Code of Conduct

Default Ladies PMS and sense of smell...

In the men's thread I briefly mentioned how PMS causes me to be very sensitive to fragrances.
    Have any of you noticed any changes in your sense of smell during PMS, menstruation, pregnancy and/or menopause?

More than not I have to avoid fragrances all together for a few days before my period and a couple days while on my period.
    If I don't avoid my favorites during this time, I may become so sick by them that I never want to smell them again.
    From the moment I was six I felt sexy. And let me tell you it was hell, sheer hell, waiting to do something about it.
    Bette Davis

Default Re: Ladies PMS and sense of smell...

I actually have developed a little PMS in my later years. I find all things to be sad for a couple of days and cry easier. For example, I nearly dehydrated when Anikan had to leave his mother behind in StarWars: The Phantom Menace, which we watched just recently. Unfortunately, this causes my nose to congest and my eyes to swell, as well as a dull headache, where upon I am good for nothing and can't smell anything but don't want to anyhow. I tend to eat chocolate ice cream on an emergent basis, straight from the carton whilie standing at the freezer.

Basenotes Institution

Shy, if this three letter word is all about what you said it is about, I want it now! Or, possibly, the whole gift set with the shower gel and the lotion!

Quote Originally Posted by Loli
    In the men's thread I briefly mentioned how PMS causes me to be very sensitive to fragrances.
    Have any of you noticed any changes in your sense of smell during PMS, menstruation, pregnancy and/or menopause?

More than not I have to avoid fragrances all together for a few days before my period and a couple days while on my period.
    If I don't avoid my favorites during this time, I may become so sick by them that I never want to smell them again.
    My sense of smell heightens a few days before my period. I can't wear fragrances during that time because they make me nauseous.

I crave chocolate and sweets too. Strange.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

It's nice to know that I'm not alone.
    From the moment I was six I felt sexy. And let me tell you it was hell, sheer hell, waiting to do something about it.
    Bette Davis

You're not alone, sista! Didn't know that's what my problem was until you mentioned it!!!! I just wondered what was wrong with me & my sniffer & my stomach & my headaches and why I avoid certain frags so as not to "ruin" them. Even if I have an unusual bad day, I won't wear a great smell...no negative associations!!! Oymygosh, I'm babbling. I think I'm tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf
    Shy, if this three letter word is all about what you said it is about, I want it now! Or, possibly, the whole gift set with the shower gel and the lotion!
    ?????

Hormones do regulate how we feel, but I think they're overrated as regards to perfume smelling. Minor differences yes, major I am sceptical...

As to your question: no/ no/ no/ don't know yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BHMum2
    You're not alone, sista! Didn't know that's what my problem was until you mentioned it!!!! I just wondered what was wrong with me & my sniffer & my stomach & my headaches and why I avoid certain frags so as not to "ruin" them. Even if I have an unusual bad day, I won't wear a great smell...no negative associations!!! Oymygosh, I'm babbling. I think I'm tired.
    I completely understand the "no negative associations". Oh, do I! I have lost touch with some of my near and dear frags over NNA's.

As for the hormones, they are very powerful and I am certain that they play a role in my heighten sense of smell right before and during my period.
    It really has taught me to respect my dog when it comes to spraying my fragrances. I go into my walk in closet and spray, so my pooch does not have to deal with the smell as much. His poor nose probably gets tortured enough just by being near me.
    Bette Davis

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryFemme
    My sense of smell heightens a few days before my period. I can't wear fragrances during that time because they make me nauseous.

I crave chocolate and sweets too. Strange.
    Very sweet and spicy fragrances are especially attractive to me during the premenstrual time. I also crave chocolate and sweets.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrie11
    Very sweet and spicy fragrances are especially attractive to me during the premenstrual time. I also crave chocolate and sweets.
    Weird. Me too. Actually when I have PMS I can't wear anything for a few days. During is when I spritz away and crave sweet smells. I crave scents that I normally don't like to wear like Chocolovers. I also crave sweet foods.

So far I've found that if I do wear a scent when I have PMS the only scents that don't go sour on me are sweet, vanilla-heavy scents (Lolita Lempika L) or No. 5. Pretty much everything else makes me want to scrub myself with steel wool and Ajax (not literally.)
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I have been planning to start at thread about this subject! It's very interesting. I experience that some fragrances turn bad on my skin just before my period. I'm also a little sensitive about chypres (!) that time of the month. Give me spice, vanilla, chocolate, anything gourmand but DON'T come near me with a classic chypre... Weird

The worst thing is, as you get older, your menstural cycle shortens and your PMS gets longer, so you have fewer days when you feel good!
    I spend about a week and a half craving all the carbohydrates under the Sun and feeling bloated.
    I hate musks anyway but during this time I can't stand to be around them. Yummy scents like Angel are a good way to satisfy my desire for sweeties, though!

Quote Originally Posted by julia7
    I have been planning to start at thread about this subject! It's very interesting. I experience that some fragrances turn bad on my skin just before my period. I'm also a little sensitive about chypres (!) that time of the month. Give me spice, vanilla, chocolate, anything gourmand but DON'T come near me with a classic chypre... Weird
    Maybe that's why Mitsouko was such a scrubber for me yesterday. Bleccch! And I usually like it. Pre- and menstrual time is the only time I can truly appreciate the beauty of heavier orientals. At certain times of the month they are sweet perfection. I'm thinking of running down to Walgreens to pick up a bottle of Tabu - it would be a good time to join Moondeva's layering experiment. Later in the month, I will say "what was I thinking??!!"

I have never thought of this would happen in my life. I usually don't have PMS and yesterday I sprayed on some CoCo. Boy! It was worst than any chemical weapon. No exaggeration!... I had a huge fight with my dad in the evening upon a small matter.

I was trying to figure what has triggered me... it might have been the spiciness from CoCo. I swear not to touch this again when I am on the cycle.