Code of Conduct

Default Notes From Sephora

I made a trip to Sephora last night, and here's some observations:

- Mat;Male is listed on the store's website for $12, but it is not in stock, so I went into the store only to find that it has been phased out in order to make room for the new Mat;Men, which sad to say, could be called "L'Eau Sub-par Kenzo." This frag does not seem to be carried by Scentiments or Perfume.com either...could Mat be killing this off?

- Escada Sunset Heat for Men is evidence that the trend of the 90's just won't die. Fresh aquatic with some woods...hooray!

- Blue Sugar smells like someone making blue-colored Kool-Aid in the back of a bakery. I thought it was an interesting scent, but everyone in my company seemed to loathe it. "Who would want to smell like that?" is the last I heard of it...

- What is the deal with samples at Sephora? If you didn't know, all the samples are stored in discreet lower shelving below the display of frags. If you are at the Hugo section, for instance, the drawer underneath will most likely contain the lot of Hugo samples. The last time I was in the store, I just opened the drawer and took some samples as I passed some frags that I liked...I figured that with the store setup they have, the customer is supposed to help him/herself. Well, I was wrong. I opened a drawer this time and someone rushed over saying, "No! We only give those if you make a purchase...say...have you tried Versace Fraiche?" Then this SA pretty much followed me around the rest of the time, while pretending she was there for my good.

On a side note, has anyone ever thought how strange it is that these women are that are caked with makeup to look like plastic Japanese geisha dolls, and no one thinks that's out of place? If these women were to walk out on the street, people would be laughing over their silly fashion sense, but since they work in a *beauty* store, it is just assumed that these women are fashion and makeup sanseis. I find it bizarre!

Default Re: Notes From Sephora

Regarding samples...it would not have occurred to me to just reach in the drawers and take for my own consumption without asking. That said, the Sephora folks have always been kind and given me samples when I've asked, in fact, they have the ability to make you samples in cool little spray vials should there not be any available directly from the manufacturer.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by John
    On a side note, has anyone ever thought how strange it is that these women are that are caked with makeup to look like plastic Japanese geisha dolls, and no one thinks that's out of place? If these women were to walk out on the street, people would be laughing over their silly fashion sense, but since they work in a *beauty* store, it is just assumed that these women are fashion and makeup sanseis. I find it bizarre!
    Clearly, you haven't been to Los Angeles...

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I agree with everything you say except about Mat; Men. I don't find it similar to Kenso at all. To me its a very nice citrus/vetiver good for warm weather.

Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher
    Clearly, you haven't been to Los Angeles...

TNMA
    I lived in Los Angeles (Santa Monica). Nowhere will you see 40-50 year old women that look like wax museum displays.