Code of Conduct

Default My Silver Mountain Water is real - but is it FUNKY?!

So the basnoters certified my SMW bottle from photos - but from reading old threads, but even though it's genuine, I'm wondering if it's turned into genu-wine - i.e. I'm thinking this stuff has gotten old and funky. But not like James Brown.

It doesn't smell like warm creamy blackcurrant tea to me. It smells a little like tea that's been fermented into wine. One reviewer on basenotes page said it smells like used teabags under your armpits and that's sounds sort of accurate. I got a couple of compliments on it, but I'm not crazy about it myself. Blackcurrant is definitely not the predominant note here. At first I thought it was fake, but now I just think maybe it's just turned over in its grave. Can't return it, I bought it used on ebay. This is what I get for buying everything blind!

However, the only other Creed I've ever smelled was Jasmal, a women's Jasmine and Rose fragrance, and it had the same kind of funky smell, but it worked better in that fragrance. Is this the Creed "house note" people always talk about? Or is this what happens when Creed turns into alligator wine? Help me out here!

Old Threads:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=169450

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=175408
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 8th January 2007 at 09:39 AM.

Default Re: My Silver Mountain Water is real - but is it FUNKY?!

Silver Mountain Water reminded me strongly of the sharp smell in my dad's freshly washed wine vats.
    I guess not too many Basenoters have experience with traditional winemaking, as none have ever either agreed or disagreed with me.
    Renato

Yup it's supposed to smell that way...

Maybe you should go to an official Creed dealer and sample it there, to compare. Maybe yours is old stock (well, that option doesn't count if you really believe that story that Creeds "age" like wine, ..) or in bad condition. By the way, I don't have a bottle anymore, but I do like SMW.
    Last edited by eric; 8th January 2007 at 11:06 AM.

I just received my first bottle of SMW on Saturday. I bought it blind based on BN recommendations as a must have in the wardrobe - and the price was too good to pass up.
    I must say I was shocked by the ultra-prominent black currant notes that last and last. I find it very light and aquatic- i'm not getting much tea though. By the end of the day I was loving it. This scent does take some getting used to, as many have stated. I was going to wear it for a few days straight, but I threw on a black suit today that had Egoiste written all over it.
    I will continue to wear it and will continue to add more Creeds to the wardrobe (Himalaya & MI are next). The wife told me that she liked the SMW, and that's a rarity. I told her that she is more than welcome to it ! Perfumes give her migranes. I'm hoping that some of the unisex scents will be better for her.

For a moment, I thought Caes' epilepsy had returned and he expected SMW to be dancing. :-)
    As Xen says, it's supposed to smell funky.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Quote Originally Posted by ifconfig
    For a moment, I thought Caes' epilepsy had returned and he expected SMW to be dancing. :-)
    As Xen says, it's supposed to smell funky.
    No, thankfully my delirium has passed. Apollo has freed me of the morbus. Speaking of which has anyone seen that incredible tv series Rome? THe HBO/BBC joint effort?

So I'm assuming this is what it's supposed to smell like. I'll try to find some in the store to confirm, though I don't know where they stock creeds locally.

I was hoping for more blackcurrant/berry. I think it's the citrus that ruins it for me. I never liked lemon in my tea.

This said, I don't hate it, and anyways, some of my favourites, I started out hating. That's why I like to buy blind. I usually have a conservative disgusted reaction to most new things, and it takes a few days for my paradigms to shift. Some things are just gross though.

SMW is a fragrance whose juice varies from batch to batch - in some samples I noticed that the blackcurrant note was quite heavy, thus making it smell too sweet. I tried it recently at Saks, and the tea-blackcurrant notes were perfectly balanced and it smelled fantastic. It seems that the SMW shower gels always contain the perfect balance of notes.

Eitherways, as others have said, try heading down to your local neiman-marcus or Saks if you want a more thorough comparison.
    -

Thanks. Maybe I have one of those well balanced ones - I want more blackcurrant! Anyways, I'm sure I'll either grow to love it or swap it.

No Neiman Marcus or Saks here. Anyone knows if anyone sells creed in Montreal? Holt Renfrew?

And also to confirm: so you people wouldn't call SMW an "easy to please for everyone" scent? It's more of a refined schnozz/aqcuired taste?

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR
    And also to confirm: so you people wouldn't call SMW an "easy to please for everyone" scent? It's more of a refined schnozz/aqcuired taste?
    I find it to be a very "easy to please for everyone". While of course no scent is for everyone, SMW scores at least as high as most "pleasant" mainstream/designer scents when I test it with nonfragrance-ophiles. Personally, as far as compliments and general reaction, SMW towers above all my other scents, with the exception of Geir, the undisputed king in my world on that count, and my wardrobe contains quite a few of those more pleasing designer scents. I definitely haven't learned towards "acquired tastes" (yet).
    Last edited by CM Wolff; 8th January 2007 at 09:42 PM.

But it is a like it or not scent. It is one of very few creeds which I don't like much.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    But it is a like it or not scent. It is one of very few creeds which I don't like much.
    Try the shower gel - and then try to get a bottle which smells like that. Thats the real SMW.
    -

Cool Re: My Silver Mountain Water is real - but is it FUNKY?!

I had this one on my blind buy list. all the good reviews. instead I got myself a sample. ink jet cartridge ,ink pens was what it reminds me of. the more I wear it , the more I understand it. so as of today, its nice and classy but not so great as I have read, but much respect for smw. its just not my cup of tea

Benjamin*

Your SMW is very likely a fake if you've gotten is from a seller name double_value. There are a number of accusations in his negative feedback regarding fakes. He's also claims that his sale of GIT to a Canadian was not fake: that Green Frich Tweed is how it's sold in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR
    I was hoping for more blackcurrant/berry. I think it's the citrus that ruins it for me. I never liked lemon in my tea.

Wow, to my nose I didnt think they could fit anymore Blackcurrent in SMW. Very pronounced...
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

UPDATE: So after an ambiguous start (which is how I usually feel about anything I'm not used to) I now officially love this fragrance. Whoever said "inky" found the right adjective, but I love it nonetheless. Very very smooth, this stuff.

Still don't find the blackcurrant as pronounced as other to like Words, but hey, I like it.

Isn't it strange how all of a sudden it happens that after a couple of wearings your brain starts to make sense of the information your nose is giving it? I find it's the same with new kinds of music.

I'm also a big fan of the Creed spray mechanism. Total control over how much you use, and it projects a wide, fine mist.

Thanks for all the input.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=

I'm also a big fan of the Creed spray mechanism. Total control over how much you use, and it projects a wide, fine mist.

Thanks for all the input.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that!

I find the Creed spray mechanism perfect for metering that spray down to a 1/2 or even 1/4 of a full spray misting, which for me is just right on occasion.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell