Code of Conduct

Default Sense of Smell When Sick

Like most people, I have a time-honored tradition of getting sick each winter with a headcold. Because I had a vacation coming up, I decided to put a stop to that this year. I took steps to improve my health, and so far so good!

But I didn't count on one thing - I got sick in a different way instead, with, let's say, considerable digestive difficulties, and I was hit hard. No food was appetizing at all, and with my normally huge appetite, that's a big change.

The bizarre thing was how this seemed to translate to scents. After a couple days I tried a light scent. This scent became huge in my mind, and the different notes were massive, even threatening. A big surprise was that hours later, the scent still seemed very strong, and this was one that I consider to be fleeting, without good staying power. I finally ended up washing it off, not being able to take it anymore.

Normally I'm a scent gourmand, and I mean that in the more literal French sense of liking very many scents, not in our scent jargon meaning of scents that smell like food. So I like things in every scent category, and even if I don't like a scent, I don't get sick or anything like that. So this experience caused me to develop more empathy for those who find scents to be overwhelming and even sickening.

Fortunately, I was all healed up by the time vacation rolled around; being generally very healthy allowed me to fight it off.

Default Re: Sense of Smell When Sick

I think you're seeing something I've commented on in the past: not eating sharpens your sense of smell.

In my case it was a voluntary fast, but it sounds like you had an involuntary fast due to illness.

I have a fleeting head cold coming attempting to overwhelm my senses as I type this. I've been engaged in mortal combat with it for the past few days and the only thing breaking through, scentwise, has been Dior Homme and now today, MPG's Santal Noble.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Sometimes if I get sick the foods I ate, smells I smell, etc become repulsive. I think it's my body's way of keeping me away from bad stuff. I usually lay off scents when I'm sick.

I'd hate to ruin a good scent for myself through association.

I tend to lay off scents when unwell for this reason. You body is just hyper-sensitised because you are busy fighting a microbe and it doesn't want any distraction or anything potentially upsetting. I bet any strong smell would have upset you!
    Glad you are feeling better, my friend.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I know this is a man's thread, but I just had to state that PMS intensifies fragrances like mad. It's truly unreal. I love sweet smells, but during that time, I can't handle them. Also, when I am very fatigued, my nose is off.

Just thought I would share.
    From the moment I was six I felt sexy. And let me tell you it was hell, sheer hell, waiting to do something about it.
    Bette Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Loli
    I know this is a man's thread, but I just had to state that PMS intensifies fragrances like mad. It's truly unreal. I love sweet smells, but during that time, I can't handle them. Also, when I am very fatigued, my nose is off.

Just thought I would share.
    Loli,
    Glad to have your perspective; I would have cross-posted to the women's forum if they allowed it; it's one of those topics where what's interesting is how different everyone reacts to things, and the more people, the better!

Hirch,
    Thanks for the positive thoughts! My nose is now working well, so I finally got to take your advice and try some Creeds!

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento
    Loli,
    Glad to have your perspective; I would have cross-posted to the women's forum if they allowed it; it's one of those topics where what's interesting is how different everyone reacts to things, and the more people, the better!

Hirch,
    Thanks for the positive thoughts! My nose is now working well, so I finally got to take your advice and try some Creeds!
    Yes, I read that. You were not too impressed? I would still say that 50% of my favourite perfumes come from this house, but then I like all things "classic".
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Everytime i get a cold, i still smell my scents and other people's scents but many times i get a sense of being squeamish and i even get headaches faster or at least the start of a headache and not a full-blown one.
    I can't look at food either, if you know what i mean.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    Yes, I read that. You were not too impressed? I would still say that 50% of my favourite perfumes come from this house, but then I like all things "classic".
    Hirch, My Musical Brother,
    I would say that I was actually quite impressed, but not enough to pay 200+ USD. GIT appealed to me very much, for instance.

I've got my samples right here; Bois Du Portugal is a heady, manly powerhouse, and I often like that kind of thing, but my wife gagged on it. Tabarome Millesime is a very nice tobacco, but I wasn't sure about the drydown - it has a vibrational quality that I can't decide on (yes, I know that probably doesn't make sense). I wish she'd given me a GIT sample.

The exoticism of SL appeals to me very much. Maybe my ancestry coming to the fore.
    ...and with appreciably lower prices, there was simply no contest.

The fact is, if you gave me all of your Creeds, I know I'd love some of them! Do keep that in mind. I'm almost positive I'd like Original Santal, for instance. I consider myself a lover of classics, too, but I guess I go for the cheap ones!