Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Church incense lover, some designer fragance easy to find?

I m a crazy fan of catholic church incense.
    Some days ago I post about CDG, I know about Avignon and Incense series....but I need to know some fragance easy to find, not super difficult like CDG. Please recommend some easy to find, I love incense.

Thankssssss

Default Re: Church incense lover, some designer fragance easy to find?

Try Azzaro Visit or Gucci PH. Easy to find and cheap, like a good woman!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Nemo (Cacharel)

Thrax

Monk by Storer! Easily available on ebay for about $24. A cologne made by one of our fellow basenoters!!!!!

Passage d'Enfer from L'Artisan.

Messe Minuit by etro...smells like church
    bois d' encens Armani prive church again
    Cardinal Heely

Someone already said it, but just to emphasize... Gucci Pour Homme is what you're looking for.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Passage d'Enfer: the incense in a church at Easter, warm.
    Messe de Minuit: the incense you could smell lingering in an empty church, cold.

Both beautiful but different in the feeling they evoke.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Gucci Pour Homme is more cedary/woody than incensy - I dont think it would satisfy your incense craving.
    -

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    Gucci Pour Homme is more cedary/woody than incensy - I dont think it would satisfy your incense craving.
    Maybe if it was a church made from cedar logs and didnt use incense but just the all natural smell of its surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    Monk by one of our fellow basenoters!!!!!
    AKA
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    AKA
    Mike Storer. I think his nickname is mastorer

gucci ph no... it's wood, as in plywood! nice smell but not incense.

is that kamali one people talk about easier to get than cdg? Have never smelled it but they say it's heavy duty on the incense.

etro and artisan are not going to be any easier to get than cdg (pay attention to what the poster is asking for, kids!)

Try looking for some frankinesce oil from some hippie-dippie head shop/natural foods emporium to get the actual churchy note in a rich form that should make you pretty happy I would think.

oops I mean marco from chile not carlos, check out this thread!

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...155#post956155

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky

etro and artisan are not going to be any easier to get than cdg (pay attention to what the poster is asking for, kids!)
    Etro's Messe de Minuit and L'Artisan's Passage d'Enfer can be easy bought here, only the Incense series from CdG is completely unavailable in the shops (as far as I know) in the Netherlands.
    Of course I have no idea if it is also easy to get for the poster.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

I find Gucci Pour Homme to be loaded with incense. Give it a try. I live in a city with churches on every corner and all of them burning something that smells suspiciously like Gucci PH.

However, I love Heeley's Cardinal. Pure incense (like Avignon but less gothic).

I detect incense in Tam Dao, but it is more Buddhist Temple than Catholic Church. Diptyque has a limited number of online sources here in the U.S. I'm not sure about Chile though.

I also get a lot of incense from Gucci Envy, but only for a while (top-/mid- notes?)

Good luck in your search.

Paul
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

I have the Norma Kamali "Incense" and this one takes the cake. I layer it with her perfume annd it works very well together. This incense reminds me being inside a Roman Catholic church during high mass when they burn tons and tons of incense.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Incensi - Lorenzo Villoresi

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The_love
    Incensi - Lorenzo Villoresi
    Yes, very nice, I wore it to church Good Friday of last year--but I had to order it online, and it wasn't cheap!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Gucci Rush has a stong incense note in it, which always reminds me of church, whereas Gucci Pour Homme reminds me more of a sawmill.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    I have the Norma Kamali "Incense" and this one takes the cake. I layer it with her perfume annd it works very well together. This incense reminds me being inside a Roman Catholic church during high mass when they burn tons and tons of incense.
    I've never come across a "high mass where they burn tons of incense". Could you please explain what occasion this relates to?

Incense down here is mainly burned at funerals.
    Renato

I m catholic armenian living in Chile.
    Chile is very catholic country, I m also.
    Here, in every important mass....they use incense, not only funerals.....in a lot of ceremonies in catholic churchs.
    Wow....for me incense is magic,something high,elegant,pure,faith synonim....thats why I love it....
    I m sad because not too much designers use it in a 100% version,like CDG or others.MOst of the names in this post are very difficult to find,VERY, I wanted something famous.....but I wrotte the Gucci in my list.
    Thanks for post!

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I've never come across a "high mass where they burn tons of incense". Could you please explain what occasion this relates to?

Incense down here is mainly burned at funerals.
    Renato
    In a regular Catholic mass, one candle is burned on each side of the altar ( right and left side ). There are three candles on each side. During a high mass, all the candles are burned during the celebration. Usually, Midnight mass @ Christmas is "High Mass", or other important dates. There are also usually more than one priest celebrating the mass during a high mass.. INcense plays a very important role during High Mass as the priest walks around the altar with the incense at least three times. The priest also walks in the church's aisle with an incense. It's a ritual.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I dont use "mass" fragrances so I dont know what people are talking about here
    -

Here in Mexico, they burn incense every time they have communion. So, frankincense is wafting through town several times a day! I just visited the cathedral a couple of hours ago and my guest was choking on the clouds of incense smoke...but I love it!

