Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default 51-year old smells her first violet!

As some of my old cronies here will remember, I have some olfactory handicaps. I didn't even know violets, iris, narcissus, honeysuckle or lilies (except lily-of-the-valley) had any scent until I began reading fragrance reviews. Needless to say, I've been missing elements from countless fragrances--most regrettably Jolie Madame and Violetta di Parma. [Aw, poor baby. ]

But today, thanks to a sample someone sent as an "extra," a particular formulation has given me a glimpse of that little flower, the violet. For me, the scent doesn't last much longer than it takes to go from wet to dry on my skin, yet I know that faintly sweet, cold and natural odor must be it. And the frag that delivered this micro-experience? Serge Lutens Bois de Violette.

I share my stories here about being "sensorially challenged" so we can all better understand the depth (or shallowness) of the smelling experience. It's especially interesting to contemplate the molecular events that succeed (or fail) in delivering particular odors to each of us.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

Default Re: 51-year old smells her first violet!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

But the more important thing is - did you like it?!

Have you tried more violet / orris dominated blends to see how your nose 'registers' violets, to better help you recognise them in more complex blends?

I am thinking perfumes like Guerlain Les Meteorites and L'Aromarine Violette would help you to discern the violet's kiss in Jolie Madame and YSL Paris. Just a thought - I am sure you must have tried something like that already...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

This 52 year old likes Insolence by Guerlain. It has violet.

Several samples arrived in the mail today. It looks like I am not going to like Gap Grass, but I do like SJP Lovely and Vera Wang Princess.

congratulations, quarry! violet is a note i'm not sure about yet. i loved caron's violette precieuse when i tried a little sample. have you ever had violet candies?

i have a similar problem with iris. people's descriptions of it ("powdery, metallic") make me think i won't like it, but i just have no idea what it smells like.

when spring comes, i'm heading out to the nearest botanical garden and sticking my nose into some flowers (with notebook in hand, of course).
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quinpus
    i have a similar problem with iris. people's descriptions of it ("powdery, metallic") make me think i won't like it, but i just have no idea what it smells like.

when spring comes, i'm heading out to the nearest botanical garden and sticking my nose into some flowers (with notebook in hand, of course).
    Save yourself a trip and get samples of three perfumes : Hermes Hiris, Dior Homme, and Serge Lutens Irish Silver Mist.

These three will give you a quick intensive course in the expression of Iris in perfumes. Serge Lutens Irish Silver Mist is the most earthy, rooty metallic rendition of Iris I have ever smelled. Just like they took the root, shook off most, but not all of the soil and stuck it in the bottle! Hermes Hiris is earthy and true too but is fresh,green and floral, much more like a bloom in a garden then the dank tuberous root. The iris in Dior Homme is great but much more of the 'candied' variety. In this blend you also get the shadow of violet that allows perfumers to use this to expand / strengthen the delicate violet note in a fragrance.

These three are not definitive but they do give you a shorthand crash course in the beauty of Iris in perfumery.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I had to look up the correct spelling of

Hallelujah

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quinpus
    have you ever had violet candies?
    I've not, but I see people often mentioning them in comparison with violet frags. I guess I'll just have to hit the gourmet candy store when I visit the mall with the Sephora store. (Candy and perfumes, what's not to like?)

I couldn't get enough of the violet from the BdV to say that I was attracted to the scent. Within minutes, Feminite du Bois filled my consciousness as the BdV "bois" qualities emerged.

At a recent party, a guest showed us some soaps my friend had brought back from Italy. One was Santa Maria Novella iris soap. I sucked down the 8 cubic feet of air surrounding that bar of soap and ... not a molecule of scent. I handed the bar to another friend and implored, "Nancy, be my nose. Tell me what you smell. Does it smell metallic?"

"Oh, it's earthy," she replied. She nailed the term often applied to iris scents, so I knew the bar was truly fragrant--just unscented in my universe. (Note: Nancy had a chunk of her brain removed last year, and she can still smell and spell better than I, for which I continually rejoice, especially as she remains cancer-free.)
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Congratulations to you, Quarry (and to your friend Nancy, too!) on your breakthrough! Wanna test Henri Berdoues Violettes de Toulouse? Besides Meteorites, you might also check Mystere de Rochas now.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf
    Congratulations to you, Quarry (and to your friend Nancy, too!) on your breakthrough! Wanna test Henri Berdoues Violettes de Toulouse? Besides Meteorites, you might also check Mystere de Rochas now.
    You're such a doll, Twolf. Meteorites was as pure water to my nose . Unless VdT is violets to the tenth power, it may be wasted on me. I'm more hopeful the candies will either radiate a smell or maybe register on my tastebuds into something I can translate into fragrance.

I think flowers are the hardest notes to learn. At first all a person can say is, "I smell some kind of flower." So, don't feel alone if you took some time to learn them, so have I.
    Jean Patou 1000 has a nice violet in it.
    That sample of Unicorn Spell had violets galore, but it was more leaf than flower.