Code of Conduct

Default Not a complaint: Why so many well-known scents without pyramid descriptions?

I'm not being critical, but how come there are so many well-known scents without pyramid descriptions on Basenotes?

Default Re: Not a complaint: Why so many well-known scents without pyramid descriptions?

Most of the times the notes pyramid from the houses themselves contains limited information.
    -

Default Re: Not a complaint: Why so many well-known scents without pyramid descriptions?

they should allow members to send in valid pyramids...
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmilk
    they should allow members to send in valid pyramids...
    That is allowed. If you go to the page of a fragrance in the directory, look for the 'click here to add information' links on the left hand side. However, the pyramids are rarely actually added.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

- I wonder who actually is in charge of that. I realize that the administration of the directory is a huge task, and I appreciate and am grateful for all that is being done. On the other hand, errors reported, and additions suggested have been pending for a long period within the past twelve months, or more. And I wonder if and how the resources available within the community could not be channeled in a way that would, for example, make the directory section more reliable, and up-to-date. Wikipedia may not be perfect, but the results are very impressive. Shouldn't Basenotes consider adopting some of their methods to compile information?
    - I personally do not need a fragrance pyramid (concise as it has to be for good reasons) but I shouldn't have to rely on various reviews, good and bad ones, to find a few notes mentioned for whatever fragrance.
    - I suspect the pyramids are part of the BN perfume database which means: a major number of data sets have gaps. Therefore the indispensable tool, db search, is not fully functional. If your search crit is a specific note, say lavender, you do not find all colognes containing lavender. Instead, you probably only find colognes,which have a pyramid (or equivalent) that includes lavendar. You don't believe me? Try and find Serge Luten's Encens et Lavande or Gris Clair using lavande as your search criterium
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd January 2007 at 10:51 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

There are probably more pressing issues, but pyramids can be very useful to help to get an idea of fragrances. A counter-example would be 1881 Black, but that's another topic...

I tried to submit the pyramid of M7 Fresh twice (source www.ysl-parfums.com), but it isn't there. Okay, it's not THAT different than the one for the original M7, but Fresh is also popular, so having a pyramid for that may not be entirely unwarranted.

If I was entitled to make suggestions on processing pyramid submissions, I would suggest to enter these according to their popularity, beginning with 5* views rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by BrothaG
    That is allowed. If you go to the page of a fragrance in the directory, look for the 'click here to add information' links on the left hand side. However, the pyramids are rarely actually added.
    Same experience: I added the notes for Fendi's Theorema about two months ago.
    Notes taken from the pyramid provided by Fendi itself on the box.
    I also added the name of the designer of the bottle (taken from one of my books about perfumebottles).
    They ask in the directory to add this information if you know.

Just checked the directory: still no pyramid or name of the designer of the bottle.
    Somehow this does not encourage you to try again and that is really a pity.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon
    Same experience: I added the notes for Fendi's Theorema about two months ago.
    Notes taken from the pyramid provided by Fendi itself on the box.
    I also added the name of the designer of the bottle (taken from one of my books about perfumebottles).
    They ask in the directory to add this information if you know.

Just checked the directory: still no pyramid or name of the designer of the bottle.
    Somehow this does not encourage you to try again and that is really a pity.
    Exactly my thoughts. It'd be wonderful if we could all perfect the directory so that it's a very reliable source when it comes to such information.

I know it's probably a lot of work to add and review all that but like you said, it's not encouraging for us to keep entering it if there's simply no (visible) action taken.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Please dont think that I'm not grateful to all of you who make the effort to send in information like notes, perfumer info etc. I really appreciate it.

I understand it is frustrating to send in something and watch months go by before I've added it. It's only me doing this, so occaisionally things get backlogged. I have about 785 emails containing information and images for the directory at the moment, and while I try and get round to adding them it is a slow task.

To make things easier for me, if you can quote the source of your information when you submit it (this saves me time confirming everyhting), and if you are going to send images, please dont waste your time sending me images you 'just found on the net'. - I need either images you haev taken personally, or permission from the copyright holder of the image.

I'll see what I can add later on tonight, and let you know how far i get

cheers all

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

A good source of notes and pyramids is found at www.osmoz.com. You can got to the Encyclo link under the banner, and then click on Brands and Fragrances. You input the data and hit Enter.

Many well-known houses and a few rarer ones are listed here.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca