Code of Conduct

Angry What kind of "Mademoiselle" did I buy?

Dear everyone,

I am brand new to the forum. I have found it as a result of my recent research into the world of perfume, given that I have been experiencing all sorts of disappointments with the fragrances purchased over the years.
    I am hoping that some people will be able to help me out here with some opinions.

In a nutshell, fragrances don't seem to last on me.
    Until recently, I have leaned towards the citrusy, light, suave perfumes not realizing that this type of fragrance goes away the quickest, even if they smell so pleasent at first.

It bothers me to no end to pay so much money on perfume only to spray it on and have it vanish in an hour or so. At first, I thought that maybe my sense of smell was deficient and that my nose gets used to the fragrance too soon after I apply it. But I don't think this is the case as I have asked other people whether they smell anything on me and they said "no, not really" or "barely" - and I apply more than enough!

Later I tried to find specific ways to apply to make perfume last longer. I have done everything by the book, have even layered with the acompanying (and equally expensive) lotion but the result is still not what I would like.

Until my sister suggested that I should probably stick to oriental, heavier perfumes even during the day, as those are the only ones that last on her too.
    She believes that we may have a "stronger" body chemistry that requires stronger perfumes. Her absolute favorite is Obssession by Calvin Klein and she says that she would not wear anything else other than a heavy, sexy oriental, day or evening, not only because she finds the light, citrusy stuff as too mainstream and puritanical, but also because those are the only ones that last on her too.

So I decided to get bolder and after millions of sniffings I concluded that Coco Mademoiselle Chanel was THE ONE AND ONLY (though, yes - still a bit of citrus in it but I really thought it was strong enough).
    I tried it on with testers from department stores and not only did it smell beautiful, but finally it seemed to be strong enough to last. My husband even told me that it was overpowering when I would get in the car.
    I would even wake up the next day and still smell traces of it.

So I put it on my Christmas Wish List and my husband purchased it from an online, apparently reputable store, for the regular price (maybe 10 dollars less).

Well...guess what? I can SWEAR that the bottle I now own is 100 times less potent than the testers from the department stores. After one hour is almost gone. It's bare, it's weak, it's not the "splash" or "statement" I was looking for. Now when I ask my husband whether he can smell it, he says "barely" and he has to burry his nose in my neck to get anything.

WHAT IN THE WORLD?...AGAIN???

Could it be that the bottle was old? Counterfeit?
    Then I went again and tried the testers from department stores to compare with what I have, and now even those don't seem as "statement-y" or "splashy" as I used to think they were...

What am I doing wrong?

I have decided to forget that darn citrus, suave thing altogether and just go with a heavy weight like Dior Addict! Or YOU NAME ME something worth trying that would stay on and still smell like perfume and not a biological bomb.
    I am so tired of spending on perfume and still smelling like nothing.

Thank you so much,

syracusa

Default Re: What kind of "Mademoiselle" did I buy?

Welcome to Basenotes, syracusa! I hope you will enjoy it here!

I can´t explain why Coco mademoiselle did this to you, I´m afraid. Perhaps you will find it strong enough in the summer, so save the bottle!

Dior Addict is a great fraganse, why not go for it? If you find it too weak, there are even heavier ones.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Hi Syracusa,

I had a very similar problem with citrusy scents and Coco Mdme. The only scent that I had incredible success was Bond 9 Chinatown. It is unique and suitable for day or night and you will smell divine! If you can sample it, please try...every time I've suggested it, it became an instant favorite.

Enjoy your journey!

Parisa

I find that I'm having the same problem with longeity as you I do have quite fair skin, and someone says that kind of skintypes "takes"the scents less. I also have quite dry skin sometimes,and that might explain why some scents doesn't seem to last on me.Like your sister I prefer orientals, not sure if it's because they last longer,but orientals don'r fade so quickly on me. May I suggets that you try edp or parfume in strength?Maybe that will work better?It does for me at least.Hope you figure this out!
    Currently wearing: Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by syracusa
    It bothers me to no end to pay so much money on perfume only to spray it on and have it vanish in an hour or so. At first, I thought that maybe my sense of smell was deficient and that my nose gets used to the fragrance too soon after I apply it. But I don't think this is the case as I have asked other people whether they smell anything on me and they said "no, not really" or "barely" - and I apply more than enough!
    I can sympathize! To salvage the fragrances you already own, you might try wearing them over a application of pure Jojoba oil -- it's not a cure-all, but I'm finding that it helps with longevity most of the time.

If you want something with incredible staying power I highly recommend Guerlain Samsara. I can even smell it after 24 hours and a shower!

Quote Originally Posted by coumarin
    I can sympathize! To salvage the fragrances you already own, you might try wearing them over a application of pure Jojoba oil -- it's not a cure-all, but I'm finding that it helps with longevity most of the time.
    Welcome to Base Notes! :bounce: You'll find a lot of loving help here - and the courage to keep on experimenting! (You wouldn't be here if you didn't love frags!!)

I am 'of an age' have dry skin and perhaps slightly diminished perception so I can relate to your problem. The jojoba RULLY works - http://jojobaking.com/ is a resource if you don't have a handy health food store.

Another suggestion: check out the wardrobes of some of the frequent BNers and see how THEY rate frags for longevity. Here's mine: Wardrobe

And collect samples.

Keep in touch! :wave:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by parisa
    Hi Syracusa,

I had a very similar problem with citrusy scents and Coco Mdme. The only scent that I had incredible success was Bond 9 Chinatown. It is unique and suitable for day or night and you will smell divine! If you can sample it, please try...every time I've suggested it, it became an instant favorite.

Enjoy your journey!

Parisa

Hi Parisa,

I just came from Saks where I was randomly given this very fragrance to sample. I had no idea about it. The guy presented two scents to me - this one and Nuit de Noho because I think I asked him to show me whatever he had in the way of Orientals/evening/strong/intense/"Hello I have perfume on -how about someone notices that?"!

So he showed me the two separately and then he mixed the two and formed a third perfume with these two put together.
    Tomorrow I am going to use the Chinatown sample and will get back to you at the end of the day.
    Hey..maybe I am on my way to figuring out perfumes. Thank you for helping me out.

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes
    I find that I'm having the same problem with longeity as you I do have quite fair skin, and someone says that kind of skintypes "takes"the scents less. I also have quite dry skin sometimes,and that might explain why some scents doesn't seem to last on me.Like your sister I prefer orientals, not sure if it's because they last longer,but orientals don'r fade so quickly on me. May I suggets that you try edp or parfume in strength?Maybe that will work better?It does for me at least.Hope you figure this out!

Hmm, this is interesting - especially that I too have read the theory that fair people tend to have drier skin and therefore fragrances last less on them.

I am anything but fair - I have dark brown/almost black hair and olive skin, but it is true that I also have relatively dry skin. But for whatever reason I had always believed that the light, citrusy scents are suited for blond, fairy-type women...because their entire presence is "lighter". Lighter bone structure, thin skin...I thought that "lighter" fragrances would also suit them.
    Then why else would Oriental people wear...well...Orientals?
    It is still quite the mystery.

But it has probably to do with how dry the skin is not so much with its color. I have applied cream and/or lotion but not much happened.

Besides, I think that my understanding of perfumes was pretty deficient too. I don't think I was fully aware that a citrusy scents can never be as penetrating and long lasting as an oriental. I was under the impression that as long as it was good quality and not a counterfeit, a citrusy, suave scent could go as long as anything else.
    I was obviously wrong.
    Last edited by syracusa; 9th January 2007 at 02:53 AM.

...And thank you so much everyone else for the warm welcome. You are all very sweet and "orientals" (these perfumes smell warm to me).

I definitely adore perfumes. I have always dreamt of smelling like those ladies that exude sophistication and warmth when you get reasonably close to them - but without having to invite people to burry their noses in my neck. : )

My problem seems to have been a lack of clear knowledge about specific perfume categories. I am sure I will get better here.
    Any other strong recommendations (like Samsara and Bond Chinatown) are welcome, because I want to put together a concrete list with a few good options and then go hunt with a map and directions in my hands.

Thank you so much again,

syracusa

Quote Originally Posted by parisa
    Hi Syracusa,

Enjoy your journey!

Parisa
    I just tried a bit of Chinatown now - you know what it reminds me of?...
    Chanel #5.
    Or mabe it's just me, after all I am no expert. It's beautiful though, I can't wait to see how it performs tomorrow when I will apply properly in the morning.

syracusa,

i got married with chanel coco mademoisselle last Dec. 2006. It is the fragrance that ive setteled for and i've already married coco mad.

Coco mad comes in EDP and EDT ( i have both ) Your husband may have bought the EDT. They have differences in notes composition. EDT has base borbon Vanilla while the EDP has base of Patchoulli, much stronger ang longer lasting.

You may want to check osmoz.com.

Welcome to Basenotes!
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by ninamichaela
    syracusa,

i got married with chanel coco mademoisselle last Dec. 2006. It is the fragrance that ive setteled for and i've already married coco mad.

Coco mad comes in EDP and EDT ( i have both ) Your husband may have bought the EDT. They have differences in notes composition. EDT has base borbon Vanilla while the EDP has base of Patchoulli, much stronger ang longer lasting.

You may want to check osmoz.com.

Welcome to Basenotes!
    The Mademoiselle my husband bought is the EDP. Still very light and not at all lasting on me, unfortunately.
    However, you must have been a divine bride because I really love the Mdme smell it's just that it does not last on me.

Default Re: Chinatown

I have had Bond Chinatown on since this morning at 7:30pm.
    It is now noon and I can still smell it strongly all over me.
    I applied very little too.

But then again, to quote my sister, "for the money - I hope it does all sorts of other things to me, not just smell good and last long".

Could this be the secret to long-lasting perfumes?
    Pay a lot for a bottle? ...

Hmmm...

Ehm............did your husband make purchase from really credible source? There are many fakes especially of Chanel, typically fading away very quickly. I guess Chanel is most frequent subject of making fakes and selling them here and there, yes mostly on Ebay. However, it could have emerged on other outlets as well.
    I had Coco Mlle EdT and everyone could smell it around me. I have fair skin and dark hair, rather dry.
    Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alicka61
    Ehm............did your husband make purchase from really credible source? There are many fakes especially of Chanel, typically fading away very quickly. I guess Chanel is most frequent subject of making fakes and selling them here and there, yes mostly on Ebay. However, it could have emerged on other outlets as well.
    I had Coco Mlle EdT and everyone could smell it around me. I have fair skin and dark hair, rather dry.
    Think about it.
    It certainly crossed my mind. The purchase came from Midtown perfumes. They seemed legit, price was just a tad less expensive than the department stores. But then, I tried again the testers from department stores and they were not much different from what I own. The effect is just no longer what it used to be when I first became aware of this perfume.

I think my body chemistry is pushing me towards stronger, more oriental perfumes - although Mademoiselle is labeled as an oriental too.

As I said earlier, I have Bond 9 - Chinatown on right now (a sample) and OMG, it's after noon and it is going strong since 7:30am!! And I applied much, much less than I normally apply Mademoiselle.

My next trials will be Samsara, Shalimar, Rochas Femmes - the classic strong orientals. I could of course opt for Chinatown (it is the statement I am looking for) but the price makes me continue my search.
    It's way too much to adopt it as a signature perfume.

Syracusa,
    I have noticed for a few times that testers smell stronger and sometimes better, more profound than regular packings. Maybe that´s intention - it would refer to a good marketing strategy to make people to buy scents. The same issue is with e.g. lipsticks - testers are slightly different from regular product. Interesting but not impossible.

Syracusa, I had the same problem with the Sensual Elixir No.5...my sample was divine, strong & long lasting but my full brand-new bottle seems to fade within 2 hours It's very disappointing!

Syracusa,
    I have noticed for a few times that testers smell stronger and sometimes better, more profound than regular packings. Maybe that´s intention - it would refer to a good marketing strategy to make people to buy scents. The same issue is with e.g. lipsticks - testers are slightly different from regular product. Interesting but not impossible.
    Alicka, both my husband and I have to agree with you on that conclusion; this is why we usually prefer to and seek out to by testers. They just do smell better and longer...

A few other long-lasting fragrances you might want to try are
    Allure Sensuelle, Prada, Amarige, Eden, Burberry Brit, Euphoria to name a few.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Syracusa,
    interesting, my other brother who works in the middle east just shared with me last week that testers last longer and that's all they ever buy over there, i disagreed and said they just the same with the regular bottles.

I love testers and i might just be on the right track.

Syracusa, if you can try to get a hold of Coco Mad Edp in 35ml Tester (that's waht i bought BF gave me a 50ml EDT) it would be worth another try,some reputable online store sell testers as well. Right guys?
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by ninamichaela
    interesting, my other brother who works in the middle east just shared with me last week that testers last longer and that's all they ever buy over there, i disagreed and said they just the same with the regular bottles.

I love testers and i might just be on the right track.

Syracusa, if you can try to get a hold of Coco Mad Edp in 35ml Tester (that's waht i bought BF gave me a 50ml EDT) it would be worth another try,some reputable online store sell testers as well. Right guys?
    Which ones? Could you direct me to one of these dealers? Thanks!

I am blonde, have dryish skin and my solution was to give up on the expensive parfum for workwear. I buy EDP or EDT and reapply during the day. It is easier for me to spritz after lunch than to find something that lasts. Some EDTs are a bit "sharp" when they go on but once the alcohol exaporates they seem to mellow into perfume. Also I don't want to knock anyone over with my fragrance so more of a lighter concentration seems better for work than heavy app in the morning dwindling during the day.

If you want a really "knock your socks" off perfume, try BLONDE by Versace!
    You can't miss it. Ditto ANGEL by Thierry Mugler.
    Most of the Estee Lauder scents have pretty strong sillage too.
    Cinnabar, Youth Dew etc.
    I am blonde (dyed!) and have dry skin but the above all last well on me.
    They are not exactly subtle however.