Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Talking The Great Layering Challenge (Outline)

Open only to the Experienced, the Brave, or the terminally Jaded

The Great Basenotes Layering Challenge (GBLC) is an opportunity for fearless, open-minded individuals to explore using their perfumes with greater creativity and originality, in a warm and friendly environment. Think of it as the fragrance 101 advanced classes for the crazy. It is meant to be fun – so get ready to enjoy yourself!

Initially, the GBLC will follow the same monthly theme as the Sniff n Speak monthly event. GBLC, however, will be ongoing throughout the month, with new scents / themes chosen on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. I shall be choosing eau de toilettes and colognes that are readily available and should not drain the funds. I am hoping that participants will also take this opportunity to help each other by swapping samples / decants of the chosen scents, if necessary.

OK people, here’s the process:

I will suggest an initial perfume which fits within the current (Sniff ‘n’ Speak) month’s theme, (suggestions are also welcome), and list the main mood / notes / accords. I will then suggest some layering combinations that I think may work (participants are also encouraged to suggest / share potential combinations).

Your Challenge, should you wish to accept it, is to test run / sample a few of the suggested combos and report back with your findings:

What did you try?
    Did you like?
    Do you think it ‘works’?
    Did it illicit compliments / comments?
    Which notes dominated in the blend?
    Did it work out the way you imagined it would?
    Would you wear it again?

Example:

1)Sniff ‘n’ SpeakTheme = Oriental
    Classic perfume = Dana Tabu
    Major notes / accord = Patchouli, Amber, Cloves, Cinnamon, Orange, Orange Blossom, Civet.

Actual notes =
    Top: Bergamot oil, Coriander, Neroli, Orange, Spice Notes
    Heart: Clove Bud oil, Clover, Jasmine, Narcissus, Oriental Rose, Ylang-Ylang
    Base: Amber, Benzoin, Cedar, Civet, Moss, Musk, Patchouli, Sandal, Vetiver,

2) I am intrigued by the jasmine / narcissus pairing in the heart notes and by the woody chypre base notes accord (sandal + cedar + moss + patchouli).

Some crazy combos to try:
    Tabu + Samsara EDT
    Tabu + Mitsouko EDT
    Tabu + Samsara parfum
    Tabu + Je Reviens
    Tabu + Nemat Narcissus
    Tabu + SL A La Nuit
    Tabu + YSL Nu EDP
    Tabu + Guerlain Vetiver
    Tabu + Lush Fever massage bar (used as moisturiser / solid perfume).

3) You then pick one, two or many more combos to try over a one / two week period.
    4) You hopefully return and share you experience, thoughts and feelings with us!

It will make you see perfume and your personal perfume collection in a whole new light!

I propose that the week / fortnight run from Thursday to Thursday. That way it does not clash with the monthly Sniff ‘n’ Speak event, and those who are unable to log on over the weekend do not miss out either.

Any one brave enough to join me???
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:17 AM. Reason: removed MUA references
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Great Layering Challenge (Outline)

::Watches the tumbleweed roll by in the dust::
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:18 AM. Reason: removed MUA references

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Let's start with an easy question: Does anyone out there remember/own Tabu?
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:19 AM. Reason: removed MUA references
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Eh, don't own it anymore and memory has faded.
    I'm getting old
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:19 AM. Reason: removed MUA references
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    ::Watches the tumbleweed roll by in the dust::
    Hi Moondeva! I would try this but I don't have most of these scents. Tabu is not "me." Anyway... IF I were to do this experiment I would try:

Tabu + Mitsouko EDT
    Tabu + Nemat Narcissus
    Tabu + Guerlain Vetiver

I'd go with something that might "lift" Tabu and make it lighter - bring out the colour orange. The Samsara combinations seem a little much for me. I start to think of a dark brown shade when this is suggested to me.

Let us know how it goes. :-)
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:20 AM.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    I think Tabu is very similar to L'Occitane Amber Fleur des Citsus (or whatever it's called - the new one.) Tabu is less fruity and has a dry down that's smoky.

It also has a similar "feel" to Opium, Obsession, and TBS Sandalwood Oil.

My layering today: Nemat White Musk, L'Occitane Eau de 4 Reines, L'Occitane Eau de Vaniliers. Several hours later I can only smell musk.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    Yes, I do, but I'm not a layerer. The closest I come is this:
    Say I'm wearing Tabu, but I feel like something more dirty. I will put Youth Dew on the other wrist. Brings out the civit, adds cinnamon. Or I want more patchouli, I put SMN Patchouli on the other wrist. But I don't spray one over the other. Does that count? Usually my "multi-fragrance application" happens when I'm trying samples of new fragrances with shared notes. After I decide to buy it, I wear it straight. Putting on more than one fragrance makes me sniff myself hyperactively all day, even more so than normal.

Blog Entries

The example of Dana Tabu was only being used as an example. We can begin with another common oriental like YSL Opium EDT, Lagerfeld KL, or even EL Youth Dew. I chose Tabu because I know it is extremely cheap / easily obtained and therefore easily disgarded if hated afterwards. I can also send a few samples to those who want to join in. I know that many of the perfumes may not be someone's usual choice but I believe that it can't hurt to try something completely different. You need never wear the offending perfume again. But, who knows, you may just discover a combination that is more than its parts and which blows your socks off (in a good way). I am very open to suggestions for a scent to explore. As I said it is not set in stone - yet.

The combos listed are only a few quick ideas listed to illustrate the process. I, like you purplebird7 and mysteryfemme, prefer to lighten Tabu and tend to use orange blossom to do so. My suggestion list was not exhaustive, I was hoping to inspire and to see a show of hands before truly letting loose on the crazy combo's to try.

Concerning the actually 'Layering' process:

I personally am a bit of a nihilist who will happily spritz one perfume directly over another and wait happily as they duke it out to see what results. I also tend to layer my scents by using complimentary alternative bath & body products to explore a theme. I appreciate many others are not so gung-ho in their approach to perfume.

Riannon & purplebird7, I agree that the application of different perfumes on different parts of the body (not directly over each other) is a great way of 'layering' perfumes. Since it is the 'fumes' or sillage of a perfume that we experience throughout the day there is no need to mix the scents on the skin. So the wrist / belly or wrist / wrist method of combining is completely valid! Please feel welcome to join in the madness. :bounce:

Once we have chosen the first perfume, I will begin a new thread with a list of the crazy combos and we can take it from there...
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:21 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7
    ...Putting on more than one fragrance makes me sniff myself hyperactively all day, even more so than normal.
    And this is a bad thing, why?

Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:21 AM.

Oh I see what you mean now. Actually if this is the case I normally layer. I never wear just one thing. I put on a scent in the morning after a shower. I brush my hair and then I decide to test a decant - so that's two scents. Mid-day I might reach into my bag and put on something from another decant or sample vial. That's three scents. When I get home I sometimes (if I'm not showering) take a bath with a drop of fragrance oil in it. If the other three scents do not wash away, that's four.

I tend to take my vials out of "storage" four or five at a time and they are usually scents that match. I have them stored in ziplock bags as "sets". So I guess I do layer. I never thought of it that way. I guess I'm gung-ho! :-)

If you don't mind, I might opt out of this project since I don't think I have enough perfumes to layer. I swapped away a lot of things or gave them to friends who didn't wear perfume but were looking for a way to explore them. :-)

But since I'm here I'll tell you how my layering went today: the musk anchored the rose and the vanilla blended into the musk so what I got was a sweet musk with a bit of green rose top notes.

On topic: Tabu would be terrific with TBS satsuma, fuzzy peach, cinnamon spice, or ananya. TBS patchouli would make it more like Youth Dew, I think. If I were making a personal blend I would use Tabu as a base and add bergamot, orange, cinnamon, and lime essential oils.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:22 AM.

Riannon & purplebird7, I agree that the application of different perfumes on different parts of the body (not directly over each other) is a great way of 'layering' perfumes. Since it is the 'fumes' or sillage of a perfume that we experience throughout the day there is no need to mix the scents on the skin. So the wrist / belly or wrist / wrist method of combining is completely valid! Please feel welcome to join in the madness. :bounce:
    As long as I can spray on different parts: count me in!! My lavender frenzy a couple of days ago was also sprayed on arms, legs, hair.....Loved the way I smelled with those lavenders from all over the world wafting like an everchanging cloud around me. I can't image what a mishmash I would have created by spraying them all over another.
    But as always...I am also in for an experiment. So as long as I have a choice I am quite willing to try an unlikely combo as well. Just for the fun of it
    And when it is horrible, well and another try.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon
    But as always...I am also in for an experiment. So as long as I have a choice I am quite willing to try an unlikely combo as well. Just for the fun of it
    And when it is horrible, well and another try.
    You have a smiley icon in a bath! That's really cute.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:23 AM.

what the hell, I'm game!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

This sounds like a fun idea since I do it anyway, it would be interesting to hear others finds. If there is something mentioned that someone does not want to buy yet, they might spray some on at a store and add it to something they already have and voila! They may end up buying it after all.

Blog Entries

YAY! :bounce:
    Thank You Ladies!!!

So... Which perfume shall we begin this momentous endeavour with?

I am thinking classic oriental (SnS theme) - complex but linear enough to blend well with other complex and simple perfumes. (Rules out Shalimar)

I am suggesting:

Dana Tabu - ambery patchouli and spice dominated
    Prada For Women - similar to Dana Tabu but sweeter, less spicy and much more patchouli
    Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles - delicious ambery sandalwood creamy drydown
    TBS Woody Sandalwood - Similar to Bal a Versailles but cloves dominate in the opening and there is a touch more patchouli in the base
    Chanel Coco - sharp classic bronzy amber oriental.

Please remember that we can do this on a bi-weekly basis so if the one you vote for isn't tried this time it may be tried the next. Other suggestions are welcome.

Moon.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:24 AM.

[QUOTE=moondeva (Rules out Shalimar)

I am suggesting:

Dana Tabu- ambery patchouli and spice dominated
    Prada For Women - similar to Dana Tabu but sweeter, less spicy and much more patchouli
    Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles - delicious ambery sandalwood creamy drydown[
    TBS Woody Sandalwood - Similar to Bal a Versailles but cloves dominate in the opening and there is a touch more patchouli in the base
    Chanel Coco - sharp classic bronzy amber oriental.[/QUOTE]

no Shalimar? Oh well....
    But how is it possible that this amber loving woman has none of the scents you are mentioning?
    Is Ambre Sultan an option?

Update: like Unstableisotope I have Samsara as well
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:24 AM.

I'll give some of them a try. I own and like Tabu, and have Mitsouko, Samsara, and some others to try.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 5th January 2007 at 11:25 AM.

Blog Entries

Hi unstableisotope! Thank you for joining in. Guerlain Mitsouko will be a great one to explore in the chypre themed month! I shall look forward to that. Do you think it would make a good combination with a classic oriental like Dana Tabu or Guerlain Samsara?

NB: Just to clarify. We are set to choose ONE perfume from the list and then we are going to suggest combinations with other perfumes that we think would work with it and why, before becoming our very own guinea pigs and trying a few of these combinations on ourselves.

Riannon, I love Guerlain Shalimar but it is such a complex, multifaceted perfume with such a distinct and recognisable character that I think it may overwhelm most perfumes that it is combined with. I love SL Ambre Sultan too. I know it is an oriental too but I was hoping we would explore SL Ambre Sultan during the next SnS Amber month as it is such a distinct Amber.

OK, I am still eager to explore Dana Tabu, but am also intrigued by the possibilities that Guerlain Samsara presents. We could begin with those two.

Classic perfume = Dana Tabu
    Major notes / accord = Patchouli, Amber, Cloves, Cinnamon, Orange, Orange Blossom, Civet.

Actual notes =
    Top: Bergamot oil, Coriander, Neroli, Orange, Spice Notes
    Heart: Clove Bud oil, Clover, Jasmine, Narcissus, Oriental Rose, Ylang-Ylang
    Base: Amber, Benzoin, Cedar, Civet, Moss, Musk, Patchouli, Sandal, Vetiver,

My crazy combos for Dana Tabu include:

Dana Tabu + SL Rahat Loukhoum
    Dana Tabu + Jo Malone Nectarine Blossom & Honey
    Dana Tabu + Rochas Lumiere
    Dana Tabu + Guerlain Terracotta Voile D'Ete
    Dana Tabu + TBS Neroli Jasmine
    Dana Tabu + Guerlain AA Winter Delice
    Dana Tabu + SL Arabie
    Dana Tabu + Guerlain Samsara

Dana Tabu + TBS Satsuma
    Dana Tabu + Guerlain Mitsouko
    Dana Tabu + SL Ambre Sultan
    Dana Tabu + Ava Luxe Wild Black Fig
    Dana Tabu + Worth Je Reviens

Dana Tabu + Caron Poivre
    Dana Tabu + Nemat Narcissus
    Dana Tabu + SL A La Nuit
    Dana Tabu + YSL Nu EDP

Dana Tabu + TBS Dewberry
    Dana Tabu + Guerlain Vetiver
    Dana Tabu + Lush Fever massage bar (used as moisturiser / solid perfume)

Dana Tabu + Fendi Uomo
    Dana Tabu + CDG Wood Coffee
    Dana Tabu + Lush Soft Coeur massage bar
    Dana Tabu + Gucci pour Homme
    Dana Tabu + Davidoff Goodlife Woman
    Dana Tabu + Gucci Envy pour Homme
    Dana Tabu + Dior Homme
    Dana Tabu + Guerlain Shalimar (in honour of Riannon )
    Dana Tabu + TBS Vanilla Spice (or any other rich vanilla)
    Dana Tabu + Annick Goutal Eau D'Hadrien
    Dana Tabu + Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir
    Dana Tabu + CSP Amour de Cacao
    Dana Tabu + Kiehls Musk Original #1
    Dana Tabu + YSL Opium pour elle
    Dana Tabu + D&G Feminine
    Dana Tabu + Givenchy Amarige

Classic perfume = Guerlain Samsara
    Major notes / accord = Sandalwood, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Iris, Vanilla, Amber.

Actual notes =
    Top: Bergamot oil, Lemon, Peach, Tarragon

Heart: Jasmine, Rose, Orris, Ylang-Ylang, Carnation,
    Base: Sandal, Vanilla, Amber, Musk, Patchouli, Tonka Bean

My crazy combos for Guerlain Samsara include:

Guerlain Samsara + Dior Homme
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Pink Pepper
    Guerlain Samsara + Hiris
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Fuzzy Peach
    Guerlain Samsara + SL A La Nuit
    Guerlain Samsara + L'Artisan Voleur de Roses
    Guerlain Samsara + Guerlain Shalimar (in double honour of Riannon )
    Guerlain Samsara + Annick Goutal Songes
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Woody Sandalwood
    Guerlain Samsara + Guerlain Terracotta Voile D'Ete
    Guerlain Samsara + Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir
    Guerlain Samsara + Dior Eau Sauvage
    Guerlain Samsara + Gucci Envy for Men
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Cinnamon Spice
    Guerlain Samsara + Ava Luxe Film Noir
    Guerlain Samsara + Fendi Uomo
    Guerlain Samsara + Jo Malone Orange Blossom
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Neroli Jasmine
    Guerlain Samsara + Chopard Casmir
    Guerlain Samsara + LV Piper Nigrum
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Strawberry

*phew*

Shall we go with those two then? I will start a new thread including only the details and crazy combos for the two perfumes and we can begin to play...:bounce:

Other suggestions are always welcome! And remember this is FUN - not homework.
    Last edited by moondeva; 5th January 2007 at 01:23 PM.

Um, hard choice. I vote for Prada. Reasons: It is new. It is available. It is mild enough to take a few hits without fighting back. Plus, look at all those notes to work with: bergamot, bitter orange, mandarin, mimosa, rose, patchouli, labdanum, tonka, vanilla, sandalwood, benzoin. Plenty of sweet base, not too many flowers to clash with, and only a few citrusy top notes.

Classic perfume = Guerlain Samsara
    Major notes / accord = Sandalwood, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Iris, Vanilla, Amber.

Actual notes =
    Top: Bergamot oil, Lemon, Peach, Tarragon

Heart: Jasmine, Rose, Orris, Ylang-Ylang, Carnation,
    Base: Sandal, Vanilla, Amber, Musk, Patchouli, Tonka Bean

My crazy combos for Guerlain Samsara include:

Guerlain Samsara + Dior Homme
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Pink Pepper
    Guerlain Samsara + Hiris
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Fuzzy Peach
    Guerlain Samsara + SL A La Nuit
    Guerlain Samsara + L'Artisan Voleur de Roses
    Guerlain Samsara + Guerlain Shalimar (in double honour of Riannon )
    Guerlain Samsara + Annick Goutal Songes
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Woody Sandalwood
    Guerlain Samsara + Guerlain Terracotta Voile D'Ete
    Guerlain Samsara + Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir
    Guerlain Samsara + Dior Eau Sauvage
    Guerlain Samsara + Gucci Envy for Men
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Cinnamon Spice
    Guerlain Samsara + Ava Luxe Film Noir
    Guerlain Samsara + Fendi Uomo
    Guerlain Samsara + Jo Malone Orange Blossom
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Neroli Jasmine
    Guerlain Samsara + Chopard Casmir
    Guerlain Samsara + LV Piper Nigrum
    Guerlain Samsara + TBS Strawberry

*phew*

Shall we go with those two then? I will start a new thread including only the details and crazy combos for the two perfumes and we can begin to play...:bounce:

Other suggestions are always welcome! And remember this is FUN - not homework.
    YES!YES!, thank you Deva-Dearest, and may the Moon always shine bright on you

I go for the:
    Samsara + Shalimar
    Samsara + Ava Luxe Film Noir

and maybe Samsara + Tam Dao/Samsara + Sandalwood Verte (Fresh Index)/Samsara + Ambre Cannelle (Creed)....if you can live with those choices of course.
    It is your party and I'm not going to interfere too much

Just happy to join!! YAY, fun time and Long Live Layering :toppie:

Me thinks you layering people have good noses and alot of creativity, so why don't you get into the DIY side of perfume? It is the logical next step. Already you are working with completely formulated building blocks, and this is hard way to construct perfumes. You would have an easier time working with basic notes. I would recommend buying a starter palate of your favorite notes, making sure to include both naturals and synthetics. Then start mixing, dear friends. You may have more talent than you imagine.

JUST found this thread and I WANNA PLAY! (I know it's too late but would have loved to have played with Tabu. Have got the new dumbed down Shorell version - anyone know where you can get the original? Is it even worth trying?

Anyway, lay on MoonDeva! This faithful soldier will follow you ANYWHERE!! (Grabs up tattered battle flag and lurches into fray...)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady
    JUST found this thread and I WANNA PLAY! (I know it's too late but would have loved to have played with Tabu. Have got the new dumbed down Shorell version - anyone know where you can get the original? Is it even worth trying?

Anyway, lay on MoonDeva! This faithful soldier will follow you ANYWHERE!! (Grabs up tattered battle flag and lurches into fray...)
    No, No No, darlink (said in best Zsa Zsa Gabor accent) a lady is NEVER too late! How can you be when you are totally worth waiting for???

Flattery aside, Taolady, you are very welcome to join in as I haven't launched the first thread yet. I was hoping for more of a clear 'yay or nay' from peeps as to whether we should begin with two scents (since we are starting late this month). I specifically am proposing we begin with Dana Tabu and Guerlain Samsara as they are both great classic orientals which are linear enough to allow successful layering.

I was also waiting until this month's main SnS event was over so that folks did not feel overwhelmed or conflicted as to which event to participate in. So now we can get this party started!!

I am surprised that you don't have access to the original Dana Tabu, as in the UK we can still get this from chemists / drugstores and cheap online etailers for as little as $16 for 100ml / 3.4oz of the cologne. The cologne is so strong that it lasts as long as, and weighs in at EDP strength.

I would still love to own a bottle of Dana Tabu parfum at some point. I like to live dangerously when it comes to my perfumes...

I have never tried the Irma Shorell version so cannot comment on its worth but I can vouch for the beauty that is the original Tabu. I don't understand how it is so disrespected when smelling it reveals the core inspiration behind other oriental classics such as YSL Opium, Estee Youth Dew, Estee Cinnabar, even the much loved modern Prada!

Riannon thanks for your vote for Samsara. I will definitely be including your crazy combination suggestions in the main listings when I post it later. They all sound great! Sadly, I do not have access to samples of the perfumes you have listed, for me to actually try - I shall be making a note and hope to be able to obtain samples so that I can do so in the future.

Ladies, are we happy to begin with Dana Tabu and / or Guerlain Samsara as our first set of orientals crazy combos inspirations? Remember we have all month to play and at one week with these two in particular. (We can pick one or two others for the later half of the month before the next SnS event).

Uhmm, happy to begin???
    *shuffles with feet*

Already started a sneaky preview (yes, yes, had enough of my SotD, sorry)

Tam Dao was involved and for the rest I will keep my mouth shut till the time is there.
    Except :bounce:
    Happy!!!

Ladies, are we happy to begin with Dana Tabu and / or Guerlain Samsara as our first set of orientals crazy combos inspirations? Remember we have all month to play and at one week with these two in particular. (We can pick one or two others for the later half of the month before the next SnS event).
    Into the breach!!...even though sniffer is not at 100% (Bad code!) :bounce:

(Begins frantic search for Tabu - realizes it is not Tabu but My Sin that is Shorell. Feels real stupid.)

(Wonders if trip to drugstore to pick up Sunday New York Times will yield Samsara. Sincerely hopes so. LOVES Samsara)

(Wonders if can handle trip to drugstore.)

Later: Bravely handled! Acquired Tabu. Whatta frag!! Don't tell the rest of the world about this much-maligned beauty - sultry, honeyed patchouli and amber....GOH-JUSSS!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 7th January 2007 at 07:34 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I have neither scent in my wardrobe, but if neither are too expensive I would be willing to seek one out...maybe the Tabu. or maybe the Samsara.
    ???
    in any case, sure, count me in. I do have some of the scents you suggest to layer with these frags, so I am more than halfway there.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I don't know how someone gets a Sticky, but I hope this thread does because it will be easier to find. Tabu is one of the least expensive fragrances in the US. Why? I don't know. But if it is a matter of money, one could spray some on in a department store. I happen to have Samsara, but it is a little more pricey than Tabu.

I'm ready to go... I have access to both the frags mentioned and have been sneakily contemplating ways to layer them.

Tabu is easy to find at drugstores and is extremely inexpensive. I paid $14 for a box which contained the 3.3 oz EdC, the shower gel, and the body lotion, which means that I spent about $4.50 on the perfume itself. I'd recommend it for the challenge, because it isn't really a big risk; if you don't like it (and many people don't) you can toss it with no regrets. However, I think that posters with daring tastes and an appreciation for vintage scents will really enjoy it. In my experience, it smells like Nag Champa incense, patchouli, and cinnamon, and is a bit dry and hard-edged, but ultimately comforting.
    Last edited by djuna; 7th January 2007 at 08:46 PM.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

OK, off with the Eau Cuivree and on with the TABU....

Left arm: TABU + Bourbon French Olive Blossom (this mellows the tabu and gives the Olive Blossom the warmth it lacks) (I'm starting to really like this one)

Right Arm: TABU + Bandit = Bandit...I knew it would overwhelm the Tabu (update..yep, all I get is bandit)
    Last edited by Zibeline; 7th January 2007 at 08:24 PM.

OK, I'm in -- just nabbed 15 ml of Tabu for $3.50 USD, including shipping (for anyone else who is interested,there is plenty of under-$10 Tabu on eBay, including gift sets, and FragranceNet and FragranceX both have 50 ml for under $8 USD). I also have plenty of Samsara EDT on hand, which I've already been wearing layered with 10 Corso Como (Sandalwood + Oud = mmmmm).
    Last edited by coumarin; 7th January 2007 at 09:09 PM.

Blog Entries

The thread is up and the first inaugural session of the Great Layering Challenge is now officially OPEN!

Please add you discoveries and suggestions / combos to the new thread.

I am hoping that this thread can be made a sticky so that it remains visible. Votes for future perfumes and possible adjustments should be posted here.

Zibeline and courmarin: your combos sound great! Please add them to the new thread.

To make this challenge even more worthwhile (like it isn't exciting enough already ), I will update at the end of the thread with a post containing all of the 'successful' crazy combos, so that future fledgling layering fiends (and layering virgins) will have a resource of actual combinations that 'work'. Which will hopefully inspire them to continue the cause and create some of their own...

Blog Entries

Dear Tigrushka or other moderator: Could you please make this thread a sticky as it will be regularly returned to each month as the base thread for announcements in the coming months. Thank you!

We should be changing to two other orientals to explore in the last two weeks of the month (commencing the 18th of January). Do you have any particular requests / ideas?

I am currently considering YSL Nu EDP (woody oriental), Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant EDP (spicy oriental) or DK Black Cashmere (woody vanillic) and CK Obsession (ambery vanillic oriental), but am open to other suggestions.

I am inclined towards Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant EDP (spicy oriental) and CK Obsession (ambery vanillic oriental).

I know y'all are off on holiday and taking part in other activities over the next few weeks (Lutens Feast Week, etc) but feedback will be greatly appreciated.

See you all when you get back!

Blog Entries

Thanks Tigrushka!

OK, all my crazy layering fiends and those of you still to experience the extreme joy of layering, the time is swiftly approaching when we will need to pick 2 - 4 perfumes with dominate animalic notes with which to start experimenting!!!

So, below are some initial suggestions for layering candidates. Please place your votes for the 4 that you would like to explore in the next month:

Animalic perfumes (leather, castoreum, civet, musk, ambergris)

Ava Luxe Film Noir - (leather, ambergris, civet)
    Avon Occur! - (leather, castoreum, civet, musk)
    Ava Luxe Rasa - (4 x musk, ambergris, civet) If you a truly brave ask for a sample of the old formulation or for Rasa 'intense' / 'extreme'.

Nemat International Supreme Musk - (musk) In fact many of the Nemat International oils have an animalic base.
    Ava Luxe Kama - (musk, ambergris, civet) If you a truly brave ask for a sample of the old formulation or for Rasa 'intense' / 'extreme'.
    Ava Luxe Dark Chypre / Chypre Noir - (castoreum, musk, civet)
    Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan - (leather, ambergris, civet)
    TBS Japanese Musk - (musk)
    Nemat Musk Supreme - (musk)
    Dior Jules - (leather, castoreum, musk)
    Balmain Jolie Madame - (leather, castoreum, civet, musk)
    Fendi Donna - (musk, leather)
    Caron Tabac Blond - (leather, musk)
    Kiehl's Original Musk Oil #1 - (musk)
    Gres Cabochard - (musk, castoreum, leather)
    Piguet Bandit - (castoreum, civet)
    Jean Patou 1000 / Mille - (civet, musk)
    Vivienne Westwood Anglomania - (leather)
    Paco Rabanne La Nuit - (leather)
    Fendi Uomo - (castoreum, leather, musk)
    Dana Chantilly - (leather, musk)
    Houbigant Quelque Fleurs L'Original - (civet, musk)
    Balmain Miss Balmain - (castoreum, leather)
    Serge Lutens Daim Blond - (musk, leather / suede)
    Chanel Cuir de Russie - (leather)
    Hermes Bel Ami - (castoreum, leather)
    Prince Matchabelli Cachet - (civet, leather, musk)
    Halston Z-14 - (leather, musk)
    Guerlain Jicky - (leather, civet)
    Dana English Leather - (leather)
    Dana Tabu - (civet, musk)
    Chanel Cuir de Russie - (leather, musk)
    Dana English Leather Musk - (leather, musk)
    Schiaparelli Shocking - (civet, musk)
    Lentheric Just Musk - (musk)
    Guerlain Habit Rouge - (leather)
    Michael Kors Michael For Men - (musk, leather / suede)
    Vivienne Westwood Boudoir - (musk)
    Jovan Musk Oil - (musk)
    Le Labo Labdanum - (civet, castoreum)
    Lagerfeld KL pour femme - (civet)
    Dior Homme - (leather)
    Revlon Intimate - (castoreum, civet, musk)
    Molinard Habanita - (ambergris, leather, musk)
    Serge Lutens Chergui - (leather, musk)
    Maxims pour Homme - (musk, leather)
    Raphael Replique - (leather, civet, musk)
    Lorenzo Villoresi Musk - (musk)
    Miss Dior - (leather)

My initial choices are:

Ava Luxe Rasa (normal or intense) - (4 x musk, ambergris, civet)
    Nemat International Supreme Musk - (musk)

But I am also open to any other suggestions or the majority vote.

My choice would be:
    - Guerlain: Jicky (of course)
    - Lutens: Daim Blond
    - Lutens: Chergui
    - Ava Luxe Film Noir

Full bottles of the first three, sample of the last.

And nobody, really nobody is going to talk me into layering with Musc Koublai Khan

BTW: did anyone ever try LT Piver's Cuir de Russie? Even Roja Dove sells it, so its pedigree must be flawless

Blog Entries

[...]And nobody, really nobody is going to talk me into layering with Musc Koublai Khan
    (You big chicken! )

My choice would be:
    - Guerlain: Jicky (of course)
    - Lutens: Daim Blond
    - Lutens: Chergui
    - Ava Luxe Film Noir
    OK, just my $0.02 on your choices, for what it's worth:

Guerlain: Jicky - great choice but I fear that it is so fleeting, that it may not may a measurable impression in many combos. I would be interested to see how much effect it actually did have but fear there may be much disappointment. It may be more effective with other lighter fruits, florals and soft woods.
    Lutens: Daim Blond - I don't find this as representative of animalic as much as other scents available to choose from and feel it may be a little to similar AL Film Noir to do both. Also it is so distinctive, like Shalimar, that there may be blending issues also.
    Lutens: Chergui - have you sampled By Dolce & Gabbana Woman yet?
    Ava Luxe Film Noir -

(You big chicken! )

OK, just my $0.02 on your choices, for what it's worth:

Guerlain: Jicky - great choice but I fear that it is so fleeting, that it may not may a measurable impression in many combos. I would be interested to see how much effect it actually did have but fear there may be much disappointment. It may be more effective with other lighter fruits, florals and soft woods.
    Lutens: Daim Blond - I don't find this as representative of animalic as much as other scents available to choose from and feel it may be a little to similar AL Film Noir to do both. Also it is so distinctive, like Shalimar, that there may be blending issues also.
    Lutens: Chergui - have you sampled By Dolce & Gabbana Woman yet?
    Ava Luxe Film Noir -
    Waahaah Chicken, a big Chicken on fleeting Jicky!!

But, a stubborn chicken as well. I will pour half a bottle of pure Jicky extrait on me just to layer it with whatever.
    Hmm, Daim Blond similar to Film Noir: right, I will go layer those. See what happens. Daim Noir or Film Blond?
    *hugging Chergui*....yes, tested By and said bye-bye.

Love you too, Moondeva! My big Layering Lioness, eh, do you eat Jicky-Chicky's?
    Just curious (and ready to run).

Blog Entries

Waahaah Chicken, a big Chicken on fleeting Jicky!!

But, a stubborn chicken as well. I will pour half a bottle of pure Jicky extrait on me just to layer it with whatever.
    Hmm, Daim Blond similar to Film Noir: right, I will go layer those. See what happens. Daim Noir or Film Blond?
    *hugging Chergui*....yes, tested By and said bye-bye.

Love you too, Moondeva! My big Layering Lioness, eh, do you eat Jicky-Chicky's?
    Just curious (and ready to run).
    Awww, you're so cute and I've grown accustomed to you now, so maybe you won't make lunch if you keep earning your keep... Keep those golden (layering) eggs coming and I'll hold off on the KFC (11 herbs & spices) batter.

By the way, have you met anything other than a stubborn chicken?? They even give oxen a run for their money...

My initial choices are:

Ava Luxe Rasa (normal or intense) - (4 x musk, ambergris, civet)
    Nemat International Supreme Musk - (musk)

But I am also open to any other suggestions or the majority vote.
    Hi Moondeva! I vote for Jolie Madame.

Too bad the Nemat web site requires a $40 minimum purchase, or I'd blind-buy some of that, too. If you start pulling from the full list, I have Tabac Blond, Daim Blond, Jicky (sans chicken ;-), Tabu, a little Cuir de Russie, and could buy Jovan Musk easily.

As a side note, while I agree that Daim Blond is not ideal for blending, I accidentally sprayed over semi-washed-off Chanel 19 edt once, and WOW -- I got Daim Blond with chypre/leather basenotes and surprising staying power Tough to duplicate, though...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coumarin
    Hi Moondeva! I vote for Jolie Madame.
    Too bad the Nemat web site requires a $40 minimum purchase, or I'd blind-buy some of that, too. If you start pulling from the full list, I have Tabac Blond, Daim Blond, Jicky (sans chicken ;-), Tabu, a little Cuir de Russie, and could buy Jovan Musk easily.[...]
    Thanks for joining in courmarin! Now, that it's less of a novelty I am a little scared that attendance / participation will drop off.

Thanks also to having so many options to choose from!
    ::Notes extra votes for Jicky (sans le coq), Jolie Madame and Daim Blond::

Quote Originally Posted by coumarin
    [...]As a side note, while I agree that Daim Blond is not ideal for blending, I accidentally sprayed over semi-washed-off Chanel 19 edt once, and WOW -- I got Daim Blond with chypre/leather basenotes and surprising staying power Tough to duplicate, though...
    Not so hard for the crazeee layering laideeee! :bounce:

I recommend you try a small dab / spritz of Ava Luxe Chypre Noir / Dark Chypre under your usual application of Serge Lutens Daim Blond. You will get a similar effect without the complex floral top present in the Chanel No.19.

Another complimentary choice would be Ava Luxe Film Noir which happens to have a very similar 'suede' leather character as the Serge Lutens Daim Blond but is deeper, darker and has none of the sweet apricot kernel or hawthorn top & heart notes.

Just got back from a week in the North Carolina mountains almost ENTIRELY devoted to Ava Luxe. Great find!

Have ordered Rasa x 4 and hope it makes it here in time for this second challenge. Don't want to wear out Tabu!!

In my mind Kingdom is animalic 'cause of that sweaty "private parts" note that offends so many.

Still pondering for the Sniff'n'Speak this saturday - animals all over the place!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady
    Just got back from a week in the North Carolina mountains almost ENTIRELY devoted to Ava Luxe. Great find!

Have ordered Rasa x 4 and hope it makes it here in time for this second challenge. Don't want to wear out Tabu!!

In my mind Kingdom is animalic 'cause of that sweaty "private parts" note that offends so many.

Still pondering for the Sniff'n'Speak this saturday - animals all over the place!!
    Welcome back, baby! We sure did miss you!!!

If you think the current Rasa is carnal / animalic - you need to ask Serena sweetly for a sample of her old / intense / extreme version! I plan to try to use a little of my sample to layered with Tabu! I am also looking forward to having some extra cash so that I can buy a full bottle of this version in the parfum.

I love that we have similar tastes in the more potent / animalic side of perfumes, Taolady! You are one of my favourite sweet scent twins from across the globe. {{HUGZ}}

Chicken needs advice from Layering Lioness

Any thoughts on Amouage Silver or Gold (men or women, doesn't matter)
    Lots of animalic notes to my nose.
    Or Ambre Cannelle by Creed (just read Ayala's post)
    And: Cuir Mauresque.

Layering candidates?

The thought of layering an Amouage scent is almost perverse Exactly the reason why I would like to try it.
    Bad chicken!!

Welcome back, baby! We sure did miss you!!!

If you think the current Rasa is carnal / animalic - you need to ask Serena sweetly for a sample of her old / intense / extreme version! I plan to try to use a little of my sample to layered with Tabu! I am also looking forward to having some extra cash so that I can buy a full bottle of this version in the parfum.

I love that we have similar tastes in the more potent / animalic side of perfumes, Taolady! You are one of my favourite sweet scent twins from across the globe. {{HUGZ}}
    Missed all you guys too - and thanks for the welcome home!

Had already ordered when I got your note about the old/intense/extreme but this is a RULLY good excuse for ordering White Lilac and Film Noire!! (heh heh heh)

Blog Entries

Chicken needs advice from Layering Lioness

Any thoughts on Amouage Silver or Gold (men or women, doesn't matter)
    Lots of animalic notes to my nose.
    Or Ambre Cannelle by Creed (just read Ayala's post)
    And: Cuir Mauresque.

Layering candidates?

The thought of layering an Amouage scent is almost perverse Exactly the reason why I would like to try it.
    Bad chicken!!
    I am, sadly, currently a very cash strapped lioness so have not had the pleasure of sampling / experiencing any of the Amouage offerings, nor the Creed Ambre Cannelle, or the Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque (and believe me , I really want to)...*sob*

But that won't stop me offering a few 'safe' / 'educated' suggestions based upon impressions gathered from notes, scent descriptions and reviews!

Amouage Dia Pour Femme
    Top: rock rose, lily of the valley, silver frankincense
    Heart: myrrh, orris, jasmine
    Base: ambergris, civet, musk, cedarwood, sandalwood

Amouage Dia Pour Homme
    Top: rock rose, lily of the valley, silver frankincense
    Heart: myrrh, orris, jasmine
    Base: ambergris, civet, cedarwood, sandalwood, musk, patchouli, oakmoss

Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Serge Lutens Chergui
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Serge Lutens Fleurs D'Oranger
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Serge Lutens A La Nuit
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Serge Lutens Un Cedre
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Comme des Garcons EDP
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Comme des Garcons Wood Coffee
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Ava Luxe Film Noir
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Ava Luxe Forbidden Fruit
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Ava Luxe Wild Black Fig
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Ava Luxe Cafe Noir
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Dana Tabu
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Dinner by Bobo
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + TBS Amorito
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Yves Rocher Vanille Bourbon
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Il Profumo Vanille Bourbon
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Carolina Herrera by Carolina Herrera
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Dior Homme
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Guerlain Samsara parfum
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + YSL M7
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + YSL Nu EDP
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Dior Dior Addict
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Givanchy Amarige
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + TBS Satsuma
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + TBS Neroli Jasmine
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + TBS White Musk
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Clinique Aromatics Elixir
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Lagerfeld Classic
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Gucci Accenti
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Nemat Narcissus
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Nemat Sweet Jasmine
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Halston Z-14
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Jo Malone Lime Blossom
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Jo Malone Nectarine Blossom & Honey
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + L'Artisan Tea 4 Two
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + L'Artisan Voleur de Roses
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + L'Artisan Vanilia
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Lorenzo Villoresi Musk
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Lorenzo Villoresi Incensi
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Joop Joop! Femme
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Nemat Nag Champa
    Amouage Gold for (Wo)men + Meadowsweet Dragon's Blood

Creed Ambre Cannelle
    Top: cinnamon leaves, pink pepper
    Heart: rose, cinnamon, bay leaf, coriander
    Base: ambergris, Tonkin musk

Creed Ambre Cannelle + Estee Lauder Cinnabar
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Etro Etra
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Givenchy Organza Indecence
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Ava Luxe Film Noir
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Serge Lutens Daim Blond
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Jamaica Parfums White Witch
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + TBS Cinnamon Spice
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + TBS Woody Sandalwood
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + TBS Neroli Jasmine
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Givenchy Hot Couture
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Fendi Uomo
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Cacharel LouLou
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Cacharel Gloria
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Joop Joop! Femme
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Hermessence Ambre Narguile
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Caron Tabac Blond
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Balmain Jolie Madame
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Guerlain Samsara parfum
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + TBS Pink Pepper
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + D&G Woman
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Nemat Sweet Jasmine
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Nemat Narcissus
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Creed Imperatice Eugenie
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Creed Cuir de Russie
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Chanel Bois des Iles parfum
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Serge Lutens A La Nuit
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Serge Lutens Rousse
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Serge Lutens Clair du Musc
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + TBS White Musk
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Lentheric Just Musk Cologne
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Guerlain Attrape-Coeur
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Donna Karan New York
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Jo Malone Nutmeg & Ginger
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Jo Malone Blue Agave & Cocoa
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Penhaligons Lily & Spice
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Gucci Pour Homme / Gucci Eau de Parfum
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Crown Perfumery Matsukita
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Ava Luxe Madame X
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Ava Luxe Rasa
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Ava Luxe Kama
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Ava Luxe True Bluish Light
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Ava Luxe Incense Rose
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Jasper Conran Woman
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Yardley Sandalwood
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Yardley Orange Blossom
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Dior Homme
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Coty L'Aimant
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + YSL Body Kouros
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Crabtree & Evelyn Rosewater Eau Fraiche
    Creed Ambre Cannelle + Crabtree & Evelyn Nadira

Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque
    Notes: amber, myrrh, burnt styrax, incense, cinnamon, aloe wood, cedar, civet, nutmeg, clove, cumin, musk, mandarin peel, orange blossom.

Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Estee Lauder Cinnabar
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Creed Ambre Cannelle
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Creed Imperatice Eugenie
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Hermessence Ambre Narguile
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + IPdF Ambre di Nepal
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Serge Lutens Fleurs D'Oranger
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Serge Lutens Daim Blond
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Serge Lutens Arabie
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Caron Poivre
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Dior Homme
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Fendi Uomo
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Aramis Aramis For Men
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Lagerfeld Classic For Men
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Aramis Havane Pour Elle
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Jo Malone Orange Blossom
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Yardley Orange Blossom
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Yardley Sandalwood
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + 5* Fragrance Company Royal Secret II / Royal Secret For Men
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Joop Joop! Femme
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + TBS Satsuma
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + TBS Woody Sandalwood
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + TBS Neroli Jasmine
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque
    + Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant

Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Cartier Les Baiser du Dragon
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Dior Hypnotic Poison EDP
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Dior Pure Poison EDP
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Guerlain Samsara
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Guerlain Vol de Nuit
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Caron En Avion
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + Caron Yatagan
    Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque + L'Anarchiste

These lists are by no means exhaustive, but they should give you a strong base / spring board from which to discover your own combos.

I really wish I could join you in trying out some of these combos as the scents you have listed are all long-term lemmings of mine.

Enjoy!

And those advices simply sound divine :bounce:

A lot of beauties to experiment with. :toppie:
    This will keep me on the right animalic path.

Thank you, Layering Queen and watch your mail.
    You can stop crying.
    Last edited by Riannon; 30th January 2007 at 05:55 AM.

Last (heavy breathing) gasp of the January Tabu/Samsara challenge (I TRY to live one day at a time!!) with Creed Fleurs de Bulgarie and my New Best Friend Tabu! The rosy musc of FdeB goes real good with the spices and flowers of Tabu. They are a happy couple! :bounce:

Thanks to Moondeva for introducing me to MNBF and for piloting this month long - er, um - "project". (Hate to use that word 'cause it sounds so industrial.

I learned a LOT and found some great new combos. Am looking forward to all the February animals!
    !

(Hope I'm in the right place !! )

First day of the animals. Started with Habanita on wrists and arms - flew downstairs to the PILE of samples sent by a dear Dragon and lavished on much-anticipated Tam Dao between boobs and on chest and behind ears.

Friends forever!! The smoky myrrh and leather and roses of Habanita (now drying down into a refined vanilla) is a perfect companion for the sophisticated sandalwood of Tam Dao.

Lessee- the questions: Did it work as I had expected? Yup! Were any notes dominant? Not really - Tam Dao is pretty straightforward and Habanita is so beautifully blended (IMNSHO) and the image of a soignee gentleman in his "Smoking" lounging in a wing chair of well oiled ancient leather and smoking a private blend is GREAT for this chill rainy day at the beach! Would I do it again? Am thinking about it. Both are samples......

My first animalic/leather layering combo is LesNez L'Antimatiere with SL Daim Blond.

On me, L'Antimatiere dries down to a comforting wool and musk scent with the faintest hint of refreshing mint, or maybe linen pressed with a mint-infused laundry spray. The only animalic option in Moondeva's guidelines that I thought might match L'Antimatiere without overwhelming it was the marvelously subtle Daim Blond, featuring notes of suede, apricot and iris.

I had applied L'Antimatiere first and allowed time for it to settle in. A light spritz of Daim Blond, and the apricot/suede notes clearly dominated. The a strange thing happened: DB seemed to vanish for a moment, as the famously elusive LA took over. Only then did the two frags seem to truly meld, with DM's iris note sharing the airier space in the composition with L'A's minty pressed linen accord, as the suede note took on a faintly wooly hue, pushing DB's apricot back from center stage to a supporting role.

How did I like it? I did! I have yet to wear DB in hot humid weather, but I can imagine the apricot getting a bit over aggressive, and L'A could be the perfect antidote in that case. the combination is probably too subtle and close to the skin to get noticed much, but I would definitely wear it again.

Blog Entries

NB: Can all new layering combos be posted to the current animalic crazy combo's thread here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=192405
    Last edited by moondeva; 3rd February 2007 at 06:31 PM.

This is a repeat of other posts today. (Lazy? Moi?)
    First off - had to restrain self from diving into wonderful trove of samples from the ever-generous TWolf.
    THEN - had to start out with Lauder's pretty Pleasures - to offset the grumpiness caused by the fact I couldn't find my Habanita sample for today's SnS.
    THEN, of course, found the Habanita. Et voila - serendipitous layering!!

Since Pleasures (a light floral) is not as intense as many Lauders, and Habanita - with her bold blend of tobacco and leather (and myrrh and smoked roses) - doesn't take a back seat for ANYONE ....this is a most felicitous combination!

Did I like it? Absolutely! The Pleasures of the Lady from Havana are many! Did it work out as expected?Didn't really have any expectations - just held my breath and hoped!! Would I do it again? Absolutely! What notes predominated? None - smoke and leather and flowers are coexisting happily. Did it elicit compliments/comments? Will report.

Samsara edt + Shalimar edt

Did you like it? You bet!
    Do you think it works? Absolutely. Guerlain has the right notes and the quality of both shine through the entire thing and you can actually see that both scents compliment each other in a very uniform and steady composition. A surprise.
    Wich notes dominated in the blend?
    At first , the bergamot dominated the whole thing wich was a bit surprising, but it got less loud with samsara’s top notes. The mid notes are all samsara, and the saldalwood appears to come forward faster here to make room for the vanilla to take over the base of it, but it’s not as sweet as if shalimar were alone, and the vanilla remains on a leash, finally, the sandalwood overtakes the vanilla in an unexpected turn of events, and the composition closes with a very nice goodbye. You just have to smell the very end, it’s very very pretty.
    Would you wear It again? I think I just might. They really go well together.
    Score? 4,5 ; this combo is very nice, but I prefer the extremes of the scents by themselves.

Samsara edt + Yardley’s Orange Blossom (since i don't have joe malone's)

Did you like it? Yes, but somehow, samsara’s longevity got cut by half!
    Do you think it works? Kinda
    Stangely enough, samsara got its logevity cut by half , wich was the most strange find, the rest of the notes were very easy to pick up: the orange blossom, orange fruits, rose and jasmine, are easily identifiable, as well as the patchouli and sandalwood of course, given that both scents have sandalwood bases. The note that completely drowned was the lily of the valley.
    Would you wear it again? I don’t think so, each scent is better by itself.specially samsara, wich seemed to be scared of yardley’s scent.
    Score: 3,5

Samsara edt + Dior’s Eau Sauvage

Did you like it? Yes I did
    Do you think it works? Yes I think it works.
    Well, the citrus notes in ES totally dominated the top of the blend and I liked that a lot, I’m not saying that samsara’s top notes are bad, but they were very very shy and the combo made them take a back seat, wich made the blend seem more maculine.
    The mid sort of remided me of samsara shine, wich I tend to think of it as a citrusy version of samsara. Again, the longevity was cut short by a long time, why is that?...samsara’s basenotes dominated all the basenotes and I loved it because samsara has some of the best creamy sandalwoods. The midnotes werenot really attractive and there was some stinkeroo trying to come out and play but it got a bit restrained.
    Would you wear it again? Nope, I already have samsara shine.
    Score: 4

Samsara edt + Dior Homme
    Did you like it? NO
    Do you think it works? Not for me, maybe it does for the caramel lovers.
    The scent was very strong and had a huge sillage. Dior homme triplicated samsara’s strenght and DH never smelled sweeter than this. The most dominant note in the entire thing was a very syrupy sweet caramel that was very annoying to me. It lasts forever.almost headache inducing. Samsara got lost in the orris candy gigerbread and molasses house of the bad witch (wich was a man in drag it seems).
    Would you wear it again? No.
    Score: 1

Samsara edt + Dior’s Dolce Vita edt
    Did you like it? Yes.
    Do you think it works? Yeah in a sense it does.
    Wich notes dominated the blend?
    The scent got a very masculine feel from the get-go wich was strange given that both have very feminine tops, the fresh notes came together in both scents to create a very sharp fresh top and the mid notes were very masculine as well, woods and even fourgere at times. The sweetness of both scents got somewhat dissipated and the base was very much sandalwood ambery with clean-honey bits that were not too sweet. It felt like a new scent altogether with both samsara and dolcevita’s insprations.
    Would you wear it again? Yes
    Score: 3,5; very nice but not breathtaking, original: yes.

Samsara edt + Chanel’s Coco edt
    Did you like it? Yes!
    Do you think it works? Yes
    The top got a very intense boozy top a-la-fendi donna, only this one smelled way better. Very fresh and very attractive, feminine and musky, this scent captured my attention pretty fast. Strong sillage and better longevity, coco became even prettier (I mean by this that coco became less of a moddy dame), less misterious, and more fun. The mid and base notes were all lineal but very coco-oriented, with just a bit of samsara at the end. Did I smell lemons in between? Surprising.
    Would you wear it again? Maybe
    Score: 4 ; it managed to smell very elegant, but lacked the density and lacquered red-n’black of coco.still, very attractive, it’s a must try!

Samsara edt + Coco Mademoiselle EDT

Did you like it? Yes
    Do you think it works? Honestly, no. Because most of it came from coco mademoiselle.
    All of the notes in coco mademoiselle dominated the entire blend, there was a fruity turn at mid-notes wich was nice and pretty and the patchouli ate the entire base.
    Would you wear it again? Nope
    Score: 3; I already have coco mademoiselle in EDP! It smelled very nice still.

Samsara edt + Jaďpur Homme edt

Did you like it? Yes
    Do you think it works? Yes it does work
    Creamy Vanilla dominated the blend, there ws a certain “old expensive velvet couch” feel to it that was very comfortable, it reminded me of older times, it smelled amazing. It felt like a perfect combo of vanilla and woods. Great sillage. You have to try it.
    Would you wear it again? Yes
    Score: 5. it was really, really nice.

cheers!

Blog Entries

Wow! Thank you castorpollux for a bounteous collection of great crazy combos!!

They all sound amazing. Funnily enough I think Riannon also tried the Samsara + Shalimar combo but did not enjoy it. Just shows how personal chemistry can have such a strong influence upon our likes and dislikes with scents.

I am positively drooling over the Samsara + Jaipur Homme combo! It sounds delicious...and it just so happens that I have both the ingredients available!

Please keep your combos and reviews coming that are fascinating to read.

Just slid in to mention that I have Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 layered with my all time favorite scent Terre d' Hermes and it's a powerful mix that blends beautifully. If this has been done before, let me say cheers and bravo.

I've still been wearing the Femme-Nu EDP combo...still love it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    Just slid in to mention that I have Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 layered with my all time favorite scent Terre d' Hermes and it's a powerful mix that blends beautifully. If this has been done before, let me say cheers and bravo.
    OMG! Fredericktoo!!! Has the layering bug finally bitten you too??!!

Yay! Then my efforts were not in vain...

And that is an absolutely delicious sounding combo! Sadly, I have not had the pleasure of experiencing either scent, but I am imaging a very soft cosy woody patchouli, almost gourmand but not quite, with a soft citrus opening / top note. I am drooling at the thought of it...

Could you describe it for me? Thank you. Please keep the crazy combos coming...
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    I've still been wearing the Femme-Nu EDP combo...still love it
    I have still to try this. It does sound lovely, perfect for a cold grey wintery day. Also very Classic. Thank you for sharing this combo with us Zibeline, it sounds like a definite keeper! Do you have the YSL NU EDT? I think that would make a good combo with the Rochas Femme as well. I am also thinking that both of the YSL NUs would be interesting layered with Joop! Femme also...
    Last edited by moondeva; 18th March 2007 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    OMG! Fredericktoo!!! Has the layering bug finally bitten you too??!!

Yay! Then my efforts were not in vain...

And that is an absolutely delicious sounding combo! Sadly, I have not had the pleasure of experiencing either scent, but I am imaging a very soft cosy woody patchouli, almost gourmand but not quite, with a soft citrus opening / top note. I am drooling at the thought of it...

Could you describe it for me? Thank you. Please keep the crazy combos coming...
    --------------------------------------

I have still to try this. It does sound lovely, perfect for a cold grey wintery day. Also very Classic. Thank you for sharing this combo with us Zibeline, it sounds like a definite keeper! Do you have the YSL NU EDT? I think that would make a good combo with the Rochas Femme as well. I am also thinking that both of the YSL NUs would be interesting layered with Joop! Femme also...
    Borneo 1834 starts out as unsweetened chocolate and a lot of it. Big sillage, great longevity. It smells like you're at an 1834 chocolate plantation on Borneo and you've been given several of the finest pods to sniff after they've been ground releasing their aromas.
    Terre d' Hermes is a lot of citrus and dirt something that could easily be on the other side of the path. A citrus grove of grapefruit and oranges and a platter of sliced fruit is given to you by the plantation owner.
    It's a day at the plantation in 1834 Borneo....

Moondeva, gotta share this one. It's so weird. I have a large bottle of Chanel 5 that I got because it's supposed to be the no. 1 frag. I was stupid, but I have never really liked it so I decided to try it one more time before I gave it away. Still didn't like it. Anyway I had just had a bath so I didn't want to do it again and had to run uptown so I sprayed some Prada on to sort of counteract the no.5 and I never received so many compliments in my life on how I smelled. People actually went on and on. I usually don't get compliments very often. Who would have thunkit?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDDanae View Post
    Moondeva, gotta share this one. It's so weird. I have a large bottle of Chanel 5 that I got because it's supposed to be the no. 1 frag. I was stupid, but I have never really liked it so I decided to try it one more time before I gave it away. Still didn't like it. Anyway I had just had a bath so I didn't want to do it again and had to run uptown so I sprayed some Prada on to sort of counteract the no.5 and I never received so many compliments in my life on how I smelled. People actually went on and on. I usually don't get compliments very often. Who would have thunkit?
    Cool! Thank you so much for sharing this combo with me, TDDanae!
    I, like yourself, have a huge bottle of this, chiefly because it is a classic but I find it impossible to wear. It's those pesky Chanel odd numbered molecule aldehydes I think. They always wage war with my chemistry.

My only question is: Did you actually like the way the combo smelled on your skin? Yes, I like to smell amazing to others and to receive compliments but I'd still reject a scent if it didn't smell good to me or gel with my perception of me. So did you love the combo on you?

This is worth a try I think. I don't do too well with Prada usually but I do have a few woody amber / patchouli alternatives.

I wonder whether any of the following combos would work? :

Chanel No.5 EDP + TBS Woody Sandalwood
    Chanel No.5 EDP + Ava Luxe Sweet Patchouli
    Chanel No.5 EDP + Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles
    Chanel No.5 EDP + JPG Gaultier 2
    Chanel No.5 EDP + Ava Luxe Dark Amber
    Chanel No.5 EDP + Yves Rocher Neonatura Cocoon
    Chanel No.5 EDP + Estee Lauder Cinnabar
    Chanel No.5 EDP + Ava Luxe Sweet Tobacco

Thanks again for sharing this with us, TDDanae!

To be perfectly honest, I would not buy another bottle of Chanel 5, however considering my compliments, I will keep it around to layer with other things with a little more base to them. It really did smell rather nice so I would probably use one fourth of no. 5 to a wood based scent. Please don't get the idea I am being arrogant or think I know more than the perfumers. I just know what I like and what works with my skin chemistry

Maybe fragrances with woods help to counteract the aldehydes - especially the floral ones?

I bought Nocturnes de Caron (blind buy) & the aldehydes made it into a single note overpowering & really stinky floral. But, when I use a small spray of Nocturnes & 2 sprays of Kenneth Cole New York (citrus, spices & woods) it changes into a moderate sillage fragrance. It's not brilliant but is wearable & I haven't wasted my money.

Now, that I've read all these posts about layering different fragrances together , I going to try some other scents with my Nocturnes & see if I can improve on the Nocturnes-Kenneth Cole combo!

If anyone has any suggestions on different combos to try...please post them.