Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Question Javari, what am I smelling?

    Hi, I'm quite new here. Been lurking for a while. I'm a 22 year old guy studying my third year at the University in Link÷ping. I originally came here just for tips on what to buy, but now it seems I got more than I bargained for

    Yesterday I was running about around town a bit and walked into The Body Shop to try out Javari. IIRC it was very similar to Le MÔle (haven't had much experince with this one, other than on paper strips). I found the opening to be ok, maybe a bit sharp, but once the top notes disappeared I found myself fairly repelled by a strong note I can't identify sitting on top of a feint but pleasant vanilla. Now, more that 15 hours (and a nights sleep) later, I can still smell it, although it's weaker and not quite as repelling anymore. Can you guys help me identify this note?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Javari, what am I smelling?

    I don't know what note your referring to. I like Javari very much, highly complimented, and inexpensive to boot.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Javari, what am I smelling?

    I also fail to notice anything repelling. Is it the pepper you don't like? That's the only thing I can *think* of someone may not like about Javari. I love it though.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Javari, what am I smelling?

    To get to the bottom of this I tried Le MÔle today and first of all: Holy cow! This frag really has some monster sillage! Second, right from the moment it was sprayed on my hand I felt the same repelling note (could be due to the fact that I knew what I was "looking" for). To my nose it was a bit more held back and less sharp than in Javari, but still quite dominant and for me, still just as sickening, if not more so. Actually I already feel a bit dizzy and nauseous and I've been wearing it on my hand for less than 40 minutes.

    And I don't think it's the black pepper. I smell this in both Endymion (which I love) and in Paul Smith Extreme (which is at least ok). So what could it be?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Javari, what am I smelling?

    I know exactly what you mean. There has always been a note in Le male that has but me off. It's a kind of metallic tang that also smells of decay. It gives me a headache every time I'm around it. I thought at first it was some combo of anise and something else but I'm told there is no anise in Le Male. Maybe the combo of cedar and something else in the base (Maybe Vanilla?) I don't know but when I tried Javari I had the same instant reaction that i do to Le Male just less pronounced.
    Does anyone know what notes they have in common?
    m

  6. #6

    Default Re: Javari, what am I smelling?

    Quote Originally Posted by marczilla
    I know exactly what you mean. There has always been a note in Le male that has but me off. It's a kind of metallic tang that also smells of decay. It gives me a headache every time I'm around it. I thought at first it was some combo of anise and something else but I'm told there is no anise in Le Male. Maybe the combo of cedar and something else in the base (Maybe Vanilla?) I don't know but when I tried Javari I had the same instant reaction that i do to Le Male just less pronounced.
    Does anyone know what notes they have in common?
    m
    To me it smells more chemical than metallic, but I get what you mean and I think we're talking about the exact same thing. It would be nice to know exactly what this is...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Javari, what am I smelling?

    I had a thought that it might be ginger. Or maybe some effect of the fixatives they use?
    m

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Javari, what am I smelling?

    I'm wearing Javari today, about 4 sprays.

    It's less "in-your-face" than Le Male. More subtle, more to my liking.

    I have meetings today and believe me, I won't be offending anyone with Javari.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Javari, what am I smelling?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW
    I'm wearing Javari today, about 4 sprays.

    It's less "in-your-face" than Le Male. More subtle, more to my liking.

    I have meetings today and believe me, I won't be offending anyone with Javari.
    Neither do I think you will. I'm sorry if my posts came across as Javari/Le MÔle-bashing, as they certainly weren't intended to. It just seems that there is something in both these perfumes that I'm very sensitive to. So sensitive that I start to feel sick very quickly while being around it and also unable to smell any other notes in the mix. I mean, people describe Le MÔle as a very sweet scent with lots of vanilla. I don't get any vanilla from it, at all. Just this, for me, sickening note. Same goes for Javari I'm afraid. I just threw the question out there to try to find out what might be causing this, for my own reference. Nothing else.

  10. #10
    rach2jlc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    US (KY) & Japan
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Javari, what am I smelling?

