Code of Conduct

Thread: Musks?

Default Musks?

I'm looking for suggestions about fragrances that feature a prominent musk note or notes. I'm just trying to get to know this note a bit better so I'd like a few examples that do musk a little differently than each other and that have musk as a prominent note, so that I can identify it. I would search the directory, but as we know, many, many fragrances have musk in them! Thank you!

Default Re: Musks?

you know, pellen, i had the same issue. so many things have musk, so it's hard to tell the notes apart, and then there is the distinction btween musk from animals vs synthetic musk (which ayala moriel describes very well on her own blog).

one thing that i found to be helpful was to order a "musk sampler" from a reputable seller on ebay (who i believe is our own buffalo_gals). there were almost 20 different musks, from the dirty ole muscs koublai khan (kinda smells like BO, except really weirdly good) to mure et musc. it was a good learning experience.

my two favorite seriously musky scentes are narciso rodriguez for her (edt) and sjp lovely. they are so sexy to me, but also very clean - some people find them too synthetic, but i love 'em.
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

I second the idea about buying a musk sampler. I have bought close to a dozen decants from Dragonfly Scent Me on eBay, and I've been ecstatic with her service and quality.

I am a HUGE fan of musk. When I was in high school, I wore Pearl Musk by Attar Bazaar (perfume oils that you can get at health food stores). There are so many amazing fragrances that feature musk. I bought a bottle of Narciso Rodriguez's Musc for Her when I was first beginning my fragrance hobby and I still love it. It's great. My new favorites are Muscs Koublai Khan (which smells delicious and caramel-like on my skin) and Musc Ravageur.

Smile Re: Musks?

Hi pellen. One really good way I found to learn the musk scent was to go to a new age store or health food store where they sell essential oils. They always have roll on musk you can try. There are many variations from clean to dirty musks, but once you smell a basic musk, it is very, very easy to pick out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quinpus
    ...one thing that i found to be helpful was to order a "musk sampler" from a reputable seller on ebay (who i believe is our own buffalo_gals). there were almost 20 different musks, from the dirty ole muscs koublai khan (kinda smells like BO, except really weirdly good) to mure et musc. it was a good learning experience.
    I second this as a great idea. It is a good way to learn / understand how a particular note works / expresses itself when used in perfumes.

I love musks and tend to gravity towards the woody and animalic musk blends. It truly does depend on personal chemistry and preferences as to which are the 'best ' musks for you, so i would take all recommendations with a pinch of salt until you actually try it for yourself (even mine).

My 'Great Musks to Try' list includes:

Liberty Musk - very feminine, soft musk
    TBS Mostly Musk perfume oil - smooth woody and animalic.
    Ava Luxe Rasa (current version) parfum - 4 sexy musks with rose, a feminine, sexy scent.
    Ava Luxe Rasa (old / intense version) parfum - 4 sexy musks with rose, a very sexy, less barnyard alternative to SL MKK.
    Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan - raw, animalic, funky musk from the maestro
    Kiehl's Original Musk #1 - Similar to SL MKK, but more linear and slightly less 'dirty'. Comes in EDP and oil versions which are great worn together, but preference depends on personal taste.
    TBS White Musk perfume oil - sweet, heady, powdery white floral musk. Very feminine and comforting. A little goes a long way.
    TBS Japanese Musk perfume oil - sharp green floral chypre, clean woody (cedarwood) musk. Lasts ages and just gets better & better. Must try.
    Jovan Musk Oil - classic, sexy yet very wearable 70's musk.
    Coty Wild Musk oil - Another 70's musk similar to Jovan, Great in summer. Surprisingly subtle.
    Parfums de Coeur Skin Musk oil - Formerly produced by Bonne Belle, a very pretty, floral white musk.
    Lentheric / Mayfair Just Musk - Sexy, animalic 70's musk, similar to Vivenne Westwood's Boudoir but without the florals or 'funky bed linen' accord.
    Lorenzo Villoresi Musk - powdery, warm rose over slightly animalic musk
    Narciso Rodriguez For Her EDT - soft, sexy everyday musk. The EDP strength is more 'clean' and floral (similar to PdC Skin Musk)
    Auric Blends Egyptian Musk
    Cacharel Noa - very pretty, very light floral woody musk. Virginal.
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur - I find this much more a gourmand vanilla amber then a true musc but it is very sexy. I assume the musk depends on skin chemistry.
    Cartier Must de Cartier - this is more resinous amber than musk but another gorgeous sexy musky scent.
    Serge Lutens Clair du Musc - soft white floral musc, very pretty and wearable but still has a subtle touch of the distinct Serge Lutens raunchy musk accord.

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Thanks for all the great suggestions, ladies. I'll definitely give a few a try.

CK be..Superb white musk base

Quote Originally Posted by quinpus View Post
    you know, pellen, i had the same issue. so many things have musk, so it's hard to tell the notes apart, and then there is the distinction btween musk from animals vs synthetic musk (which ayala moriel describes very well on her own blog).

one thing that i found to be helpful was to order a "musk sampler" from a reputable seller on ebay (who i believe is our own buffalo_gals). there were almost 20 different musks, from the dirty ole muscs koublai khan (kinda smells like BO, except really weirdly good) to mure et musc. it was a good learning experience.

my two favorite seriously musky scentes are narciso rodriguez for her (edt) and sjp lovely. they are so sexy to me, but also very clean - some people find them too synthetic, but i love 'em.

I would tend to agree with quinpus, about synthetic vs. animal musk. I, not being into musks, (musky enough on my own...) don't wear them anymore, but agree with your choices of popular musk scents now. I used to wear, Wild Musk by Coty, and various musk oils in the seventies, and mix them with patchouli oil or sandelwood oil. I was the original hippy, turned rock n roller.
    Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 25th March 2007 at 07:19 PM.

Wink Re: Musks?

I wouldn 't wear musk if it was not for Clair de Musc by Lutens and Musc Ravageur by Malle!