Code of Conduct

Thread: Chanel Egoiste

Default Chanel Egoiste

I've looked at around three seperate threads about the top fragrances, and I've consistently seen Egoiste on the list. I've also read the reviews, but most of them don't provide any descriptions of a person's reaction to the cologne, but more so the smell of the cologne itself. I'd basically want to know more about what people think about the PERSON wearing the cologne and the effects the cologne has on them. Does it seem more sensual and romantic, or hot and sexy? Is it made for a date out in the town, cuddling by the fireside, or making love by candlelight?
    Last edited by erebusnight; 8th January 2007 at 10:04 PM.

smeller

Default Re: Chanel Egoiste

Definitely more romantic than sexy, in my view. I would think of a very well made vanilla/creamy scent (that's what I feel). You can probably dinner with your girlfriend's parents wearing it.

That's an interesting question. Egoiste is sort of in a class by itself, I think. I finally got a nice decant of it, and I was very, very impressed. The notes came tumbling in, one after the other, in a beautiful progression from a honey-like sweetness through the emergence of gorgeous woods. Hours of different stages and loveliness. It almost seemed like it bent the air.

I like Platinum Egoiste quite well, but Egoiste really blew me away. I don't think Chanel is making Egoiste anymore, and that's a big loss.

I'm thinking that the reason you don't get the usual labels, such as "babe magnet", "power scent", and so on is because this juice is often appreciated as a work of art (rather than a utility scent) by hardcore scentophiles, and I'm definitely in agreement with them, and thank them for suggesting it.

Having said that, I tend to agree that it would work well as a romantic scent. It doesn't have that crude, animalistic thing that some folks like in a sexy scent. I would wear it almost anytime, though.

Ahh, thanks for that.
    Anyhow, I don't think Chanel's stopped making Egoiste. There has been some debate about whether or not they've changed the formula or the scent though, and about how cologne/ea de toilette/parfum/concentree smells different from what people remember. However, you can easily order it from places online, though I'm personally not sure of how "true" these would be to the original.

Never fear, Egoiste is still being manufactured.

Let's see: how does it make me feel? That's a tough question to answer, I think. It fulfills the requirements of a good perfume for me: it lasts a heck of a long time and it smells good. The notes of Egoiste requires a bit of confidence to wear it and that may throw a lot of guys off, it's a brash little devil, the product of its time.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

What do you mean by a "brash little devil"?

Well, it's strong, for starters and has a hint of cough syrup somewhere in there. There is a candied fruit character that turns up the sweetness factor. Depending on one's mood the day it's worn, it dries down a bit differently each time, hence the "little devil" comment.

Hope this helps.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

I recently bought a bottle of eau de toilette and it is the first time I have sampled the fragrance since 1990 (sixteen years ago) - to my nose, it smells exactly the same as it did back then (thankfully).

Alas, the same cannot be said for Santos De Cartier.

Egoiste is like art. It tells different things to different persons. To me it tells this.

Walking at night in the streets of all the towns that tell you secrets when no one is lissening. Its the foggy and wet stone walk ways of New Orleans, the dim lights of the city when your lissening to Jolie Holland sing, while sitting in Praque. You can hear the lyrics sooth you in to a trance, and your getting the old fashion morphine. Your mind isnt racing like a mad man when sitting in a smokey and quiet bar in Paris, just sitting there and lissening the walls speak of old days, the wind blowing softly out side, while your reading a book and enjoiying your self. Just being there in the middle of the magic that is our world.

No cell phones ringing, no loud talk of the latest Knicks game, there isnt no deadlines to meet, no loans to pay while working a 70hour week. Just nothing more than you and a special someone that you look in the eyes from time to time. Slowly moving with no rush or hurry. Just breathing and being, feeling so close to the history of that is us. And theres no talk, you dont need words anymore, you just feel and close your eyes. Is up to you, when you open them again...
    Last edited by Peace; 9th January 2007 at 06:32 PM.

Words like that are what made me buy a $10 vial off of eBay.
    I hope it isn't anything fake!

Benjamin*

I have to say, when I bought Égoïste Platinum in the early 90's, I loved it, and I wear it when I want to feel classy and sophisticated. When I'm well dressed and off to some event, and I wear it lightly so that I don't stand out.

Then I lost the bottle on a vacation. So I hurry to the store to buy another bottle, take it home, and I'm devastated. What happened? It was so heavy now and sweet and vanilla and jasmine (two notes I'm really not found of).

I couldn't wear it anymore and just couldn't figure it out. It was months or a year before I discovered that what I'd come home with wasn't Égoïste Platinum but simply Égoïste! And how was that? Because my bags finally turned up and in the valet my bottle of EP. What? OH BROTHER! It's the Platinum! Relief beyond words. Now that was a time before swapping and I simply disgarded the other bottle. (I didn't even want to pass it on to my son, fearing he'd wear it and I really didn't like it at all!)

Anyway, careful about the vanilla and jasmine in Égoïste!

