Code of Conduct

Default Olfactory pyramids

A few times I've noticed that the notes listed as basenotes and topnotes seemed to have switched places.An example of this is Le baiser du dragon.On me the patchouli comes through first and then gardenia and amaretto...Another example is Mitsouko.the oakmoss comes through the most and eventually a touch of roses and peach....Any thoughts/experiences with this?

Default Re: Olfactory pyramids

I was wondering about that too.
    It is hard to say if a note is exclusively a top-, middle-, or basenote. Some of them, like bergamot and galbanum fly off the top every time. Others, like amber, hang around consistently until the end. But others have the volitile characteristics of a top note and the lasting-power of a base note at the same time. Added to that, the balance of the ingredients makes some notes more prominent regardless of their place in the pyramid.
    What perplexes me are the "upside down" pyramids. Does this mean that the notes have been chemically altered to defy their natural characteristics? Or is it the balance of the ingredients that gives that impression?