Did anyone mention Heeley's Cardinal? Did I already mention it? It's fantastic. I also love Avignon and I think I am going to order another bottle. I gave away my first bottle and wish that I hadn't.

Talking Re: Church incense lover, some designer fragance easy to find?

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    I dont use "mass" fragrances so I dont know what people are talking about here

LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    In a regular Catholic mass, one candle is burned on each side of the altar ( right and left side ). There are three candles on each side. During a high mass, all the candles are burned during the celebration. Usually, Midnight mass @ Christmas is "High Mass", or other important dates. There are also usually more than one priest celebrating the mass during a high mass.. INcense plays a very important role during High Mass as the priest walks around the altar with the incense at least three times. The priest also walks in the church's aisle with an incense. It's a ritual.
    Thanks, looks like I'll have to attend a midnight mass one of these days.
    Renato

Shocked to see Gucci ph being denied it's churchy incense status. For me this brought back memories of attending catholic masses. But yeah, the wood benches of that church are also in Gucci ph

I'd say Gucci ph is the best bet (remember, it's supposed to be an easy to find designer scent).

Hi Marco there is nothing in my opinion that comes as close to cdg's Avignon for authentic church incense well european church incense anyway except maybe etro's messe di minuit and that's probably easier to obtain than Avignon though not by much .
    Norma kamali's incense is not easy to come by and in my opinion as i once owned and swapped it away is that it is copal with big boots on,i've said it before this one is the one to use if you want to go off into a hut somewhere and find your spirit animal well made strong as the rivalry between Newport and Cardiff but not for me and very expensive to boot.

you may be shocked but I will deny it once more. gucci ph has nothing to do with frankincense! and gucci rush, if there is any incense it's not frankincense!

dont listen to the gucci group marcos!

Well I listen to my nose, and it tells me, yes yes yes, churchy smelling church smell Ah well, let's see what marco_from_chile thinks about it.

Thanks to all guys! Final conclusion: not popular brands work with incense church.
    I will try Gucci,but I think is not 100% mass incense,like I m searching.
    Etro Messe de Minuit maybe is THE option.

you may be shocked but I will deny it once more. gucci ph has nothing to do with frankincense! and gucci rush, if there is any incense it's not frankincense!

i THINK exactly the same of you.....Yep

Marco, I've spent a lot of money and put in a lot of effort trying to find a fragrance that matches the incense used in mass, so I'd like to share my thoughts on this with you.

I attend mass regularly at home in Northern Ireland and have always loved the incense that is used, and in my experience it is the same incense (frankincense) that is used in catholic churches all over Europe, at least in my experience. I've been to mass in Spain, Portugal, the Czech Republic, England, Italy, France & Germany and it has always been the same incense. However, I wonder if it's a different kind of incense that is used in America, as I've noticed there is often disagreement about what exactly constitutes a "churchy" smelling incense.

To take Gucci envy as an example, yes I can smell incense in there, but it's very definitely not a churchy type, it's the kind of incense burned in sticks (usually called Joss sticks here in the UK), much sweeter and not as resinous or dry as the church kind.
    I hope my thoughts on the following can save you the time and money I put into finding a fragrance that satisfied my craving for incense:

Passage D'Enfer: This is Myrrh, with a hint of lilies. Although I love it I was struck at first at how rubbery it smells! It has a faintly stone-like smell, but is very airy and light. Many people talk about how this evokes images of ancient cathedrals and candles burning and monks chanting etc. etc. Whilst it may evoke those images it certainly does not smell like a church incense. Yes, I know Frankincense & Myrrh are the archetypal church incenses, but myrrh is not extensively used in mass and actually has a somewhat burnt, almost bitter scent.

Messe de Minuit is another fragrance that has been raved about as being dark and gothic and churchy. I can only assume that most people writing reviews like this are talking about impressions and images the fragrance conjures up in their minds, or have maybe been caught up in some of the hype that surrounds this one. This scent was actually the one I was most disappointed with. It starts off with a blast of orange, which soon mellows to a warm, cinammon & spice scent with a woody base. I do love this fragrance, but again it is definitely not a churchy incense. So what's the link to midnight mass? It seems to me that this scent is trying to capture the scent of Christmas - not many people seem to have picked up on the fact that midnight mass refers to mass on Christmas Eve. Rather, it seems to me that people are imagining mass in some ancient church at the dead of night, gothic and creepy. the scent does have a certain musty smell about it, but it isn't really churchy smelling at all, and is a really warm, comforting scent.

CdG Avignon: Now, this is a good one. The opening notes are pure catholic mass. But, this being a CdG fragrance there's a twist. They've managed to get in the entire range of smells in an ancient cathedral: Incense, smoke, stone, candle wax, the works! It's a beautiful fragrance, and very recognisable to anyone who's ever been to mass, but the other elements in it tend to come to the fore once the topnotes have faded and it becomes less recognisably incense-y. A cold and beautiful fragrance though. It's worth checking out Shanghaijava Encens Mystic by Crazylibellule and the Poppies. It's a perfume solid, very cheap and easy to get hold of in Europe and America, and smells remarkably like CdG Avignon.

Gucci Envy I've already mentioned, very sweet and not churchy at all. Gucci Pour Homme however is worth checking out. In fact it'd probably be the easiest to get hold of. Although Supermarky has mentioned that it doesn't have frankincense, it does have olibanum, a resin that is very closely related to frankincense, in fact the names are often used interchangeably. Combined with the smokiness and leather/wood base it somehow manages to smell like catholic mass incense! I've had people comment on how churchy this one is, in fact my cousin looked at me as if I was deranged and asked why I wanted to smell so priestly! Very nice, although once the basenotes are reached it loses the churchiness and becomes a spicy, leathery woody scent. Gucci Rush has a hint of catholic incense, but is much more woody, and the similar smelling Azarro Visit has a touch more nutmeg and pepper but still has a churchy scent, in fact you might want to check that out, it's quite easy to find and cheap too.

The one scent I've found that is a completely true recreation of church incense is Armani Prive Bois D'Encens. It's extremely expensive and hard to get though. Many people feel that it's a very woody scent, and the Armani website talks about how it recreates the scents of some island Giorgio armani visits, but the incense is the main ingredient here. I read an interview with Giorgio Armani at the time the Prive scents were released where he spoke about how he wanted a scent that would remind him of going to mass as a child with his grandmother, and believe me this is as good as it gets. Sorry it doesn't fit into the easy to find category though.

One last thing I'll say is that I wouldn't bother with frankincense essential oil, it doesn't smell like the incense that is burned. Well, it does a bit, but it lacks the dryness and smokiness of, well, incense smoke!

I'm sure I've left some fragrances out here, if I remember any I'll add my thoughts later. And again, I wanted to share all this with you just so you don't have to spend as much time or money as I had to to be disappointed!
    Last edited by liam1977; 7th January 2007 at 12:56 AM.

Liam:

Thank you so much for your SUPER post. I apreciate it VERY much.
    Well....finally, I saw in your post some interesting advices....but believe me, when I go to vacation I go to big stores,tourism places.....most of them dont have perfumes like you said....stores like Macys,Nordstrom,etc....dont have it.
    I live in Chile and I go on vacation to the caribbean or usa often.....but only for few time.....I dont think I can reach some of your names....the Armani is expensive .....too much.
    I cant order online also,coz chilean custom is stupid, a lot of rules or to import a perfume.

Thanks a lot for your post.....I hope we can speak again....Pleasure!

Marco

Glad I could help. Actually, you shouldn't have any problem finding Gucci pour Homme in a major department store, Azarro Visit should also be easy to find, I think I remember reading a post saying it was very popular in Brazil so it should be easy to get hold of in South America. You might just get lucky and find the Comme des Garcons range in a department store. I bought it online, but saw it in Barney's department store in New York when I was on holiday there before Christmas.

The perfume solid I mentioned, Shanghaijava Encens Mystic is available all over the internet, extremely cheap (about $16.00 I think) and you should have no problem with customs as it is just a solid wax rather than a liquid. it's a bit like a lip balm that you apply to your skin. Anyway, if you're really keen I could try to send you some samples of some of these scents. If they're just in small sample bottles (like 1 or 2 ml or whatever) I'm sure they could be disguised in a padded envelope without customs knowing what they are!

Oh Liam, you are a gentelman!
    Thanks a lot....but im just curious....not that keen,lol....Thank you very much!
    I know Gucci and Visit Azzaro are easy to find, but others not.
    Liam your post was excellent! Super complete......but I m sad because popular brands dont have incense fragances.

See you!

great liam send him samples well done!

For the record, I said Gucci Rush had incense (as for that matter does OsMoz) - but I made no mention or claim of any frankincense.

I do own frankincense essential oil - it doesn't remind me all that much of the smell of incense burned in church.
    Renato

Post deleted.

#9: Avoid hot topics
    Posts/signatures that involve religion are expressly forbidden on this board.
    Last edited by DustB; 9th January 2007 at 06:44 AM.

Post deleted

Last edited by DustB; 9th January 2007 at 06:46 AM.

Renato....your post is 100% correct....nothing more to say about that topic.Clear.

Sumermarky....Thanks for your post.Complete!
    Chile is a TERRIBLE country for live, a lot of stupid laws, gansters,not safe place.....Well, I live here because I born here, but believe me I hate this country. My dad and mom born in turkey, we are catholic armenians. Most of armenian names end with IAN, like Gregorian,Akopian,Maloyian,Agassian,etc....Yes Agassian is armenian....Cher also (Cherlyn Sarkissian)...lol....Mostly lives in Glendale California. Thats other point,lol
    When you import a perfume by couriers like FEDEX,UPS,etc....you must to declare it and then, you must to do like 100 papers in the Ministerio de Salud......(stupid politic stuff of HEALTH department)
    You need an spetial autorization! Imagine that! For 1 perfume!
    Yes....you can lie about the box inside, but I dont like risks and I prefer not to loose my money.

Agassian:Agassi....Andre Agassi is armenian, I forgot to say it

Who was the celeb wearing "incense" the other day and Kelly Rippa was absolutely raving about his frag. Ricky Martin, I believe.......
    Peace ~ Markymark

Yes....Kyoto Incense Comme des Garcons......Ricky Martin

Post deleted

Last edited by DustB; 9th January 2007 at 06:45 AM.

Good grief, incense is listed in the ingredients of Gucci PH.

Top Notes
    White Pepper, Ginger, Pink Bay,

Middle Notes
    Papyrus Wood, Orris Rhizome,

Base Notes
    Amber (an incense accord composed of resins), Leather, Vetiver, Olibanum, (Olibanum...aka frankinsence)

Now all we need is The Pope to say that he wears Gucci Pour Homme and this thread discussion will come to an abrupt halt and Gucci Pour Homme sales will go through the roof !
    -

Was a joke?

Post deleted.

Last edited by DustB; 9th January 2007 at 06:43 AM.

I've deleted the contents of multiple posts on this thread. I did so because they violated explicit and well known site rules:

This must stop. Smells of church are not attempts at theology, so discussion of them fits fine on this board and I hope it continues. Religious disputes are not welcome and I'll delete them again and consider closing the thread.

#10: Stop when you are told
    If you are advised to stop a discussion by an administrator or moderator then do so. Threads will be locked should discussion continue after you have been advised otherwise. If you wish to carry on your debate after you have been advised to drop it, please use private email.

--Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    I've deleted the contents of multiple posts on this thread. I did so because they violated explicit and well known site rules:

This must stop. Smells of church are not attempts at theology, so discussion of them fits fine on this board and I hope it continues. Religious disputes are not welcome and I'll delete them again and consider closing the thread.

#10: Stop when you are told
    If you are advised to stop a discussion by an administrator or moderator then do so. Threads will be locked should discussion continue after you have been advised otherwise. If you wish to carry on your debate after you have been advised to drop it, please use private email.

--Chris
    Ooops. Thanks Chris.
    Renato

100% agree....This is not a religion forum....I only asked about a great scent. Thats it....Simple and easy.

There is something better than Gucci PH.
    The best note in Gucci PH is Gaiac wood.
    Gaiac wood smels like church...
    The stronger fragrance contain Gaiac wood is:
    http://www.mmicallef.com/en/producte.../gaiac_en.html

YSL Kouros is easiest to find and it smells quite similiar to Tulasi Frankincense burning incense sticks. Kouros is slightly more flowery and also there is some detectable sandalwood, but not much difference compared to pure olibanum.
    According to perfume.com, Kouros has some frankincense on it.
    Gucci pour homme doesn't smell like frankincense at all.

I have found that layering Gucci Pour Homme and Encens Mystic (CL&Poppies, the little solid) is a fabulous recreation of church. I don't layer much but this experiment was entirely successful!

Exclamation Re: Church incense lover, some designer fragance easy to find?

Tumulte by Lacroix, very similar to the CDG incense series.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Here's a suggestion: Antonio Banderas' Antonio. It was released sometime last summer, but I have yet to see it appear here on Basenotes (the packaging is orange). I sampled Antonio in Walgreens and commented to the lady behind the counter: "It smells like incense." I liked it, and purchased a bottle (probably a good move, because it may disappear as quickly as it appeared!).

I don't know whether this is "church incense" or just plain old "incense" (I should know, because I was raised Catholic!), but it's a pretty good fragrance at a very affordable price. I used to burn incense when I was a kid, and sandalwood was one of the ones that I remember. Whenever I detect sandalwood in a fragrance, I immediately think (rightly or wrongly) "incense." I wonder whether Antonio contains sandalwood (?).