Code of Conduct

Default Desperately seeking jeans help

I used to have an old pair of Levis that I got as hand-me-downs from an older cousin. I have no idea what style they were (not that it matters since Levis discontinues just about everything except 501 and 550s). At any rate, I loved those jeans - zip fly (not my preference actually) but low rise, tight where it counts, and flare cut. I eventually ditched them after about 5 years of almost incessant wear. They were almost bare thread.

I am looking for a cut that is low (not gross low like Rufskins- holy junk showing Batman!) nicely tight fitting through the butt and thigh, and flare or bootcut, though I think I might prefer flares. Button fly a plus.

There are SO many brands out there today its just overwhelming trying to sift though the styles- especially when so many of them are baggy.

Any ideas?

edit- should also note my measurements of 32 w 32 inseam
    Last edited by Dayknight; 31st December 2006 at 08:30 PM.

Default Re: Desperately seeking jeans help

try gap....massive sale going on...
    and the new levis capital E jeans....
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

sounds to me like you had the Levi's 527 low-rise bootcut. It's been discontinued, but is still widely available, just do a google search.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    sounds to me like you had the Levi's 527 low-rise bootcut. It's been discontinued, but is still widely available, just do a google search.
    527 discontinued? really? I have been to the Levi's stores in several different locations and they still carried them. Plus I have seen them at various department stores.

But yes, as a low budget Levi's 527 deifintely fit the bill, can't go wrong with that price. Levi's Skinner also are in the same category, but pricier (easily two or three times your average mall priced Levi's). Also check Modern Boot and Tough Boot models of Levi's range, they come in various washes and colours, but are affordable and reasonable.

Lucky jeans also have low-rise bootcut/flare slim fits for men. Woodstuck and Tripper are discontinued (though can be still bought at outlets or on ebay) and I believe Hendrix are still in production. They are pricier than regular Levi's but you can find them pretty cheap at the Lucky outlets (anywhere between $10 and $50 bucks).

In the department stores check out Buffalo and Guess jeans - they have low rise slim bootcut/flare cuts that often immitate higher-end designer jeans.

Paper Denim recently slashed prices on their jeans, GTO can be had for under $100. It's not what it used to be, but still better than Levi's 527.

On the higher quality and higher price plane are some other models - Diesel Zaf, Zathan and Shazor (be careful with the notorious Diesel vanity sizing), AG Fillmore, Chip & Pepper Baby Bobby, some Earl Jean and Energie models.

Thanks for the suggestions gents.

I am actually wearing 527s right now- they seem to be widely available in my parts. But when the 527 fits in the waist, they still seem baggier in the butt and thighs than what I am really seeking. Now, I probably could trim some off on my waist and get a better waist/butt/leg ratio going. I know I need to get back in the gym (to bulk up my a$$ets ), but still think the cut I am looking for is still tighter thoughout than the 527 is.

the gap has some realyl beautiful jeans right now I have seen but not on a person, sitting on a couch, actually. meaning to go by myself but not distressed just the opposite like 'selvage'. don't know about the fit but I would suggest checking there as well cause they look really slick and modern at least one of the styles did to me lying on the couch!!! sort of like very clean helmut lang of a few years ago if it fits like helmut lang then you definitely have something great

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    the gap has some realyl beautiful jeans right now I have seen but not on a person, sitting on a couch, actually. meaning to go by myself but not distressed just the opposite like 'selvage'. don't know about the fit but I would suggest checking there as well cause they look really slick and modern at least one of the styles did to me lying on the couch!!! sort of like very clean helmut lang of a few years ago if it fits like helmut lang then you definitely have something great
    Gap jeans indeed look slick and appealing on display, in promotional campaigns and on the rack, but when you put them on... I have tried many different of their cuts and models throughout the years, but I am yet to find a good-fitting pair of Gap jeans or even trousers for that matter. If anti-fit is your thing then by all means do go along with Gap. Even a clearance price of $20 (selvedge included) is not an incentive enough for me to buy Gap jeans. Denim quality is rather blah as well.

Quote Originally Posted by maksidrom
    Gap jeans indeed look slick and appealing on display, in promotional campaigns and on the rack, but when you put them on... I have tried many different of their cuts and models throughout the years, but I am yet to find a good-fitting pair of Gap jeans or even trousers for that matter. If anti-fit is your thing then by all means do go along with Gap. Even a clearance price of $20 (selvedge included) is not an incentive enough for me to buy Gap jeans. Denim quality is rather blah as well.
    i got a basic straight fit for 20
    i got a pair of awesome selvedges for 20
    and i got a slim cut morrisson for 20....
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Denim is also another addiction of mine!

For something funky check out the Energie or Evisu lineup...

For something more rugged and tough looking look into G-Star or Diesel

To be just plain styly get some Seven For All Mankind or Paper Denim

To be pimper than everyone else in the neighbourhood break the bank and get some Y3 (Adidas)

All brands mentioned above will cost more than the regular Levis...
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe