Code of Conduct

Default A small victory against compulsive fragrance purchases!

I've been trying hard to concentrate on only buying scents that I truly LOVE, not buying blind, and generally taming down my fragrance purchases before things get way out of hand. It's been hard, and I almost slipped up a bit tonite, but I was actually able to turn down a reasonably good buy.. It seems silly, but walking out of the store empty handed really felt like a small victory!

I'd received a $50 gift card for Christmas and found several gift sets of Obsession Night 4oz + 4oz after shave for $25 on clearance. One of them was opened so I sprayed a bit on and walked around the mall for an hour trying to decide if it was a worthwhile buy. My overall impression was "yea, it's kinda nice.. I could wear this" but then my mind started in on the: "Well, it's just $25.. why not??" "Hey!! you could always trade it to someone on Basenotes!" even down to the rediculous logic of "It'll look neat sitting next to all the other bottles!"

Now all I have to do is talk myself out of going back for it tomorrow..

Default Re: A small victory against compulsive fragrance purchases!

Can you hold onto it while you decide on something you like more?

Not quite sure what you mean...

I've got enough scents that I don't really *NEED* another one and I'm just trying to get away from buying stuff I don't actually *LOVE*.. An example would be - I really would like to buy a bottle of CDG - Ouarzazate or Le Labo - Vetiver 46.. While a $25 purchase may just seam initially like a "good deal, why not??" - in reality it's half way to being able to buy something I REALLY would love to wear (or just under 1/4 way there in the case of the Le Labo)

Cool Re: A small victory against compulsive fragrance purchases!

I think restricitng ourselves to those fragrances we love is a great idea. If life is short, why wear anything less than a 5 star frag?

Of course we may change our minds about which are 5 stars, getting a decant and then ordering a bottle is not an infallible system--but it's the way to bet. Speaking of betting, credit cards remind me of the saying:

"Whoever invented poker was clever; whoever invented the chip was a genius. ..."

So true, because neither the chip nor the plastic feels like real money. We'd cut down a lot in our spending if we had to lay out cash, imo.

Well, pleasure-as Ayn Rand was fond of saying, is not a luxury, it's a necessity. How very true. And this expensive little hobby does give me great pleasure.

Except I see I'm out of control when I spend more than I can afford on a regular basis, and when I buy blind. Let alone when I buy a frag I ran out years ago, and forgot the reason I didn't buy it in years was that I didn't really like it that much. What's up with all this addiction?

I mean come on! I like fine wines, the occasional great cigar, Japanese incense, caviar, travel and---

But there's something specifically askew here. No way do I spend the amount of money on other " Isn't life a banquet" assorted Epicurean joys.

For one thing, I can't book a trip to Europe, or buy a vintage Jag for the same amount of $ as I can buy an edt--I believe this is called reality--For that matter, the same applies to the best of designer clothing.

I think beyond the obvious psychological truisms, e.g; smell is a primal attractor for the opposite sex, people go on buying binges when they're feeling down, some scents evoke pleasant childhood memories, etc. The clue may lie in the clothing dept.

Note we call our frags " Our Wardrobe. " Part of the function of a wardrobe--beyond keeping us warm, is the way in which we choose to present ourselves to the world.

Let a homeless person wander about pushing a shopping cart and many will think " There goes a bum. "

Same scenario, only have him smoke a pipe and some will think: " Ah! There goes a philosopher. "

As Oscar Wilde said, people are so superficial they do not understand the philosophy of the superficial.

Care to understand it? First step, do not cringe at the word.

Second step, move from Oscar to his contemporary, George Bernard Shaw.

Ever see " My Fair Lady " based almost verbatim on his play, " Pygmalion " ?

Now, let me get this right. One can pass off a 'common flower girl' as a Duchess, simply by getting her to pronounce English differently?

Snobbery works.

Would you care to be treated as a Duke/Duchess or a as lower class non-entity?

Really, what class , pizazz and dashing style we display when we spritz-- ( fill in the blank) Bravo! Bravissimo!

And it's a helluva lot cheaper than a 'real' wardrobe, esp. an upper-class one.

Oh, btw I used to own a vintage Jaguar, which is probably why I never got to Europe. The bloody machine cost a fortune to maintain.

And to think I make fun of people who buy $300 leather Gucci checkbook covers because they think that when others see the word Gucci, it shows " class. "

Mario, the impoverished aristocrat

Sure . . .

Hey! Here's a New Year's resolution:
    I'll stay away fom the forums till Feb 1st.
    It'll be a small victory.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Wink Re: A small victory against compulsive fragrance purchases!

I DID IT~

Stayed away till Feb 1

Small victory.

Did not buy any frags

Spent a bit too much on incense, though. Esp Shoyeido Premium

Well, I said it was a small vitory
    My Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani
    I DID IT~

Stayed away till Feb 1

Small victory.

Did not buy any frags

Spent a bit too much on incense, though. Esp Shoyeido Premium

Well, I said it was a small vitory
    !Que bien hecho, amigo!
    Good for you. I've been trying to stay disciplined, but I still bought a couple bottles, albeit very discounted from Nearfantastica. With the weather being pretty lousy and little to do outside, I'm been spamming everyone here, making up for your absence.

Absinthe, of course, makes the heart grow fonder.

Dave

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento
    !Que bien hecho, amigo!
    Good for you. I've been trying to stay disciplined, but I still bought a couple bottles, albeit very discounted from Nearfantastica. With the weather being pretty lousy and little to do outside, I'm been spamming everyone here, making up for your absence.

Dave
    When my fifth came back from an extended absinthe after our divorce I had already predicted the worm wood return someday..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by kbe
    When my fifth came back from an extended absinthe after our divorce I had already predicted the worm wood return someday..
    KBE,
    Yes! :bounce:
    Slowly the worm turns, step by step.

Hey, I resemble that remark?! I couldn't have said it better yourself.

Your masterful prolixity demonstrates profundity, and is a boon to homme-kind!

Oh oh, I violated the serious post rule!
    Last edited by Cognoscento; 2nd February 2007 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento
    LOL! I haven't heard that one before!

Cool Re: A small victory against compulsive fragrance purchases!

Quote Originally Posted by Drzed
    LOL! I haven't heard that one before!
    Well, actually I came up with that one. Dave is justified in ribbing me, esp since I dropped it from my signature to make room for my 'magnificent 7' frags, then for Plato's quote: " Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. "

Hmm . . .Plato's should belong in a Buddhist or pacifist forum.

Back we go.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe