Code of Conduct

Default Great container to hold samples

I read somewhere, it may have been here, or perhaps somewhere else, but a question was posed on what to do with sample vials. How do you store them? I don't know if this is common knowledge and I am the last to discover this, but I thought I would share a great way I have found to store samples. Every time I got a new sample, I would sit at my computer and take a whiff then place it in a glass, votive candle holder I had sitting close by. Soon, the holder has filled up and the samples sit up right and stay well organized. If you haven't already discovered this, give it a try.
    Last edited by MsMuse; 9th January 2007 at 04:08 AM.

Default Re: Great container to hold samples

I'm a newbie to fragrances and this past month, I've made quite a few purchases of full size bottles and gift sets. With most of my purchases, they also give free samples.

I store these samples in a small clear plastic lipstick holder, one that is about an inch tall and segregated into 10 compartments that can hold a tube of lipstick in each.

With the fragrance samples, I can fit two, sometimes three samples in each compartment. I organize the samples/compartments according to categories: floral, oriental, floriental, woody and fresh. This makes it really easy for me to grab whatever fragrance type suit my mood.

cheers!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I like your idea, MsMuse.
    I use a glass floral frog (as you can see in my avatar space above left) for my most important samples. The samples that haven't passed my first sniff test get relegated to other, less-esteemed containers. You can always find glass floral frogs on ebay for a few dollars. They also make a nice holder if you give a collection of samples as a gift.
    Last edited by Quarry; 9th January 2007 at 06:31 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Mine are in a tightly woven basket that has a lid. Works for me. :-)

MsMuse, I do almost the same thing - teacups and shot glasses. My samples are organized first by how well I know them, and then roughly by how much I want them. I have a little drawer for samples of FBW frags, samples I'm ready to part with, one for samples I want to keep for reference but would never buy more of, and so on. The little cups and glasses are for groups of sample vials - for example, all of my Ormonde Jayne samples waiting to be sniffed, or a small bundle of unrelated but brand new samples awaiting sorting, or if I'm trying to pick my favorite of something and want to cull all samples that remind me of trees and put them in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    I like your idea, MsMuse.
    I use a glass floral frog (as you can in my avatar space above left) for my most important samples. The samples that haven't passed my first sniff test get relegated to other, less-esteemed containers. You can always find glass floral frogs on ebay for a few dollars. They also make a nice holder if you give a collection of samples as a gift.
    what a great idea! I have one of those from my granndmothers house! It now has a new use! thanks...

it is a good idea. I hogged too many of those smoked glass votive thingies at ikea.

Blog Entries

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread. Well, not really. The info is priceless. A glass florists frog (or even one of those metal ones) is a great idea. I've been storing my vials in plastic caps from aerosol cans and filling the empty space with cotton wadding. It's a hassle to get them out and put them back.

Thank you for a terrific idea! I'll keep my eyes open for one. I'm not a shot glass kinda guy.

And I like the frog idea because I really don't have the gifts for the patience to create Quarry's Most Excellent and Elegant Sample Vial Holder.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

I have my eye on something like http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/pr...sp?sku=0375571, but I'm not positive I'd be getting the right size. Time to consult my former-chemist mom, I guess.

Blog Entries

Mossaia - would you post back when you hear? That does look perfect.

The search for glass floral frogs has been a bit frustrating (at a local antique fair, they were asking $20 each and would settle for $15 - hah! ).

So, I've moved everything to a plastic ice cube tray. That works better than the caps from aerosol cans. And looks just a little classier!
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Another idea that works well for your purse, pocket or travel bag. A small tin (like the ones that mints come in), will protect several samples quite nicely.

My samples have outgrown my little sweetgrass basket and are now housed in a felt-line hinged box. But I would like to find something to keep them upright and organized. I'm going to look for one of those lipstick holders. I keep meaning to. My sweetgrass basket smells like I don't know what now.

my collection of shot glasses does double duty. creeds in one of the bigger ones, mass market stuff in one, designer in another, niche in yet another, ad infinium....
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I've been using a plastic makeup organizer and a lipstick holder for several years. This is good for 5ml sprays. For the really tiny glass sample vials, I stuck them in an inverted lid from a used-up spray can of hair mousse! I tend to use those up fast or dump them, so I don't pile up a large number of samples.

I haven't wanted to spend the money for the chemistry equipment holder I posted earlier, but let me put in a word for The Container Store's amac boxes (see http://www.containerstore.com/search...rch=amac+boxes). I got a bunch of the 2" square, flat kind in different colors. They are cute and slightly translucent, so you can see which ones are inside.

