Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default REMINDER ::: Sniff-n-Speak Saturday, Jan. 6>>>ORIENTALS

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or otherwise, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment. It's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within the themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    January ~ Oriental
    February ~ Animalic (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)
    March ~ Chypre
    April ~ Floral
    May ~ Fruity
    June ~ Citrus
    July ~ Green (2007: emphasis on vetiver)
    August ~ Fresh or aquatic
    September ~ Fougere or men's fragrances
    October ~ Ambery
    November ~ Spicy
    December ~ Gourmand
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

Default Re: REMINDER ::: Sniff-n-Speak Saturday, Jan. 6>>>ORIENTALS

I am very excited about the forthcoming Sniff n Speak Saturday (6th January 2007) as Orientals are one of my favourite family of scents (along with Chypre and Animalic). The problem is that I have so many to choose from!!

I have seen questions / requests for examples of orientals, so I thought it would help to list my orientals to help inspire those wondering what to wear...

Here goes:

Boucheron Classique - orange blossom dominated oriental. Elegant, similar to Hermes 24 Faubourg.
    Cacharel LouLou - Intense sweet, dusky floriental dominated by tiare flower, cassis, incense, cardamom and musk. Seductive yet strangely innocent. A true classic - now sadly discontinued.
    Must de Cartier - EDT and parfum. Rich, resinous amber. Recalls Calvin Klein Obsession.
    Calvin Klein Obsession - parfum. A simpler, linear interpretation of the Must de Cartier amber theme.
    Caron Nuit de Noel - vintage. I cannot adequately describe this perfume so I will not try. It is an amazing complex classic rich, luxe, smooth but ultimately elusive like the spirit of the season it is named for. It is festive without being cliched feminine without being floral and perfect for any and all situations without ever being stuffy. The ultimate drydown is smooth and softly powdery.
    Donna Karan Black Cashmere - Cool, cerebral vanilla oriental. Pepper and spice intertwine with cool smooth, creamy white woods and a touch of incense. Scent sister to YSL Nu EDP, Fendi Theorema and Givenchy Organza Indecence.
    Dana Chantilly - Ambery oriental. I love this perfume. A smooth, classic, powdery carnation and leather dominated oriental complicated by a distinct geranium accord which adds a unique coolness. A scent sister to Dior Dioressence.
    Dior Dioressence - I call this my summer oriental because although it is a straight oriental with spice and a wonderful ambery dry down, the distinctive geranium heart note cools and freshens the blend making it perfect for warmer weather.
    Comme des Garcons EDP / parfum - I only have the cologne at the moment but really want the EDP or parfum in this iconoclastic perfume. Rich, resinous, luxe yet at the same time arid, ayurverdic, smoky and spicy. Cardamom, pepper, carnation, hay, llabdanum, and incense (olibanum) dominate in this amazing scentsual experience.
    Chanel Coco - EDP. This is too high pitched and bronzy for my tastes (I prefer deeper, mezzo-soprano / bass orientals). Very polished / classy.
    Reichenbach Golden Drop - a smoother, sweeter interpretation of the Chanel Coco bronze / amber theme
    Basile by Basile - EDT. Another scent twin to Chanel Coco.
    Christian Dior Poison - EDT and Esprit de parfum. EDT is fruity with a sexy musk and spice drydown. Esprit de Parfum is much drier, darker and smokier with very little fruit or sweetness - almost a different scent.
    Estee Lauder Youth Dew - EDP, parfum and Bath oil. The parfum is rich, dark, raw with a harsh aldehydic kick in the opening. The bath oil is the easiest form to wear Yout Dew in. It is much softer, almost vanillic. A few drops in a bath reveals the hidden clean, 'starched linens' aspects of this classic oriental and is enough to scent you delicately for the whole day.
    Fendi Donna - A deep rich, luxe spicy leather chypre oriental. A perfume for a powerful, sophisticated, professional, confident female. Wilder, sophisticated, earthy sister to Chanel Coco and cousin to Paloma Picasso Mon Parfum.
    Givenchy Ysatis - more floral chypre then classic oriental.
    Guerlain Shalimar - all strengths. I love this! My herbaceous oriental - zesty citrus opening with iris, heliotrope, incense, opoponax and tonka bean dominated heart and base notes. Sexy, seductive, feminine.
    Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose - soft, powdery honey and rose dominated floriental.
    Lancome Tresor - Thick, sweet, fruity floriental dominated by a distinct rose / apricot / peach accord that dries down to a powdery skin but better musk scent. Tres feminine.
    Laura Biagiotti Roma - a wonderful
    Lolita Lempicka - feminine, floriental dominated by violets, anise and a burnt sugar accord.
    Lolita Lempicka L - A festive smelling orange and cloves / cinnamon opening which morphs into a deep ambery vanilla musk base. Recalls Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur, Guerlain Attrape-Coeur and Serge Lutens Douce Amere.
    Moschino Classique - love child of Must de Cartier and Guerlain Shalimar. Bright citrus rosewood opening and then creamy ambery rose tinged musk drydown which lasts and lasts.
    Oscar de la Renta Volupte - parfum. Fruity (melon) floral oriental
    Rochas Tocade - rose and vanilla dominated floriental with a soft ambery base. Rather simple and linear.
    Shiseido Feminite du Bois - unique green fruity oriental take on the cedar. Cardamom and cinnamon also feature.
    Valentino Very Valentino - sheer violet toned floriental. Great day / office wear. Pretty and feminine.
    YSL Opium - heady floriental spicy / classic.
    Caron Narcisse Noir - on me this is a subtle, smooth 'clean' neroli / orange blossom dominated skin scent, with a touch of spice.
    Trussardi Python - sheer gourmand floriental. Cardamom, plum, rose and a touch of chocolate in the ambery base.
    Chopard Casmir - Fruity vanilla oriental. Tonka Bean dominates the base.
    Dolce et Gabbana Woman (red cap) - a true floral oriental - more floral than oriental. Classic, similar to Chanel No.5, with sexy powdery dry down.
    Sonia Rykiel Classique (red shirt) - Fruity floriental similar in mood an scent to Chopard Casmir.
    Fendi Theorema - a wonderful smooth spicy, dry oriental. Surprisingly dry on me. Others have sung praises for it's yummy 'chocolate orange' scent - which sadly I do not get.
    Ghost Deep Night - meh! Floriental. Sweeter, deeper and muskier then the original scent with a powdery dry down.
    Issey Miyake Le Feu D'Issey - a very unique oriental dominated by pepper and milky notes. Recalls Caron L'Anarchiste.
    Dana Tabu - the original and the best! Amber, patchouli and spice with an orange blossom dominated heart.
    Vivienne Westwood Boudoir - On me this is the female version of YSL Kouros. Controversial, much berrated but completely unforgettable. I have to decant this and apply as sparingly as a parfum (a few drops at a time). A single application lasts for days!
    Caron Poivre - pure potent pepper! Original and distinct with a warm clove / carnation heart.
    Bulgari Black - Distinctive black tea dominated scent with a smooth ambery woody base. Renowned for its original smoky resinous rubber accord.
    Christian Dior Dune - honey amber oriental with a distinct broom / lichen / sea breeze accord.
    Guerlain Samsara - EDT and parfum. A very rich, sultry jasmine / ylang-ylang / iris / sandalwood.
    Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles - EDT & parfum. Gorgeous, smooth ambery vanilla oriental - dominated by sandalwood. Elegant and feminine. A Cousin to Dana Tabu & Chanel Bois de Iles.
    Guerlain Vol de Nuit - EDT. I so wish I could get my hands on a decant of the parfum. As it is the EDT is sublime. Smooth creamy balsams and wood with a enthralling leathery drydown. Truly beautiful from beginning to end.
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur - Very rich ambery oriental with a smooth lavender opening. On me this is pure gourmand, smoky, smooth creamy milk chocolate! Can get cloying if worn too heavily or in anything other then freezing winter weather.
    Guerlain Attrape-Coeur - smooth, yummy, ambery vanilla oriental from this classic house. Surprisingly modern.
    Serge Lutens Douce Amere - Recalls Guerlain Attrape-Coeur and Lolita Lempicka L. SL Douce Amere is distinctly less sweet and cooler with a stronger anise top & heart note.
    Lancome Magie Noire - vintage. Feminine, spicy rose and pepper dominated oriental with a smoky dry woody drydown.
    Piguet Habanita - EDT. Classic Honey leather and powder dominated oriental. The oakmoss heart and ambergris dominated base notes give this perfume it's distinct character.
    Five Star Fragrance Company Royal Secret Concentree - vintage. Smooth balsamic opening with a cosy opoponax dominated dry down. Recalls Guerlain Shalimar, Jean Patou Sublime and Coty Emeraude.
    Five Star Fragrance Company Royal Secret II - a boozy, fruity spiced amber oriental with woody base. So beautiful, complex and rich this could easily pass for a Serge Lutens release.
    Lagerfeld Sun Moon Stars - a very comforting, fresh, feminine floriental. Orange blossom dominates a softly powdery ambery oriental base.
    Estee Lauder Cinnabar - A homage to cinnamon. Cinnamon and patcholi dominate. Recalls Estee Lauder Youth Dew, which inspired it, but with most of the interesting stuff removed.
    Caron Parfum Sacre - Rose / myrrh dominated incensey floriental. A modern classic.
    Givenchy Organza Indecence - a completely different, much more impressive follow on from the original. Boozy smooth creamy woods with no florals. Gorgeous, sexy and long lasting.
    Aramis Havana pour Elle - original floriental with a distinct spicy tobacco accord. Sexy and unique.
    Givenchy Organza - A soft feminine ambery floriental featuring jasmine and nutmeg.
    Avon Extraordinary - A delicate fruity floriental. Very feminine and wearable.
    Boucheron Trouble - EDP. A wonderful, rich almondy amber oriental. Feminine and subtly seductive. Cosy.
    Calvin Klein Obsession Night - nothing like the original at all apart from a burst of orange in the opening and an insipid ambery vanilla. This is a modern floriental where the florals and plastic woods reign. I may like this better in warmer weather.
    Caron Aimez-Moi - beautiful warm yet delicate floral (violet) oriental with a touch of cooling anise.
    Dior Addict - Heady, sultry floral spicy oriental with a thick white floral heart and woody vanille bourbon base. Very long lasting with unforgettable sillage.
    Diesel Plus Plus Feminine - fruity floral oriental with a sweet 'milky' amber base. Opens with fresh softly citrus notes and dries down into a honeyed, ambery sweet milk dry down. Very cosy.
    The Body Shop Cosy Cashmere - Very similar theme to Diesel Plus Plus Feminine - opens bright and softly citrussy before drying down to a soft ambery vanilla base. Very wearable and surprisingly long lasting.
    The Body Shop Woody Sandalwood - At first sniff this has little to do with Sandalwood and could easily be mistaken for a Serge Lutens. It is boozy, fruity with a distinct plum, cloves and cinnamon character. Patchouli also features. Dries down to a yummy smooth sandalwood dominated base with the plum and spice still present in a supporting role. Perfect in winter.
    The Body Shop Cinnamon Spice - not quite sure what to make of this but I love it all the same. To my nose it is quite a festive scent with a distinct fruity citrus vibe inter woven with cloves, licorice, cinnamon on a base of smooth woods. Delicate and sheer enough to wear in warmer weather.
    The Body Shop Ananya - fruity rose dominated floriental with a wonderful thwack of spice which raises it above the mundane.
    The Body Shop Zinzibar - Like the other 8 Invent Your Scent offerings, this is structured around a simple accord for ease of layering. Zinzibar is devoted to spice, ginger in particular - it's in the top and heartnotes - bolstered with citruses, pepper, cardamom, cedarwood and sandalwood.
    The Body Shop Altaro - Surprisingly good quality take on the ambery woods vanilla oriental base. Featuring and dominated by the basic amber / sandalwood accord a touch of smoke / incense adds depth and complexity to a rather linear scent. It is brilliant for layering with other more complex scents.
    Etro Shaal Nur - Original fresh oriental. Opens with a bright citrus note similar to Shalimar and dries down to a powdery but light oriental base. Wonderful, haunting.
    FENDI édition 2004 - A far cry from the original, uncompromising green leather floriental this is a floriental for a new generation. Warm fruity and floral with a warm ambery vanilla base. Cousin to the sadly discontinued Chopard Mira Bai and Naomi Campbell Exult.
    Jean Paul Gaultier Classique - EDP and parfum. Rose, orchid and vanille bourbon dominated boozy floriental. Cosy and sexy. Moreish.
    Vivienne Westwood Anglomania - Cardamom, rose and leather dominated fruity floral oriental. Sexy. Same vibe as JPG Classique EDP but less powdery / cloying.
    Azzaro Oh La La - spicy oriental. Similar to Chanel Coco.
    Dinner by Bobo - spicy oriental. Juicy, fruity, aromatic. Cardamom, plum, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla, gingerbread, patchouli all feature in this wonderful sensual feast for the senses.
    Boucheron Initial - EDT. Spicy almost gourmand oriental. Elegant and sophisticated but still sexy. Features a honeyed drydown.
    Fendi Asja - unique, original spicey oriental, warm and fruity.
    Gucci Eau de Parfum - Warm, woody oriental gently spiced. Wears close to the skin with little sillage but quite long lasting and strangely moreish. Great for day wear and close quarters occasions.
    Jo Malone Nutmeg & Ginger - sheer, 'clean' spiced woody oriental. Linear with nutmeg dominating. Great for layering with other perfumes.
    Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir - sheer yet powerful & long lasting fruity spiced oriental. Red fruits, plum, opoponax and incense dominate this confident, sexy scent.
    Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant - EDP. Deep, rich spicy oriental with a dry smoky incense base. Very spicy. Cardamom, cloves, licorice, incense dominate. Same vibe as Dinner by Bobo.
    L'Artisan Tea 4 Two - Honeyed smooth white woods with a distinct tea, ginger and carnation accord dominating the blend in the heart notes. Delicate yet powerful.
    Lagerfeld KL - vintage and EDT. The olfactory lovechild of Dana Tabu and YSL Opium. The modern EDT is sweeter with more patchouli. Very warm, spicy and sexy but not cloying.
    YSL Nu EDP - an amazingly dry spiced woody oriental in which cedar, orchids and black pepper dominate. Arid at first but the drydown is worth waiting for. Lasts for days. Dry down is similar to Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum but deeper.
    Anna Sui Sui Dreams - surprisingly adult fruity floral vanilla oriental. Dries down to a sexy smoky white woods musk base.
    Chopard Mira Bai - very similar to Chopard Casmir but much drier, woody and less cloying. Starts out warm, woody and fruity then dries down to a sexy ambery vanilla base. Very wearable.
    Chopard Wish - less cloying / strident interpretation of the (Thierry Mugler Angel) gourmand oriental theme.
    Dunhill Desire for a Woman - a delicate but potent spicy vanilla oriental. Sheer and subtle enough to wear to the office but can also be sexy and great on dates. Licorice and tiare flower in the heart notes dominate before the subtle, skin but better milky base notes.
    Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier 2 - This doesn't work for me. To my nose it is JPG Classique with all the interesting stuff (rum, roses, orchids, etc) removed. Powdery, cloying amber, musk and vanilla remain. Same vibe as Diesel Plus Plus Feminine and TBS Cosy Cashmere. Very cosy and comforting. Sexy for those with a sweet tooth.
    Guerlain Jicky - PdT. Complex lavender opening then a delicious complex resinous amber vanilla dry down. Sadly quite fleeting on my skin. Wonderful whilst it lasts and well worth the necessary frequent top ups.
    Guerlain Shalimar Light (Eau Legere) - Modern interpretation of the classic Shalimar for a new generation. Much less complex and darkly incensy. Very fresh citrussy top and heart notes before a warm, slightly powdery, ambery base. Like olfactory lemon meringue pie but surprisingly unfoody and still feminine and sexy.
    Jean-Louis Scherrer Nuits Indiennes - Elegant, classic powdery vanilla oriental in the same mode as Shalimar, Trouble and Vol de Nuit. Has a wonderful almondy heliotrope edge that makes it almost gourmand. Subtly sexy.
    Krizia Krazy Krizia
    Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon - Complex, rich woody oriental. Spicy with a distinct note of Amaretto (almond liquor). Luxe.
    Cacharel Gloria - EDT & bath oil. I love the EDT in this which is a smooth fruity woody oriental with a distinctive Amaretto (almond liquor) note. Feminine and sexy. The bath oil is a more gourmand take on the same theme and plays up the almond notes of the original. Perfect worn alone as well as layered with the original.
    Chanel Bois des Iles - a very elegant, smooth creamy woody oriental, built around sandalwood. It is warm and delicately spiced with a delicious gingerbread accord which compliments but never dominates the smooth white woods.
    Guerlain AA Winter Delice - I love this scent. It opens cool and icy like snow on the breeze with a woody 'pine' accord which evokes a wlak through a winters snowy forest landscape. Almost immediately the scent warms and you get wafts of festive fruit and spices with a delicious gingerbread accord that weaves throughout the other notes. The scent is warm, festive and immediately recalls Christmas celebrations past but manages not to be gourmand or cloying.
    Paul Smith London For Women - EDP. Sheer, fresh, fruity floral oriental built around patchouli on a base of sexy ambery woods. Great for day time wear but sensual enough for evening.
    Serge Lutens Arabie - Dates, Figs, candied peel, cardamom with spice and more spice over incense, musk and smooth woods. Intense, rich and less gourmand then it sounds.
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan - Original distinct Amber dominated oriental. Opens complex and herbaceous with oregano, coriander etc, but eventually dries down to a deep resinous spiced amber with a sexy chocolatey sillage. Unforgettable.
    Van Cleef & Arpels Birmane - bold spicy fruity floral with a delicious spicy woods dry down. Very long lasting with intriguing sillage. A wonderful scent experience to wear.
    Serge Lutens Cedre - Opens big with sultry, sexy tuberose but the ambery woods and gingerbread accord in the base puts this scent firmly in with orientals. Wonderful.
    Serge Lutens Gris Clair - described as a dry Oriental, reveals an imaginary note of lavender that has gone pale gray in late summer. I initially loved this but each wearing since has been a tiresome experience as the scent is very potent and long lasting on my skin with good sillage. Sadly there is a note / accord in this that turns to 'generic men's cologne' on me and is very irritating. I find it cloying and too demanding of my attention when I wear it. I think the note may be apple but either way Gris Clair is nigh impossible for me to wear. I much prefer the Non Export Encens et Lavande from the same house.

I am pretty sure I have missed a few, but I think there is more then enough to be going on with. I may add more as I remember / receive them...

Happy New Year & Happy Sniffing!
    Last edited by moondeva; 2nd January 2007 at 10:37 AM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Moondeva, I love reading your lists like this! I learn so much and explore scents I would have never known or remembered.

I am looking forward to the Sniff N Speak and am making my list of wearables
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

I would like some help deciding on an Oriental to wear on Saturday. If you ladies would like to check out my wardrobe and give me some suggestions, I'd certainly appreciate it.
    Some notes:
    I don't want to wear anything that I know fairly well. So Lolita Lempicka, Trouble, Black Cashmere, Cashmere Mist, & Prada are out.
    I want something very representative of the genre, not a floriental, or a gourmandy oriental, or a woody oriental. Something more classicly oriental.
    I am hoarding my Poivre, so preferably not that.
    I own Opium, but really don't like it.
    Thanks!

moondeva - fantastic list!!! a great read - hopefully I've taken some of what I've just read on board!

pellen - from what I could tell on your list (and from my limited knowledge of fragrances) most of your orientals are either florientals or woody orientals, with the exception of Opium. I'd love to suggest a couple that you could wear:
    Nuit de Noël sounds really nice - I've never tried any of the Caron fragrances (I don't know if they're available here) -- i think this is a woody oriental
    L'Heure Bleue sounds nice too -- i think this one's a floriental

Now, I have to figure out what I'm gonna wear!!! Anyone have any suggestions for me? If you have time, please check out my wardrobe - both in My Collection & Pending...my samples are in the "pending" section, so there may be something in there that may be nice! Thanks all!

I have most of orientals, too, as it´s the type of frag I love the most. Now I am in the happy position that Shalimar, (conciderd as "the mother of all orientals", I red in a perfume-book...), is new to me, and I am really in love with it. I guess it will be what I will be wearing.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Should be fun! I don't usually think of myself as an oriental wearer, but after reading Moondeva's list I realize that my notion of "oriental" has been rather limited. I'm not sure what I'll wear on Saturday - that's usually a last minute decision. I'm looking foward to the 2007 Sniff-n-Speaks.

Ooh, I received a sample of Fendi Theorema the other day. Sounds like a perfect day to try it!

Decisions Decisions...
    I am an Oriental lover (I did the test at Osmoz) and I have a sizeable collection to choose from. I honestly do not know what to wear on that day.
    It would be very much appreciated if you could help me making such decision.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut
    Decisions Decisions...
    I am an Oriental lover (I did the test at Osmoz) and I have a sizeable collection to choose from. I honestly do not know what to wear on that day.
    It would be very much appreciated if you could help me making such decision.
    Going by perfumes you have not graded in your wardrobe, I would suggest:

Donna Karan Black Cashmere
    Issey Miyake Le Feu D'Issey
    Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles

as great oriental themed scents to explore further this saturday.

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    Going by perfumes you have not graded in your wardrobe, I would suggest:

Donna Karan Black Cashmere
    Issey Miyake Le Feu D'Issey
    Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles

as great oriental themed scents to explore further this saturday.
    Dear Moondeva,
    Thanks and I will start grading my scent.
    You have made some good selection for me since I have neglected these 3 gems for a while.

Since Orientals are my favourite olfactory group I'm really looking forward to this one! The only problem is that there are so many scents to choose from, but I might very well end up with Comme des Garçons EdP or Poivre: I started this year in the latter and have been wearing the former since Tuesday...

Excellent list, Moondeva!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I still have no idea what I'm going to wear...I've had one suggestion so far: LouLou....anyone else have any ideas for me?? Thanks in advance!!

Orientals are my favorite fragrance type and with the exception of about a dozen assorted other things, all I own are orientals. Look at Moondeva's list and she just about covers it and then some. I don't think she listed my very, very, very, favorite though, and that is LE BAISER DU DRAGON!!!

Moondeva or anyone else, would you take a look at my 'drobe and make some suggestions as well? I made a short list and actually ordered a couple new scents, but i'm not sure they'll arrive by saturday.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

To mochi -- there are two ways to approach the forthcoming S'n'S:
    1) to either wear what you got in your wardrobe (Caron Sacre, CDG Kyoto, Molinard Habanita, Animale Animale) be it one of your favorites or the one making you step outside of your comfort zone, or
    2) to try something new in the mall this coming Saturday.

Whatever is easiest for you, honey!

How could I forget? I would also like to add:
    Shanghai
    Omnia
    Prada
    Euphoria
    Burberry Brit
    Hypnotic poison
    Carolina (listed as fruity oriental)
    Men's Tomorrow (Avon)
    Pi (men's)
    Carlos Santana (Men's)

This is a tough choice! L'elephant is probably one of my fave orientals, very spicy. BUT I used that in the gourmand test last month along with Fantasy.

Maybe Coco or D&G red cap, suggestions?

I've read that Venezia is an oriental, and I'm choosing it for Saturday (I'm also choosing it to begin my use it or lose it NY resolution..I realize I will miss the loss of Venezia less if I've taken joy in the wearing, not fear in the hoarding)

So I have made my Oriental Sniff´n Speak-choose, and also written about it here at basenote. Next month will not be this easy... The animalic theme have not so many items to choose between as this oriental theme, at least not among female perfumes...
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Orientals aren't my favorite category. In house I have some leftovers of Boucheron and Mira Bai, but I don't care to wear them anymore, although I still appreciate their great qualities.

I've chosen Bond No. 9's Nuits de Noho (often likened to Angel), whose notes are: Bergamot, Mandarin, Pineapple Leaves; Jasmine, Rosewood; Vanilla, Patchouli, Grey Musk.

Osmoz qualifies Orientals as "Where warmth meets sensuality. Musk, vanilla and precious woods with a touch of tropical flowers and spice." So I see how NdN fits in this class, but it isn't the first scent one thinks of as an Oriental. In fact, I don't think anyone else has mentioned it.

I prefer NdN as my nighttime scent, dabbing on a little when I change over from shoes to slippers. I'm not loving it as a morning experience. Since Pomegranate Noir is considered a spicy Oriental, I'd prefer to be smelling that, but hubby will be hovering nearby, and PN is particularly distasteful to him. (Shhhh. Just bought of decant of PN off ebay last night )
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I'm wearing Sans Nom by Bourbon French Perfumes.

"A spicy & exotic oriental fragrance whose name means 'without name' in French. A name would hamper the free spirit of this bold & exciting, daring & dangerous fragrance!"

Well, it's not all that dangerous or I probably wouldn't be wearing it. ;-) It's actually a soft, powdery, sweet & spicy perfume, an oriental that I can wear rather than it wearing me. Sans Nom is old fashioned, but very wearable for me because there is no harshness here. The ingredients are all soft and smell non-chemically.

Enjoy your day!

Edit: I enjoyed this the first hour or so, but as the fragrance lingered hours later I found it too cloying, which is a problem I have with many orientals. I think the floral-orientals are more to my taste. Still, this has been fun. It's good to get outside your comfort zone now and then.
    Last edited by sherrie11; 7th January 2007 at 06:16 PM.

Okay, here I go, Sniffin' and Speakin'! I have chosen Le Baiser du Dragon for Oriental day. I guess that it qualifies as Oriental through the woody and exotic base notes, patchouli, benzoin, and amber. (The name also makes it a dead giveaway.) I love this fragrance; it does contain many of my favourite notes: iris, cedar, almond (amaretto). I notice that many of my favourite fragrances (Prada, Trouble) also contain those same base notes, so I guess I like Orientals.

I started out with Samsara shine which is lovely but disappears really quickly on me. decided to try my vol de nuit decant but somehow ended up spritzing shalimar instead. The first baby powder whiff is always a turn off for me but then it warms up and gets such a lovely velvety smell.

Orientals, are my all-time favorite scent group. This is where I find all those sultry, steamy and sexy scents that make me truly feel like myself .
    For today's Sniff-n-Speak Saturday, Jan. 6th 2007, both hubby and I are delighting in Black Cashmere. An ultra sexy, oriental-spicy, naughty, little diva that's making me fall in love with everything today! Black Cashmere smell stunning on both of us, even though it's slightly different on our skin. I can't stop sniffing him, he can't stop sniffing me... we're truly in an olcaftory heaven today! Black Cashmere is warm and richly comforting in a way and yet, voluptuous and seductive in way that refuses to go unnoticed. She is bold and vibrant but dark and opulet with notes that include saffron, clove, rose, white pepper, Ethiopian incense, vanilla, amber, patchouli, African wenge wood, and cinnamon.

Salvador Dali

It is all about angels and demons. From Lord Vishnu and his lovely wife Laxmi, to Ramayana and Mahabharata, it is all about excitement and adventure. Throw in some difficulties and obstacles, spice it up with the in-depth description of clothes or absence of such, smooth it with a detailed account on how magnificent the Himalayan Mountains and the River were and portray a few species of flora -- and you got it! Wrong (need a sound here like on the Wheel of Fortune "trrrrrrrrr")!

My SotD was introduced to me by my then BF S. back in 1995. It was new, it was available in the Eastern USA, and, on top of everything, it was French. Oh, I know it, it smells like Shalimar and I do not wear it well, said I. He suggested we give the big bottle to my grandma and the mini to my then best girlfriend. My Oma's bottle got expropriated by my more sophisticated cousin, who used it for the sole purpose of cleaning her computer keyboard with a cotton ball saturated in it, and my girlfriend ended up marrying S. and divorcing him one year after. Last year during one of my trips to the local bazaar -- aka Harry Hines district, where one can buy costume jewelry, purses and cosmetics all imported and, please, do not make a mistake of expecting anything coming close to the term "quality" -- I spotted a mini and decided to buy it. You know now, it was not totally blind, and it was cheap, so here I got it:
    Top: Bergamot, lemon, mandarin, peach;
    Heart: jasmine, lily of the valley, lilac, heliotrope;
    Base: sandal, benzoin, tonka, civet.

It is cool and green, it is rough and distant, it is nonchalant and unapproachable. In the first 20 minutes. But remember, it is all about demons and angels? It is aromatic and tender, slightly fruity, a tad dusty, and, for sure, it is NOT for a garden pique-nique with a bunch of girls on a warm spring day despite lilac and lily of the valley! All of a sudden its astringent qulaities are morphed into dry, resinous (benzoin, I am telling you!) and hot with no "warm" between cool and hot. It is incensy and a bit dirty, while its coolness is still present, it is vanillic, but not at all like Shalimar, or Organza, or Pi, it is a cool vanilla they were using in it! The one that, probably, the wind from the majestic Himalaya brings to the Ganges enchanted forests! I am enjoying and wanting more of Jean Louis Scherrer Nuits Indiennes (1994) today. Do you?
    Last edited by Twolf; 7th January 2007 at 03:07 AM.

thanks for sending me here, quarry! everyone's descriptions are so eloquent...i am jealous of everyone's scents today. i wish i could be wearing all of them! "oriental" is one of my favorite scent categories, although its definition is quite broad. when i see something like pink sugar labelled as an oriental i start to see how truly broad it is. i suppose it's the vanilla? i guess when i think "oriental" i think "spicy" but that's not necessarily the case.

so for today i decided to go old school and wear youth dew. youth dew amber nude is one of my FAVORITES, but today was strictly youth dew - the bath oil. unfortunately it was too heavy for the weather today. it was a little heavy and cloying. it reminds me a little of a pomander - when you stick little cloves into an orange. it has carnation, which always strikes me as an "old-fashioned" note.

The description on OsMoz says it best: "The floral notes of carnation, ylang ylang, rose and jasmine are spiced up with cinnamon and clove and warmed by orange, bergamot and peach. Its distinguishing end note of balsam, patchouli, incense and honey add a remarkable lingering quality."
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

Here we go:
    Started off with Samsara Parfum which I recover from the masses of boxes during the relocation. It is my first and only bottle of Samsara which I bought during a Guerlain sale 6 years ago. I bought it for the bottle as it is so 80s and reminds me of the big hair do and era of chunky gold accessories. The first impression of Samsara on me was heady and fresh, I have a dab on each wrist and a drop near my belly. The scent just lingers on my clothes all day until almost 9 pm. It is very sensual, and it has been a while since I have worn this. It is certain worthwhile to parfum because their staying power is superb. The freshness of the scent went away very quickly and all I could detect was the lovely oriental santal, ylang ylang and woody undertone to this. This is a classic and definately a keeper.
    Samsara notes from Osmoz:
    Top notes : Bergamot, Lemon, Green Note, Tarragon
    Middle notes : Jasmine, Rose, Ylang-Ylang, Carnation
    Base notes : Sandal, Vanilla, Benzoin, Tonka
    I switched to Vol de Nuit Edt after 9pm just to freshen up and headed to another venue (a place where my friends had their stag night, and everyone behaved). Vol de Nuit is on my wishlist. I always has been fascinated by the story behind this scent. It was recorded as a scent where main character was using in a Chinese novel. In the novel, they have translated the name of the scent to 'Flying at Midnight'. I couldn't remember the details of the books, but I have always been interested in finding out what it is and the name sounded so mysterious and edgy. My good friend thought it is powdery but she thinks it smells very nice on me.
    At midnight I put on on Douce Amere (according to Osmoz it is a Floral-Jasmine in terms of olfactory group), I feel that it is more of an oriental scent as it has a very stong vanilla undernotes. I love the Absinth in this and how it evolved into a very sweet vanilla based scent.
    Before I went to bed, I put on some L'Instant Eau de Noel to bed. I am not sure what is the real difference between this and the original. From what I have read, it is an oriental-floral. It smells nice, feminine and I will keep using this as my bedtime scent.
    I LOVE oriental, I can wear them anytime, anywhere and it is this is my favourite olfactory group.

I am often not clear on what makes a scent "oriental" vs another category. One scent that I was sure would be classified as such is always listed as a floral chypre!

Revlon's Maroc seems oriental to me...i guess a little moss make something chypre

For my Sniff-n-Speak scent, I decided to go with a nice new fragrance - In Control Curious by Britney Spears - which OsMoz describes as "A sweet and sexy potion that thrives on the unknown".

Top note : Loquat Fruit
    Middle note : Night Orchid, Crème Brulee, Black Vanilla, Tonka Crystals
    Base note : Sugar, Sandalwood, Musk

I love how it smells on a card (you know, when you're sampling in a store!), but for the time it was on my skin I could smell nothing but vanilla. Not that that's a bad thing, but I would've loved to have smelt some of the other notes. I guess my skin just doesn't like orientals!! I was also pretty disappointed with the longevity - it's an EdP, but it only lasted 2 and a half hours! Still, those 2 and a half hours weren't too bad - vanilla is a nice scent to smell...it definitely could've been worse!

Report on yesterday's Big-Time-Oriental-Binge

Funny how often I overdo the things I like/love. Child in candystore

One Oriental? Yummy!...Two Orientals? Great!! Three Orientals? Ah, now we're talking. Four Orientals? *singing happily: you can never have too much*
    Idiots going for five Orientals anywhere?....Nah, nobody is that stupid

Sniff, sniff, isn't that Riannon on her fifth Oriental??

DH is seeking refuge in his office, leaving the Oriental Princess alone, urging her to take a Tsssss!!

These were the beauties I chose:

Chopard's Mira Bai
    Fendi's Theorema
    Must de Cartier
    Boucheron extrait
    MPG's Soir d' Orient (rather unknown and discontinued scent: notes include amber, leather and sandalwood)

I did not even wait for the night to apply Soir d'Orient!!

Moondeva: this was Close Layering of the Third Kind!! (whatever).

It is possible that this was a bit too enthousiastic approach.
    Just maybe.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Sorry, didn´t realize it was here I should Speak in the Sniff´n Speak. But I do it now instead, better late then never. I will also speak a little more, as others also do so in this thread.

My Oriental Sniff´n Speak is Shalimar by Guerlain, the most romantic of my orientals, IMO. I find it fragile and gentle, yet lasting all day on my skin. - I haven´t tried it until some weeks ago, and have fallen for it completly and at once. I also got the bodylotion the very Sniff´n Speak Day, and it is just as wonderful as I hoped. Most of you BN:s know this frag very well, as it is a famous classic, but for those of you who don´t, I write the notes (from osMoz):

Top: Bergamot, Mandarin; Cedar, Lemon
    Heart: Patchouli, Jasmine, Rose, Orris
    Base: Vanilla, Benzoin, Peru Balsam, Leather

I recognize this frag so much! I bet my grandmother was wearing this one! My mum never wear frags, she is totally unintrested, and have always been, but my grandma used perfumes, I remember from my childhood. I don´t remember the names of her perfumes, as I didn´t paied any attention. But I do remember the smell of the perfumes and the bottles. I was very fond of my grandma, and I belive she is the primary cause of my own intrest in fraganses.
    Last edited by Margareta; 7th January 2007 at 09:43 AM.

Since I wear orientals pretty frequently, I decided to try a new one (to me) for SOTD -- Caron En Avion extrait, the 1932 classic by Earnest Daltroff. The Caron web site describes this as a floral oriental with notes of "orange tree, rose, jasmine, carnation… Totally new balance of rich flowers on a dry, spicy, wooded base" with this personality: "Assertive temperament. Self-assurance and calculated eccentricity. Unique vapor trail."

On me En Avion opens with spicy top notes over a somewhat camphorous foundation -- very old school. From there, it's Caron heritage becomes apparent, as the Daltroff vanilla begins to blossom. The Play-Doh note common to Carons came out as the middle notes came forward, and then receded into the the warm vanillic drydown, lightly spiced.

This was my first time wearing a Caron extrait, and I was disappointed that it did not have more strength and projection -- it seemed to have no sillage at all. This is a fragrance I will have to revisit, as all of the basic elements of the classic appeal to me, but somehow the whole package was a bit underwhelming. May be my nose was having an off day, maybe it's just as well that I not fall hard for a second Caron urn frag
    Last edited by coumarin; 7th January 2007 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf
    It is incensy and a bit dirty, while its coolness is still present, it is vanillic, but not at all like Shalimar, or Organza, or Pi, it is a cool vanilla they were using in it! The one that, probably, the wind from the majestic Himalaya brings to the Ganges enchanted forests! I am enjoying and wanting more of Jean Louis Scherrer Nuits Indiennes (1994) today. Do you?
    Do I ever!(Wolfie, you sure you know how to get a girl going! And a great back story!)

BUT - not knowing all of this yesterday morning, and FORGETTING it was Oriental SnS - I innocently dabbed on Rumba from Balenciaga.

"Rumba opens on a rich and tenacious fruity note of mirabelle, peach and plum. The heart unveils orchid, magnolia, gardenia, jasmine, tuberose, Indian carnation and patchouli. The fragrance ends on an equally rich accord of amber, leather, vanilla and oakmoss." (Thank you, OzMoz)

Can't remember why I ordered this decant from Moondeva but I did and WOW do I love it! Yesterday the opening note for me was - SMO-O-O-O-KIN'. (For some reason - my nose often goes right for the basenote) and morphed then into all those fruits and flowers I so love. (My middle name is Melita - a shortened form of Amelita, "little Amelia" - there's latin in me somewhere - I really respond to all that lush Moorish darkness.)

"Straight from the streets with all the liveliness of its hot Latin heart, Rumba unveils joyous, sensuous and dancing notes. It moves to the rhythm of quiet glissandos, swaying hips and lingering gazes. The fragrance combines Latin energy and the sophisticated taste of a Parisian couturier."

Anyway this beauty lasts and lasts and gets more potent as the hours go by.

So the end of this love story is - FULL BOTTLE!!! (it's SO reasonable) - second of the year and January's not even over. (Rhumba's off into sunset....hips swaying, gaze lingering....) :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I missed computer time completely yesterday but shared my day with three fragrances:

1.Le Parfum de Therese - Malle - bright and spicy, strong and ladylike

2. Creed's Eugenie, which I have waxed poetic about already, but let me add that I wore this to a four hour meeting with my contractor, knowing I would have to make some executive decisions about a project we are starting, and knew that this fragrance is "regal" enough to be authoritative, but pretty enough to be non intimidating. The feeling of power from this fragrance is not "bitch power" but "queenly power." Think Benevolent Monarchess or Merciful and Compassionate Goddess that has the power to give and take away but decides to give.
    ADDED this evening: It looks like Eugenie is considered oriental!!!
    Top Notes: Oriental notes w/mixture of Italian jasmin, sandalwood and vanilla

3. Carnal Flower 'Malle

Are these orientals? Hell, I don't know.
    Am I oriental? Hell, I don't know, my Dad's from Shanghai , my Mom from Kansas. Sometimes I feel "oriental" and sometimes I don't.
    All I know is they FELT oriental to me.
    Since Carnal FLower is still lingering from last night,
    let me post some of the notes here :

bergamot, melon, camphor, jasmin, orange blossom, ylang ylang, coconut milk

The coconut and ylang ylang seem to be lingering this morning.
    This is a unique and stunning fragrance, with robust sillage - I went to blockbuster last night reeking of this and felt like a total femme fetale in my jeans and black t shirt, I just KNEW that every man in my wake, (and perhaps woman, too, hee hee hee) was rendered weak kneed by my aroma.Of course they were too polite to say anything.
    This fragrance has a strongly textural quality to me...like rough velvet with a burned out embellishment in it, like the smoothness comes to you in rough patches, does that make sense?
    Very sexy, very earthy, pretty serious stuff.

I resolve to try the MPG Soir d'Oriental sample that patty sent me sometime today and post it here to redeem myself just in case these scents are not true orientals.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 8th January 2007 at 12:18 AM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Like Coumarin, I wear Orientals most of the time, but unlike her who tried a 30es classic - but new to her - I decided to go for a new on the market and new to me. First time, I did only briefly try it during a sniffathon amongst a few others and it left me perplexed. So I retried it, alone this time. And now I'm among those who sing its praises...Tom Ford Black Orchid.
    Notes are Black truffle, ylang ylang, bergamot, black currant, black orchid, rich fruit accord, floral accord, lotus wood, patchouli, incense, vetiver, vanilla tears, balsam, sandalwood.
    The head and heart notes of this fragrance are unbelievably glamorous. The floral notes are dark, soft and buttery and the fruit is ripe bordering on overripe, so much so that one has the impression that five minutes more and it would be decay...but this note is strangely appealing (mochi, you were right!) . I'm still looking for that black truffle note - truffles have a strong ammonia smell, for me almost unbearably so - but I cannot identify it as a single note, maybe it adds to the above strange, intoxicating note. The drydown is nothing like Allure Sensuelle on my skin (and nothing like Addict, as seemed to me when first testing); it's a very refined take on patchouli/amber that lasts forever. On my skin, no vanilla and lots of incence-y patch ...
    I'm wearing it again today and its effect is the proverbial "can't stop sniffing myself".
    Must have a full bottle of it!!! :bounce:
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 7th January 2007 at 04:22 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Now I've at last found the correct place to post (so many people here were
    saying what they were going to smell, in the future, I thought this was the wrong place!) I'll speak about the oriental I wore yesterday - ROMA.

I love the fresh, clean minty/citrussy opening of this ambery oriental by Roman Designer Laura Biagiotti.

Mint is not a note I expected to enjoy, but mingled with blackcurrant
    leaves and pink grapefruit it is amazing! To my mind this first stage is the best part of the EDT (there is no EDP apparently) and the bit I revel in the most.

The floral middle section - lily of the valley, jasmine and rose are not as
    pronounced to my nose as the balsamy, vanilla,patchouli, sandalwood base which
    is soft and sophisticated.

One of my favourite orientals of all.

z
    Last edited by kewart; 7th January 2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: a few noes were wrongly mentioned.

Since Orientals are among my very favorites, I decided to try a couple of new (to me) ones for this month's Sniff & Speak. At the Neiman frag counter on my way home Friday, I was having myself a good time sniffing and chatting with everyone, and ended up getting "bumped up" from one of the clearly newer SAs who'd originally started with me to the senior SA on the counter.

Senior SA asked me what my single favorite scent was. I told her I had five or six, she said, "Pick one." So I did (JL Sherrer 2). She sprayed me a couple of selections, but I ended up going home with a sample of Hermes Rouge for the Sniff & Speak.

I found it very sweet and lightly spicy with a soft powdery amber note. Classy, lovely and feminine. I found started out quite strong, then softed within a few minutes. The amber and a touch of the spiciness came forward more on the dry down, but it didn't "develop," with different notes taking center stage at different times, the way some scents seem to. Still, I found the blend to be masterful and really enjoyed it start to finish.

On first try, I like Rouge a lot, but don't love it, probably because I have several other frags that are similar on me that I already adore. Rouge has more amber notes than some of my others, and I like that a lot! Will definitely need to try a few more times and keep an eye on it. I could grow to love this one.

It also lasted quite a long time on me (over 12 hours before all traces were gone from my skin, even with a little wrist-washing later in the day ). Plan to try the Hermes Rouges/Caron Bellodgia layering combo Moondeva has recommended, too!

summer means fireflys

Another oriental girl here, I think most of my collection are orientals. So, when picking something for the sniff&speak day yesterday, I had a tough time deciding. I finally settled on Shalimar Eau Légère because it had a taste of everything old and new about orientals.

I'm a fan of Shalimar, even though I came to it late. And like so many others, I was really afraid of what Guerlain would do to Shalimar by making a "light" version. But I think Guerlain did Shalimar proud by keeping the heart and soul of Shalimar, but making it somehow lighter and brighter, a little more luminous and shimmery . I don't think you have to choose one or the other, I think one can like both versions. It keeps the tradition and heritage of the original but adds a modern twist with an eye to the future.

notes (from osmoz) include:
    Top note: Lemon, bergamot
    Middle note: Jasmine, iris, orange
    Base note: Vanilla, amber
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Like many of you, I wear orientals quite a lot (maybe too much) and skipped this Speak-and-Sniff on Saturday because I honestly was not in the mood for any of my favorites (blame it on the heat - it was a perfect day for Carnal Flower).

Today, however, I'm wearing Tabu, an oriental which actually is a daring choice for me, for two reasons: first, because its reputation makes me self-conscious and second, because it's much darker and spicier than anything else I own. It's a chance for me to own up to any label snobbery I may have, and to wear something that doesn't smell at all "me" (no pronounced floral notes, no gourmand elements, no powder).

I'm not getting any soap this time around (a note which has bothered me in the past), but I am getting a really lovely whiff of Nag Champa incense. There's also a lot of heavy patchouli, which I actually like quite a lot, some cinnamon, and a fruity or citrus note that I can't quite name, but which gives the composition some roundness and color. I can't wait to layer this with some other frags; I want to see if I can bring out more of that hidden lusciousness.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

Default Re: REMINDER ::: Sniff-n-Speak

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or otherwise, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment. It's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within the themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    January ~ Oriental
    February ~ Animalic (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)
    March ~ Chypre
    April ~ Floral
    May ~ Fruity
    June ~ Citrus
    July ~ Green (2007: emphasis on vetiver)
    August ~ Fresh or aquatic
    September ~ Fougere or men's fragrances
    October ~ Ambery
    November ~ Spicy
    December ~ Gourmand
    I'm just quoting this to bump it back up the list of threads for those who have been wondering where it went. I'm sure we're still on for animalic next weekend -- right? I got Musc Ravageur for the occasion!

And I am at your side with Musc Ravageur as well, maybe followed by some Cuir Mauresque
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Default Re: REMINDER ::: Sniff-n-Speak

Quote Originally Posted by coumarin
    I'm just quoting this to bump it back up the list of threads for those who have been wondering where it went. I'm sure we're still on for animalic next weekend -- right? I got Musc Ravageur for the occasion!
    No need to bump a thread for the last S'n'S, the "mother thread" is here:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...183718&page=13

I'm sure Quarry will start a new thread for 3rd February, and I will make it sticky.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon
    And I am at your side with Musc Ravageur as well, maybe followed by some Cuir Mauresque
    I have to say this is one case where the power of suggestion far outweighs the actual character of a scent. Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur is all about the vanilla oriental to me and very little about an animalic musk.

Time & time again I read people recommending it as a real animalic musk and though I agree that there is musk in the blend, it is more as a binding background base note (fixative) for the amber and vanilla then a major factor in the overall theme - fancy name or not. On my skin it is all chocolatey amber and vanilla laced with cinnamon and tangerine - a naughty sensual oriental with no florals similar to Lolita Lempicka L, Givenchy Organza Indecence, and Yves Rocher Neonatura Cocoon.

I am not surprised that so many that 'love' musk, because of Musk Ravageur, are so shell shocked when confronted by a true animalic musk like Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan, Ava Luxe Rasa (old formulation), or Nemat Supreme Musk.

Even the pussycats Coty Wild Musk, Lentheric Just Musk, Revlon Intimate Musk and Jovan Musk Oil have more animalic musk going on then Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur.

hummph!

Smile Re: REMINDER ::: Sniff-n-Speak Saturday, Jan. 6>>>ORIENTALS

I guess Jan. is the best month of 2007 for me, as the Orientals are my absolute favorite frags. I've tried many perfumes over the years, and really enjoyed some of them, but have always come back to these wonderfully seductive and enticing scents. Although I still love and wear Opium and Shalimar I've happily found others like Etro Shaal Nur, Bellodogia and Arabie.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spicegirl
    I guess Jan. is the best month of 2007 for me, as the Orientals are my absolute favorite frags. I've tried many perfumes over the years, and really enjoyed some of them, but have always come back to these wonderfully seductive and enticing scents. Although I still love and wear Opium and Shalimar I've happily found others like Etro Shaal Nur, Bellodogia and Arabie.
    Welcome to Basenotes, spicegirl! :wave:

Here's hoping that you are here to enjoy many more oriental January's with us here in the years to come!

Spicegirl, my favorites are orientals also. Today I accidently broke a large bottle of Hypnotic Poison. I managed to fill four other bottles, but got it all over me so I will say: Hypnotic Poison
    Notes:Bitter Almond, Caraway
    Jasmine
    Vanilla, Moss, Jacaranda Wood, Musk

Yummy, especially if you add a little musk essential oil.

Thankyou so much for the welcome and although I am a complete novice when it comes to the wonderful world of fragrance, I hope to learn a great deal from all of you "veterns". I don't know a whole lot about frags, but I know what I like, and Orientals are it.
    I do know how to use the search, so will try not to ask too many stupid questions! Please bear with me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TDDanae
    Spicegirl, my favorites are orientals also. Today I accidently broke a large bottle of Hypnotic Poison. I managed to fill four other bottles, but got it all over me so I will say: Hypnotic Poison
    Notes:Bitter Almond, Caraway
    Jasmine
    Vanilla, Moss, Jacaranda Wood, Musk

Yummy, especially if you add a little musk essential oil.
    Hi TDDanae - I finally received my sample of Hypnotic Poison, and although I thought when I had a sniff of the opening notes that it was going to be overpowering, I quickly changed my mind during the dry down. Another wonderful Oriental, and I agree... yummy!