Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default My first trip to a perfume shoppe

Hey everyone I am very new to the site and to fragrance, but have been interested in it for a few months now. I went to an amazing shop in Clearwater,Florida called the Perfume Shoppe. It was awesome. They let me test all the brands they had that I was interested in. Also, they gave me a free decant of Creed Vetiver and my 9 year old sister Pink Sugar by Aqualina (not sure about the spelling).

Anyway after a few weeks of perusing I had a huge list of colognes I wanted to try and got to try all of them except two: Allure and M7. I ended up smelling Allure at a sephora later. M7 wasn't at Sephora or Neiman Marcus, I was sad. Anyway I've discovered that I am not picky at all, and pretty much like every scent I smelled. Here is my recap of the hour or so I spent there.

I came into the shoppe wanting to smell specifically Allure, M7, Opium, A-men, and Guerlain Vetiver. Allure had just sold out and M7 wasn't there. A-men was really sweet, but really good. B-men was better to me I thought. Opium EDT was not impressive, but Guerlain Vetiver was awesome, very different than Creed's. Creed gave me more of a lemon note, but maybe I am wrong. The only reason I didn't get Guerlain was because they only offered a 6.8 oz version.... A little much. Prices were pretty good a little higher than fragrance net.

I ended up trying Thierry Mugler, which I didn't like and Rochas which seemed too sweet, but I might be mistaking it with something else. The guy there, who owned the shop was impressed on how I pronounced Hermes and was really knowledgable and he recommend Kenzo for me, and I really liked it. My 2nd favorite cologne there. Terre d'Hermes is the best scent I have ever smelled. It makes me want to go hiking. :-D I tried to smell Drakkar Noir, but the tester was gone. The guy said it wasn't that good, I'll take his word for it for now. Oh later at Sephora I was looking for M7 fruitlessly, but only founded Body Kouros and tried to spray it, but it spilled all over my hand. I have never felt so embarrassed at a mall in my life. I smelled like cheap aftershave. Yuck.

I forgot to bring a notepad to write down my experience, I know,my mistake, but any suggestions for me would be great. BTW I am 20 and I have Hanae Mori (pretty good), Dark Blue (Boss, bad), Swiss Army (cheap smelling), and I think a Le Male but it gives me a headache. But I really recommend Terre if you guys haven't tried it yet. Give it a shot. Also, anyone in the Tampa Area, I really recommend giving The Perfume Shoppe a try. It's on the intersection of US-19 and Nebraska.

Default Re: My first trip to a perfume shoppe

crazy first excursion there...
    a free creed decant...look who's lucky
    check out my wardrobe to see what i have to suggest....but maybe Gaultir2 is a bit too sweet for your likings....
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if i mentioned this, but I bought the kenzo, really cool stuff although not especially highly rated in the directory. Hermes was too expensive, he said it was new. Amazing though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Derek, welcome to the boards. I second taking a small notepad to record your thoughts. That, or make sure to label the testers for later analysis. That's what I do, mostly ... when I don't forget my notepad!
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    Derek, welcome to the boards. I second taking a small notepad to record your thoughts. That, or make sure to label the testers for later analysis. That's what I do, mostly ... when I don't forget my notepad!
    thx, yeah i got bombarded with at least a dozen fragrances, I can't remember most of them

Quote Originally Posted by derekc4
    Hey everyone I am very new to the site and to fragrance, but have been interested in it for a few months now. Also, anyone in the Tampa Area, I really recommend giving The Perfume Shoppe a try. It's on the intersection of US-19 and Nebraska.
    Ahem, next time you are in the Tampa Area let me know and I will give you directions to my place .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky
    Ahem, next time you are in the Tampa Area let me know and I will give you directions to my place .
    lol i live here, but i go to UF, leaving tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and welcome to the boards! Going to a perfume shop is always fun. You get to test all the scents you want for free and don't even have to buy anything. It helps if you go to local shops instead of big name stores because the SA's will be a little more non-assertive and allow you to smell what you want to smell. I am glad you enjoyed yourself. Keep doing it and soon or later you will find out what scents you like and what scent you can't stand.

Quote Originally Posted by derekc4
    lol i live here, but i go to UF, leaving tomorrow
    If you want to come to my establishment call me (813) 657-6773, I am in Brandon, Florida, so it is on the way to UF if you are driving out there.

I always like to meet BN members . There is only one other BN member that I know of that lives around here, Lostboy. Unfortunately he came to my shop when I was on vacation .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"