Code of Conduct

Question Best U.S. online sources for Diptyque?

I'm going to bite the bullet and order a 100ml of Tam Dao. I'll still try the other santals, but I CANNOT be without this in the coming weeks and my 2.5ml sample is almost kissed.

I could only find four U.S. retailers and would like your opinions on them, positive or negative.

www.aedes.com
    based in NY, seven free samples with order, they carry the Villoresi line, but not Sandalo, which I'm dying to try

www.beautyhabit.com
    based in CA, $11 for six samples, but no LV, they only carry 50ml in Diptyque so they're essentially off my list

www.fourseasonsproducts.com
    based in FL, $5 for four samples but no LV, many other niche brands, free shipping over $50

www.lusciouscargo.com
    no idea where they're based, five free samples with minimum $30 order, they carry LV, but no Sandalo, and many other niche brands including Costume National (the only retailer of the four that carries CN) I'm really leaning toward this one, but know NOTHING about them. Has anyone had success with this retailer? The "contact us" link is email only. Their website banner says, "Swank fragrances and gifts", which leads me to believe that they might be overseas. No one I know says, "swank" OR "posh"

Thanks!

Paul
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

Default Re: Best U.S. online sources for Diptyque?

I would go with Aedes. They might have Sandalo in their store but not on their site. If not, i'm sure they can and will order it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsibility
    I'm going to bite the bullet and order a 100ml of Tam Dao. I'll still try the other santals, but I CANNOT be without this in the coming weeks and my 2.5ml sample is almost kissed.
    Is this that good? What do you think of its longevity?
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    Is this that good? What do you think of its longevity?
    Here's my post from the santal comparison thread...

DW commented last night on the Tam Dao. It was still there as a skin scent on my neck after nearly 12 hours. Many have complained about poor longevity with the Dao, so I thought I'd mention it. I have been using 3 spritzes on the neck, and one on the shirt collar. I can still smell myself 6-8 hours later with this method. I still smelled it on one of my shirts after 24+ hours (been wearing TD all week)

Actually, make that 48+ hours on the shirt. I just threw it in the wash and could STILL smell it. I read someone's post about spraying on clothes to extend longevity - can't remember where. The frag purists would advise against this, I'm sure, but TD is so linear, it doesn't really matter. There is almost no interaction with my chemistry. What the bottle smells like is what you get. Just on skin I would guess six hours tops with moderate sillage...
    I changed shirts and DW could still smell it on my neck after 12+ hours...

BTW ifconfig, did your package arrive?

P
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

There is a wonderful little shop in my home state (MN) that offers Diptyque products. Here is a link:

http://www.cherieusa.com/prodlist.as...gory=0&brand=2

If you call or email them, they are pretty helpful and friendly. Their website doesn't show everything that they offer in-store for some reason, so you should call if you have questions. I've purchased a few bottles from them recently and I've met the owner- it's a trustworthy business IMO.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Tam Dao's pretty decent -and it lasts atleast 8 hours on me. I dont get the comments where people say it disappears within an hour after application.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Tam Dao's pretty decent -and it lasts atleast 8 hours on me. I dont get the comments where people say it disappears within an hour after application.

You know, I've noticed that pretty much anything with wood resin/extract will fade to the wearer's nose rapidly while retaining its actual longevity to bystanders. This happens to me with Gucci ph, avignon, T.D., etc.
    Frustrating maybe, but one should be careful with the dosage with that in mind.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    You know, I've noticed that pretty much anything with wood resin/extract will fade to the wearer's nose rapidly while retaining its actual longevity to bystanders. This happens to me with Gucci ph, avignon, T.D., etc.
    Frustrating maybe, but one should be careful with the dosage with that in mind.

-ben
    Ben,

With that in mind, do you think my "3 on the neck and 1 on the shirt" theory is overkill or just about right? Before joining basenotes, I was a "one on the neck and one on the wrist" type. This is too little now, IMO, for many frags.

Paul

~ Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsibility
    Ben,

With that in mind, do you think my "3 on the neck and 1 on the shirt" theory is overkill or just about right? Before joining basenotes, I was a "one on the neck and one on the wrist" type. This is too little now, IMO, for many frags.

Paul
    Ask a trusted friend if they can smell your perfume after 4/5 hours. 'If they can smell it' is different than 'How do I smell'. That puts people on the spot and they'll say whatever it takes to make you stop asking weird questions. If they can smell it at all after 4 hours with your current dose, then take into account where they were standing

The problem with my advice is that I work mostly alone, usually in a large aircraft hangar, and my only coworker can't really smell anything. So yes, I tend to put more on than most people. But putting on juice that you won't be able to smell later- that's just wasteful. Thus, I've learned to go with my usual dose of woody scents instead of trying to keep up with my nose's attenuation.

I've had people comment on (for example) how wonderful Avignon smelled after over 10 hours, and that was for two-three sprays. Of course, I couldn't even tell it was there.So yes, be careful.

-ben

ps- oh yes, I forgot. The 3+1 spray technique is what I use, but remember where I wear it. That might be a bit much for the office, unless you have a really long drive in the morning.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

Are you an A&P, Ben?

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    Are you an A&P, Ben?
    The military (and thus uncertified) equivalent. I thought about getting my A&P cert, but I would take a pay cut doing that work for any civilian shops around here. Perhaps someday I might look into working for Lockheed Martin as a civilian technician, but I'll worry about that when the time comes. Do you work in aerospace, too?

-ben

(Sorry for going OT)
    Nihil Obstat Ben

No, but on my way to a PP-ASEL certificate. I don't blame you re civilian A&P, that's a bunch of hard work for too little dough at most places. Good luck!

Sorry, back to perfumery now.

Aedes is great. They ship promptly, you can request samples. I've ordered with them a number of times and have been satsified each time.

I had a negative experience with luscious cargo, which I believe is located in the US (somewhere in the south -- maybe Texas). I ordered something from L'Artisan, which they evidentally didn't have in stock. They never notified me. They didn't answer emails. After maybe three weeks, I emailed them asking them to cancel the order. Never heard any explanation or apology. It could have been an isolated experience, but I decided never to order with them again.

Quote Originally Posted by UngerWoo

I had a negative experience with luscious cargo, which I believe is located in the US (somewhere in the south -- maybe Texas). I ordered something from L'Artisan, which they evidentally didn't have in stock. They never notified me. They didn't answer emails. After maybe three weeks, I emailed them asking them to cancel the order. Never heard any explanation or apology. It could have been an isolated experience, but I decided never to order with them again.
    Trust me, from what i have read on other fragrance boards...it was not an isolated experience!

Although, i must admit, the three or four times that i ordered from them in the past, everything went smoothly. This is when they still were in i think, Atlanta. They are now somewhere in Florida. Maybe when they made the move everything went downhill.

I will never take a chance and order from them again.