) and played a little guitar and got my body temperature up (my other passion is playing rock guitar!) Azzaro Pour Homme now in full-stride... :-) ! The body heat is allowing it to resonate a great aura - plus, the tubes in my amp are glowing! Play hard & loud!

Great thread, everyone - please keep it flowing...!
    Last edited by ericrico; 15th March 2012 at 07:44 PM.

Acteur
    Vintage Azzaro pour homme
    Pure Vetiver (a nice, light, soapy vetiver)
    And my guilty pleasure, Azzaro Chrome Sport (lousy longevity, but I like the soapy lemon-grass smell.)
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Basenotes Plus

Nice -

Starting to be very happy about this Pure Vetiver purchase for Spring/Summer.

After your description, "a nice, light, soapy vetiver" - how does it compare to Thierry Mugler Cologne? Just curious if you find similarities.

Renato said, "think of it as Chrome, with the citrus replaced by Vetiver, but still having Chrome's great projection." Interesting idea and I know Chrome from way back as a nice, fresh and invigorating clean scent (but lacking in longevity).

Cheers,

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
    Acteur
    Vintage Azzaro pour homme
    Pure Vetiver (a nice, light, soapy vetiver)
    And my guilty pleasure, Azzaro Chrome Sport (lousy longevity, but I like the soapy lemon-grass smell.)

Basenotes Plus

Hello -

If you can get me a dozen bottles - do it, and I'll pay immediately!!!! ;-)

I think you are confusing Azzaro Pour Homme Intense with the red-colored bottle, Elixir...?

But, seriously, if you can get Azzaro Pour Homme Intense (Black bottle) - I would be so grateful!

Please confirm - cheers,

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Azzaro Pour Homme Intense is back in production, right?
    Here at Brazil it can be found everywhere online, also fragrancenet is plenty of stock (i got mine from them)

Hey Renato -

Good point...that was why my hesitation was there with Pure Vetiver. It is considered a Woody Aromatic with a vetiver accord, but not dominant. To call something "Pure" anything and then add top notes, additional middle and basenotes (total of around 10 with the vetiver!) is hardly a purist approach. But, forget the name...I know of of the reviewer you speak of and highly regard him as well. Case closed - I just found a bottle on eBay and sprung for it!

My vetiver wardrobe is starting to grow roots (pun intended) - I need to try something new and why not go with an Azzaro house fragrance that utilizes numerous notes in the composition that already appeal to me. Throw in a nice dose of vetiver...done deal. I look forward to it on warmer days.

Sidenote (apart from this Azzaro thread) - have you tried Adolfo Dominguez's Vetiver Hombre? Fantastic, ethereal and clean vetiver. Now, that could be called "Pure Vetiver" and hold true to name. Really a year-round scent, but due to its strength and projection - another fantastic warm weather vetiver that is truly great. Hard to find in the US, but I managed to get a bottle. Sold all over Europe and the rest of the world...

As for the Pure Cedrat - I wanted to ask, but refrained. Trying Pure Cedrat in Italy...I already like your style (my favorite place in the known universe - went there for my honeymoon!) Like all citrus-based fragrances, it is about longevity. I find that applying liberally to skin and clothes gives me more time. And, with great refreshing notes, the ones I know and love never become cloying. I'm in the dead of winter right now while you're in summer 'down-under' - but it would be perfect for now. Citrus scents are impossible not to love for me. Another one I will look for in 3-4 months time...when you let us borrow the sun for a bit. ;-)

One thing I want to applaud you on, Renato - as I've read several of your posts and you and I have been on other threads. You seem to always have a slightly-unique perspective and I applaud that. While others "+1" a ton of threads, you often bring originality and a different, well-constructed view. I truly respect you on this forum and look forward to hearing more from you.

Cheers, mate!
    Thanks for your comments. Let's just hope that when you get the Pure Vetiver you don't say "Blah". I always use a minimum of 6 sprays for most scents, including this one.

I did try Dominguez's Vetiver Hombre when it was briefly sold down here for Father's Day one year. I thought it smelled very good, but I was fastidious back then, and wouldn't buy a scent unless it passed my wrist test of being there with strength after 3 hours. Vetiver Hombre was marginal in that test, it was still there but not with as much strength as I wanted. I've since regreted not buying it at the time - a gift set with a big bottle and balm for $60. Since that time I've relaxed my criterion, such that I bought Etro Vetiver even though that was even less good in my wrist test. My absolute favourite raw type vetiver is the Villoresi one.

Having rediscovered my relatives in Italy (I stayed away a long time because, living in Australia, I was on Military Leave from their armed forces) my wife and I go there every two or three years. I love driving around there on their narrow fast-moving roads on the wrong side of the road. They often say to me "You have much bigger roads in Australia than here". To which I respond, "Yes, our roads are much bigger and better than yours - but we have a million traffic lights and thousands of speed cameras - I can travel much faster around the place on your roads." - which seems to endear me to them. So far, my greatest adventure was driving around Florence.

I keep a stash of scents where I stay in my parent's hometown in Italy, and Pure Vetiver is among them. Their equivalent of Brut over there is a scent called Malazia Uomo. It's sold everywhere, and it is a pretty decent vetiver scent. It's sold down here in a few places very inexpensively for $20 a bottle.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

Hey Renato -

Great note! I, too, have had the true fun and pleasure of driving IN Florence and all throughout Tuscany (Siena, Lucca, Pisa, & a lot more)! It was my honeymoon and I remember it like yesterday! I have never felt more alive than that...

I, too have (and really like) Etro Vetiver. Damn good juice man! Still looking for that bottle of Villoresi...maybe someday.

Vetiver Hombre is one that I accept the lack of longevity for as I love its purity and fresh vibe. I last wore it on a cool fall day (probably a bit too cool, but I was indoors) - just a few shots and took notes. After 2-3 hours or so, I put on some Guerlain and headed out...no worries. It had faded and, of course, seamlessly integrated with my next fragrance du jour. I actually like to wear two (or more) fragrances in a day. Longevity is not an issue for me as much as the quality of notes. Don't get me wrong - I love long-lasting powerhouses that evolve over 6-8+ hours, but at that point you're at the base...so why not re-layer a new scent a get fresh top and middle notes? That is my perspective. Just know what goes well with what - or take the easy way and jump in the shower and start your day over.

You have a passion for life, man. It comes through. Very cool - let's keep in touch.

And, I will definitely try to find a bottle of Malazia Uomo! I trust the taste of Italian locals - always will!

Cheers!

ericrico

Thanks for your comments. Let's just hope that when you get the Pure Vetiver you don't say "Blah". I always use a minimum of 6 sprays for most scents, including this one.

I did try Dominguez's Vetiver Hombre when it was briefly sold down here for Father's Day one year. I thought it smelled very good, but I was fastidious back then, and wouldn't buy a scent unless it passed my wrist test of being there with strength after 3 hours. Vetiver Hombre was marginal in that test, it was still there but not with as much strength as I wanted. I've since regreted not buying it at the time - a gift set with a big bottle and balm for $60. Since that time I've relaxed my criterion, such that I bought Etro Vetiver even though that was even less good in my wrist test. My absolute favourite raw type vetiver is the Villoresi one.

Having rediscovered my relatives in Italy (I stayed away a long time because, living in Australia, I was on Military Leave from their armed forces) my wife and I go there every two or three years. I love driving around there on their narrow fast-moving roads on the wrong side of the road. They often say to me "You have much bigger roads in Australia than here". To which I respond, "Yes, our roads are much bigger and better than yours - but we have a million traffic lights and thousands of speed cameras - I can travel much faster around the place on your roads." - which seems to endear me to them. So far, my greatest adventure was driving around Florence.

I keep a stash of scents where I stay in my parent's hometown in Italy, and Pure Vetiver is among them. Their equivalent of Brut over there is a scent called Malazia Uomo. It's sold everywhere, and it is a pretty decent vetiver scent. It's sold down here in a few places very inexpensively for $20 a bottle.
    Regards,
    Renato

ApH
    The very rare Jet Lag was pretty decent to my recollection. Visit is not bad as well, but a bit too dry for my taste.

Chrome for me. Was the only thing I used to wear a few years ago.

Hey Renato -

Great note! I, too, have had the true fun and pleasure of driving IN Florence and all throughout Tuscany (Siena, Lucca, Pisa, & a lot more)! It was my honeymoon and I remember it like yesterday! I have never felt more alive than that...

I, too have (and really like) Etro Vetiver. Damn good juice man! Still looking for that bottle of Villoresi...maybe someday.

Vetiver Hombre is one that I accept the lack of longevity for as I love its purity and fresh vibe. I last wore it on a cool fall day (probably a bit too cool, but I was indoors) - just a few shots and took notes. After 2-3 hours or so, I put on some Guerlain and headed out...no worries. It had faded and, of course, seamlessly integrated with my next fragrance du jour. I actually like to wear two (or more) fragrances in a day. Longevity is not an issue for me as much as the quality of notes. Don't get me wrong - I love long-lasting powerhouses that evolve over 6-8+ hours, but at that point you're at the base...so why not re-layer a new scent a get fresh top and middle notes? That is my perspective. Just know what goes well with what - or take the easy way and jump in the shower and start your day over.

You have a passion for life, man. It comes through. Very cool - let's keep in touch.

And, I will definitely try to find a bottle of Malazia Uomo! I trust the taste of Italian locals - always will!

Cheers!

ericrico
    Passion for life! - most people just think I'm ultra laid back.

Funnily enough, my drive to Florence, then Pisa, and around the walls of Lucca was during our honeymoon trip five and a half years ago, during our 3 month stay in Italy. Embarrassingly, I didn't know anything about Lucca, we were just on our way to Milan, so when we saw Lucca - I just drove around it. I felt like a twit when I later read about it in our guide book.

I used to wear two or three scents a day when I was working, but only occasionally do that nowadays. Etro Vetiver is very similar in style to the Villoresi one, though the Villoresi one lasts a lot longer - didn't you come across it in Florence? It was in quite a few stores when I was there.
    Cheers,
    Renato

how does it compare to Thierry Mugler Cologne?
    I don't think I've ever smelled Mugler Cologne, so I can't make a comparison.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Basenotes Plus

Renata -

This is eerie...you followed on the roads I did, just a few years later (as I was married in 1999). Lucca was a place my wife and I learned about just before arriving in Italy and locals in Florence were all saying it's so quaint and wonderful...they were right. Not to rub it in, sorry. You actually park your car outside the walled town and walk in - it is so amazing! We spent several hours there, had a snack and refreshing drink in the main piazza and went into numerous boutiques.

Ironically, in the small Northern California town I live in, a wonderful bistro opened up in the last few years with all food made from scratch. I finally met the owner (off-hours, just before they were open as I walked by and smelled the most incredible Italian food being prepared) - and just walked in! He is so warm, sincere, and passionate - and his entire family is from...Lucca! We talked until patrons were coming in - I went back into the kitchen with him. He was making slow-braised ossobuco, sauces, and an incredible soup that he let me taste. Needless to say, my wife and I have a little part of Lucca 10 minutes away that we love to visit!

I actually got a bottle of Etro Vetiver a while back online (not while in Italy) - love it! I find the vetiver in it to be very dry, rooty, slightly "burnt" - giving it a wonderful earthy/vibe. Not clean - but exceptional. While on our honeymoon, I did buy several very good fragrances - but they are all gone now. Distant memories...

And - Yes, you seem passionate as hell, man!!! Live life to its fullest! :-)

Laid back is fine...cheers!

Passion for life! - most people just think I'm ultra laid back.

Funnily enough, my drive to Florence, then Pisa, and around the walls of Lucca was during our honeymoon trip five and a half years ago, during our 3 month stay in Italy. Embarrassingly, I didn't know anything about Lucca, we were just on our way to Milan, so when we saw Lucca - I just drove around it. I felt like a twit when I later read about it in our guide book.

I used to wear two or three scents a day when I was working, but only occasionally do that nowadays. Etro Vetiver is very similar in style to the Villoresi one, though the Villoresi one lasts a lot longer - didn't you come across it in Florence? It was in quite a few stores when I was there.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Renata -

This is eerie...you followed on the roads I did, just a few years later (as I was married in 1999). Lucca was a place my wife and I learned about just before arriving in Italy and locals in Florence were all saying it's so quaint and wonderful...they were right. Not to rub it in, sorry. You actually park your car outside the walled town and walk in - it is so amazing! We spent several hours there, had a snack and refreshing drink in the main piazza and went into numerous boutiques.

Ironically, in the small Northern California town I live in, a wonderful bistro opened up in the last few years with all food made from scratch. I finally met the owner (off-hours, just before they were open as I walked by and smelled the most incredible Italian food being prepared) - and just walked in! He is so warm, sincere, and passionate - and his entire family is from...Lucca! We talked until patrons were coming in - I went back into the kitchen with him. He was making slow-braised ossobuco, sauces, and an incredible soup that he let me taste. Needless to say, my wife and I have a little part of Lucca 10 minutes away that we love to visit!

I actually got a bottle of Etro Vetiver a while back online (not while in Italy) - love it! I find the vetiver in it to be very dry, rooty, slightly "burnt" - giving it a wonderful earthy/vibe. Not clean - but exceptional. While on our honeymoon, I did buy several very good fragrances - but they are all gone now. Distant memories...

And - Yes, you seem passionate as hell, man!!! Live life to its fullest! :-)

Laid back is fine...cheers!
    1999! No wonder you didn't come across Villoresi scents. Back in 2005, no one we spoke to had heard of him. In the niche perfume shop next to our home town (the biggest niche shop I've ever come across), the lady was quite surprised that I knew all about Villoresi and had tested most of his scents. She said locals just didn't know him. But this had changed by our trip in 2007.

After going around Lucca we were on a road that went through the ski resort of Abatone, and which went past an old medieval bridge called "The Devil's Bridge", for which we had to pull over and walk over it. British tourists we met there told us it was famous, and people drive from many miles away to see it. Was that the road you were on?

Good to hear that you have authentic Lucca cooking so incredibly close by. I bet you use it a lot. The only thing that I don't like over there is the impossibility of finding any salted butteror edible salted margarine anywhere near where I live. Every town I visit, I walk into the supermarket in the vain hope that they'll have Lurpac or some other brand of salted butter.

Yes, it's very hard not to be taken by Etro Vetiver. I'm not that fond of that line, but I was also very taken by their Anice EDT scent.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 18th March 2012 at 04:33 PM.

Visit

Basenotes Plus

Hey Renato -

The road we took to Siena was SR222 (funny, because we got married on the 22nd of May, our "lucky number) - we heard it was gorgeous, and it was!!!! Two-lane highway, rolling hills with views of majestic Tuscany in ALL its glory - olive, wine, beautiful villas with cypress lined dirt roads! It was perfect. For a decent part of it, it is close to (but much more intimate) than the "Raccordo" which is a divided multi-lane highway that goes south from Florence to Siena...quicker and somewhat scenic, but we got onto SR222 as soon as possible! We stopped numerous times for panoramic shots and have photo albums full of Tuscan beauty. The smell in the air was something incredible - so pure.

Didn't stop at "The Devil's Bridge" though...and we took a little detour to get to Lucca after...and then Pisa, which was brief (leaning tower and a quick spin around town). We decided, on a romantic whim, to drive to see the Mediterranean that day for a sunset and made it to Livorno on the coast. Not the cleanest city, but we found a nice beach and soaked up the sun and ocean breeze before letting the sun head down. We made it back to Florence late at night...not many places open, so we settled for a restaurant at a 5-star hotel that said they would serve us and had appetizers and a Sambuca ghiaccio e mosche (Sambuca with three "flies" - coffee beans) for health, happiness & prosperity. A classic drink that the bartender made us (on the house) when he found out we were on our honeymoon! The people of Italy are simplest the nicest and warmest in the world I have yet to meet - period.

Any way, yes, Etro Vetiver is (in my humble opinion) an excellent vetiver. I have a nice 100ml bottle that is about 80% full or so. It only takes a little...and it is also great as a layering scent. So, speaking of Italy - I have loved (if you have read some of my other posts) Gianfranco Ferre for Man for many years (it is a Top 5 for me). The original vintage formulation, which I have several bottles of ( ;-) ), has a fantastic woody, vetiver, & leather drydown - brilliant and chic juice! I noticed a strong similarity between the vetiver accord in GFF for Man and Etro Vetiver and actually have layered them. It is nothing short of fantastic! I wait until the GFF for Man has warmed up to the great floral middle and is touching the wood and vetiver in the base notes (leather comes in a bit later for me). I apply just a little Etro Vetiver and the scent integrates wonderfully. Sure, I wear it alone, but I wanted to share that as I am starting to find linear scents that accentuate great compositions - you simply amplify the notes you love and get more longevity. I have been successful with several amber fragrances as well.

I wish you the best - cheers,

ericrico

1999! No wonder you didn't come across Villoresi scents. Back in 2005, no one we spoke to had heard of him. In the niche perfume shop next to our home town (the biggest niche shop I've ever come across), the lady was quite surprised that I knew all about Villoresi and had tested most of his scents. She said locals just didn't know him. But this had changed by our trip in 2007.

After going around Lucca we were on a road that went through the ski resort of Abatone, and which went past an old medieval bridge called "The Devil's Bridge", for which we had to pull over and walk over it. British tourists we met there told us it was famous, and people drive from many miles away to see it. Was that the road you were on?

Good to hear that you have authentic Lucca cooking so incredibly close by. I bet you use it a lot. The only thing that I don't like over there is the impossibility of finding any salted butteror edible salted margarine anywhere near where I live. Every town I visit, I walk into the supermarket in the vain hope that they'll have Lurpac or some other brand of salted butter.

Yes, it's very hard not to be taken by Etro Vetiver. I'm not that fond of that line, but I was also very taken by their Anice EDT scent.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    Visit
    My favorite as well. I love this frag and it is cheap nowadays
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Renata -

OK, now this is weird I join a talk about Azzaro and we end up talking about one of my favorite places in the world, Lucca. I was lucky enough to spend 3 summers there for an opera program I was in. Such a great place! I just saw some of Lucca on TV as part of the "Who do you think you are" program on NBC, brought back so many memories.

Just had to chime in

I don't like azzaro pour homme. Seen at at Marshalls and Tj Maxx for $20. Didn't get it.

I would have to say Chrome.

Hey Renato -

The road we took to Siena was SR222 (funny, because we got married on the 22nd of May, our "lucky number) - we heard it was gorgeous, and it was!!!! Two-lane highway, rolling hills with views of majestic Tuscany in ALL its glory - olive, wine, beautiful villas with cypress lined dirt roads! It was perfect. For a decent part of it, it is close to (but much more intimate) than the "Raccordo" which is a divided multi-lane highway that goes south from Florence to Siena...quicker and somewhat scenic, but we got onto SR222 as soon as possible! We stopped numerous times for panoramic shots and have photo albums full of Tuscan beauty. The smell in the air was something incredible - so pure.

Didn't stop at "The Devil's Bridge" though...and we took a little detour to get to Lucca after...and then Pisa, which was brief (leaning tower and a quick spin around town). We decided, on a romantic whim, to drive to see the Mediterranean that day for a sunset and made it to Livorno on the coast. Not the cleanest city, but we found a nice beach and soaked up the sun and ocean breeze before letting the sun head down. We made it back to Florence late at night...not many places open, so we settled for a restaurant at a 5-star hotel that said they would serve us and had appetizers and a Sambuca ghiaccio e mosche (Sambuca with three "flies" - coffee beans) for health, happiness & prosperity. A classic drink that the bartender made us (on the house) when he found out we were on our honeymoon! The people of Italy are simplest the nicest and warmest in the world I have yet to meet - period.

Any way, yes, Etro Vetiver is (in my humble opinion) an excellent vetiver. I have a nice 100ml bottle that is about 80% full or so. It only takes a little...and it is also great as a layering scent. So, speaking of Italy - I have loved (if you have read some of my other posts) Gianfranco Ferre for Man for many years (it is a Top 5 for me). The original vintage formulation, which I have several bottles of ( ;-) ), has a fantastic woody, vetiver, & leather drydown - brilliant and chic juice! I noticed a strong similarity between the vetiver accord in GFF for Man and Etro Vetiver and actually have layered them. It is nothing short of fantastic! I wait until the GFF for Man has warmed up to the great floral middle and is touching the wood and vetiver in the base notes (leather comes in a bit later for me). I apply just a little Etro Vetiver and the scent integrates wonderfully. Sure, I wear it alone, but I wanted to share that as I am starting to find linear scents that accentuate great compositions - you simply amplify the notes you love and get more longevity. I have been successful with several amber fragrances as well.

I wish you the best - cheers,

ericrico
    I see, you did a circuit to Sienna, Lucca, Pisa and back to Florence. We haven't done Sienna yet, instead doing the trip Florence, Pisa, Lucca, Abetone, Modena, Milan (and then to Laveno on Lago Maggiore, Lugano in Switzerland before driving back to our home base. If you go back to Italy, you'll probably be impressed with the towns around Lago Maggiore and the three famous islands in the middle of it. It's where a heap of Italian honeymooners go, though we only went there because two British tourists we met on top of the Devil's Bridge, told us it was worth seeing.

We had really good hospitality in Florence too, getting special liqueurs as well at a restaurant we thought fantastic where we just kept going back there. However, don't expect the same kind of hospitality in other tourist hotspots. We really liked Florence because, unlike in certain other tourist places, they weren't trying to gouge the tourists. Prices were akin to what we were used to paying in the hometown, instead of being over the top.

I do have a bottle of GFF in big writing on a gold bottle, which I don't think is anything like the GFF scent that you describe. My favourite of his is Pontaccio 21. Interesting your experiments in mixing scents. I was so unsuccessful that I gave up on the notion. I even have a bottle of L'Artisan Amber Extreme that my wife gave back to me as she got headaches from it, and I can't mix it successfully with any other amber scent, even as an amber booster.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOpera View Post
    OK, now this is weird I join a talk about Azzaro and we end up talking about one of my favorite places in the world, Lucca. I was lucky enough to spend 3 summers there for an opera program I was in. Such a great place! I just saw some of Lucca on TV as part of the "Who do you think you are" program on NBC, brought back so many memories.

Just had to chime in
    Thanks for rubbing it in - I'm still kicking myself for having driven around it, instead of checking it out. I swear it's in every guidebook we've since purchased.
    Renato

Chrome and PH are the only I've tried. I think both are solid and very good value, but I do prefer others in their same class.
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

Visit

Basenotes Plus

Hey SteelerOpera and all the others who chimed in on Azzaro Visit -

I have, for one reason or another, stayed away from this. I heard either very good things about it or that it was too synthetic and had some "off-notes". I read the pyramid and I love what it has to offer: "Top notes: cardamom, nutmeg, pink pepper, ginger. The heart: Lebanese cedar, guaiac tree, incense. The base: gray amber, musk." A very big plus - the perfume was created by Annick Menardo.

Some people mentioned great longevity as well (6-8+ hours of nice, rich scent).

Any follow up on this would be appreciated...cheers,

Eric

My favorite as well. I love this frag and it is cheap nowadays

Basenotes Plus

Hey MOONB -

I wanted to come back to this. I just got a 2nd bottle of Vintage Acteur in a 100ml Splash Bottle over the weekend! I found that, like a lot of older fragrances, you need to open them up and let them breathe oxygen. The first one I got, I honestly thought (at first sniff), that it may have turned - long before starting this thread. However, I put several dabs on the back of my hand and within 5-10 minutes it was absolutely radiating the rich, deep rose scent with gorgeous moss and leather! It was in need of an "awakening" - much like decanting wine that is closed or bottle-muted. As there is a little air in the top of the bottle, I gave it several vigorous shakes (while holding firmly onto the lid of the splash-on bottle) - otherwise, I'm the fool, ;-)

Any way, I let it sit open for an hour or two and breathe and repeated the "shaken, not stirred" approach a couple of times I dabbed on new parts of body, clothes, etc. It got better and better. After letting air into this Vintage Acteur, it came into absolutely perfect form! I am still astonished at the transformation. I ended up wearing it out that night (since I had done several dabs throughout the day) and sprayed a little Vintage Acteur from a bottle I have. It is even darker and richer (for the first 30 minutes or so) but they settle into the same amazing, beautiful scent. I smelled incredible that night and got a number of compliments - one was downright amazing!

So, has yours turned - or is it shutdown?

Cheers,

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Would have to be Acteur for me.

Actually, I'm looking forward to trying the reformulation. I liked my vintage but true to Azzaro fashion, I think the juice aged badly (I also had a bottle of Pour Homme that was a tad bit off). Need a fresh take on Acteur - don't need any more takes on Pour Homme.

@eric

Can you perhaps explain the differences between the vintage and the current Acteur?
    I own the current (as u know) which I consider as a high level, niche like spicy tea-rose scent.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Annick Goutal: Ambre Fetiche
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Revillon R
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Acqua di Parma: Colonia Intensa Oud
    - Histoires de Parfums: 1740 Marquis de Sade
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Basenotes Plus

Hey Slayerized -

Good to hear from you, my friend. I have just tested the new formulation (after posting my review here on BN as I thought I could buy the new stuff and save money) - it is definitely good, but not as rich and deep. The rose scent is definitely there (I like what you said, "spicy tea-rose"). The top notes in the current formulation are more bright and sharp with a nice spice accent - citrus is more apparent in current versus vintage juice (bergamot mainly), along with the cardamom note adding a very nice spicy accent in both (personally, I find the cardamom a little deeper and longer lived in vintage). Nutmeg is in both (equal) along with the interesting "bowl of mixed fruit" that lasts in both for about 20-30 minutes. I find the fruit in the vintage to be dried (along with the mace accord) versus fresh and crisp in the current - interesting note, that gives the vintage juice, in my opinion, a really rich, slight "booziness" to it. Awesome warmth in vintage while you get a lighter, more airy note from the current (again, both good though). The mace is key here, along with the fruit, rose, carnation (sharpness), and spices - to create the boozy vibe. I love this...truly one of the most radiant openings for a fragrance one can imagine lies in the Vintage juice. Current is still good, but as a lot of people describe it - it is a lighter tea-rose (some people have said "fizzy-rose" here and other places) with the bright citrus and spices that stays linear with wood integrating. It loses the strength and power most in the base notes, but even in the heart - it is not as rich.

The depth of Vintage, and the significant difference between the two, though, is in the dry down, as forementioned. Our long, lost exiled 'friend' that IFRA took away from us (like a big bully taking away a little child's favorite toy)...oakmoss, which is THE absolute key. A note that "dampens" the entire fragrance and enriches the base - beautifully integrating it with wood and warm leather, just simply gone. No one would ever describe Vintage Acteur as "fizzy" as it radiates on your skin! The very ripe and dark rose here has been in a vase for a few days and even lost a couple of petals (it is not a fresh bloom that just opened up pinned to a lapel). It smells rich, deep and intense - especially with the oakmoss being a very key element in the base. I noticed lighter leather in the current formula too, but then again, the entire composition is drier (no booze), and more airy...with an emphasis on putting that rose out in the garden surrounded by trees (wood scents)!

So, which makes a better office scent - probably current formulation, unless you are a C-level executive. This is masculine as hell in the original formula and wet, deep, boozy and leathery. I would buy current formulation if I could not find original. But, to have tried both now, I will continue to seek out Vintage and keep several bottles on hand.

As I mentioned in my review - this is radiating and breathes on the skin which creates, in the Azzaro-vibe, an aura scent (as Shamu pointed out about Azzaro Pour Homme). I like to give this a full wearing of this damn-near (if not, true) masterpiece on pulse points, a couple of sprays to the chest and a nice few sprays (or few dabs) to the back of my hands and clothing. Over a few hours, your body heat will keep this scent alive and going and your clothing will carry the top and middle notes beautifully - but you cannot apply this lightly or you will not smell the fragrance as it is meant to worn.

So, I hope that helps cover the differences - summary:

Original: less citrus; deeper, spicy & boozy top and middle with great warmth and fantastic damp oakmoss, rich leather and wood in the base.

Current - brighter, lighter, more citrus with a nice spicy kick that integrates nice wood and evokes more freshness.

That is my analysis - any thoughts, fellow Basenoters?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    @eric

Can you perhaps explain the differences between the vintage and the current Acteur?
    I own the current (as u know) which I consider as a high level, niche like spicy tea-rose scent.
    Last edited by ericrico; 20th March 2012 at 06:04 AM.

Hey SteelerOpera and all the others who chimed in on Azzaro Visit -

I have, for one reason or another, stayed away from this. I heard either very good things about it or that it was too synthetic and had some "off-notes". I read the pyramid and I love what it has to offer: "Top notes: cardamom, nutmeg, pink pepper, ginger. The heart: Lebanese cedar, guaiac tree, incense. The base: gray amber, musk." A very big plus - the perfume was created by Annick Menardo.

Some people mentioned great longevity as well (6-8+ hours of nice, rich scent).

Any follow up on this would be appreciated...cheers,

Eric
    Hey there I do not think it is overly synthetic at all.. although the definition of "synthetic" can differ from person to person. For example, I think that Prada Amber PH is quite synthetic to my nose, but I love it...

I do not get what ppl say about the "off notes", everything is in line to my nose. When I think of frags that have off notes or notes that don't agree I think of D&G The One Gentlemen and Trump Success, but I think this one flows quite nicely!

I think I might have a little extra love for this since I found it on my own in a Perfumania (I think) before I really got overboard into frags, but by all means TRY THIS ONE I just put it on and can't stop smelling my hand. And Yes, I can also attest to its good longevity, I don't think I get 8 hours, but I'd say you can get a good 5 hours for sure.

Try it!

I love the peppery quality of this one and seem to have quite a few

Basenotes Plus

Thank you -

Much appreciated. Your follow-up and all the support of Visit has made me realize that I need to just buy this. I love pepper, incense and wood in fragrance. Annick Menardo is someone I trust as well. Plus, it has been around for 9 years with a lot of affection. How I didn't blind-buy this sooner is beyond me. However, I already have a seller in mind who has a bottle with my name on it...

Cheers,

Eric

Hey there I do not think it is overly synthetic at all.. although the definition of "synthetic" can differ from person to person. For example, I think that Prada Amber PH is quite synthetic to my nose, but I love it...

I do not get what ppl say about the "off notes", everything is in line to my nose. When I think of frags that have off notes or notes that don't agree I think of D&G The One Gentlemen and Trump Success, but I think this one flows quite nicely!

I think I might have a little extra love for this since I found it on my own in a Perfumania (I think) before I really got overboard into frags, but by all means TRY THIS ONE I just put it on and can't stop smelling my hand. And Yes, I can also attest to its good longevity, I don't think I get 8 hours, but I'd say you can get a good 5 hours for sure.

Try it!

I love the peppery quality of this one and seem to have quite a few