Benjamin*

ps: A visit to Chanel online doesn't list but PLATINUM ÉGOÏSTE as an available? product. There's not the original listed there at all....?

http://www.perfumeemporium.com/mens/...FQboPgodjU2v-w

Wearing it today, it's a marvelous fragrance. Just 2 quick sprays, because as with most Chanels, this stuff is powerful. A really unique, beautiful scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin*
    ps: A visit to Chanel online doesn't list but PLATINUM ÉGOÏSTE as an available? product. There's not the original listed there at all....?
    Jasmine??

http://uma.chanel.com/fplus.php?chse...f&branding=ego

Egoiste is listed on Chanel's site for Asia and North & Latin America but not Europe.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 10th January 2007 at 11:38 PM.

Does anyone know anything about the concentree please?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I recieved my sample.
    I don't know if its supposed to be a concentree, but DAMN is it strong.
    It's also just too sweet for me. I'm definitely sticking to Fahrenheit.

I wore it in the 90's and sampled it in Bloomingdale's. It smelled the same to me.

Quote Originally Posted by erebusnight
    ...but most of them don't provide any descriptions of a person's reaction to the cologne, but more so the smell of the cologne itself. I'd basically want to know more about what people think about the PERSON wearing the cologne and the effects the cologne has on them. Does it seem more sensual and romantic, or hot and sexy? Is it made for a date out in the town, cuddling by the fireside, or making love by candlelight?
    This one got me the same reaction as Mugler - A*men. Love or hate. Compliments from two (one at work and one after hours). Also two not so good responses - at work "Oh no! I wouldn't want my boyfriend to smell like this - it's good on you but not on my boyfriend!" Also from a very good friend who's also into perfume (I influenced him to get Boucheron and Jaipur both EDP). He absolutely hates orientals, and even though he got Jaipur, he cannot stand Egoiste.

From this owner though - to me it's a frangrance that can be worn day or night, provided the wearer, in other words, YOU, can handle it. I got a 50ml swap from Trebor , but I'm looking for more - anybody out there???

I have a relatively small bottle of Egoiste roll-on.
    It's just 1/6 of an oz though. I'll give it to you for some Fahrenheit.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    Does anyone know anything about the concentree please?

There is one bottle of concentree selling here....if you are interested go for it...there was one that was sold on ebay last week....went for 57US$.....Uncle griff picked up that one...i guess this one is really sought after since concentree version of egoiste is apparently discontinued....the regular still is available in various countries...i found it in malaysia duty free stores....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CHANEL-EGOIST...QQcmdZViewItem

gupts

Question Re: Chanel Egoiste

What's the use of that Egoiste Concentree?

We don't seem to have it here in Moscow, but really, what's the need in it when plain Egoiste is so potent and long-lasting?

Quote Originally Posted by Peace
    Egoiste is like art. It tells different things to different persons. To me it tells this.

Walking at night in the streets of all the towns that tell you secrets when no one is lissening. Its the foggy and wet stone walk ways of New Orleans, the dim lights of the city when your lissening to Jolie Holland sing, while sitting in Praque. You can hear the lyrics sooth you in to a trance, and your getting the old fashion morphine. Your mind isnt racing like a mad man when sitting in a smokey and quiet bar in Paris, just sitting there and lissening the walls speak of old days, the wind blowing softly out side, while your reading a book and enjoiying your self. Just being there in the middle of the magic that is our world.

No cell phones ringing, no loud talk of the latest Knicks game, there isnt no deadlines to meet, no loans to pay while working a 70hour week. Just nothing more than you and a special someone that you look in the eyes from time to time. Slowly moving with no rush or hurry. Just breathing and being, feeling so close to the history of that is us. And theres no talk, you dont need words anymore, you just feel and close your eyes. Is up to you, when you open them again...

Really lovely, Peace. Beautifully rendered.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    Really lovely, Peace. Beautifully rendered.
    LoL yea well written. I am glad it conjures those images for you, Peace.

But no, Egoiste doesnt tell all those things to me. Good thing my YSL, Caron and Creed bottles engage in great conversations with me ..
    -

The Concentree is drier, rosewood more pronounced, not quite as sweet, cinnamon not as up front. Smooth, the construction is as good or better. I think it's likely Égoïste has been reformulated to some extent. Same goes for Antaeus.

The high quality always reminds me of the other greats from Chanel (men's and women's). Words like sophisticated, deep, sensual and enchanting come to mind regarding Égoïste. I suppose it's somewhat cerebral but primarily due to the feeling of quality it gives off.

It's a complex, substantial fragrance, a paragon of blending no doubt. For whatever reason it has never been one of my girlfriend's favorites, although she likes it more as it dries down. Like many of the great fragrances, the drydown is tenacious, extended and just gets better as it goes on. There are few to match it. A new bottle is on my list as my old one is feeling the depths.

Quality. Hopefully Jacques Polge is working on more of them.
    Last edited by pluran; 15th January 2007 at 03:41 AM.

To each his own, but anyone preferring Farenheit to Egoiste deserves what he gets.

Benjamin,

It IS still available at Gloss, but you have to use the search function and type "Egoiste" instead of just looking under the Fragrance section. I did the same thing; only the Platinum is listed under the fragrance area, but if you type it in the search box on the top, you should find Egoiste (I did just recently and bought a brand new bottle).

Good luck! It's a great one, but I love all of the great triumverate of PM, Antaeus, and Egoiste.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho