Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: The Splendidly Scented Ladies' Book Club

What a beautiful opening post for discussing this book!
    Wow. I read the book this week and was moved by the language and the themes of race that kept coming up for me. Very fragrant imagery throughout, and let me just briefly say that Molinard's Nirmala as well as Gardenia would both belong in this setting.
    more later.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41
    What a beautiful opening post for discussing this book!
    Wow. I read the book this week and was moved by the language and the themes of race that kept coming up for me. Very fragrant imagery throughout, and let me just briefly say that Molinard's Nirmala as well as Gardenia would both belong in this setting.
    more later.
    Thanks rtamara! Yes, I bet Antoinette would have worn a gardenia scent.

The pervasiveness of racism struck me too --I think the story is more about racism than romance, and more disturbing for it. It certainly changed my perspective on Jane Eyre.

First off, let me say I'm sorry I didn't get here earlier to help kick things off. I got scheduled to work at the last minute, and my new puppy has me run ragged. Right now he is in his crate, crying the blues, but I need a break!

coumarin, what a great post. I can't honestly say that I've come up with any specific fragrances that were brought to mind by the book, but I'm really quite a newbie, fragrance-wise.

I agree that WSS is not about romance. Beyond racism, I think it is about colonialism, and patriarchy. I always was rather shocked by Rochester in Jane Eyre. When I was assigned WSS in university I felt that an important side to story had (finally) been told.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Yay! We're in business! (Relax, Pellen, we've got your back!! And we're GLAD you're back - go tend the puppy!!)

Coumarin, that was SO GREAT. I instantly wanted to try every one of your suggestions - some of which I've never even heard! (Plead "Newie" status)

So what I did for today was to begin with my first turned-down page (I dog-eared - sorry Pellen - all the pages that, to me, were frag-inducing) which in my edition (Norton Paperback) is page 19 where we find: "Orchids flourished flourished out of reach or for some reason not to be touched. One was snaky looking., another like an octopus with long thin brown tentacles bare of leaves hanging form a twisted root. Twice a year the octopus flowered - then not an inch of tentacle showed. It was a bell-shaped (sic. you Lutensites!) mass of white, mauve, deep purples, wonderful to see. The scent was very sweet and strong. I never went near it." A foreboding of her coming liaison - which she cannot resist and which ultimately enslaves her?

Before coming downstairs to sign on, I had already committed to Ava-Luxe Rasa - all musk and roses with a lot of vanilla amber depth and I wanted to heighten the exoticism and danger so I layered with Youth Dew on one arm and Vicky Tiel Venus de L'Amour (thank you Wolfie!) on the other. Now I am going to add a full breasted floral on the bazooms. Beyond Paradise maybe - or Jardin de Bagatelle. Gotta use what I got.

I think this book is about many things - cruelty, bondage/slavery, the power of the spiritual, the inevitability of obsession. I agree with Eluard that the b&w flick "I Walked With a Zombie" perfectly captures the tone of this slim and fascinating book.

Tomorrow it's on to page 33 - "the smell of ferns and river water" - Can't wait to see what you other guys are up to!:bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady
    So what I did for today was to begin with my first turned-down page (I dog-eared - sorry Pellen - all the pages that, to me, were frag-inducing) which in my edition (Norton Paperback) is page 19 where we find: "Orchids flourished flourished out of reach or for some reason not to be touched. One was snaky looking., another like an octopus with long thin brown tentacles bare of leaves hanging form a twisted root. Twice a year the octopus flowered - then not an inch of tentacle showed. It was a bell-shaped (sic. you Lutensites!) mass of white, mauve, deep purples, wonderful to see. The scent was very sweet and strong. I never went near it." A foreboding of her coming liaison - which she cannot resist and which ultimately enslaves her?
    I love that passage! I had a stem of orchids in a bud vase on my desk all last week, but alas, no fragrance from them. Toalady, I love your recipe for reproducing that lush humid scent. I"ll wear Ivoire de Balmain today in solidarity (it"s the only thing in my wardrobe with orchid in the mix)

Did anyone see the movie version of this book?

I found it disappointing and some of the more interesting aspects were removed to concentrate on Rochester (played by Nathaniel Parker). It deserved a better treatment.

I can certainly see Antoinette in either Nahema or Nirmala but really see her in some very natural fragrant oil created by Christophine!

Talking Re: The Splendidly Scented Ladies' Book Club

How about this - one character that is not fully explained is Antoinette/Bertha's mother. She's crazy, a white cockroach, ignored by everyone, poverty stricken, but manages to make quite an advantageous second marriage...now what did SHE wear? I would put my bets on Jolie Madame (I think she liked to ride, leather, etc.) plus she was one soignee,
    intelligent woman who managed things as well as possible for herself. While it lasted...

Didn't know that a movie had been made of WSS - will check out Netflix. This would be a difficult film to make I think and have it be true to the author.

As for Antoinette's "maman" - a wild lady from Martinique - wonder what would have been available in the early 19th century?

Thanks, guys, for these contributions - ain't we got fun??!! :bounce:

Anyway, for my exercise today, I chose this passage on Page 33 - in which Antoinette and her new stepfather are on their way home and he has stopped by the empty huts of the former slaves - he thinks they have gone off to a dance. Actually they have begun to form a hateful mob which will later besiege Coulibris, Antoinette's home, and there set a fire which will raze it.

"'We'll hear drums if there is a dance.' I hoped he'd ride on but he stayed by the huts to watch the sun go down, the sky and the sea were on fire when we left Bertrand Bay at last. From a long way off I saw the shadow of our house high up on its stone foundations. There was a smell of ferns and river water and I felt safe again, as if I were one of the righteous."

I wanted that ferny, fresh water smell (too bad I hadn't kept my first ex-husband's Canoe - don't have anything truly "fougere") but I have made do with Eau des Merveilles along arms/hands/wrists and Figue Amere on chest, neck and behind ears. Very satisfyinbut not quite the effect I wanted. Am getting citrus and figs and lots of green with a hint of brine! May add a little Un Jardin sur le Nil later on!!

Have to work full day today - precursor to VALENTINE'S DAY - second busiest day of the year for us florists!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Smile Re: The Splendidly Scented Ladies' Book Club

I am new to this board but have been a member of the Fragrance Board at MakeupAlley for quite some time. I just ordered the book Wide Sargasso Sea and look forward to joining in the discussion. This book was actually on my "To Do" list for some snowy winter evening reading! I look forward to meeting you all. LynetteB

Hi Lynette! Glad to have you join the club.

Welcome Lynette!! :bounce: WSS is a GREAT book for "snowy winter reading" - you will be instantly transported to steamy Caribbean climes and steamier Caribbean bedrooms!

I was up too early this ayem to conentrate on my frag selection and fell into Cabochard - a sumptuous old friend - alway tres elegante and tres chic. Perhaps what the snobby ladies in Spanish Town would have worn to put down Antoinettes "maman" before she married Mr. Mason!

SO look forward to what you all are thinking and doing.

Blog Entries

Wide Sargasso Sea - A Personal Olfactory Journey

Part 1: Childhood

Pg 4 Line 5: “Then one day, very early, I saw her horse lying down under the frangipani tree.”
    Major Notes: Sweet dead meat flesh, leather, tropical woody greenery (the tree), frangipani blooms.
    Perfumes / Combos:
    Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan + Chanel Cuir de Russie + Ava Luxe Kama Extreme (dead horse flesh)
    Gres Cabotine + Arran Aromatics After the Rain + Grenada Frangipani Absolu (the frangipani tree and the fresh tropical morning environment)
    Alternative Combos:
    Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan + Chanel Cuir de Russie + Mayfair Just Musk (dead horse flesh)
    Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan + Chanel Cuir de Russie + Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories (dead horse flesh)