Quote Originally Posted by mossaia View Post
    I have my eye on something like http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/pr...sp?sku=0375571, but I'm not positive I'd be getting the right size. Time to consult my former-chemist mom, I guess.
    Here's another laboratory vial holder that works well and has good capacity. Nice but pretty expensive.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Red face Re: Great container to hold samples

I like to keep my vials in the small ziplock bags that they usually come in (or get them if they don't). I think it gives them more protection. I have a box that's not too deep and I file them in alphabetical order (is this too BN geeky? LOOOOOLLLLL)*. The vials don't even have to be marked as the bags are labeled. The rows are separated by a piece of cardboard. It's very organized and I can get them easily as I look for them ("Scientific. One must be scientific at all times.").
    That box is in a bigger box along with some of the other full bottles. Lid closed. The bigger box is one of 3 that house the rest of my full bottles (I only count full bottles as "own" in my wardrobe--no decants). I learned to keep my bottles in boxes on the floor after I dropped and broke a bottle of Vetiver de Guerlain from the shelf (a good version too). All inside the closet, cool and dark.

*No, my socks are not in alphabetical order. They are separated by colors but not placed in the drawer in any specific order.

I don't know if others feel this way but I find too much sampling kind of distracting. I keep testing, testing and my full bottles are sitting there, crying, crying. I've decided to do this: I test a few times, if I like, I buy a bottle. I try not to touch the other vials that don't make it, wait for more testing, or I feel may grow on me. I've decided to stop testing new things for awhile and start using my bottles (just after I add one more bottle--Rose 31!). Then I'm ready...I'd feel more complete that way.....O.K. I'm going to E.G.'s Fragrance Abuse Clinic now...

Oiy!!! How my sample collection has grown since I first posted about it. Now, I resort to storing in ornamental boxes and make up bags. The cute bags you get with perfume/lotion gift sets work like a charm.

Just got this on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Make-up-Acrylic-D...QQcmdZViewItem
    There's a few more of them left

I've labeled mine and placed them in a large clear zipper pencil bag.
    "While the king is at his table, my perfume fills the air with its fragrance." SoS 1:12

I use plastic battery boxes, they're $2 each and just the right size.
    http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm/terms/14474
    Then I put them in my fridge (my apartment is 90-100 degrees when I'm at work, I leave the AC off), inside of an army-surplus, totally scentight (unlike tupperware!), 50-caliber bullet box I got on ebay. Not its intended purpose, I'm sure.
    Last edited by Onychophora; 8th August 2008 at 03:25 PM.

I went to the range today and had to shoot 50 rounds to pass a test. After it was over, I looked down and just about died! I had a brand new sample vial holder!!

With a U.S. penny for scale.

This tray was for 380 ammo, and fits those small glass vials, such as one gets from LuckyScent. I think with a 9mm, one could better fit taller glass vials, such as I got with some niche samples. I don't have one to test it, but .45 containers might hold the larger-diameter manufacturer spray sample bottles.

Previous to this, I had been cutting up tissue boxes and punching holes in them with pencils. This container is a lot neater and more compact than even a molecular biology microtube tray.
    Last edited by Aiona; 10th August 2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: 380 versus 9mm versus .45

IKEA is selling this set of 3 draw-liner trays in their 2009 catalogue, and I think its just the ticket for samples and decant bottles! The holes vary in size, and it can house a fair few bits n bobs.

I dont know about your local catalogue, but here in Denmark, the set of 3 trays is selling for $13 USD equivalent (69 kroner).

I think I shall get me some of this in days to come
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 15th August 2008 at 08:00 AM.

I keep my 1 ml and 1 1/2 ml samples in small Zip-loc plastic bags I buy in bulk at the drugstore, each one about 3" x 3", designed for holding medication. They have a white panel for writing on with a Sharpie or other fined-tipped marker. The plastic is thicker and the bags are much tougher than most of this type. I "file" them by notes, for example, I'll mark a bag "green" or "floral" and put all the perfumes that feature that note together in each bag (or bags.) I find that I'm usually more in the mood for a particular classification of fragrance than a particular fragrance.

I buy these small plastic bags in packs of 50 or 100 at the drugstore chain Rite-Aid here in the US, but I'm sure other places have them. They're also good to use for shipping samples for swapping.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

my fragrance chest...

I should take a picture of what I've been using