Code of Conduct

Default Using Scents as Motivational Rewards!

Bond No. 9 West Side Story. I'm looking at this scent as a possible incentive for reaching a weight loss goal. I know, kinda goofy, but motivational tricks work for me.

I am thinking about rewarding myself at 10 pound increments along the way. I need to drop about 40 lbs, in all honesty. I'm 6'1, and I am currently 228.6.
    This is not an all-time high for me. I weighed in at 258 about 6 years ago. I have battled weight all my life. I'll be 40 this year (in August), so I'd like to get this done.

So I need to be thinking about my incentives!

Some possibilities:
    Bond No. 9 West Side Story
    YSL L'Homme
    Jean Pascal (Homme or Quimbaya)
    Currently wearing: Fantastic Oud by Montale

Default Re: Using Scents as Motivational Rewards!

Go for it! Of course you will need a total ban on purchases in between targets
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Right you are, Hirch!! Of course, swaps would be a viable option...

My wife and I signed up with Weight Watchers, so accountability is in play! I lost 3.6 lbs. this week. I'll keep slogging on toward the finish line.

Blog Entries

Good luck, Chuck! As another fat boy, I completely understand! :-)
    De gustibus non est disputandum
    Currently wearing: Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Blog Entries

This sounds like a GREAT idea! Maybe I should do this too. I'm trying to lose about 20 lbs. Good luck reaching your goal!!!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I think it is an excellent idea to reward yourself with fragrance! Hell, whatever it takes to reach your goal. DW & I both did WW two years ago and lost about 60 lbs between us in 6 months. The program really does work (you will see far better results if you can add some regular exercise).

Good luck in your endeavor!
    Paul
    “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”

~ Robert Brault

It also depends on how much muscle you are carrying. For example, Michael Vick of the Atlanta Falcons is 6'0 and 225...and hes super fast and all muscle. So a 6'1 @ 228 wouldnt be too bad, unless theres more fat than muscle.

Eitherways, good luck with the frag motivation !
    -

Definitely more fat than muscle right now. That said, when I tell people I need to lose 40, they say "no way, that's too much". I'm built like a linebacker with big shoulders, chest and triceps. I do lift, but only twice a week. My body fat % is probably around 28%. And when I look in the mirror, I see the fat.

"It's time for change!"

That's a lot of weight for one measly bottle.

My philosophy about weight loss is that it's always losing battle. Any time I've tried to lose weight I've gained more back, whether I was doing it when I was chunky/rolypoly or trying to do it to refine a more conditioned body. Better to focus on gaining lean muscle mass. Start going to the gym and with an emphasis on increasing your protein intake you can create shifts in your diet without your denying yourself stuff while, actually reshaping your body, which is what you really want, as has been pointed out. What you want to do is form habits, not to "go on a diet". And don't be looking for results, weighing yourself, measuring. Just do these things and have faith for a couple of years and beyond, and you will start getting somewhere and staying there. I mean you can look for results if you want but forget about this "in 6 weeks" bs or "in 12 weeks" that's only going to happen for people being manipulated behind the scenes with steroids and lipo! (That stuff can come later, if you want!)
    Last edited by supermarky; 4th January 2007 at 01:38 PM.

Your right on Chuck. Body Mass Index is crucial. At your height, age and percentage of body fat your weight loss goals sound correct. Funny, a lot of people mentioning Weight Watchers and the success they have. It really is a great program because it educates you on diet; portion control. I used to be the Purchasing Agent for the largest franchise group in North America before they sold back to the parent company. Best job I ever had. I fortunately never had a weight problem but am a health conscious person so I enjoyed working for such a positive minded company.
    Another thing to consider its that fragrances are fat free and zero points so they are the perfect reward.

-Greg
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Wow, great work Chuck! Congrats on the weight you've already lost. My dad will buy me a creed fragrance if I get straight A's this semester. So I am ina similiar boat to you. You're almost there. Awesome man

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    That's a lot of weight for one measly bottle.

My philosophy about weight loss is that it's always losing battle. Any time I've tried to lose weight I've gained more back, whether I was doing it when I was chunky/rolypoly or trying to do it to refine a more conditioned body. Better to focus on gaining lean muscle mass. Start going to the gym and with an emphasis on increasing your protein intake you can create shifts in your diet without your denying yourself stuff while, actually reshaping your body, which is what you really want, as has been pointed out. What you want to do is form habits, not to "go on a diet". And don't be looking for results, weighing yourself, measuring. Just do these things and have faith for a couple of years and beyond, and you will start getting somewhere and staying there. I mean you can look for results if you want but forget about this "in 6 weeks" bs or "in 12 weeks" that's only going to happen for people being manipulated behind the scenes with steroids and lipo! (That stuff can come later, if you want!)
    Leave it to SM for support and encouragement.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

My main hurdle is portion control. I eat more from stress relief than anything else. I'm a CEO, it comes with the territory.

WW is good because the points limitations, if you stick to it, will contain the portions of anything you eat. It teaches moderation. You can have anything you want if you keep your daily points under a certain maximum.

Just an update. Yesterday I reached my 10% goal. I now weigh 209, just 19 pounds away from my goal of 190. My 40th Birthday is on August 30, so I have 3 1/2 months to get there! My all-time high was 258 lbs.

When I hit 199 on the WW scales, I will reward myself with bottle of Creed Virgin Island Water! I'm trying to get there by the first week of June. I've had little reward incentives along the way (215 was an Odyssey Putter).

I'm lifting 2 to 3 times per week, and running about 5 to 6 days per week.

I've been buying scents the whole time, though. So much for that strategy! I guess I'm more addicted to scents than food!

Awesome Chuck, glad to hear it's working out well!!

Decide which one you want most and save that for your 4th increment--so biggest reward comes at the end--keep the incentives up: since the last ten may be hardest to lose, make that reward the biggest. If you keep all the weight off for 6 months you get two more. Best of luck!

Its a fantatic Idea!
    I may well use it myself.
    Go a month smoke free and buy a bottle of BdP

Fragrances as rewards? Great idea in general. And congratulations on your success so far (in not being at your max ever to start, and on the progress since then.)

I will add that some people are not good at delaying gratification, and so the reward thing has never worked very well for me. The feeling better is good though, and the habits that make you get in better shape (as opposed to 'diets') can sometimes stick.

Good luck, hope to hear more positive updates in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    It also depends on how much muscle you are carrying. For example, Michael Vick of the Atlanta Falcons is 6'0 and 225...and hes super fast and all muscle. So a 6'1 @ 228 wouldnt be too bad, unless theres more fat than muscle.

Eitherways, good luck with the frag motivation !
    While it does matter how much of it is fat, as opposed to muscle, that is only up to a point. The stress on joints, and organs (your heart in particular) is there no matter what the weight is composed of. So, yes, BMI isn't everything. But being big is hard on your body, always - the degree varies, not the fact.

The idea of incremental graduated rewards is what I'm using now.

My next reward at 204 is New Balance running shoes (they'll help me the rest of the way!).

At 199 I get the Creed Virgin Island Water.

At 194 I get a Nike Sasquatch Driver.

And at my goal of 189 I get 4 new suits!! Will I still be a 42 Long? We'll see!!

Fantastiac work, Chuck. I've gotten running again and look at fragrances as a reward in a different way. If I run in the evenings I take a shower and put on a notoriously beautiful yet short lived scent. Invigorating to smell great with a rarity after a run. I bought myself L'Artisan's Zeste d'Eté for these nights, and use various verbena scents as well.

With great goal accomplishment coming your way I'd say, and this is my taste talking, get yourself some rose scent. VdR or Diptyque's L'Ombre dans l'Eau. It must be a super charge to think of the four new suits though. Those will feel like more than a million bucks.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

A rose scent? Now that's interesting, and would be a complete change of pace for me. Maybe I could substitute that for the Driver!

VDR is Voleur d'Roses?

Which rose scent is the most masculine and the most mainstream? Niche scents can be dicey on me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Fantastiac work, Chuck. I've gotten running again and look at fragrances as a reward in a different way. If I run in the evenings I take a shower and put on a notoriously beautiful yet short lived scent. Invigorating to smell great with a rarity after a run. I bought myself L'Artisan's Zeste d'Eté for these nights, and use various verbena scents as well.
    That is a great idea. I tweaked my knee the other day, but hope to start running again very soon. I'll have to make this a lovely part of my ritual.
    Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    With great goal accomplishment coming your way I'd say, and this is my taste talking, get yourself some rose scent. VdR or Diptyque's L'Ombre dans l'Eau. It must be a super charge to think of the four new suits though. Those will feel like more than a million bucks.
    Not only will the suits look and feel great, they'll be a great incentive to maintain the hard work of getting there.

Lots of people's good thoughts on rose scents for men on this thread:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=169691

VdR is indeed Voleur de Roses. Another one that might go well with you is Van Clef & Arpels PH, their first scent for men.

You'll miss the driver though!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.