Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Talking The Great Layering Challenge (Outline)

Open only to the Experienced, the Brave, or the terminally Jaded

The Great Basenotes Layering Challenge (GBLC) is an opportunity for fearless, open-minded individuals to explore using their perfumes with greater creativity and originality, in a warm and friendly environment. Think of it as the fragrance 101 advanced classes for the crazy. It is meant to be fun – so get ready to enjoy yourself!

Initially, the GBLC will follow the same monthly theme as the Sniff n Speak monthly event. GBLC, however, will be ongoing throughout the month, with new scents / themes chosen on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. I shall be choosing eau de toilettes and colognes that are readily available and should not drain the funds. I am hoping that participants will also take this opportunity to help each other by swapping samples / decants of the chosen scents, if necessary.

OK people, here’s the process:

I will suggest an initial perfume which fits within the current (Sniff ‘n’ Speak) month’s theme, (suggestions are also welcome), and list the main mood / notes / accords. I will then suggest some layering combinations that I think may work (participants are also encouraged to suggest / share potential combinations).

Your Challenge, should you wish to accept it, is to test run / sample a few of the suggested combos and report back with your findings:

What did you try?
    Did you like?
    Do you think it ‘works’?
    Did it illicit compliments / comments?
    Which notes dominated in the blend?
    Did it work out the way you imagined it would?
    Would you wear it again?

Example:

1)Sniff ‘n’ SpeakTheme = Oriental
    Classic perfume = Dana Tabu
    Major notes / accord = Patchouli, Amber, Cloves, Cinnamon, Orange, Orange Blossom, Civet.

Actual notes =
    Top: Bergamot oil, Coriander, Neroli, Orange, Spice Notes
    Heart: Clove Bud oil, Clover, Jasmine, Narcissus, Oriental Rose, Ylang-Ylang
    Base: Amber, Benzoin, Cedar, Civet, Moss, Musk, Patchouli, Sandal, Vetiver,

2) I am intrigued by the jasmine / narcissus pairing in the heart notes and by the woody chypre base notes accord (sandal + cedar + moss + patchouli).

Some crazy combos to try:
    Tabu + Samsara EDT
    Tabu + Mitsouko EDT
    Tabu + Samsara parfum
    Tabu + Je Reviens
    Tabu + Nemat Narcissus
    Tabu + SL A La Nuit
    Tabu + YSL Nu EDP
    Tabu + Guerlain Vetiver
    Tabu + Lush Fever massage bar (used as moisturiser / solid perfume).

3) You then pick one, two or many more combos to try over a one / two week period.
    4) You hopefully return and share you experience, thoughts and feelings with us!

It will make you see perfume and your personal perfume collection in a whole new light!

I propose that the week / fortnight run from Thursday to Thursday. That way it does not clash with the monthly Sniff ‘n’ Speak event, and those who are unable to log on over the weekend do not miss out either.

Any one brave enough to join me???
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: removed MUA references
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Great Layering Challenge (Outline)

::Watches the tumbleweed roll by in the dust::
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:18 AM. Reason: removed MUA references

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Let's start with an easy question: Does anyone out there remember/own Tabu?
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:19 AM. Reason: removed MUA references
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Eh, don't own it anymore and memory has faded.
    I'm getting old
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:19 AM. Reason: removed MUA references
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    ::Watches the tumbleweed roll by in the dust::
    Hi Moondeva! I would try this but I don't have most of these scents. Tabu is not "me." Anyway... IF I were to do this experiment I would try:

Tabu + Mitsouko EDT
    Tabu + Nemat Narcissus
    Tabu + Guerlain Vetiver

I'd go with something that might "lift" Tabu and make it lighter - bring out the colour orange. The Samsara combinations seem a little much for me. I start to think of a dark brown shade when this is suggested to me.

Let us know how it goes. :-)
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:20 AM.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    I think Tabu is very similar to L'Occitane Amber Fleur des Citsus (or whatever it's called - the new one.) Tabu is less fruity and has a dry down that's smoky.

It also has a similar "feel" to Opium, Obsession, and TBS Sandalwood Oil.

My layering today: Nemat White Musk, L'Occitane Eau de 4 Reines, L'Occitane Eau de Vaniliers. Several hours later I can only smell musk.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    Yes, I do, but I'm not a layerer. The closest I come is this:
    Say I'm wearing Tabu, but I feel like something more dirty. I will put Youth Dew on the other wrist. Brings out the civit, adds cinnamon. Or I want more patchouli, I put SMN Patchouli on the other wrist. But I don't spray one over the other. Does that count? Usually my "multi-fragrance application" happens when I'm trying samples of new fragrances with shared notes. After I decide to buy it, I wear it straight. Putting on more than one fragrance makes me sniff myself hyperactively all day, even more so than normal.

Blog Entries

The example of Dana Tabu was only being used as an example. We can begin with another common oriental like YSL Opium EDT, Lagerfeld KL, or even EL Youth Dew. I chose Tabu because I know it is extremely cheap / easily obtained and therefore easily disgarded if hated afterwards. I can also send a few samples to those who want to join in. I know that many of the perfumes may not be someone's usual choice but I believe that it can't hurt to try something completely different. You need never wear the offending perfume again. But, who knows, you may just discover a combination that is more than its parts and which blows your socks off (in a good way). I am very open to suggestions for a scent to explore. As I said it is not set in stone - yet.

The combos listed are only a few quick ideas listed to illustrate the process. I, like you purplebird7 and mysteryfemme, prefer to lighten Tabu and tend to use orange blossom to do so. My suggestion list was not exhaustive, I was hoping to inspire and to see a show of hands before truly letting loose on the crazy combo's to try.

Concerning the actually 'Layering' process:

I personally am a bit of a nihilist who will happily spritz one perfume directly over another and wait happily as they duke it out to see what results. I also tend to layer my scents by using complimentary alternative bath & body products to explore a theme. I appreciate many others are not so gung-ho in their approach to perfume.

Riannon & purplebird7, I agree that the application of different perfumes on different parts of the body (not directly over each other) is a great way of 'layering' perfumes. Since it is the 'fumes' or sillage of a perfume that we experience throughout the day there is no need to mix the scents on the skin. So the wrist / belly or wrist / wrist method of combining is completely valid! Please feel welcome to join in the madness. :bounce:

Once we have chosen the first perfume, I will begin a new thread with a list of the crazy combos and we can take it from there...
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:21 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7
    ...Putting on more than one fragrance makes me sniff myself hyperactively all day, even more so than normal.
    And this is a bad thing, why?

Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:21 AM.

Oh I see what you mean now. Actually if this is the case I normally layer. I never wear just one thing. I put on a scent in the morning after a shower. I brush my hair and then I decide to test a decant - so that's two scents. Mid-day I might reach into my bag and put on something from another decant or sample vial. That's three scents. When I get home I sometimes (if I'm not showering) take a bath with a drop of fragrance oil in it. If the other three scents do not wash away, that's four.

I tend to take my vials out of "storage" four or five at a time and they are usually scents that match. I have them stored in ziplock bags as "sets". So I guess I do layer. I never thought of it that way. I guess I'm gung-ho! :-)

If you don't mind, I might opt out of this project since I don't think I have enough perfumes to layer. I swapped away a lot of things or gave them to friends who didn't wear perfume but were looking for a way to explore them. :-)

But since I'm here I'll tell you how my layering went today: the musk anchored the rose and the vanilla blended into the musk so what I got was a sweet musk with a bit of green rose top notes.

On topic: Tabu would be terrific with TBS satsuma, fuzzy peach, cinnamon spice, or ananya. TBS patchouli would make it more like Youth Dew, I think. If I were making a personal blend I would use Tabu as a base and add bergamot, orange, cinnamon, and lime essential oils.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:22 AM.

Riannon & purplebird7, I agree that the application of different perfumes on different parts of the body (not directly over each other) is a great way of 'layering' perfumes. Since it is the 'fumes' or sillage of a perfume that we experience throughout the day there is no need to mix the scents on the skin. So the wrist / belly or wrist / wrist method of combining is completely valid! Please feel welcome to join in the madness. :bounce:
    As long as I can spray on different parts: count me in!! My lavender frenzy a couple of days ago was also sprayed on arms, legs, hair.....Loved the way I smelled with those lavenders from all over the world wafting like an everchanging cloud around me. I can't image what a mishmash I would have created by spraying them all over another.
    But as always...I am also in for an experiment. So as long as I have a choice I am quite willing to try an unlikely combo as well. Just for the fun of it
    And when it is horrible, well and another try.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon
    But as always...I am also in for an experiment. So as long as I have a choice I am quite willing to try an unlikely combo as well. Just for the fun of it
    And when it is horrible, well and another try.
    You have a smiley icon in a bath! That's really cute.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:23 AM.

what the hell, I'm game!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

This sounds like a fun idea since I do it anyway, it would be interesting to hear others finds. If there is something mentioned that someone does not want to buy yet, they might spray some on at a store and add it to something they already have and voila! They may end up buying it after all.

Blog Entries

YAY! :bounce:
    Thank You Ladies!!!

So... Which perfume shall we begin this momentous endeavour with?

I am thinking classic oriental (SnS theme) - complex but linear enough to blend well with other complex and simple perfumes. (Rules out Shalimar)

I am suggesting:

Dana Tabu - ambery patchouli and spice dominated
    Prada For Women - similar to Dana Tabu but sweeter, less spicy and much more patchouli
    Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles - delicious ambery sandalwood creamy drydown
    TBS Woody Sandalwood - Similar to Bal a Versailles but cloves dominate in the opening and there is a touch more patchouli in the base
    Chanel Coco - sharp classic bronzy amber oriental.

Please remember that we can do this on a bi-weekly basis so if the one you vote for isn't tried this time it may be tried the next. Other suggestions are welcome.

Moon.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:24 AM.

[QUOTE=moondeva (Rules out Shalimar)

I am suggesting:

Dana Tabu- ambery patchouli and spice dominated
    Prada For Women - similar to Dana Tabu but sweeter, less spicy and much more patchouli
    Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles - delicious ambery sandalwood creamy drydown[
    TBS Woody Sandalwood - Similar to Bal a Versailles but cloves dominate in the opening and there is a touch more patchouli in the base
    Chanel Coco - sharp classic bronzy amber oriental.[/QUOTE]

no Shalimar? Oh well....
    But how is it possible that this amber loving woman has none of the scents you are mentioning?
    Is Ambre Sultan an option?

Update: like Unstableisotope I have Samsara as well
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:24 AM.

I'll give some of them a try. I own and like Tabu, and have Mitsouko, Samsara, and some others to try.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:25 AM.

Blog Entries

Hi unstableisotope! Thank you for joining in. Guerlain Mitsouko will be a great one to explore in the chypre themed month! I shall look forward to that. Do you think it would make a good combination with a classic oriental like Dana Tabu or Guerlain Samsara?

NB: Just to clarify. We are set to choose ONE perfume from the list and then we are going to suggest combinations with other perfumes that we think would work with it and why, before becoming our very own guinea pigs and trying a few of these combinations on ourselves.

Riannon, I love Guerlain Shalimar but it is such a complex, multifaceted perfume with such a distinct and recognisable character that I think it may overwhelm most perfumes that it is combined with. I love SL Ambre Sultan too. I know it is an oriental too but I was hoping we would explore SL Ambre Sultan during the next SnS Amber month as it is such a distinct Amber.

OK, I am still eager to explore Dana Tabu, but am also intrigued by the possibilities that Guerlain Samsara presents. We could begin with those two.

Classic perfume = Dana Tabu
    Major notes / accord = Patchouli, Amber, Cloves, Cinnamon, Orange, Orange Blossom, Civet.

Actual notes =
    Top: Bergamot oil, Coriander, Neroli, Orange, Spice Notes
    Heart: Clove Bud oil, Clover, Jasmine, Narcissus, Oriental Rose, Ylang-Ylang
    Base: Amber, Benzoin, Cedar, Civet, Moss, Musk, Patchouli, Sandal, Vetiver,

My crazy combos for Dana Tabu include:

Dana Tabu + SL Rahat Loukhoum
    Dana Tabu + Jo Malone Nectarine Blossom & Honey
    Dana Tabu + Rochas Lumiere
    Dana Tabu + Guerlain Terracotta Voile D'Ete
    Dana Tabu + TBS Neroli Jasmine
    Dana Tabu + Guerlain AA Winter Delice
    Dana Tabu + SL Arabie
    Dana Tabu + Guerlain Samsara

Dana Tabu + TBS Satsuma
    Dana Tabu + Guerlain Mitsouko
    Dana Tabu + SL Ambre Sultan
    Dana Tabu + Ava Luxe Wild Black Fig
    Dana Tabu + Worth Je Reviens

Dana Tabu + Caron Poivre
    Dana Tabu + Nemat Narcissus
    Dana Tabu + SL A La Nuit
    Dana Tabu + YSL Nu EDP

Dana Tabu + TBS Dewberry
    Dana Tabu + Guerlain Vetiver
    Dana Tabu + Lush Fever massage bar (used as moisturiser / solid perfume)

Dana Tabu + Fendi Uomo
    Dana Tabu + CDG Wood Coffee
    Dana Tabu + Lush Soft Coeur massage bar
    Dana Tabu + Gucci pour Homme
    Dana Tabu + Davidoff Goodlife Woman
    Dana Tabu + Gucci Envy pour Homme
    Dana Tabu + Dior Homme
    Dana Tabu + Guerlain Shalimar (in honour of Riannon )
    Dana Tabu + TBS Vanilla Spice (or any other rich vanilla)
    Dana Tabu + Annick Goutal Eau D'Hadrien
    Dana Tabu + Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir
    Dana Tabu + CSP Amour de Cacao
    Dana Tabu + Kiehls Musk Original #1
    Dana Tabu + YSL Opium pour elle
    Dana Tabu + D&G Feminine
    Dana Tabu + Givenchy Amarige

Classic perfume = Guerlain Samsara
    Major notes / accord = Sandalwood, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Iris, Vanilla, Amber.

Actual notes =
    Top: Bergamot oil, Lemon, Peach, Tarragon

Heart: Jasmine, Rose, Orris, Ylang-Ylang, Carnation,
    Base: Sandal, Vanilla, Amber, Musk, Patchouli, Tonka Bean

My crazy combos for Guerlain Samsara include:

Guerlain Samsara + Dior Homme
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Pink Pepper
    Guerlain Samsara + Hiris
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Fuzzy Peach
    Guerlain Samsara + SL A La Nuit
    Guerlain Samsara + L'Artisan Voleur de Roses
    Guerlain Samsara + Guerlain Shalimar (in double honour of Riannon )
    Guerlain Samsara + Annick Goutal Songes
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Woody Sandalwood
    Guerlain Samsara + Guerlain Terracotta Voile D'Ete
    Guerlain Samsara + Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir
    Guerlain Samsara + Dior Eau Sauvage
    Guerlain Samsara + Gucci Envy for Men
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Cinnamon Spice
    Guerlain Samsara + Ava Luxe Film Noir
    Guerlain Samsara + Fendi Uomo
    Guerlain Samsara + Jo Malone Orange Blossom
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Neroli Jasmine
    Guerlain Samsara + Chopard Casmir
    Guerlain Samsara + LV Piper Nigrum
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Strawberry

*phew*

Shall we go with those two then? I will start a new thread including only the details and crazy combos for the two perfumes and we can begin to play...:bounce:

Other suggestions are always welcome! And remember this is FUN - not homework.
    Last edited by moondeva; 5th January 2007 at 01:23 PM.

Um, hard choice. I vote for Prada. Reasons: It is new. It is available. It is mild enough to take a few hits without fighting back. Plus, look at all those notes to work with: bergamot, bitter orange, mandarin, mimosa, rose, patchouli, labdanum, tonka, vanilla, sandalwood, benzoin. Plenty of sweet base, not too many flowers to clash with, and only a few citrusy top notes.

Classic perfume = Guerlain Samsara
    Major notes / accord = Sandalwood, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Iris, Vanilla, Amber.

Actual notes =
    Top: Bergamot oil, Lemon, Peach, Tarragon

Heart: Jasmine, Rose, Orris, Ylang-Ylang, Carnation,
    Base: Sandal, Vanilla, Amber, Musk, Patchouli, Tonka Bean

My crazy combos for Guerlain Samsara include:

Guerlain Samsara + Dior Homme
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Pink Pepper
    Guerlain Samsara + Hiris
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Fuzzy Peach
    Guerlain Samsara + SL A La Nuit
    Guerlain Samsara + L'Artisan Voleur de Roses
    Guerlain Samsara + Guerlain Shalimar (in double honour of Riannon )
    Guerlain Samsara + Annick Goutal Songes
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Woody Sandalwood
    Guerlain Samsara + Guerlain Terracotta Voile D'Ete
    Guerlain Samsara + Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir
    Guerlain Samsara + Dior Eau Sauvage
    Guerlain Samsara + Gucci Envy for Men
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Cinnamon Spice
    Guerlain Samsara + Ava Luxe Film Noir
    Guerlain Samsara + Fendi Uomo
    Guerlain Samsara + Jo Malone Orange Blossom
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Neroli Jasmine
    Guerlain Samsara + Chopard Casmir
    Guerlain Samsara + LV Piper Nigrum
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Strawberry

*phew*

Shall we go with those two then? I will start a new thread including only the details and crazy combos for the two perfumes and we can begin to play...:bounce:

Other suggestions are always welcome! And remember this is FUN - not homework.
    YES!YES!, thank you Deva-Dearest, and may the Moon always shine bright on you

I go for the:
    Samsara + Shalimar
    Samsara + Ava Luxe Film Noir

and maybe Samsara + Tam Dao/Samsara + Sandalwood Verte (Fresh Index)/Samsara + Ambre Cannelle (Creed)....if you can live with those choices of course.
    It is your party and I'm not going to interfere too much

Just happy to join!! YAY, fun time and Long Live Layering :toppie:

Me thinks you layering people have good noses and alot of creativity, so why don't you get into the DIY side of perfume? It is the logical next step. Already you are working with completely formulated building blocks, and this is hard way to construct perfumes. You would have an easier time working with basic notes. I would recommend buying a starter palate of your favorite notes, making sure to include both naturals and synthetics. Then start mixing, dear friends. You may have more talent than you imagine.

JUST found this thread and I WANNA PLAY! (I know it's too late but would have loved to have played with Tabu. Have got the new dumbed down Shorell version - anyone know where you can get the original? Is it even worth trying?

Anyway, lay on MoonDeva! This faithful soldier will follow you ANYWHERE!! (Grabs up tattered battle flag and lurches into fray...)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady
    JUST found this thread and I WANNA PLAY! (I know it's too late but would have loved to have played with Tabu. Have got the new dumbed down Shorell version - anyone know where you can get the original? Is it even worth trying?

Anyway, lay on MoonDeva! This faithful soldier will follow you ANYWHERE!! (Grabs up tattered battle flag and lurches into fray...)
    No, No No, darlink (said in best Zsa Zsa Gabor accent) a lady is NEVER too late! How can you be when you are totally worth waiting for???

Flattery aside, Taolady, you are very welcome to join in as I haven't launched the first thread yet. I was hoping for more of a clear 'yay or nay' from peeps as to whether we should begin with two scents (since we are starting late this month). I specifically am proposing we begin with Dana Tabu and Guerlain Samsara as they are both great classic orientals which are linear enough to allow successful layering.

I was also waiting until this month's main SnS event was over so that folks did not feel overwhelmed or conflicted as to which event to participate in. So now we can get this party started!!

I am surprised that you don't have access to the original Dana Tabu, as in the UK we can still get this from chemists / drugstores and cheap online etailers for as little as $16 for 100ml / 3.4oz of the cologne. The cologne is so strong that it lasts as long as, and weighs in at EDP strength.

I would still love to own a bottle of Dana Tabu parfum at some point. I like to live dangerously when it comes to my perfumes...

I have never tried the Irma Shorell version so cannot comment on its worth but I can vouch for the beauty that is the original Tabu. I don't understand how it is so disrespected when smelling it reveals the core inspiration behind other oriental classics such as YSL Opium, Estee Youth Dew, Estee Cinnabar, even the much loved modern Prada!

Riannon thanks for your vote for Samsara. I will definitely be including your crazy combination suggestions in the main listings when I post it later. They all sound great! Sadly, I do not have access to samples of the perfumes you have listed, for me to actually try - I shall be making a note and hope to be able to obtain samples so that I can do so in the future.

Ladies, are we happy to begin with Dana Tabu and / or Guerlain Samsara as our first set of orientals crazy combos inspirations? Remember we have all month to play and at one week with these two in particular. (We can pick one or two others for the later half of the month before the next SnS event).

Uhmm, happy to begin???
    *shuffles with feet*

Already started a sneaky preview (yes, yes, had enough of my SotD, sorry)

Tam Dao was involved and for the rest I will keep my mouth shut till the time is there.
    Except :bounce:
    Happy!!!

Ladies, are we happy to begin with Dana Tabu and / or Guerlain Samsara as our first set of orientals crazy combos inspirations? Remember we have all month to play and at one week with these two in particular. (We can pick one or two others for the later half of the month before the next SnS event).
    Into the breach!!...even though sniffer is not at 100% (Bad code!) :bounce:

(Begins frantic search for Tabu - realizes it is not Tabu but My Sin that is Shorell. Feels real stupid.)

(Wonders if trip to drugstore to pick up Sunday New York Times will yield Samsara. Sincerely hopes so. LOVES Samsara)

(Wonders if can handle trip to drugstore.)

Later: Bravely handled! Acquired Tabu. Whatta frag!! Don't tell the rest of the world about this much-maligned beauty - sultry, honeyed patchouli and amber....GOH-JUSSS!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 7th January 2007 at 07:34 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I have neither scent in my wardrobe, but if neither are too expensive I would be willing to seek one out...maybe the Tabu. or maybe the Samsara.
    ???
    in any case, sure, count me in. I do have some of the scents you suggest to layer with these frags, so I am more than halfway there.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I don't know how someone gets a Sticky, but I hope this thread does because it will be easier to find. Tabu is one of the least expensive fragrances in the US. Why? I don't know. But if it is a matter of money, one could spray some on in a department store. I happen to have Samsara, but it is a little more pricey than Tabu.

I'm ready to go... I have access to both the frags mentioned and have been sneakily contemplating ways to layer them.

Tabu is easy to find at drugstores and is extremely inexpensive. I paid $14 for a box which contained the 3.3 oz EdC, the shower gel, and the body lotion, which means that I spent about $4.50 on the perfume itself. I'd recommend it for the challenge, because it isn't really a big risk; if you don't like it (and many people don't) you can toss it with no regrets. However, I think that posters with daring tastes and an appreciation for vintage scents will really enjoy it. In my experience, it smells like Nag Champa incense, patchouli, and cinnamon, and is a bit dry and hard-edged, but ultimately comforting.
    Last edited by djuna; 7th January 2007 at 08:46 PM.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

OK, off with the Eau Cuivree and on with the TABU....

Left arm: TABU + Bourbon French Olive Blossom (this mellows the tabu and gives the Olive Blossom the warmth it lacks) (I'm starting to really like this one)

Right Arm: TABU + Bandit = Bandit...I knew it would overwhelm the Tabu (update..yep, all I get is bandit)
    Last edited by Zibeline; 7th January 2007 at 08:24 PM.

OK, I'm in -- just nabbed 15 ml of Tabu for $3.50 USD, including shipping (for anyone else who is interested,there is plenty of under-$10 Tabu on eBay, including gift sets, and FragranceNet and FragranceX both have 50 ml for under $8 USD). I also have plenty of Samsara EDT on hand, which I've already been wearing layered with 10 Corso Como (Sandalwood + Oud = mmmmm).
    Last edited by coumarin; 7th January 2007 at 09:09 PM.