Code of Conduct

Cool SotD Monday 1 January, New Year's Day!

Starting the year in my favourite Caron: Poivre

Wishing you all a wonderful year 2007!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default SotD Monday 1 January 2007, New Year's Day

Where is everybody?? Two hours of sleep is certainly more than enough?? Hmm, let's wake this drowsy community

:bounce: Happy new year to you all!! :bounce:

And today the scent of beauty, peace and comfort:
    Jicky, extrait de parfum. My perfume love for ever and the best scent for the start of a new year

Enjoy this day, well, enjoy this year!!
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Default Re: SotD Monday 1 January 2007, New Year's Day

Happy New Year, basenoters!! Today, I decided to test one of my samples that I've collected...Hypnose by Lancome....not sure if it's my kind of scent, but it'll do for today Hope 2007 is a great year for us all!!

edit: I'm wearing the EDP of Hypnose...I also have a small vial of the EDT, but I'll save that for another day!
    Last edited by gloomy_liv; 1st January 2007 at 06:39 AM.

Default Re: SotD Monday 1 January, New Year's Day!

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Decisions, decisions... what shall i wear today? I am lounging around with my PJ and trying to get rid of that NY's eve hangover.
    I am going to put on some NU EdP to think about my new year resolution.

Hope you all have safe and prosperous year in 2007.

Happy New Year!!!!

Lime, Basil and Mandarin by Jo Malone
    Wishlist is pointless.

Enjoying Insolence tonight after a post-celebration bubble bath and yet more champagne. Have a wonderful 2007, Basenoters!

Best wishes to all for this new year 2007!

For this first day of the new year i wear J del Pozo In Black.

I have found these notes somewhere on Internet, and I guess these are more right than the notes found at osMoz:
    Top: Black Cherry, Black Pepper, Grapefruit, Top Rose
    Heart: Black Lily, Jasmine, Violet
    Base: Licore Wood, Madagascan Vanilla, Morrocan Cedar, Indonesian Patchouli
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Happy New Year to all of you!!!

I wear Parfum Sacre to start a good 2007.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

Oy! How can four little people party so hard? DH2B is slumbering soundly in his bed, our dear best friends have finally managed to get a taxi, and I (the addict) am on Basenotes. We spent a night of hugs, dancing, cheap bubbly, eating rich food, some disagreement (the state of affairs in South Africa), more hugs, a bit too much wine (for the girls), a bit too much beer (for the boys), and knowing that we have some of the sweetest, smartest, coolest buddies we might wish for. And homemade cheesecake. We followed Brazilian tradition and wore white and bracelets with the colours of the year (yellow, blue and white), we mooned the moon, walked into the house with the right foot, hopped 12 times on the right foot and ate 12 grapes and some lentils.
    As for SotD, right now I am wearing cigarette smoke (I guess that's my resolution - but that's a weekly one for me), spilled wine, a big grin (smells happy, and like cheese, wine, cheesecake, pate, olives, etc.) and the remnants of my Lolita Lempicka. I am going to bed with a squirt of my most beloved, Iris Silver Mist, and haven't yet decided which foot to start the new year on. Surely it will be the right one. Bonne Annee!

Happy New year to all. I am starting out fresh and sparkling with Mandarine Tout Simplement

Grease, oil, dirt, sweat and

Mazzolari Patchouli

An outstanding frag and IMO the best patchouli fragrance in existence.
    Last edited by pluran; 1st January 2007 at 11:08 AM.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

After a fantastic house party spent with our dearest friends, I am just

waking up from too little sleep!! Reaching for Eau Dynamisante - and

boy do I need it. Happy New Year to you all.

A patchy almost-70 F here at the beach - threw open the slider in the MB (not a good idea) and liberally sprayed on Hermes Hiris and could smell NOTHING!! Dawned on me that I have a CODE....but with the same code yesterday could smell Ayala's double strength Yasmin just fine. Disgruntled, overlaid with MGP Tubereuse. Am going to have to poke around further in the garden before going off to a new masseuse.

LOVE all your new Avatars! :bounce: Coco - and Vandair! And Pellen - the description of your New Year's celebration made me want to be there with you - and I don't drink!!! You are such fun!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

My Fendi phase splashes into 2007 with Theorema today.

Talking Re: SotD Monday 1 January, New Year's Day!

Starting the Year with Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger - a very happy, uplifting and energizing fragrance.
    Hugs to all!
    All the best in the coming New Year.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pellen
    ... cheese, wine, cheesecake, pate, olives...
    Yum

"It's June in January" as the old song goes. Outrageously warm and sunny, puddles where there should be snowbanks.
    I'm wearing a spring-like layering combo of Orange Blossom with Wet Garden.
    And DH correctly identified the Wet Garden on first sniff (good for him!).

Planning a Perfume movie girls night out with the gals I partied with Saturday night. Woo-hoo! Wish you all could attend.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

MPG's Secret Datura, how I wish I had a large bottle of this not the mini bottle

Just arrived home from the party. Pellen says too much wine and too much beer. Ha! At our party it was too much of a drink with a picture of Johnny Depp aka Captain Morgan rum. I can smell it in Mr.Twolf's breath even now, about 10 hours later. Yuckissimo!

On the positive note, our dessert last night was an absolutely delicious banana pudding and each guest got to eat 12 seeds (and pulp!) of pomegranate -- an ancient Armenian tradition for prosperity and good luck in the new year, and nobody even knows anyone from that country! Anyway, I am continuing the day on that note with a total marvel of a scent: Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir.

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Chanel #5 today.

I don't really like the fragrance, but the number 5 is my favorite number, so I'm wearing it for good luck. Hopefully, it will start the year out right ...

happy new year to all my Basenotes friends!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Vetiver de Guerlain for the night.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

Happy 2007 one and all! Spent last night party-hopping (one "New Year's at 9" party for the younger kids, then a small gathering with a few other families with excellent food, drink and a game of "In the Manner of the Adverb" for the adults... DH asked me to kiss him 'in the manner of the adverb,' and the adverb was "devoutly." Oy! He didn't guess the adverb, but did ask me to repeat. Other guests advised us to get a room )

Today it's our annual New Year's Day open house... 8 hours of hanging out with cheap champagne, good coffee, brunch food all day and many, many, MANY friends, one of whom is bringing me some Caron Bellodgia to try.

Started the morning with a tiny sniff of Bond No. 9 New Haarlem to kick start my day and the year; but the "real" SoTD for me will be Caron Pour Une Femme... My favorite (right now) Caron for cool weather.

Enjoy, everyone!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!! Hope everyone is feeling good this morning!

I decided this morning that I wanted to delve into the world of orientals and thought I would begin with the legendary Tabu since I just happened to be at Walmart anyway! Dragging the 5yo and the 2yo to the department stores is never much fun! Anyhoo, my very first impression was that it smelled just like my Mamaw, who's worn Youth Dew for as long as I can remember. So I have to make a mental note to not associate it with an 'old lady' smell, but rather a 'classic' one. I am shocked at how strong this drug store beauty is. One squirt on the back of my hand and I am surrounded in a cloud of oriental greatness! However, I think I am just too young to pull this one off just yet. I feel as though I am impersonating someone or something and it's just not me. Not yet anyway. So, once it wears off, I'll settle into something more familiar for the rest of this New Year's Day...probably my old faithful Ysatis.

Have a great day y'all!
    ~*Christy*~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChristyR
    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!! Hope everyone is feeling good this morning!

I decided this morning that I wanted to delve into the world of orientals and thought I would begin with the legendary Tabu since I just happened to be at Walmart anyway! Dragging the 5yo and the 2yo to the department stores is never much fun! Anyhoo, my very first impression was that it smelled just like my Mamaw, who's worn Youth Dew for as long as I can remember. So I have to make a mental note to not associate it with an 'old lady' smell, but rather a 'classic' one. I am shocked at how strong this drug store beauty is. One squirt on the back of my hand and I am surrounded in a cloud of oriental greatness! However, I think I am just too young to pull this one off just yet. I feel as though I am impersonating someone or something and it's just not me. Not yet anyway. So, once it wears off, I'll settle into something more familiar for the rest of this New Year's Day...probably my old faithful Ysatis.

Have a great day y'all!
    So great to see you try this beauty with an open mind, ChristyR!

Dana Tabu is the 'mother' of Estee Lauder Youth Dew so you are spot on about te similarity between the two. I find that they are both too much if they are spritzed straight from the bottle. It is best to decant & dab if you can - you will get a quite different take on both of these powerhouse perfumes then. Youth Dew dabbed is actually quite a starched, 'clean linen' scent, and Tabu is much softer, smoother and cosier, with a distinct orange blossom heart when dabbed. Definitely worth a try...

You may find it easier to wear if you spritz a little Orange blossom over the top of the Tabu (or a wee dab of TBS Satsuma). The bushel load of patchouli in Tabu can make it very hard to wear in daylight, the orange blossom / citrus helps to lighten and soften the intensity making it a much less strident, cosy winter perfume.

Have a great day!
    Last edited by moondeva; 1st January 2007 at 05:59 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

HAPPY NEW 2007 YEAR, MY DEAR FRIENDS!

Last night was a lot of fun; most wonderful company, excellent food and very delicious wine!

Today we finally made our way home with me wearing First Love by Van Cleef & Arpels and my dearest wearing Hanae Mori and big smiles on our faces.

Notes for First Love by Van Cleef & Arpels:

Top notes: Mandarin Orange, Maniguette, Pepper Seed, Peony
    Middle notes: Osmanthus, Ylang-Ylang, Orchid
    Base notes: Amber, Vanilla, Patchouli

Notes for Hanae Mori:

Top notes: Bergamot, Tarragon, Coriander, Fruity Note
    Middle notes: Geranium, Rose, Lily of the valley, Fern
    Base notes: Cedar, Sandal, Vanilla, Tonka
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Thanks for those suggestions, Moondeva! I'll definitely try them! I actually quite liked the Tabu, it just seemed a little much for me. A very mature and womanly fragrance that I'm not sure I'm completely worthy of yet! I'll report back my findings when I try your suggestions!!
    ~*Christy*~

Smile Re: SotD Monday 1 January, New Year's Day!

Happy New Year!

I'm wearing the beautiful Orris Noir by Ormonde Jayne today.

BPAL's Baobhan Sith - notes of grapefruit, white tea, apple blossom and ginger.

This one is pretty nice! Smells like lemon and berries in the bottle, on my skin the white tea and apple blossom really "floral" it up a bit, while still maintaining a beautifully bright tartness. No harsh, bitter note in the grapefruit, though. It's clean and bright and sweet without being too sweet. Longevity is not the best, it went away about 4 hours after application and i"m finishing out the day in Mitsouko, but it was lovely while it lasted.
    ~Melanie Teegarden, Owner
    Althaea Soaps & Herbals
    504 W. Oakland Avenue
    Johnson City, TN 37604
    www.althaea.biz/

Well, I finally dragged myself out of bed (yes, at 3 pm!) and I probably would have stayed longer but I had to send DH2B off to work. Poor fella' is paying for his sins today, let me tell you.
    So, what scent do I choose...
    I want some carnation for spice, some iris for it's sheer beauty, and some vanilla for comfort. Looks like L'Heure Bleue!

ChristyR and MoonDeva - I like Tabu quite a bit, too, but I find that the perfume is a little too strong and dry on my skin. I like to just spray it on a pillow and luxuriate in the warmth of it. I also like to layer the body lotion (which is much softer, obviously) with L'Heure Bleue, which is just amazing with the addition of a bit of civet. It's far less sweet and powdery; the anise note is more pronounced and the whole composition acquires more mystery and depth.

This afternoon, I dragged myself out of bed and put on Je Reviens, which is warm, creamy, and intensely comforting.

Happy New Year to all!
    Last edited by djuna; 1st January 2007 at 07:59 PM.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

For the eve: Le Baiser du Dragon. Spizy, yet comforting.

I will never grow into Youth Dew, I guess, or perhaps it just doas not fit my skin. It´s way too heavy for me. The other one I have never tried, I´m afraid, but I will if I ever get the chanse.
    Last edited by Margareta; 8th January 2007 at 05:01 PM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Starting the New Year with indecision. Now I'm wearing Plus Que Jamais. Lovely! Why isn't there anything in the directory about this?

Notes from Osmoz:
    Top: Bergamote Calabre, Neroli Tunisie, Ylang Comores
    Heart: Fleur de Jasmine, Iris
    Base: Notes Boisees, Vanille Bourbon

Well after the Tabu wore off to the point that I could put something else on (I can still faintly smell it where I sprayed this morning!), I opted for SJP's Lovely, which promptly got not one, but two big thumbs down from my dh and Mom. Mom said it was 'pungent' and dh said it had a wierd 'wang'.

I actually really like it...bummer for them!
    ~*Christy*~

Happy New Year....My 1st of 2007 is....Comme des Garcons 2 EdP...
    Gary

Wearing Metallica by Guerlain from a decant from a wonderful ebay seller, Dragonfly00.

Happy New Year, all!

Changed into Sonia Rykiel Pullover (bright orange) for the night. To me it is what New Year's Day should be about: decadence of citrus and other delicatessen, woody-earthy tones and celebration of the unknown!

Happy New Year! I've worn Chinatown all day and loved it. I didn't actually stay up for New Year's, but did get up at midnight as my neighborhood is fireworks crazy. Pretty! I had some fireworks myself, but I was tooooo sleepy.

My neice had her baby!!!! FINALLY!!! Robert Alexander Martin !!! My parents first great-grandbaby! I'm a great aunt. Happy New Year!!!!