    I wonder if it might be tonka bean? When I first started getting serious about finding WHY I liked certain scents and didn't like others, I started noticing a few things in common. One of these was tonka bean. For some reason, if a fragrance has lots of tonka in it, it often turns me off. But, marczilla's earlier mention of something "vanilla-like" in the base made me think of tonka bean... it's sort of like vanilla... but not quite.

    Anyway, I'm not sure if this is what you're smelling, but tonka is one I'm sensitive to.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Javari, what am I smelling?

    No need to apologize. I wasn't really trying to repsond to any statement you made; I wasn't offended at all. I'm sorry if I came across as being defensive.

    I'm not a Javari apologist at all. This is just the second time I've worn it. So far I'm digging it.

    The one that makes me sick is Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Javari, what am I smelling?

    Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    I wonder if it might be tonka bean? When I first started getting serious about finding WHY I liked certain scents and didn't like others, I started noticing a few things in common. One of these was tonka bean. For some reason, if a fragrance has lots of tonka in it, it often turns me off. But, marczilla's earlier mention of something "vanilla-like" in the base made me think of tonka bean... it's sort of like vanilla... but not quite.

    Anyway, I'm not sure if this is what you're smelling, but tonka is one I'm sensitive to.
    Maybe, but I'm not sure. I don't have any problems with either A*Men or Creed's Original Santal, which both are listed as containing tonka beans. It's worth remembering though.

    And as for Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin, I don't care much for it either, but then again, I'm no fan of anise.

  13. #13
    rach2jlc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    US (KY) & Japan
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Javari, what am I smelling?

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardK
    Maybe, but I'm not sure. I don't have any problems with either A*Men or Creed's Original Santal, which both are listed as containing tonka beans. It's worth remembering though.

    And as for Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin, I don't care much for it either, but then again, I'm no fan of anise.
    I don't have a problem with ALL tonka, either... but some scents have it more pronounced than others. A*Men and Original Santal don't bother me all that much, either (I didn't like the Santal at all, but it wasn't because of any known Tonka note). Anyway, as you said, it's something just to keep in mind...
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 4th January 2007 at 06:19 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

  14. #14

    Default Re: Javari, what am I smelling?

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardK
    Maybe, but I'm not sure. I don't have any problems with either A*Men or Creed's Original Santal, which both are listed as containing tonka beans. It's worth remembering though.

    And as for Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin, I don't care much for it either, but then again, I'm no fan of anise.
    To see if tonka is the ingredient, you might want to check if Armani Code, Chanel Allure Homme and Burberry Brit are repelling to you. These three have a very prominent tonka imho.

  15. #15
    rach2jlc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    US (KY) & Japan
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Javari, what am I smelling?

    Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja
    To see if tonka is the ingredient, you might want to check if Armani Code, Chanel Allure Homme and Burberry Brit are repelling to you. These three have a very prominent tonka imho.
    Agreed... all three of those leave me turning away.

    Is there tonka in Givenchy Pi? I've never owned a bottle and remember being COMPLETELY turned off when I smelled it on a friend. The only other element in it that I could distinguish as being one I'm not crazy about is Benzoin.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 4th January 2007 at 06:29 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

  16. #16

    Default Re: Javari, what am I smelling?

    Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja
    To see if tonka is the ingredient, you might want to check if Armani Code, Chanel Allure Homme and Burberry Brit are repelling to you. These three have a very prominent tonka imho.
    I'll try this. Thanks.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Javari, what am I smelling?

    Javari is on sale at Body Shop now for 8$...Get one while they last. It is being shelved.

Similar Threads

  1. smelling strips
    By pg in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 7th February 2014, 09:00 PM
  2. Smelling Techniques: Guide & Summary
    By LGV in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11th May 2013, 07:49 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 27th January 2008, 10:44 AM
  4. What "AM" I smelling?
    By nearfantastica in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28th January 2007, 07:17 AM
  5. Bvlgari line....what am I smelling???
    By Carribeanblue79 in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11th March 2006, 07:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •