Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: REMINDER ::: Sniff-n-Speak Saturday, Jan. 6>>>ORIENTALS

Report on yesterday's Big-Time-Oriental-Binge

Funny how often I overdo the things I like/love. Child in candystore

One Oriental? Yummy!...Two Orientals? Great!! Three Orientals? Ah, now we're talking. Four Orientals? *singing happily: you can never have too much*
    Idiots going for five Orientals anywhere?....Nah, nobody is that stupid

Sniff, sniff, isn't that Riannon on her fifth Oriental??

DH is seeking refuge in his office, leaving the Oriental Princess alone, urging her to take a Tsssss!!

These were the beauties I chose:

Chopard's Mira Bai
    Fendi's Theorema
    Must de Cartier
    Boucheron extrait
    MPG's Soir d' Orient (rather unknown and discontinued scent: notes include amber, leather and sandalwood)

I did not even wait for the night to apply Soir d'Orient!!

Moondeva: this was Close Layering of the Third Kind!! (whatever).

It is possible that this was a bit too enthousiastic approach.
    Just maybe.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Sorry, didn´t realize it was here I should Speak in the Sniff´n Speak. But I do it now instead, better late then never. I will also speak a little more, as others also do so in this thread.

My Oriental Sniff´n Speak is Shalimar by Guerlain, the most romantic of my orientals, IMO. I find it fragile and gentle, yet lasting all day on my skin. - I haven´t tried it until some weeks ago, and have fallen for it completly and at once. I also got the bodylotion the very Sniff´n Speak Day, and it is just as wonderful as I hoped. Most of you BN:s know this frag very well, as it is a famous classic, but for those of you who don´t, I write the notes (from osMoz):

Top: Bergamot, Mandarin; Cedar, Lemon
    Heart: Patchouli, Jasmine, Rose, Orris
    Base: Vanilla, Benzoin, Peru Balsam, Leather

I recognize this frag so much! I bet my grandmother was wearing this one! My mum never wear frags, she is totally unintrested, and have always been, but my grandma used perfumes, I remember from my childhood. I don´t remember the names of her perfumes, as I didn´t paied any attention. But I do remember the smell of the perfumes and the bottles. I was very fond of my grandma, and I belive she is the primary cause of my own intrest in fraganses.
    Last edited by Margareta; 7th January 2007 at 09:43 AM.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Since I wear orientals pretty frequently, I decided to try a new one (to me) for SOTD -- Caron En Avion extrait, the 1932 classic by Earnest Daltroff. The Caron web site describes this as a floral oriental with notes of "orange tree, rose, jasmine, carnation… Totally new balance of rich flowers on a dry, spicy, wooded base" with this personality: "Assertive temperament. Self-assurance and calculated eccentricity. Unique vapor trail."

On me En Avion opens with spicy top notes over a somewhat camphorous foundation -- very old school. From there, it's Caron heritage becomes apparent, as the Daltroff vanilla begins to blossom. The Play-Doh note common to Carons came out as the middle notes came forward, and then receded into the the warm vanillic drydown, lightly spiced.

This was my first time wearing a Caron extrait, and I was disappointed that it did not have more strength and projection -- it seemed to have no sillage at all. This is a fragrance I will have to revisit, as all of the basic elements of the classic appeal to me, but somehow the whole package was a bit underwhelming. May be my nose was having an off day, maybe it's just as well that I not fall hard for a second Caron urn frag
    Last edited by coumarin; 7th January 2007 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf
    It is incensy and a bit dirty, while its coolness is still present, it is vanillic, but not at all like Shalimar, or Organza, or Pi, it is a cool vanilla they were using in it! The one that, probably, the wind from the majestic Himalaya brings to the Ganges enchanted forests! I am enjoying and wanting more of Jean Louis Scherrer Nuits Indiennes (1994) today. Do you?
    Do I ever!(Wolfie, you sure you know how to get a girl going! And a great back story!)

BUT - not knowing all of this yesterday morning, and FORGETTING it was Oriental SnS - I innocently dabbed on Rumba from Balenciaga.

"Rumba opens on a rich and tenacious fruity note of mirabelle, peach and plum. The heart unveils orchid, magnolia, gardenia, jasmine, tuberose, Indian carnation and patchouli. The fragrance ends on an equally rich accord of amber, leather, vanilla and oakmoss." (Thank you, OzMoz)

Can't remember why I ordered this decant from Moondeva but I did and WOW do I love it! Yesterday the opening note for me was - SMO-O-O-O-KIN'. (For some reason - my nose often goes right for the basenote) and morphed then into all those fruits and flowers I so love. (My middle name is Melita - a shortened form of Amelita, "little Amelia" - there's latin in me somewhere - I really respond to all that lush Moorish darkness.)

"Straight from the streets with all the liveliness of its hot Latin heart, Rumba unveils joyous, sensuous and dancing notes. It moves to the rhythm of quiet glissandos, swaying hips and lingering gazes. The fragrance combines Latin energy and the sophisticated taste of a Parisian couturier."

Anyway this beauty lasts and lasts and gets more potent as the hours go by.

So the end of this love story is - FULL BOTTLE!!! (it's SO reasonable) - second of the year and January's not even over. (Rhumba's off into sunset....hips swaying, gaze lingering....) :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I missed computer time completely yesterday but shared my day with three fragrances:

1.Le Parfum de Therese - Malle - bright and spicy, strong and ladylike

2. Creed's Eugenie, which I have waxed poetic about already, but let me add that I wore this to a four hour meeting with my contractor, knowing I would have to make some executive decisions about a project we are starting, and knew that this fragrance is "regal" enough to be authoritative, but pretty enough to be non intimidating. The feeling of power from this fragrance is not "bitch power" but "queenly power." Think Benevolent Monarchess or Merciful and Compassionate Goddess that has the power to give and take away but decides to give.
    ADDED this evening: It looks like Eugenie is considered oriental!!!
    Top Notes: Oriental notes w/mixture of Italian jasmin, sandalwood and vanilla

3. Carnal Flower 'Malle

Are these orientals? Hell, I don't know.
    Am I oriental? Hell, I don't know, my Dad's from Shanghai , my Mom from Kansas. Sometimes I feel "oriental" and sometimes I don't.
    All I know is they FELT oriental to me.
    Since Carnal FLower is still lingering from last night,
    let me post some of the notes here :

bergamot, melon, camphor, jasmin, orange blossom, ylang ylang, coconut milk

The coconut and ylang ylang seem to be lingering this morning.
    This is a unique and stunning fragrance, with robust sillage - I went to blockbuster last night reeking of this and felt like a total femme fetale in my jeans and black t shirt, I just KNEW that every man in my wake, (and perhaps woman, too, hee hee hee) was rendered weak kneed by my aroma.Of course they were too polite to say anything.
    This fragrance has a strongly textural quality to me...like rough velvet with a burned out embellishment in it, like the smoothness comes to you in rough patches, does that make sense?
    Very sexy, very earthy, pretty serious stuff.

I resolve to try the MPG Soir d'Oriental sample that patty sent me sometime today and post it here to redeem myself just in case these scents are not true orientals.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 8th January 2007 at 12:18 AM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Like Coumarin, I wear Orientals most of the time, but unlike her who tried a 30es classic - but new to her - I decided to go for a new on the market and new to me. First time, I did only briefly try it during a sniffathon amongst a few others and it left me perplexed. So I retried it, alone this time. And now I'm among those who sing its praises...Tom Ford Black Orchid.
    Notes are Black truffle, ylang ylang, bergamot, black currant, black orchid, rich fruit accord, floral accord, lotus wood, patchouli, incense, vetiver, vanilla tears, balsam, sandalwood.
    The head and heart notes of this fragrance are unbelievably glamorous. The floral notes are dark, soft and buttery and the fruit is ripe bordering on overripe, so much so that one has the impression that five minutes more and it would be decay...but this note is strangely appealing (mochi, you were right!) . I'm still looking for that black truffle note - truffles have a strong ammonia smell, for me almost unbearably so - but I cannot identify it as a single note, maybe it adds to the above strange, intoxicating note. The drydown is nothing like Allure Sensuelle on my skin (and nothing like Addict, as seemed to me when first testing); it's a very refined take on patchouli/amber that lasts forever. On my skin, no vanilla and lots of incence-y patch ...
    I'm wearing it again today and its effect is the proverbial "can't stop sniffing myself".
    Must have a full bottle of it!!! :bounce:
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 7th January 2007 at 04:22 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Now I've at last found the correct place to post (so many people here were
    saying what they were going to smell, in the future, I thought this was the wrong place!) I'll speak about the oriental I wore yesterday - ROMA.

I love the fresh, clean minty/citrussy opening of this ambery oriental by Roman Designer Laura Biagiotti.

Mint is not a note I expected to enjoy, but mingled with blackcurrant
    leaves and pink grapefruit it is amazing! To my mind this first stage is the best part of the EDT (there is no EDP apparently) and the bit I revel in the most.

The floral middle section - lily of the valley, jasmine and rose are not as
    pronounced to my nose as the balsamy, vanilla,patchouli, sandalwood base which
    is soft and sophisticated.

One of my favourite orientals of all.

z
    Last edited by kewart; 7th January 2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: a few noes were wrongly mentioned.
    Currently wearing: Cristobal by Balenciaga

Since Orientals are among my very favorites, I decided to try a couple of new (to me) ones for this month's Sniff & Speak. At the Neiman frag counter on my way home Friday, I was having myself a good time sniffing and chatting with everyone, and ended up getting "bumped up" from one of the clearly newer SAs who'd originally started with me to the senior SA on the counter.

Senior SA asked me what my single favorite scent was. I told her I had five or six, she said, "Pick one." So I did (JL Sherrer 2). She sprayed me a couple of selections, but I ended up going home with a sample of Hermes Rouge for the Sniff & Speak.

I found it very sweet and lightly spicy with a soft powdery amber note. Classy, lovely and feminine. I found started out quite strong, then softed within a few minutes. The amber and a touch of the spiciness came forward more on the dry down, but it didn't "develop," with different notes taking center stage at different times, the way some scents seem to. Still, I found the blend to be masterful and really enjoyed it start to finish.

On first try, I like Rouge a lot, but don't love it, probably because I have several other frags that are similar on me that I already adore. Rouge has more amber notes than some of my others, and I like that a lot! Will definitely need to try a few more times and keep an eye on it. I could grow to love this one.

It also lasted quite a long time on me (over 12 hours before all traces were gone from my skin, even with a little wrist-washing later in the day ). Plan to try the Hermes Rouges/Caron Bellodgia layering combo Moondeva has recommended, too!
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

heart of ice

Another oriental girl here, I think most of my collection are orientals. So, when picking something for the sniff&speak day yesterday, I had a tough time deciding. I finally settled on Shalimar Eau Légère because it had a taste of everything old and new about orientals.

I'm a fan of Shalimar, even though I came to it late. And like so many others, I was really afraid of what Guerlain would do to Shalimar by making a "light" version. But I think Guerlain did Shalimar proud by keeping the heart and soul of Shalimar, but making it somehow lighter and brighter, a little more luminous and shimmery . I don't think you have to choose one or the other, I think one can like both versions. It keeps the tradition and heritage of the original but adds a modern twist with an eye to the future.

notes (from osmoz) include:
    Top note: Lemon, bergamot
    Middle note: Jasmine, iris, orange
    Base note: Vanilla, amber
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Like many of you, I wear orientals quite a lot (maybe too much) and skipped this Speak-and-Sniff on Saturday because I honestly was not in the mood for any of my favorites (blame it on the heat - it was a perfect day for Carnal Flower).

Today, however, I'm wearing Tabu, an oriental which actually is a daring choice for me, for two reasons: first, because its reputation makes me self-conscious and second, because it's much darker and spicier than anything else I own. It's a chance for me to own up to any label snobbery I may have, and to wear something that doesn't smell at all "me" (no pronounced floral notes, no gourmand elements, no powder).

I'm not getting any soap this time around (a note which has bothered me in the past), but I am getting a really lovely whiff of Nag Champa incense. There's also a lot of heavy patchouli, which I actually like quite a lot, some cinnamon, and a fruity or citrus note that I can't quite name, but which gives the composition some roundness and color. I can't wait to layer this with some other frags; I want to see if I can bring out more of that hidden lusciousness.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Default Re: REMINDER ::: Sniff-n-Speak

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or otherwise, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment. It's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within the themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    January ~ Oriental
    February ~ Animalic (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)
    March ~ Chypre
    April ~ Floral
    May ~ Fruity
    June ~ Citrus
    July ~ Green (2007: emphasis on vetiver)
    August ~ Fresh or aquatic
    September ~ Fougere or men's fragrances
    October ~ Ambery
    November ~ Spicy
    December ~ Gourmand
    I'm just quoting this to bump it back up the list of threads for those who have been wondering where it went. I'm sure we're still on for animalic next weekend -- right? I got Musc Ravageur for the occasion!

And I am at your side with Musc Ravageur as well, maybe followed by some Cuir Mauresque
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Blog Entries

Default Re: REMINDER ::: Sniff-n-Speak

Quote Originally Posted by coumarin
    I'm just quoting this to bump it back up the list of threads for those who have been wondering where it went. I'm sure we're still on for animalic next weekend -- right? I got Musc Ravageur for the occasion!
    No need to bump a thread for the last S'n'S, the "mother thread" is here:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...183718&page=13

I'm sure Quarry will start a new thread for 3rd February, and I will make it sticky.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon
    And I am at your side with Musc Ravageur as well, maybe followed by some Cuir Mauresque
    I have to say this is one case where the power of suggestion far outweighs the actual character of a scent. Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur is all about the vanilla oriental to me and very little about an animalic musk.

Time & time again I read people recommending it as a real animalic musk and though I agree that there is musk in the blend, it is more as a binding background base note (fixative) for the amber and vanilla then a major factor in the overall theme - fancy name or not. On my skin it is all chocolatey amber and vanilla laced with cinnamon and tangerine - a naughty sensual oriental with no florals similar to Lolita Lempicka L, Givenchy Organza Indecence, and Yves Rocher Neonatura Cocoon.

I am not surprised that so many that 'love' musk, because of Musk Ravageur, are so shell shocked when confronted by a true animalic musk like Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan, Ava Luxe Rasa (old formulation), or Nemat Supreme Musk.

Even the pussycats Coty Wild Musk, Lentheric Just Musk, Revlon Intimate Musk and Jovan Musk Oil have more animalic musk going on then Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur.

hummph!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Smile Re: REMINDER ::: Sniff-n-Speak Saturday, Jan. 6>>>ORIENTALS

I guess Jan. is the best month of 2007 for me, as the Orientals are my absolute favorite frags. I've tried many perfumes over the years, and really enjoyed some of them, but have always come back to these wonderfully seductive and enticing scents. Although I still love and wear Opium and Shalimar I've happily found others like Etro Shaal Nur, Bellodogia and Arabie.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spicegirl
    I guess Jan. is the best month of 2007 for me, as the Orientals are my absolute favorite frags. I've tried many perfumes over the years, and really enjoyed some of them, but have always come back to these wonderfully seductive and enticing scents. Although I still love and wear Opium and Shalimar I've happily found others like Etro Shaal Nur, Bellodogia and Arabie.
    Welcome to Basenotes, spicegirl! :wave:

Here's hoping that you are here to enjoy many more oriental January's with us here in the years to come!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Spicegirl, my favorites are orientals also. Today I accidently broke a large bottle of Hypnotic Poison. I managed to fill four other bottles, but got it all over me so I will say: Hypnotic Poison
    Notes:Bitter Almond, Caraway
    Jasmine
    Vanilla, Moss, Jacaranda Wood, Musk

Yummy, especially if you add a little musk essential oil.

Thankyou so much for the welcome and although I am a complete novice when it comes to the wonderful world of fragrance, I hope to learn a great deal from all of you "veterns". I don't know a whole lot about frags, but I know what I like, and Orientals are it.
    I do know how to use the search, so will try not to ask too many stupid questions! Please bear with me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TDDanae
    Spicegirl, my favorites are orientals also. Today I accidently broke a large bottle of Hypnotic Poison. I managed to fill four other bottles, but got it all over me so I will say: Hypnotic Poison
    Notes:Bitter Almond, Caraway
    Jasmine
    Vanilla, Moss, Jacaranda Wood, Musk

Yummy, especially if you add a little musk essential oil.
    Hi TDDanae - I finally received my sample of Hypnotic Poison, and although I thought when I had a sniff of the opening notes that it was going to be overpowering, I quickly changed my mind during the dry down. Another wonderful Oriental, and I agree... yummy!