Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Great Layering Challenge #1 - Dana Tabu / Guerlain Samsara

Today I begun my personal 'Wild Woman Week' and was beholden to wear a perfume / oil featuring Jasmine. I began my day with Serge Lutens A La Nuit + (the extremely indolic) Nemat Sweet Jasmine oil - which turned out beautifully. I have been musing for a while about how Guerlain Samsara + Serge Lutens A La Nuit would work and today seemed to be the perfect opportunity to satisfy my curiousity...

What did you try?
    Guerlain Samsara EDT + Serge Lutens A La Nuit EDP

Did you like it?
    Ooh, yes!

Do you think it ‘works’?
    Yes, yes, Yes!

Did it illicit compliments / comments?
    None so far, but hubby only just got back and he may not notice since he is such a musk freak. *shrug*
    Update: refreshed using Samsara parfum this time and spritzed, rather then dabbed, A La Nuit. Still no comment. So I asked. Well, he came close and sniffed, then sniffed again, then got even closer and began to snuggle. "Mmmm," he said "that's nice. Yeah, that's really nice - very you actually..." "How so?" I asked, wanting more detail. "Well, it's very fresh and light, quite smart like for the office but still quite sultry. Very sensual..."

Which notes dominated in the blend?
    Jasmine, hedione, jasmine sambac, soft sensuous ambery vanilla and sandalwood, shrouded in jasmine...

Did it work out the way you imagined it would?
    Yes, and even better. A burst of green tinged citrus and then the most wonderful sillage, armfuls of heady Jasmine but lighter, fresher, and more delicate, Samsara EDT worn alone. Also paired like this, there is no up close (skin level) indolic 'pong' from the A La Nuit EDP.

Would you wear it again?
    Definitely. I am pretty sure also that this combo will work well with the more potent longer lasting Samsara parfum. This is a very supple, fresh, sensuous combo that is all about femininity and honouring your womanhood with one of the greatest classic blooms. I now know that heady 'pure' jasmine is a cool spring scent for me - like most other feminine florals! Yay!

Score / Rating?
    4.5 / 5
    Last edited by moondeva; 29th January 2007 at 11:10 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

So finally even I have done a layering, and it worked! I layerd Omnia with Samsara, and that brougt out a mixture I really liked. Omnia is a bit close to the skin, but has a beautiful depht. Puting Samsara above, the result was Samsara with a darker deeper background.

DH liked it, too, but after a question from me, not spontanious.

I will wear this again, this brought someting to Samsara that I liked very much.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

I am bumping this wonderful (and funny!) thread. I've just bought vintage Samsara and vintage Tabu and I got lots of great layering ideas here.

queen of the universe

I won't bump a thread I once started on layering Shalimar and Kouros. It does not get naughtier than that.
    Last edited by jujy54; 15th July 2012 at 11:03 AM.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    I won't bump a thread I once started on layering Shalimar and Kouros. It does not get naughtier than that.
    What did that smell like???

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    What did that smell like???

A long weekend bed with "the kind you don't take home to mother." Lemon, vanilla, burnt rubber, and that clean/skanky vibe that happens when lavender meets civet.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    A long weekend bed with "the kind you don't take home to mother." Lemon, vanilla, burnt rubber, and that clean/skanky vibe that happens when lavender meets civet.
    Sounds interesting

Is there a particular vintage/version of Shalimar to go for and what amounts of each did you use?

I'm going to try some of those Tabu layering ideas. ^^^ Tonight it is vintage Bal a Versailles edc over vintage Tabu edp. Not bad, though probably a waste of good Bal, but these two work very well together.

Adding next morning: They went together well for a little while, and then they didn't. The very fine floral notes of Bal vintage edc just didn't belong in that stew. The far drydown became interesting again when the animal notes blended.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 23rd April 2013 at 01:55 PM.

I'm going to try this tomorrow, but using Ambush and L'Heure Bleue instead of Tabu and Samsara. Glad you revived this thread. It's an interesting one.