Code of Conduct

Post `- A LesNez-ian Experience -'

I finally finished testing the LesNez samples and wanted to share my views on the three samples The Unicorn Spell, Let me Play the Lion and The Anti Matter:

-----------------

The Unicorn Spell was designed around the concept of “frostiness, violet, moonlight and transparency." To me it smells anything but transparent or frosty. Vegetal and very green, it should have been named The Unicorn Breath instead.

Violet flower forms the main heart of the fragrance. Its all about raw vegetal violets. The opening smells like salty cold cucumbers lying on a dinner plate in a hot and humid room. I dont know how this is supposed to convey frostiness and transparency. I doubt you will smell anything like this at the Himalayas or the North Pole. A floral (berry?) heart provides much needed sapidity to the droning violet accord, and the drydown introduces a pleasant but muted tea note. Longevity is 5-6 hours.

The Unicorn Spell fails to live up to its original flowery (no pun intended) description. Judged solely on its composition, I dont find it to be a particularly appealing violet fragrance either. If you are looking for a fragrance which highlights the vegetal dirtiness of violet, this might be worth investigating. I would recommend you try the classic Green Irish Tweed first, a fragrance which not only showcases the vegetal side of violet extremely well, but flanks it with notes of lemon verbana and sandalwood to form a very compelling potion. If you are on a budget, look no further than the excellent Grey Flannel - a superbly blended fragrance which is a must for violet lovers.

2.5/5.0

---------------

Let me Play The Lion (LPTL - theres no way I am going to type that entire name again in this review) smells a lot like L'Artisan Fou D'Absinthe (FDA). I am guessing that the middle and basenotes are similar, with cedar replacing the absinthe heavy top of Fou D'Absinthe in LPTL.

Cedar is the first observable note, and is immediately followed by a not-so-roaring spicy sweet accord of spices and anise. Pine/Fir provide a tranquil frosty base to the spicy composition. Its not too hot, and its not too cold. It smells like a Moroccan spice market in winter (add some flacon loads of candied honey and sugar, and it would qualify as a Serge Lutens fragrance)

I think I prefer LPTL to FDA - while equally watery, it lacks the blackcurrant note which nearly ruined FDA for me. Its not intriguing enough for me to wear on a regular basis, and the name is too wordy and stupid for me to say it out loud in case I am complimented on it - for that reason alone, I might opt for FDA most of the times. Let This Be a Lesson for LesNez to Choose Less Doltish Names for its Fragrances (LTBLLCLDNF).

3.0/5.0

------------------

"Thou shall not cheat the customer with a misleading headnote", say LesNez. How about "Thou shall not cheat the customer selling a perfume concoction which skimps on notes and passing it off as an example of sophisticated niche minimalism", eh LesNez ?

The LesNez perfumer has been working on L'Anitimatiere (The Anti-matter) for 10 years....TEN years !! And this is the end result ? A faint alcohol opening, followed by a mineral water smell (i.e., nothing), before settling 20 minutes later into a trifling musk base which is barely perceptible 2 hours later.

I like the concept of anti-matter: from Wikipedia "Antimatter is not found naturally on Earth, except very briefly and in vanishingly small quantities (as the result of radioactive decay or cosmic rays). This is because antimatter which comes to exist on Earth outside the confines of a suitably equipped physics laboratory would inevitably come into contact with the ordinary matter that Earth is made of, and be annihilated." However, uninteresting minimalism demonstrations like L'Antimatiere deployed using basic notes like alcohol and musk are *not* interesting. Skip this alcohol + water + musk travesty and try Gendarme: minimalism done with panache, quality, and longevity. Heres a physics lesson for LesNez - after this one bombs, their lofty hot air ambitions will come down to earth.

1.0/5.0

---------------
    -

Default Re: `- A LesNez-ian Experience -'

Yeah, I don't get L'Antimatiere either

At first I was disappointed that my sample had been ruined/contaminated, but I think I was even MORE disappointed to learn that L'Antimatiere was supposed to smell like nothing.

I could carry a blade of grass in my pocket, and that would have more longevity and sillage than L'Antimatiere. For that matter, I could keep a handful of air in my pocket, and that would be equal to the scent of L'Antimatiere. As you might be able to tell, I was not impressed.

