Code of Conduct

Question Montale's Velvet Flowers: Taken by Surprise

I wanted to post a thread in homage to this fragrance which was a blind decant buy for me on a whim. The name is misleading, it seems anything but velvety to me, frankly. My BF sniffed it this morning and said, "Wow, it's like getting punched in the stomach with a freshly peeled grapefruit!" (not in a bad way, though) I am pleasantly taken by surprise by this fragrance, I have been choosing more oriental , warm frags, rather than flowery, and this one is a nice difference. I notice that it feels hot on the skin, I wonder if that is the saffron, and I thought I smelled rose in there. I mentioned in an earlier post that it reminds me of time I spent in Japan, and I think I have pinned down a memory of some Shiseido products that my mother in law used which share some characteristic of this fragrance. It is also reminiscent of Shiseido energizing fragrance. I used to use the body cream.
    I received three unsolicited compliments today while wearing this fragrance which was also a nice surprise.
    Here is a description :

"An innovative blend of fruit, flowers and saffron that introduces us to peach blossom, centifolia rose, Lebanese jasmine and ylang ylang from the Comoros. This is a journey into oriental sweetness with a gurjum end note."

The longevity is wonderful and the sillage is quite good. It is a very energizing, uplifting and pick me up sort of fragrance. And pretty.
    Anyone else have experiences with this beauty? Or have other favorite Montale's? Now I am intrigued by this line.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Default Re: Montale's Velvet Flowers: Taken by Surprise

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41
    The longevity is wonderful and the sillage is quite good. It is a very energizing, uplifting and pick me up sort of fragrance. And pretty.
    Anyone else have experiences with this beauty? Or have other favorite Montale's? Now I am intrigued by this line.
    Most of the Montales' I have tried have great longevity. My skin is very dry so nothing stays on me for long. The Montales do. Specially Patchouli leaves and Black Aoud.

There has been a lot written about these scents at Basenotes. One was written by Robyogi back in May of 2006 in the men's forum. Al lot of BN members responded to that with their own thoughts.

Here is the link to that thread:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=168239
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

thanks maisonstinky, for that link. interesting thread to explore.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I tried five Montale's scents last year -- thanks to a BN Fairy aka The Chairwoman of the Sisterhood of the Flying Smellies!

Velvet Flowers was my most favorite of them all (and the runner up was Soleil de Capri), I just love how it plays on the skin from somewhat sharp and pungent to mellow and creamy. It starts very familiar, but not exactly identifyable, citrucy and dark. Could have been Rochas, or younger Armani, I suppose. Oriental? Very much, but modernized by the years of prestigious schooling in Europe. Velvety? Most definitely so, and in color it would be asphalt grey, with all the nuances of pewter and silver in between. Where I come from, we used to be eating dried and crystallized tree sap found on cherry trees, as kids -- waxy and balsamic and woody, Velvet Flowers reminded me of that too!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf
    I tried five Montale's scents last year -- thanks to a BN Fairy aka The Chairwoman of the Sisterhood of the Flying Smellies!

Velvet Flowers was my most favorite of them all (and the runner up was Soleil de Capri), I just love how it plays on the skin from somewhat sharp and pungent to mellow and creamy. It starts very familiar, but not exactly identifyable, citrucy and dark. Could have been Rochas, or younger Armani, I suppose. Oriental? Very much, but modernized by the years of prestigious schooling in Europe. Velvety? Most definitely so, and in color it would be asphalt grey, with all the nuances of pewter and silver in between. Where I come from, we used to be eating dried and crystallized tree sap found on cherry trees, as kids -- waxy and balsamic and woody, Velvet Flowers reminded me of that too!
    wow. thanks for sharing such a descriptive impression. I agree, especially about the change from sharp to mellow. it is really a delightful and unique fragrance.

Wonderful descriptions, ladies! I've sampled over a dozen from the Montale line over the past year and purchased 3 bottles as a result. Somehow I missed out on trying Velvet Flowers! It sounds absolutely lovely and will put it on my to test list straight away. Always room for another Montale in my wardrobe. I just love this line.

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by GraySwan
    Wonderful descriptions, ladies! I've sampled over a dozen from the Montale line over the past year and purchased 3 bottles as a result. Somehow I missed out on trying Velvet Flowers! It sounds absolutely lovely and will put it on my to test list straight away. Always room for another Montale in my wardrobe. I just love this line.

Kim
    I just knew you would post in here Kim . And I had a link ready for RTAMARA41 for the thread about your reviews.

RTAMARA41 here is the link to a thread that Grayswan wrote a while back on Montale scents that she tested:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=179743
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Vijay kindly sent me some Montales earlier in the year.
    I particularly enjoyed Jasmine Full (heady, swooningly voluptuous)
    and Sweet Oriental Dream.
    They are definitely long-lasting and use first-class ingredients.

I have tried Black Aoud, Aoud Rose Petals, and Aoud Queen Rose and love them all. They start with a bitter, medicinal quality which disappears and leaves a glowing, neon, ramped-up rose that really turns heads. The first two are unisex, with emphasis on the woody, somewhat smoky and leathery oud. Queen has less oud and a sweeter, more feminine base; but don't expect a prissy rose. There's lots of saffron, which gives it a lovely Middle Eastern twist.

I'm glad to hear someone else loves Velvet Flowers. I thought I might be the only one.

I purchased a sample set of Montales on Ebay and found that all have great longevity just by dabbing from sample vials. I liked Velvet Flowers and Blue Amber most so I purchased full bottles.

I want to buy more from this line but I'm pacing myself.

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky
    I just knew you would post in here Kim . And I had a link ready for RTAMARA41 for the thread about your reviews.

RTAMARA41 here is the link to a thread that Grayswan wrote a while back on Montale scents that she tested:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=179743
    thank you - excellent thread