Code of Conduct

Talking Head is spinning from samples(MALLE)

Right on the heels of my Ambre Sultan and Velvet Flowers decants, comes a Malle pack of samples and I truly don't know where to begin. Here are the scents I will be sampling and will try to post impressions as I go...

Carnal Flower (first impression - stunning, singular and a real keeper. hold onto my hat! softer than I expected but a real statement. Can't wait to fully test this for a good day long experience.)

Musc Ravageur: lovely. this speaks to my soul. I have the oil sample, and it is also softer than I expected . I wonder if the parfum would be different, stronger, or more long lasting. I don't have to think about this one. It is on the wish list. Entirely wearable, feels natural and good.

Lipstick Rose: first whiff...PRETTYPRETTYPRETTY pretty with brains.

En Passant: Lilac is my favorite flower and as of yet I have not found any fragrance that meets my expectation for this note. I am willing to give this a good run.

Le Parfum de Therese: HOLY COW! nutmeg? see? My head is spinning. where to begin...first whiff...fascinating. lovely. It does not seem fair that I like these so damn much.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Default Re: Head is spinning from samples(MALLE)

I feel like I've stepped into another world with certain niche perfumers. In many of these houses, no longer do I have to worry about calone (which, as magnifiscent and others have pointed out, is the marine-like note that is used in fragrances like Cool Water and Acqua di Gio that I absolutely cannot stand).

I have only smelled a couple of Malle scents, but I love everything I've tried so far. I was sent a sample of Musc Ravageur and L'Eau D'Hiver by the wonderful folks at Malle, and I am in love with both of those scents.

I am going to have to get decants of the ones you're talking about, those sound heavenly!

yes, it is a happy problem, I suppose, finding too many holy grails!
    so far my favorite houses seem to be Caron, Serge Lutens and now Malle.
    sigh.
    Though I now have a Creed in my top two scents, the Jasmin Impeatrice Eugenie.
    but I digress...God help me if I wander too far into the expensive house of Creed..I shudder to think!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Oh yes, I remember my samples from Louis Malle!
    They come in such generous sizes too.
    I fell deeply in love with Iris Poudre, enjoyed Un Lys Mediterrane
    and was baffled and shocked by Noirs Epices!!
    Lately I have tried Le Parfum de Therese and was blown away with the
    originality of it - it seems so "fuzzy yellow" to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by linnea
    ... no longer do I have to worry about calone
    Hear, hear!
    This is the kind of chemical that they put in those big "blockbuster" fragrances that hit the department store circuit and take the world by storm. Oh, sure, I bought a bottle of Eternity when it came out. It smelled fabulous. Strong, original, pleasant, but with no subtle nuances, no relief from the wall of artificial aroma. I never could get through the whole bottle.
    Thank goodness for the Internet, a place to obtain fragrances other than mainstream ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kewart
    Oh yes, I remember my samples from Louis Malle!
    They come in such generous sizes too.
    I fell deeply in love with Iris Poudre, enjoyed Un Lys Mediterrane
    and was baffled and shocked by Noirs Epices!!
    Lately I have tried Le Parfum de Therese and was blown away with the
    originality of it - it seems so "fuzzy yellow" to my nose.
    oh dear me no more to try dont' tell serge!