Code of Conduct

Default A Grand Odyssey: Sniffing at Macy's

I was able to spend a few minutes spritzing a bunch of perfumes onto appropriately-labeled strips of paper yesterday. I suppose I looked like a freak of nature as I quickly walked from bottle to bottle, strips of white paper sticking out of my hands arrayed in a star-pattern almost like I'd sprouted new digits or something.

I didn't care, of course, and continued on my way, getting the strangest looks. Luckily, there were no SAs around to stop my pilgrim's progress so I was able to spray the following:
    • Chanel Pour Monsieur
    • Boucheron Jaipur Pour Homme
    • Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme
    • Boucheron Pour Homme
    • Vera Wang for Men
    • Givenchy Pi
    • Givenchy Very Irresistible
    • Polo Double Black
    • Sean John Unforgivable
    Then, I walked out of the store and found a suitable seating bench, and because the missus was shopping, I knew I had oodles of time to spend sniffing each one.

My impressions:

Chanel Pour Homme is a classic sophisticate! Love this one and instantly shoots to near the top of my wishlist. Five stars

Boucheron Pour Homme reminds me of soap, something Irish Spring-y about it. I recognize it's a well-crafted scent, but not for me. Three stars.

Boucheron Jaipur Pour Homme is a stunner. Sweet powder pervades it and I just love it! Which is no wonder since it reminds me of Burberry Brit. Four stars.

Givenchy Pi is unique. I don't think I've smelled anything quite like it and of course, being that I like unique, I love pi! This is actually delicious ... yes folks, so yummy I want to eat it. Four and a half stars.

Sean John Unforgivable is surprisingly good. I thought that the first time I smelled it, but I wanted to confirm my "suspicions"; I am not a fan of P-Diddlyhead or whatever he's calling himself these days so I approached this one with some trepidation. I'm happy to report I will be able to forgive Diddlyhead for Unforgivable after all: three and a half stars.

Givenchy Very Irresistible is also good. While it didn't blow me away, I couldn't find anything I disliked enough to toss it. It's notes can be jarring, but I like it even more because of that, I believe perfume should be "interesting", not in the usual "Oh my god, what is that smell?" accompanied by one of these faces () kind of way, but "h'm, I wonder what that guy's wearing, I'd like to move in closer for another sniff" hopefully uttered by Alessandra Ambrosia or my wife (either one's good! )
    VI is interesting like that, so three and a half stars.

Vera Wang For Men is sweet; a sweet, fruity tobacco that reminds me of Baldessarini. I like it, it's well made but a bit derivative. Three and a half stars, and would be four if I'm convinced of its longevity, which I'm not.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme. This one threw me for a loop! I've smelled D&G PH in one form (magazine strip) or another (paper strip) and on one person or another for a long time, you'd think I'd be used to it by now. No sir! It may have been my burgeoning head cold, but wowee, love this one. Shot into my wishlist for sure, and since I was surprised when I thought I shouldn't be, kudos to D&G: five stars!

Ralph Lauren Polo Double Black: quality scent, reminds one of my friends of sex (she said so at a Christmas party and with enough feeling that I spied some of the male attendees scribbling the name down on pieces of paper!); such a review by a member of the opposite sex clinched it for me: four stars. Love the almost acrid smell of the unripe mango (is it mango?) notes.

Well, that's it, my grand odyssey and the results. I really should stay away from fragrance counters: they make me look weird to the rest of humanity and my wallet will be singing a mournful tune before too long. So this is what a crack addict feels?
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Default Re: A Grand Odyssey: Sniffing at Macy's

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme. This one threw me for a loop! I've smelled D&G PH in one form (magazine strip) or another (paper strip) and on one person or another for a long time, you'd think I'd be used to it by now. No sir! It may have been my burgeoning head cold, but wowee, love this one. Shot into my wishlist for sure, and since I was surprised when I thought I shouldn't be, kudos to D&G: five stars!
    I fell head-over-heels for this one on the first try. Did you try it on skin or just paper? The drydown is FANTASTIC, and positively REEKS masculinity IMO. I've not smelled it on anyone else yet, but I KNOW it's a big seller here. Many SAs have told me so, at least. I don't care though; this one still gets regular play from me.

Paul
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

Does anyone else think that Burberry for Men smells like D&G PH? Burberry has a more citrusy opening than D&G, but on the drydown, they smell so similar, with just slight differences giving D&G the edge. I like this one too, and I picked out Double Black for my friend Blake, a self proclaimed non cologne wearer turned after an unwanted bottle of Swiss Army and this pick. Despite my aversion to Chocolate as a note, G VI appeals to me far more than any other Gourmand I've ever smelled (Including A*Men (Such a cool name though... A*Men)), just not enough to wear it. I am also a rabid fan of Chanel pour Monsieur (The concentree is the only way to go), a gift from my sister. Congrats on the successful trip, I had one not so successful trip recently, and I went back and found L'Instant Guerlain, making it an oh so successful trip. Cheers!
    - Rich
    Last edited by _R$_; 8th January 2007 at 03:27 AM.

Great review. From your list I will have to give a few of them that I have never tested a try. Especially the Chanel. I have the D&G and think it is great.

I forgot two!

Chanel Allure Homme Sport is a good, refreshing fragrance, but it's middling; I seem to have smelled derivates of the same notes in many other fragrances as well as in AHS. This is a good office/day/gym scent, a no-brainer type. Three stars.

Kenneth Cole Thermal Reaction completely breaks out of the Cole Doldrums, which is the term I use to describe nearly everything Kenneth Cole puts out for fragrances. This one easily has the most character while still retaining that "skin deep" characteristic which turns me off the other Cole scents, a pretty nice combination. For that, it gets a three and a half stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsibility
    I fell head-over-heels for this one on the first try. Did you try it on skin or just paper? Paul
    Both. I was wearing Tauer's L'Air {spit! } and that pretty much overwhelmed anything I could have smelled so I didn't get that marvelous drydown I know is in there somewhere.

I used to do it a lot but smelling perfume on paper is frustrating and deceptive. You can make room for at least ten or twelve on your skin and spend the day letting them transform (or not). It allows for all sorts of surprises.

Agreed, Pluran; I've also tried performing the olfactory juggling act you described as well, it never turned out right. I smelled like a beet sugar factory after a while!

Besides, have you read Gaius Iulius Caesar's latest thread? :-)