Pg 4 Line 28: “Our garden was large and beautiful as the garden in the Bible – the tree of life grew there. But it had gone wild. The paths were overgrown and a smell of dead flowers mixed with the fresh living smell. Underneath the tree ferns, tall as forest tree ferns, the light was green. Orchids flourished out of reach or for some reason, not to be touched.”
    Major Notes: Dead flowers, fresh tropical greenery, ferns, Orchid blooms.
    Perfumes / Combos:
    Clinique Aromatics Elixir + Gres Cabotine + Arran Aromatics After the Rain (the over grown garden)
    Crown Perfumery Crown Fougere + Avon Naturals Wild Orchid (the ferns and taboo orchids)
    Alternative combos:
    Penhaligons English Fern + YSL Nu EDT (the ferns and taboo orchids)

Pg 5 Line 10: “My mother usually walked up and down the glacis, a paved roofed-in terrace which ran the length of the house and sloped upwards to a clump of bamboos. Standing by the bamboos she had a clear view of the sea, but anyone passing could stare at her.”
    Major Notes: Warm tropical ambience, fresh tropical greenery, bamboo, sea air, Annette Cosway (mother).
    Perfumes / Combos:
    Laura Biagiotti Roma + Gres Cabotine + LUSH Ginger (the over grown garden in the evening)
    Calvin Klein Truth + Montale Sandflowers (the bamboo with a sea view).
    Guerlain Mahora + LUSH Ginger (Annette Cosway, mother)
    Alternative combos:
    Il Profumo Nymphea + Montale Sandflowers (the bamboo with a sea view).
    LUSH Ginger + Chloe Narcisse (Annette Cosway, mother)

Pg6 Line 0: Cristophene (home help / ex slave / Obeah woman)
    Major Notes: Clean starched linen, musk, herbs.
    Perfumes / Combos:
    Cerruti 1881 pour Elle + Parfums Jamaica Khus Khus = Cristophene
    Alternative combos:
    Parfums Jamaica Khus Khus + LUSH Ginger + Nemat Egyptian Musk Superior
    Guerlain Vetiver + LUSH Ginger + Nemat Egyptian Musk Superior
    Cerruti 1881 pour Elle + Guerlain Vetiver
    Guerlain Vetiver + LUSH Ginger

Pg 7 Line 24: “When I was safely home I sat close to the old wall at the end of the garden. It was covered with green moss as soft as velvet and I never wanted to move again.”
    Major Notes: warm stone, velvety moss, green vegetation.
    Perfumes / Combos:
    Nemat Black Stone + Parfums Jamaica Khus Khus + Guerlain Parure
    Alternative combos:
    Arran Aromatics for Men (vetiver) + Guerlain Parure + Nemat Black Stone
    Parfums Jamaica Khus Khus + Clinique Aromatics Elixir + Nemat Black Stone
    Arran Aromatics for Men (vetiver) + Clinique Aromatics Elixir + Nemat Black Stone

Pg 8 Line 2: “I could not sleep, but I wasn’t quite awake as I lay in the shade by the pool – deep and dark green under the trees, brown green if it had rained, but a bright sparkling green in the sun. The water was so clear that you could see the pebbles at the bottom of the shallow part.”
    Major Notes: lush natural / wild tropical vegetation, shades of green from dark to light, sweet water.
    Perfumes / Combos:
    Il Profumo Nymphea + Parfums Jamaica Khus Khus + Gres Cabotine
    Alternative combos:
    Il Profumo Nymphea + Guerlain Vetiver + Gres Cabotine

Pg 19 Line 22: Aunt Cora (friend of Annette Cosway) “Just for a moment I shut eyes and rested my head against her shoulder. She smelled of vanilla, I remember.”
    Major Notes: (French) vanilla, musk, cloth.
    Perfumes / Combos:
    L’Artisan Vanillia + I Profumo de Firenze Vaniglia de Madagascar
    Alternative combos:
    L’Artisan Vanillia + Yves Rocher Vanille Bourbon
    L’Artisan Vanillia + Chopard Casmir

Pg 20 Line 27:I had not seen any flames, only smoke and sparks, but now I saw tall flames shooting up to the sky, for bamboos had caught. There were some tree ferns near, green and damp, one of those was smouldering too.”
    Major Notes: smoke, burning wood, green vegetation.
    Perfumes / Combos:
    Ava Luxe Fire Wood + Arran Aromatics for Men (vetiver) + Andy Tauer Lonestar Memories + Nemat Black Stone (Burning Coulibri Estate)

Pg 31 Line 2: Louise de Plana (fellow pupil at the convent). “Ah but Louise! Her small waist, her thin brown hands, her black curls which smelled of vetiver, her high sweet voice, singing so carelessly in Chapel about death.”
    Major Notes: vetiver, soft skin musk, soap.
    Perfumes / Combos:
    Parfums Jamaica Khus Khus + TBS Japanese Musk
    Alternative combos:
    Guerlain Vetiver + TBS Japanese Musk
    Liberty’s of London (Simply) Musk + TBS Japanese Musk + Parfums Jamaica Khus Khus
    Liberty’s of London (Simply) Musk + TBS Japanese Musk + Guerlain Vetiver

Pg 31 Line 25:This convent was my refuge, a place of sunshine and of death where very early in the morning the clap of a wooden signal woke the nine of us who slept in the long dormitory. […]The long brown room was full of gold sunlight and shadows of trees moving quietly.”
    Major Notes: green vegetation, soft incense, stone walls, polished wood.
    Perfumes / Combos:
    Etro Mahogany + Parfums Jamaica Khus Khus + Etro Messe de Minuit
    Alternative combos:
    Etro Mahogany + Guerlain Vetiver + Etro Messe de Minuit
    Etro Mahogany + Guerlain Vetiver Eau Friache + Etro Messe de Minuit
    Etro Mahogany + Guerlain Vetiver + Storer Monk
    Etro Mahogany + Parfums Jamaica Khus Khus + Storer Monk
    Etro Mahogany + Guerlain Vetiver Eau Friache + Storer Monk

Pg 32 Line 0:But I soon forgot about happiness, running down the stairsto the big stone bath where we splashed about wearing long grey cotton chemises which reached our ankles. The smell of soap as you caustiously soaped yourself under the chemise, a trick to be learned, dressing with modesty, another trick.”
    Major Notes: vetiver, sunshine, old incense, stone, soap.
    Perfumes / Combos:
    Parfums Jamaica Khus Khus + TBS Japanese Musk + Etro Messe de Minuit
    Alternative combos:
    Guerlain Vetiver + TBS Japanese Musk + Etro Messe de Minuit
    Nemat Black Stone + Thierry Mugler Cologne + Guerlain Vetiver
    Etro Messe de Minuit + Thierry Mugler Cologne + Parfums Jamaica Khus Khus
    Guerlain Vetiver + TBS Japanese Musk + Storer Monk
    Storer Monk + Thierry Mugler Cologne + Parfums Jamaica Khus Khus

Public Safety Warning:
    The recommended blends above are to be dabbed on lightly or 'pre-blended' then applied with wisdom. Asphixation by heavy handed or spritzed application is done at the wearers own peril. The author is not liable for injuries sustained (from passing out or being battered by angry bystanders) when recommend combos are applied in this manner. Thank you. :brolly:
    Last edited by moondeva; 8th March 2007 at 03:18 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Good Lord!!

Moondeva dearest, I wish I had you in my real-life Bookclub!!

Ladies, I will have to read this book again after all these years. The combination of your words and scents makes it now irresistable for me.

A big to you all!!
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Oh, so good to see this revival! :bounce: Had totally given up!

Thanks to Moondeva for the fab combos and for enticing our Dutch Dragon Lady into the den! :wave:

I had already sprayed generously from my sample of Putain des Palaces before coming downstairs to find this thread revivified - rather suitable to the spirit of Annette Cosway/Mason, "pretty like pretty self", as it turns out! PdP began as soft roses and violets with a hint of powder and has dried down to an amber-y animalic (I do that to some frags.) Maybe later I will add some Figue Amere to get vegetation and salt air.

I'm printing out Moondeva's combos and have at least two of her entries - on to page 44 and ferns and orchids, ginger, lilies and roses - jasmine and honeysuckle - and blood and tears.
    --------------------------------------
    Well, it didn't work out that way. Was so struck by Rochester's reflection on page 87 - a few days after he and Antoinette have arrived at Grandbois and are in the early stages of their devouring lust for each other. He has gone alone to the bathing pool: "It was a beautiful place - wild, untouched, above all untouched, with an alien, disturbing, secret loveliness. And it kept it's secret. I'd find myself thinking, 'What I see is nothing - I want what it hides - that is not nothing'".

So I've got Ava-luxe Lily on my left arm - and Kai on boobs and neck - and Blenheim Bouquet on my right arm. Roses and Gardenias - and cedar and herbs with a hint of English roses. Because when he finds what it hides - dense layers of complicated history - it destroys him and his passion for Antoinette. He takes her back to England where she reaches destruction ultimately. Or liberation - depending on how you look at it.

I find Rhys sympathetic to Rochester - further on she has him say - when he has realized that Antoinette has given him the love philtre supplied by Christophine - "She need not have done what she did to me. I will always swear to that. She need not have done it." ...he had begun to soften toward her.

I think it interesting that Rhys gave the Obeah woman the name of "Christophine" - a feminization of Christ.

So many layers to this fascinating book.

Hey you guys - what can I find for blood? Iron and salt and meat - sort of?
    Last edited by TaoLady; 19th February 2007 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

ll giardino esalava profumi untuosi, carnali e lievemente putridi come i liquami aromatici distillati dalle reliquie di certe sante; i garofanini sovrapponevano il loro odore pepato a quello protocollare delle rose ed a quello oleoso delle magnolie che si appesantivano negli angoli; e sotto sotto si avvertiva anche il profumo della menta misto aquello infantile della gaggia ed a quello confetturiero della mortella, e da oltre il muro l'agrumeto faceva straripare il sentore di alcova delle prime zagare.

Era un giardino per ciechi: la vista costantemente era offesa ma l'odorato poteva trarre da esso un piacere forte benche' non delicato. Le rose Paul Neyron erano degenerate si erano mutate in una sorta di cavoli color carne, osceni, ma che distillavano un denso aroma quasi turpe...Il Principe se ne pose una sotto il naso e gli sembro' di odorare la coscia di una ballerina dell'Opera.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2...6-28768274_ITM

Bellodgia -Musc Ravageur- Carnal Flowers- Joy- Rose Barbare- Rosa Flamenca
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Quote Originally Posted by nyneve View Post
    Welcome Nyneve and thanks for the link. Opened up whole new worlds for me! :bounce: (for anyone who cares to follow the link, it is an examination of the use of smell in the written art - sort of).

Was hoping your post might regenerate some interest in the SSLBC - let's see what happens!!

Moondeva, that was amazing. Your knowledge of scents is truly astounding. Thanks so much!
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Mind if I jump in? Do we just post as we read, or has an official "discussion date" been set?
    Last edited by julie-madam; 22nd April 2007 at 07:13 PM. Reason: hadn't read whole thread
    Julie C.

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."--Anais Nin

Quote Originally Posted by julie-madam View Post
    Mind if I jump in? Do we just post as we read, or has an official "discussion date" been set?
    Welcomewelcome ]ulie-Madam!! :wave:Sent you a pm on this.