Code of Conduct

Question Which Scent Do You Recognize Right Away On Just About Everyone... And *

Which Scent Can Smell Completely Different On Someone Else, And You Are Surprised When You Ask Them, What They Are Wearing?

For me, the one's I can recognize right away, everytime is: Shalimar, Prada, Aromatics Elixir, Pheromone, Obsession (even though I like it) Patchouli is extremely identifiable, Jovan Musk

The one's that I don't always recognize is- Light Blue, Amarige can smell similar on some, completely different on others, I don't ask people what they're wearing unless I really love it, so I don't know too many that I might not recognize.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 16th March 2007 at 05:34 AM. Reason: changed "u" into "you" ref: #8

Default Re: Which Scent Do U Recognize Right Away On Just About Everyone... And *

For the first part of the question, I do right away recognize when anyone wears Hypnotic Poison, Angel and Amarige...

I'm always surprised to hear when someone tells me they are wearing Samsara it does tend to smell a little differently on various people...
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Which Scent Do U Recognize Right Away On Just About Everyone... And *

I recognize Dolce & Gabanna PH every time. For some reason I have problems identifying Chrome on others, even though I wore it myself for a couple years.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

L'Eau par Kenzo, the awful cucumber juice which everyone seems to overwear because it's supposed to be so "light and inoffensive".

Angel is easy to spot but it still somehow smells slightly different on each wearer.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

I always recognize Chanel No.5 I have to agree with Tigrushka abiut Angel. I am always surprised at the varience from person to person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Angel and Lolita Lempicka, and Pink Sugar.

Post Thanks / Like

Samsara, it one I can spot from a distance and Angel also.

For one that smells totally different on another, Organza by Givenchy. I sometimes get someone wearing something lovely and asked what it is? Organza I have been told. Even on spills it smells lovely. But it hits my skin and becomes some strange sickly smell. A friend agreed with me, we where out and I tried some Organza on my wrist, her comment was that is awful!
    DONNA

Well I can always tell Coco Mademoiselle, Gucci Rush, Pink Sugar, Champagne (a coworker is obsessed w/it), Poison (and it's children), DK Cashmere Mist for starters.

The one that I can sometimes get and sometimes complete surprises me in Light Blue. My sister wears it, and I was surprised when I asked her what it was. Two ladies at my work wear it too, on one it smells like apples, on the other dried up papery yuck. I guess it's a chameleon.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a few that I can recognise immediately without much thought: RUSH, Angel, Coco Mademoiselle, Diorissimo, Byblos...
    I can spot Light Blue easily, but I am surprised that it seems to smell nice on everyone except myself.
    Kenzo Flower is another one which is way over worn by the ladies here in HK as if everyone has a bath tub full of this substance.

For the first question: Hypnotic Poison, Youth Dew and Obsession. For the second question, I've been surprised to hear that someone is wearing Ange ou Demon because on her it smelled like Alien to my nose.

Unhappy Re: Which Scent Do U Recognize Right Away On Just About Everyone... And *

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    There are a few that I can recognise immediately without much thought: RUSH, Angel, Coco Mademoiselle, Diorissimo, Byblos...
    I can spot Light Blue easily, but I am surprised that it seems to smell nice on everyone except myself.
    Kenzo Flower is another one which is way over worn by the ladies here in HK as if everyone has a bath tub full of this substance.
    You & others have mentioned Light Blue as smelling different on others, I think that's true. A salesgirl in Neiman Marcus was wearing it, and it smelled so rich & deep on her, so I bought it, and on me, it just smells like Apples in cedar. No richness or depth, like on that girl. A completely different scent on both of us.

I agree Shalimar is very recognizable, also Angel, Lolita Lempicka, and plenty of others that I smell on young women at my college. Some, I don't even know the names of, but vanilla/musky seems to be very popular - it might be a Victoria's Secret scent. It always strikes me as a very sexy scent to wear to classes, but I'm an old fogey so what do I know.

I also agree that Amarige can smell very different on different people. Angel, too, I was surprised to discover, can smell very different on a few lucky people (unrecognizable). But the one that surprised me most recently was my sister in law, who smelled so good, and when I asked her what fragrance she had on it was Liz Taylor's White Diamonds (!!). I have nothing against White Diamonds at all, even wore it myself years ago. But it was totally unrecognizable, very classically chypre'ish (to my chypre-confused nose). Who knew?

Post Thanks / Like

For the first question:Angel ,Hypnotic Poison and Chanel no 5.
    2nd question: Mitsouko,Dior Addict and Samsara.

Miracle by Lancome is the most easy one for me to recognize.

Post Thanks / Like

Tommy Girl and Giorgio Beverly Hills. Or are these too obvious?

Post Thanks / Like

Youth Dew, Bulgari Pour Femme, Armani Sensi, Emporio Armani She, D&G Feminine, JPG Classique, Oscar by Oscar De La Renta, Poison, Gucci Rush - are some which easily recognisable to me. FlowerbyKenzo is one fragrance which smells the same on everyone I have met wearing it. That's only about six people by the way but it is a very distinctive fragrance. Angel, although recognisable, does vary quite a bit from person to person. I have a friend who wears it on a regular basis and it can be quite changeable on her too. Sometimes during my working day I will meet women who are wearing fabulous scents which smell wonderful on them and I can guess they might be Guerlains or Estee Lauders but can't tell which ones for sure. I think Guerlain and Estee Lauder both have there own house style sillage, if that makes any sense to you! There are a couple of Guerlains which might be workable for me but I can't wear Estee Lauder fragrances at all.

Angel, Youth Dew, Amarige and Opium are always very recognizable to me, probably as they are ubiquitous.

I have harder time with newer scents. I can usually spot Guerlains and Chanels...can't always distinguish among the fruity floral genre

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly Dagger View Post
    Which Scent Can Smell Completely Different On Someone Else, And You Are Surprised When You Ask Them, What They Are Wearing?
    I nearly always recognise Angel, as most people apparently believe that a crop-duster is the instrument of choice for its application.

Most other fragrances are more hit-or-miss, recognitionwise, for me.

Angel and Opium.

Angel is one.....Flower Bomb is my Fave.....Oh My!!!!!!! Another is Aromatics Elixir (Sorry....I do not like this at all).
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I can always tell Marc Jacobs - gardenia gardenia gardenia. Bulgari Omnia surprised me on a friend recently, it smells really lovely on her and quite poor on me, and the reverse was true for Omnia Crystalline!

Default Re: Which Scent Do You Recognize Right Away On Just About Everyone... And *

It can be fun now to try guessing what others are wearing and there are so, so many now that are easy to pick out because not that many people are into niche or hard to place fragrances. Angel, Hanae Mori, Jolie Madame, Chanel no. 5, Shalimar are sure bets. I have these myself and they don't seem to change that much from one person to another.

Default Re: Which Scent Do You Recognize Right Away On Just About Everyone... And *

Juicy coutoure and With Love... Hilary duff are totally recognizable from like across the room!

Post Thanks / Like

Oldies: Giorgio mmmm....
    Obsession hmmmm......
    Cinnabar - gack.......
    White Shoulders

New-ish: Angel; Tom Ford's new orchid which should be named Truffle; Flowerbomb
    MsTikl says: Indulge!

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriousmongoose View Post
    I nearly always recognise Angel, as most people apparently believe that a crop-duster is the instrument of choice for its application.
    Why is that?!? I can always recognize Angel, and women seem to have bathed in the stuff. There was a girl I sat next to in an English class who always wore Angel. At first, I liked it, but after about 10 minutes it's 'foodie' elements were making me ill. Even on the other side of the room I could smell it!

Post Thanks / Like

I can recognize Shalimar, and Chanel #5, and White Shoulders, and Chloe, and Lauren, and Devon Violets and Tea Rose.

I thought I could recognize Musc Ravageur, because I first smelled it on my sister a year or more ago and recognised it on her after not smelling it for over a year. ( she wears a lot of different scents)
    I bought a decant and it smells completely different on me!

Coco Mademoiselle, Angel, Hypnotic Poison
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I can always spot JLo Glow, and White Linen, and the older fragrances that I had years to get to know...Amarige, Estee Lauder Beautiful, and Ysatis. Also, Eau de Cartier - very distinctive, and although it does smell different on different people, the unique, sharpness gives it away every time. Bulgari Omnia is a fragrance I wear, and love, and that one is quite distinctive too. Hits the air with a thud, that one.

The one that tends to change and surprises me, is JPG Classique. Smells like a totally different fragrance on my daughter.
    Last edited by Clemmie; 22nd April 2007 at 03:01 PM.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I am very good at recognising most 'mainstream' fragrances, today in the supermarket I identified the following:

Anais Anais - This smelt very good on the lady in question
    Tommy Girl
    Chanel No5
    Estee Lauder Private Collection, (I then thought I'd have a spray of mine soon, I haven't worn it for a while)
    Chanel 'Chance' - It took me a few months to distinguish between Coco Mademoiselle and this, I can now tell the difference immediately.

Other fragrance I can easily spot are Gucci Rush, Miss Dior, Angel, Poison, Giorgio, Opium, Coco, Very Irresistible, Eau Dynamisante, Miracle and it's younger sisters, Tresor, Lovely, Paris, Chanel No19, most Guerlains, Aromatics Elixir, Aqua Di Parma, all Calvin Kleins, all Estee Lauders..... etc etc, the list goes on and on.

NB I actually got an imaginary whiff of each of these as I typed their names.

I'm still trying to think of one for the second question.... nothing springs to mind at the moment.

Great question, by the way!!
    Never judge anyone until you have walked a mile in their shoes