The water that comes out of my tap has more scent than this stuff. I am not kidding. And I am from Duluth, the land of the purportedly best-tasting tap water in the country.

$85 for a 50ml bottle? Are they nuts? Luckyscent says, "Sometimes it opens up on a wearer’s skin like a sultry, enveloping blend of amber and animalic musk." Yes, and Kouros has a breezy freshness that seems to turn summer heat into soothing ocean mist.

As Lewis Black said: "I wonder where can one find a drug that could make one so delusional?"

I'm going to spray on some more Kouros just to settle myself down a little.

-ben
    Last edited by greyhueofdoubt; 31st December 2006 at 05:54 PM.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Sampled Let me Play the Lion last night (full wearing). Did nothing for me at all. I like more kick and longevity in my fragrances. Smelled kinda nice for the first 10 minutes though.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents
    Sampled Let me Play the Lion last night (full wearing). Did nothing for me at all. I like more kick and longevity in my fragrances. Smelled kinda nice for the first 10 minutes though.
    My experience with LMPTL is in the other direction. On Friday I sprayed one spray from the (2.5ml?) sample on each ankle, put on sox and shoes and had that spice/warm scent fleetingly play with my nose all day, particularly when I sat with one leg crossed over the other. The sox came off that night, ankles still wafting aromatics from that morning's single sprays, and the sox were rolled individually and stored in the same shoes for a later laundry trip. This Sunday AM I did just that, took the sox out for a trip to the washing machine, and I was very surprised to find the LMPTL scent still moderately strong in both sox.

So for me anyway it is a long-lasting scent, and one I really enjoy.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by kbe
    My experience with LMPTL is in the other direction.

So for me anyway it is a long-lasting scent, and one I really enjoy.
    Many low longevity fragrances last a long time if sprayed on clothes, etc.
    -

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Well there you have it then. Problem with LMPTL longevity solved to a great degree. Going nekkid? Wear at least a neck bandana or a pair of sox with a spray.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I droppped the L'Anitimatiere sampler I received from Les Nez and broke the mini-bottle into pieces and spilled the juice on the floor. Much to my surprise, I did not smell anything. Nothing at all.

Dependent

damn good reviews zz!!

well written and thorough

thank you

thanks fredericktoo !
    -

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo
    damn good reviews zz!!

well written and thorough

thank you
    I've got to agree. Great reviews! Thanks!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

great descriptions...
    but a lot for such small amounts...
    i suppose their excuse is the extreme quality of ingredients...
    the names are all so tempting....though
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Unicorn Spell was definitely interesting. It smelled like a green bean for a while and then like violet leaves. I find the violet leaf note in Heeley's Fine Leather much more interesting and wearable. In fact, Fine Leather is fantastic. Unicorn Spell, on the other hand, was odd but not in a good way. To me, it seemed rushed and simple. That has been my problem with the three Lez Nez scents, they seem very simple and not well blended.

Let Me Play The Lion was earthy with lots of vetiver and maybe patchouli. It was also very light on my arm. I wanted lots of spice. I kept thinking...."where is the lion?"...I wanted something in this mess to roar! It seemed like several notes fighting for attention and wasn't well blended. It lasted about two hours on me and didn't project much. The Unicorn Spell projected more but then, who wants to smell like a green bean?

The anti-matter scent totally bombed. I could sort of smell something after a while but decided it was probably my imagination. They should have really done more research on this one. A simple focus group would have turned up the fact the scent was a hoax. The emperor's new clothes really weren't there at all. You can say it's a fragrance but the blind man won't be fooled...there is nothing in that tester but alcohol! This one should disappear from the market very soon if it hasn't been removed already.

Overall, I found them light and simple mixes of notes. Not much sillage and as for the anti-matter scent, it would be much cheaper to just spray your arm with rubbing alcohol.

I disagree. I sprayed 2 sprays of antimatter on my shirt before going to work, and I could still smell it 12h later when my shift ended. Try it on an undershirt. To me, it smells like a dryer sheet. It's a nice, clean scent but I don't think I need a bottle of it.

I got a strong musky ambergris from antimater. Quite a subtle scent, but definitely there.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

That's an excellent point. Maybe if I applied to my clothes I would smell it. Maybe my skin chemistry destroyed it...or maybe I did't put enough on? I will try it again because I love ambergris.