Code of Conduct

Default Sniffing Baldessarini Ambre

First, the good news: The line is no longer part of Hugo Boss, which thankfully, means from the start the scent won't be amongst 200 others from the house being released this year. The scent, to me, is much better than Del Mar, which I thought was pretty mediocre.

The bad news: Although Baldessarini wants you to separate the men from the boys, they really need to ditch the old guy in the ads. I think, in terms of advertising, they would get a lot more mileage from say, a bust of Socrates or something. The old guy just looks slimey, sort of like Don Johnson's Crockett would look if he were that old trying to pick up the "ladeez" wearing a pink suit and Mr. T starter kit.

Oh, I seem to be forgetting something here. The scent! Well, I don't get much resemblence to the orginal Baldessarini as another had mentioned, other than it has a certain brightness about it I suppose. What I do get is a blast of red apple at top that comes across as almost, but never quite, cloyingly sweet.

The whiskey is present as well, but truth be told, this isn't the type of liquor scent, such as Escada Pour Homme, that suffocates. The whiskey balances with the sweetness of the apples to give it a boozy airness, but it's quasi-light. Quasi in that the scent isn't exactly faint at all--it's quite prevelent hanging over one's skin from a few inches away, though I have to admit I'm not sure of the sillage at this point.

Though it surely won't be to everybody's liking, and most may dismiss it after its opening blast, those noses who hang in their a bit will notice a gradual transformation isn't a quite nice base of vanilla with a hint of leather, the apple note occassionally revealing itself to give it some lightness.

Is it anything groundbreaking? No, absolutely not, and I'd recommend anybody looking for a whiskey scent to sniff no further than Le Dandy from D'Orsay which still remains the cream of the crop, at least to my nose. That being said, it's not easy to dismiss the fragrance either--I find it much more enjoyable and interesting than Prada's Amber Pour Homme with its barber shop appeal--I just wish I could think of a good setting for it to be worn.

Default Re: Sniffing Baldessarini Ambre

Thanks for the review! This gives me a bit more hope as I'm an "original Baldessarini" fan.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

I do have a question. Did you smell any amber in it?
    m

Quote Originally Posted by marczilla
    I do have a question. Did you smell any amber in it?
    m
    It's not a dominant note, that's for sure, but it is present in the base and more noticeable than Prada. If one goes into the first sniff expecting to smell something amber by way of Amber Sultan or Ambre Extreme, they'll surely be disappointed. Those are rich of the resinous scent, so much so they're dominated by the note and hi-lighted by some spice here, vanilla there, etc. Baldessarini, and Prada as well, aren't going for that particular concept in their renderings so it's kind of strange to get two "Amber" scents without a whole lot of amber. Sort of like Herrera Aqua, which didn't seem so watery like a lot of other marine-inspired scents.

Even though I found Ambre quite similar to Boss Bottled I did like it a lot. Very smooth and elegant.

BTW Baldessarini fashion brand is not going to disappear.
    It was sold to Ahlers AG-a fashion brand holding company. Werner Baldessarini will continue to design the collections; he will also be in charge of marketing.

I sampled it in Bloomingdale's over the weekend. I found it to be very weak.

I just sampled this one on a paper strip and well, it is waay better than I thought it would be. The beginning was truely offputting, I put the strip in my pocket and went out to lunch. Now back at home I must say that it is quite nice and powdery smooth. I have to sample this on my skin to see how it evolves. There is indeed some fruity apples or something chiming in, but what caught my interest was the small streaks of Helmut Lang Cuiron. They share the same powder and creamness. A tad too fruity for my liking so far, but we'll see what skin will do later.

I must say that I was shocked at this scent.....This is nice. I'm not sure that I need something like this with all of the scents that I have....but none the less.....this is a nice scent.....i also agree that this is far better than the Prada for men.....I have tried to like that scent....something in there that I can't stand.
    Gary

Post Re: Sniffing Baldessarini Ambre

I didn't like this one at all. I just can't take this cloying synthetic sweetness, that is present in several Hugo Boss fragrances. I kind of enjoy original Baldessarini, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by G.303
    i also agree that this is far better than the Prada for men.....I have tried to like that scent....something in there that I can't stand.
    Gary
    I agree on this as well. Was about to put something in my post about how this is kind of how I anticipated Prada Men to be like, but lacked. Minus the fruitiness that is.

Yes, in agreement it is a nice scent and not overly sweet. Much better than Prada Amber IMO, as I found the Prada very light scented. The amber in Baldessarini Ambre was, as said, noticeable, but mild. I liked the original, but to me, the Ambre was better, but just my take.

As for the guy in the ad. Yes, it seems they could have had someone a little bit more in the fantasy mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark

The bad news: Although Baldessarini wants you to separate the men from the boys, they really need to ditch the old guy in the ads. I think, in terms of advertising, they would get a lot more mileage from say, a bust of Socrates or something. The old guy just looks slimey, sort of like Don Johnson's Crockett would look if he were that old trying to pick up the "ladeez" wearing a pink suit and Mr. T starter kit.
    Hey, this slimey old man is the famous bartender Charles Schumann, and he gives us here in Munich some of the most exquisite and sophisticated jags and hangovers. But, yes, he´s not appropriate for the ad, better try his terrific drinks !

Baldessarini Ambre mini site is now up and running.

Check www.baldessarinifragrances.com

When I tried this I thought it's somewhat like Minotaure or Biagiotti Roma. Anyone else get this?
    The way I see it, that old geezer in the ad for Ambré would be way better of wearing Zino.

To me it smells fairly similar to Boss Bottled/Boss #6, except for the labdanum/leather accord, which pushes my impression toward John Varvatos. (I quite like all the above.)

I,too, found this to be initially very cloying. But after an hour it does settle down into a tame, masculine gentleman.

Got a sample of this at Macy's today.

The top notes, as mentioned earlier, are very boozy to the point that you'd get arrested if you wore this in Utah. But, after the first 30 or so minutes, there's also a pleasant woody leathery drydown a la John Varvatos.

It's a pleasant surprise, that's for sure. But P&G should have released it last winter, as this is no spring/summer scent.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 30th March 2007 at 08:10 PM.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Got a sample of this at Macy's today.

The top notes, as mentioned earlier, are very boozy to the point that you'd get arrested if you wore this in Utah. But, after the first 30 or so minutes, there's also a pleasant woody leathery drydown a la John Varvatos.

It's a pleasant surprise, that's for sure. But P&G should have released it last winter, as this is no spring/summer scent.
    Yeah, it's definitely a colder weather scent. Pleasantly surprised by this one. Leather and whiskey, you say? No, it's not a biker rally. MOre like brown leather seats and a good bourbon. May have to pick this one up. Next up, JPG FLeur de Mal & Gucci II.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

It's at Marshall's for $24.99, so naturally I picked up a bottle.

Very nice. A sweet scent that my wife likes a lot. Sillage and lasting power...meh.

It's a light scent that will work well with work or play.

Basenotes Institution

From all of the descriptions, this sounds like Idole by Lubin. Is it?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    From all of the descriptions, this sounds like Idole by Lubin. Is it?
    People say that Hôtel Costes EdT and Idole by Lubin has quite a few similarites (being made by the same nose and all), and while I haven't smelled Idole by Lubin I've smelled Costes and Baldessarini Ambre and there are no similarities. Ambre has the Huge Boss vibe going, but not quite as bad as they usually are, while I have a HARD time seeing that coming from Idole by Lubin.

Post Re: Sniffing Baldessarini Ambre

Shifts is absolutely right, Idole is not very similar to Ambre. It's quite similar - yet a tad better - than Dark Blue and Boss Bottles, for example. There is still this cloying sythetic vibe to it, somehow toned down though.

I'm glad to see the hype around Idole has toned down abit, it lacks substance, and is flat and one dimensional in my opinion. Le Dandy then again is more similar with Ambre, only better. It's strange since it was made in twenties, that Le Dandy actually smells alot like these modern fruity scents like Lacoste Pour Homme and the Boss scents. It luckily doesn't have this element that makes the new ones so tiring and annoying.

to me this stuff reeks. I wanted so badly to like it, but the combo of amber and apples and whiskey is too much for me to bear...

Surprisingly I like this one. It seems to be much better than anything else from hugo boss or baldessarini line that I tried before. I like that it's boozy. I had few small tester vials and had a chance to wear it for several days. I want to get me a bottle, but I would not pay full price at Sephora or Macy.
    I also make connection with Prada, but I plan to have both. The duration was pretty decent on me, which is another good thing.
    Last edited by Boal; 24th September 2007 at 09:40 PM.

If you like reading a book in dimlight, and sipping cognac, you will probably like Baldessarini Ambre. It creates a nice slow boozy mood, especially in the drydown.

I just love Baldessarini Ambre, it smells truly ages better than most of the other frags released by the same house (that being said,
    I don't think that the other Baldessarini are bad either, but Ambre is simply more complex and subtle, with a more mysterious edge)

Definitely a decent fragrance, but extremely light with very poor sillage and longevity. A hot-summer masculine to be sure. I don't think you could even detect this in the winter, especially under a sweater. I have to spray it six or more times in 100 degree heat just to get a tad of projection out of it. It's uber-synthetic and quite unbalanced at the top with both the mandarin and the leather competing for top dog, however once the apple and whiskey accords bob to the surface, things start to become more balanced, and the soft vanilla dry-down is quite nice indeed. An 8/10 fragrance (imo), very light and synthetic, but a perfect summer scent for those who don't already own Gucci Pour Homme II, which completely destroys this scent in every category that a non citrus/aquatic summer masculine may be judged, sans the "whiskey" accord of course, if that's all you're after.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyle12 View Post
    Definitely a decent fragrance, but extremely light with very poor sillage and longevity.
    Totally agree. Got rid of mine 'cause I was just never wearing it.

A terrifying and hair-rising chemical bomb.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Found it to be overly sweet and synthetic smelling.

I like the boozy opening but can get similar from 5 o'clock au gingembre, without the chemical accompaniment.
    The best of this line is Baldessarini, a warm tobacco oriental. The Concentree has been hard to find but I note Cheapsmells are now stocking it at a reasonable price.

It's a good fragrance, but nothing awesome.