Code of Conduct

Default A*Men / Angel men - method of application

So I decided to give A*Men a try today. I had a sample vial with 1ml or so of the stuff. First I sniffed it from the vial - hmm, something sour not completely unlike blackcurrant leaves, and yes, chocolate, I suppose... Not very impressive. But according to everybody, this stuff is completely different on your skin! So I decided to carefully dab some on my wrist... and fumbled with the sample so that most of the liquid got onto my hands. Whoops. Rubbed my wrists and neck a bit with my hands and eventually washed most of the stuff away.

Onto the first impressions: heavy, dark, can't really pick any notes from the composition. Not really very pleasant scent I'd say. Perhaps the sample had gone bad? Perhaps I, and my skin chemistry, just belong in the "A*men haters" camp? (I should note that I like other "gourmand" scents and don't mind sweetness at all - Hanae Mori H.M. is among my new favorites. So I would really like to like, and expect to like, A*Men.)

Then I happened upon this review by Stuffman (emphasis mine):

When worn correctly, its gourmand notes are truly sublime, and depending on how much you wear, sure to attract attention. There is a critical issue with this scent, however- the way you apply it determines whether it smells sublime or repulsive. If sprayed too close to the body in small, concentrated "patches," it tends to give off a burnt, putrid smell. If sprayed far away and allowed to cover a large area, the scent will be much more smooth and smell just truly fantastic. If you have a sample vial that doesn't spray, don't even bother- there's no way you can put it on right without spraying it.
    Is the difference between spraying over a large area and dabbing really that big, with A*Men or in general? Should I invest in a sprayable decant before giving A*Men the thumbs down?

Default Re: A*Men / Angel men - method of application

I would say the difference between spraying and dabbing is huge. I usually hold the bottle as far away from my chest and then spray it. It really is great if it is allowed to disperse over a large area.

I agree that how you apply A*Men is crucial. On first testing I did my usual wrists, chest & neck sprays and felt like I was being drowned in vat of chocolate flavoured tar. I put me off for some time.

Recently I have worn it on a couple of occasions and really enjoyed it - but I have done a single spray to the centre of the chest from arms length. It makes all the difference - you get complex (and manageable) wafts of chocolate, mocha, smoke, caramel etc etc through the night. I am not a fan of gourmand scents generally, but very occasionally, this one works for me.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

I asked a friend at a Christmas party last year what he was wearing and he told me A*Men. Well, blow me down, it smelled great! I didn't quite like it when I wore it. I have to try again with LeMale's spraying technique.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Thanks for the replies! Seems that I'll have to get myself a proper decant then.

Others will smell it the same way from a distance if you dab it on or spray it on, so whichever method you choose is solely for your enjoyment.

oke my bad for reviving the shit outta this thread,
    but how much impact doe's the distance in spraying really have ?
    i remember the first time i applied it, i accidently sprayed some on my hand and remembered i liked it
    and later that night i loved it and i couldnt was it off no matter what..
    and tested it a month ago i sprayed it kinda close and i fking hated it.. this left me very confused lolz
    so anyone has any experience or something to add?

For me, the distance in applying (spraying)this is a non-issue. The overall effect for me is the same.

in fact, so many different flask of A*MEN, are they all the same juice in different bottle only?????

lol ofcourse not, theyr all different

but yeah from my understanding spraying close to the skin makes it much more concentrated and harsh instead of evenly misted which mellows some of it out?

With a Hazardous Materials suit.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Regardless which distance method you choose to apply, they will both lead to the same road and go through the same pyramid development of the notes .

I wouldn't put too much attention into that.

Just spray it and enjoy it .

Add: For me, 2 sprays ( one spray from a distance aimed on my neck's central area, and one close intense spray on my right wrist then attach to other wrist and let go ) .

Sometimes i'll just add a 3rd spray on the other wrist, depending on the occasion .
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 30th October 2011 at 10:28 PM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

A light application works well for me, a heavier dose, not so much. It is overpowering to me, and to others I fear, if applied too strongly. One spray from a distance to the chest for me.
    Trying to make the world a better place, one sniff at a time

I have tried both methods far and close and everytime my wife says is smells like raid. LOL

1 spray at arms distance to your chest, get dressed, and when you are about to leave, decide if you need another spray.

I find that even with 2 sprays I stink up a whole room for HOURS. I find with Amen, people who compliment me are usually not the ones stuck in the same room with me for hours. Those who are stuck with me, get tired of the scent very quickly.

So 1 spray for me, which is enough to keep me happy and still be considerate of others. Your mileage may vary.

Method of application with these kind of scents is crucial. For example, I've been wearing Tobacco Vanille a lot lately. When I neck-spray, it's just too much for my nose. However, when I spray my chest once, it makes a world of difference and I absolutely love it all day long.

10 sprays to the taint creates a nice waft all day

Strangely enough, I think the application of A*Men is indeed crucial now that it seems that Thierry Mugler is no longer branding it as EDT, but rather EDP. Here is a link to their own storefront citing it as EDP:

http://www.muglerstoreusa.com/A*Men-...rt=4&cgid=M110

Even more strangely is that I just purchased a refill for my metal sprayer last week, and the box clearly referred to A*Men as EDT. Something is up....

Quote Originally Posted by oolafsson View Post
    Strangely enough, I think the application of A*Men is indeed crucial now that it seems that Thierry Mugler is no longer branding it as EDT, but rather EDP. Here is a link to their own storefront citing it as EDP:

http://www.muglerstoreusa.com/A*Men-...rt=4&cgid=M110

Even more strangely is that I just purchased a refill for my metal sprayer last week, and the box clearly referred to A*Men as EDT. Something is up....
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm confused. On that link you posted, it is listed as an EDT. Maybe they changed it?
    Current top 3:
    1) Gucci Pour Homme II
    2) Givenchy Play Intense
    3) Dolce & Gabbana The One

one on the chest, one at the front and back of the neck and one on each wrist