Code of Conduct

Default Cracking the L'artisan Date Code?

While making up some decants, I glanced at the bottoms of my L'artisan bottles the other day and wondered if there weren't a pattern in the codes. I have a lot more experience with fashion/clothes, bags, and such, and so have gotten used to checking the various dating methods used by manufacturers (for example, Louis Vuitton uses a standard date coding for its items, as do many other high-end makers).

Well, on my L'artisan bottles, I noticed the following codes printed on the bottom of the bottle:
    Dzongkha: DZ26Z
    Patchouli Patch: PP23N
    L'eau de L'artisan: AR23S
    Timbuktu: TK24A
    L'eau d'ambre:EA24E
    ...and so forth. These codes are ALSO printed on the bottom of the boxes, next to the barcode.

Given that Dzongkha came out in 2006, and I bought my bottles after 2004, I'm wondering if the numbers after the letters don't connote the year of bottling (like 26=2006, 24=2004, and so forth)? It certainly isn't the year of release, since L'eau d'ambre was one of the early L'artisan offerings.

Anyway, just curious if anybody else had any insights. As with date codes on fashion items, this might be a good way of telling if a deal is "too good to be true" or if we're just getting 12 year old stock.

The best way to test this is if anybody has some older bottles. For example, if someone bought l'eau d'ambre in 1998, maybe it would say EA18E (I have no idea what the last letter means). I wonder if the final letter might not be either a specific time, or location of bottling (again, with LV, part of the code registers the factory where the bag was made).

Anyway... just a thought...
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 6th January 2007 at 12:54 PM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Default Re: Cracking the L'artisan Date Code?

H'm, that would be a nice thing to know. I have no idea, but it's a logical conclusion you've drawn, John.
    Last edited by ifconfig; 6th January 2007 at 01:07 PM.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Ah, such a brilliant thougt!

So, I looked at my at least three years old bottle of Passage d'Enfer.
    Code on bottle and box: FR32J
    And: Emb. 60509

FR for Passage d'Enfer? Don't think so.
    32 for 3002??? LOL

Maybe your code is only for bottles outside Europe.
    But I will watch this thread with great interest. Thanks for posting!
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Cracking the L'artisan Date Code?

OK.

Now, SOMEONE who either was in the perfume industry, is in the industry or knows a knowlegeable person in the industry should be able to get to the bottom of this. What a great idea!

Google doesnt seem to be much help but I would bet there is a code available somewhere for one perfumer that would give a key to the whole concept.

We seem to be a non-Luddite bunch on the whole so I firmly believe this is a solveable problem. One of us will uncover this secret and share it, I am sure of that.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

very cool idea! hope we can crack it together!

Contact L'artisan and find out, but then again, they may be hush-hush about such things.

S

Quote Originally Posted by stevolution
    Contact L'artisan and find out, but then again, they may be hush-hush about such things.

S
    That's a good idea, but I'd say that they probably won't tell (as you mentioned). Same with LV, Prada, or Gucci, even though the date codings aren't rocket science, they often act as though it is a great internal company secret. I think that often they don't want customers knowing very much about the product, so that if they have issues/questions about it they have to go back to the store. Once there, the opportunity for them to buy something else is much greater.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Below is is a section taken from the

International Fragrance Association Code of Practice IFRA (link below)

At least we know they do use the label codes for all kinds of things such as date of manufacture. The whole Code is a long read but an interesting one...

Practice Appendix 6 December 2006 6/6
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Page 35
    APPENDIX 7 TO THE IFRA CODE OF PRACTICEDefinitions

Batch: A specific quantity of material of homogeneous composition that can be unambiguously identified, manufactured in a single operation or a series of operations according to a well-defined process.

Batch number: A unique combination of letters and/or numbers printed, stamped or written on labels or packaging materials, which uniquely identifies a batch and which permits the tracing and review of all stages of its production history. \

__________________________________________________ _______________
    http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...&cd=2&ie=UTF-8
    __________________________________________________ _______________

VdR 1.7oz from Aedes.com Mar. 2006: VR15O
    Vetiver 3.4oz from Lusciouscargo.com Jan. 2005: VT14C

The first two letters are obviously a haphazard choosing of a couple letters from the perfume name. That's it; I got no more brilliant ideas about the rest of the secret code.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    VdR 1.7oz from Aedes.com Mar. 2006: VR15O
    Vetiver 3.4oz from Lusciouscargo.com Jan. 2005: VT14C

The first two letters are obviously a haphazard choosing of a couple letters from the perfume name. That's it; I got no more brilliant ideas about the rest of the secret code.
    Then, I wonder if the second number after the letters might be the year, but not the first? That would make sense for your bottles and mine; so then perhaps that your VdR was bottled in 2005 and your Vetiver in 2004? So then the "1" would mean something else, I suppose...

The final letter has me stumped totally. I wondered at first if perhaps it might be a month or something, but there are no months in French or English that have "z" in them (as in my Dzongkha code). So, perhaps it specifies a location.

Again, I'm just tossing out ideas...

1st# = month of production
    2nd# = year of production
    last (# or letter) = lot number (manufacturers typically assign lots starting with numbers (0-9) followed by the alphabet (A-Z) - or vice-versa (alphabet first followed by numbers)

Hmm, just thought about my "1st#" - since there are 12 months then 0-9 wouldn't be enough numbers. Does anyone have a code with a letter (perhaps A or B) to fulfill the 12 months of the year ?). Then again, I can see a french company taking 2 months off!
    Last edited by zeram1; 6th January 2007 at 06:09 PM.
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

A 26-letter alphabet would accommodate a code for designating two-week periods for an entire 52-week year...
    Last edited by simisker; 7th January 2007 at 12:02 AM.

Zeram and Simisker,

Thanks for the additions; those both sound like VERY plausible possibilities.

I hope that some others with older L'artisans will read this thread and post their numbers... I'm sure between the group of us L'artisan fans, we can figure this out!

I just received my first bottle of a L'Artisan... 100mL of Timbuktu! *swoon*

Anyway...silliness aside (Good LORD, do I love this scent!) the code on the bottom of my box is TK45T.

I am sorry that I've nothing to add to the thread...but I've been following this thread with great interest! We've got to find people with older-vintage bottles to post their codes (or maybe a L'Artisan insider?).

The code from my Tea for Two which was purchased a few months ago. TT16X.

Just thought I'd bump this one up, since so far no vintage L'artisan holders have posted.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trioxin
    The code from my Tea for Two which was purchased a few months ago. TT16X.
    My guess is:

1 = January

6 = 2006

X = L'artisan batch identification

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by linnea
    I just received my first bottle of a L'Artisan... 100mL of Timbuktu! *swoon*

Anyway...silliness aside (Good LORD, do I love this scent!) the code on the bottom of my box is TK45T.

I am sorry that I've nothing to add to the thread...but I've been following this thread with great interest! We've got to find people with older-vintage bottles to post their codes (or maybe a L'Artisan insider?).
    Guess:

4 = April

5 = 2005

T = L'artisan batch identification