Code of Conduct

Default What do you think of the new Double-duty candles - candles to be used as lotion?

With the increasing popularity of soy wax, which is lovely for the skin, we bath and body types are working on developing formulae that allow a soy-based candle to be used both as room fragrance and as a skin lotion. (for instance, since Olive Oil is my "angle" on things, my formula uses olive, avocado and hemp oils along with the soy wax. a friend of mine who develops specifically for massage therapists is developing a formula that uses emu oil, which is good for arthritis pain.) Soy burns much cooler than paraffin, so once the wax has melted a bit you can simply extinguish the candle, dip fingers in or pour out a bit, and smooth it right onto your skin. It feels similar to using a very rich emollient body butter and doesn't leave the skin feeling 'waxy' or sticky. I've gotten a wide variety of responses to the test models in my store, so I wanted to get further opinions on the idea. Personally, I adore them. I can enjoy the scent, and then if my fingers are feeling a bit rough, I can just dip my fingers right in and take care of it. Some people react as though I'm advocating using motor oil, though.

What do you think? Would this be something you'd be open to using, assuming you liked the fragrance, or not?
    Last edited by AlthaeaSoaps; 2nd January 2007 at 01:23 PM.
    ~Melanie Teegarden, Owner
    Althaea Soaps & Herbals
    504 W. Oakland Avenue
    Johnson City, TN 37604
    www.althaea.biz/

Blog Entries

Default Re: What do you think of the new Double-duty candles - candles to be used as lotion?

Sounds like an interesting concept to me!! I'd probably use something like this, depending on the scent.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Default Re: What do you think of the new Double-duty candles - candles to be used as lotion?

I think it sounds great! Many romantic possibilities with something like this...

I have been waiting to purchase one of these. Let me know when you get it perfected. I would be very interested in purchasing one.

While I think the idea might take a while to be accepted as 'mainstream', I would certainly try it. It reminds me of getting a paraffin treatment for my hands.

Plus, the kid in all of us loves to play with wax =)

Quote Originally Posted by snakesandladders View Post
    I have been waiting to purchase one of these. Let me know when you get it perfected. I would be very interested in purchasing one.
    Sorry, I haven't been on here in forever - my larger wholesale and private label clients have been keeping me very busy!

I've got the candles up on my site and available. So far, people have been tentative to try them. However, the ones who *have* gone ahead and ordered them have all sent me good feedback about them and have ordered more, so I guess once the concept is accepted they're a hit.
    Althaea Soaps & Herbals
    504 W. Oakland Avenue
    Johnson City, TN 37604
    www.althaea.biz/

Seems weird to me!! I mean, okay, double duty products are good, I guess...but I don't really see the point! I'm an old-fashioned gal who likes her candles as candles and her lotions as lotions, and never the twain shall meet. What's next, window cleaner doubling as bubble bath?

Sorry, that was a bit harsh.....if it floats your boat, then go for it

Talking Re: What do you think of the new Double-duty candles - candles to be used as lotion?

Quote Originally Posted by ozkat View Post
    Seems weird to me!! I mean, okay, double duty products are good, I guess...but I don't really see the point! I'm an old-fashioned gal who likes her candles as candles and her lotions as lotions, and never the twain shall meet. What's next, window cleaner doubling as bubble bath?

Sorry, that was a bit harsh.....if it floats your boat, then go for it
    I guess it's all in how you look at it. If you're thinking of a candle as "waxy", then it's going to seem icky to put it on your skin. But if you think of it as a solid body butter with a wick in the center....well, maybe it still icks you out.

It's nothing like your average Yankee candle, that's for sure. Even in the jar, you can touch your fingers to it and it feels soft and "buttery". But yeah, I don't think everyone will warm up to it immediately. Although massage therapists have been ALL ABOUT IT it seems, as they tend to need lots of body emollient *and* lots of candles at the same time, and this covers both.
    Althaea Soaps & Herbals
    504 W. Oakland Avenue
    Johnson City, TN 37604
    www.althaea.biz/

I've seen a product (It think in Wallpaper magazine) that was just such an item and it had a corner that had a "lip" so you could pour the wax out neatly.

i've been looking for a container that is Aladdin's Lamp -ish for the candles. Right now I'm just using metal tins with lids. They travel well for the massage therapists who order them.
    Althaea Soaps & Herbals
    504 W. Oakland Avenue
    Johnson City, TN 37604
    www.althaea.biz/