Code of Conduct

Default Tobacco note in L by Lolita Lempicka???

This will probably strike some of you as funny, but I received some samples today and since I have lost all patience when it comes to testing, I had to try Trouble on one wrist, L'Instant on another and L on my other....just kidding...on my knee (ran out of wrists).

I really liked the L and since I was going out, I decided to scrub the other two and apply L rather liberally on my neck and forearms.

It didn't smell quite right, so I figured I didn't scrub well enough. Next I used rubbing alcohol to make sure it was all gone. Washed again, rinsed well, allowed to dry, then re-applied L.

At this point, I start to detect something like cigarette smoke. So I'm thinking this eBayer must be a smoker. I am super sensitive to cigarette smoke, so I desperately wash every bit of L off of me (now I only have 15 minutes to get out the door). I'm hung over the sink with dove and a washcloth.

Off I go to my meeting with no fragrance, but still smelling the "tobacco" in my senses. I am defeated, confused and ready to write that eBayer an email once I get home.

After applying it again LIGHTLY to my forearm, I can still detect the tobacco odor. Someone please put me out of my misery and tell me what I'm smelling. There are some unusual notes in L, so it has to be one of those, perhaps reacting to my chemistry?? Please help.

Here are the notes:
    Top note :Bitter Orange, Cinnamon Middle note :Immortal, Vanilla Base note : Precious Woods, Solar Notes, Musks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tobacco note in L by Lolita Lempicka???

I have to say I don't get any tobacco at all in L, it's a caramelly orange. But chemistry is everything, so who knows? Do others smell a tobacco note with L when you wear it?

I initially received a small sample of L as an add-on to a bottle of something else I purchased on eBay. It was love at first sight. I had to get a bottle right away, I can't even tell you what the fragrance I bought was, but I know that the small L sample sent me into a whole new direction.

I never enjoyed the original so didn't pay too much attention to the new one when it came out. I'm so happy that wonderful seller included a sample of it with my purchase .

For me there is no "tobacco" or cigarette smoke scent anywhere in this fragrance. All I get is a delicious orangy caramel... I'm wild about it!
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cherub
    . . . . I am defeated, confused and ready to write that eBayer an email once I get home.

Here are the notes:

Top note :Bitter Orange, Cinnamon Middle note :Immortal, Vanilla Base note : Precious Woods, Solar Notes, Musks
    The notes listed for a fragrance (I think this has been discussed in one of the other forums on Basenotes) do not necessarily have much to do with the reality of what's in the formulation (solar notes?!). Even though it isn't listed there may be somthing smokey/tobacco-y in there, or as others suggested, somthing which takes on this accord in conjunction with your skin. Is this a note you detect if you test L on a paper strip, too?

I doubt that the habits of even the heaviest smoker would affect a securely bottled fragrance, so you may not want to tear strips off your eBayer for being a smoker Of course, the fragrance may just not be what it should; your best bet is to go to a reliable shop, find the tester for L, and try it. If the results are the same, the fragrance is okay, but it isn't one that works for you. If it smells different than what you bought, double check (test it again at the shop), then contact the seller about THAT.

Thanks, Mysterious! I am going to take your advice and spray on paper to see.

I am sure it's not the eBayer and since I've sold on eBay myself, I know how it is. I have received those packages that just reeked from smoke, but I didn't leave negatives. I know that unless it states it in the auction, it's always a gamble. It does seem rather odd to me to sell fragrances if you smoke though.

Anyway, I'm going to retest and try to go sniff from a different bottle before deciding on this one.

Thanks

I think the Immortelle is responsible for what you perceive as cigarette smoke. Immortelle is described sometimes as a bit smokey scent. As a test you could try Sables by Annick Goutal. Very heavy on Immortelles, actually to the point that I dislike it very much.

In L by Lolita Lempicka however it is added with a lighter touch, but maybe still enough to bother you.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

I just recently tested (and fell head over heels in love with) L, and I do detect something that could be perceived as 'smokey'. On me, it's not like cigarette smoke, but more like a sweet vanilla tobacco? Pipe tobacco comes to mind. But with the right chemistry I can see this turning sour.
    ~*Christy*~

I smell not tobacco in L, and I believe that like Riannon said before me, that it must be the immortelle note you are smelling.

Immortelle absolute (i.e. Helicrysum) shares quite a bit with both hay and tobacco leaves. I don't find it very smoky, nor do I find it very apparent in L, but you must have picked up on that note.

I love helicrysum, but it does have, if anything, a note that to me smells like fenugreek and which I am not particularly fond of. Fenugreek is used extensively in Yemenite culture as a healing herb (it does absorb toxins and is really good in reducing inflamations of all sorts) and in their cuisine as a condiment. It is also used, but not in such quantities, also in many East Indian curry spice mixes.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/