Theorema sits here forgotten --
    Velvet spices don't even riposte,
    It is true!

Vengeful winds, it is time to pull out
    (I miss smoothness of blackberry wine!)
    Endless rose, vanilla and sandal,
    Tantalizing, unique, full of clout
    Number _____, divine!

Good luck and please stay in good spirits!
    Last edited by Twolf; 19th February 2007 at 06:57 PM. Reason: # 98 solved

Default Re: Teaser # 89.

Ooooh, a new one!

Nine, Azzaro 9?

Post Thanks / Like

No, a different number, from a designer known for his straight lines and minimalist approach for about 30 years. Also, try playing with the capital letters.

Post Thanks / Like

No. 19, Chanel...?....no, I guess not, after all. It has rose and sandal, but no vanilla (??)
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Givenchy III I guess, full of clout for sure

2020, Courreges?--but then it should say vingt, vingt--and I have vient, vient (comes, comes?) or vinet, vinet? what am i missing??

Post Thanks / Like

Good guesses so far and lilybp is the closest to finding out the correct answer. It is a virtually unknown fragrance, athough it is in the Directory and many online discounters carry it too.

The name is NOT French ( and there is certain similarity between Theorema and this one in the mood), the sillage is beautiful, and may I repeat, the designer will soon celebrate his 30th anniversary on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by lilybp
    2020, Courreges?--but then it should say vingt, vingt--and I have vient, vient (comes, comes?) or vinet, vinet? what am i missing??
    Lilybp, that is the one I thought of myself, because of the cassis in the top ('missing blackberry wine') and because Courreges is minimalist in my eyes.

But that advise to 'play with the Capital letters' was a disaster. So I thought, well, who am I to solve something like this.

So glad you had the same brainwave!! Even if we are totally, completely wrong.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Post Thanks / Like

Veni, vidi, venti!

Hi wolfie, I was thinking about your teasers tonight and ... you heard my prayers
    This must be Ferrè 20. 20 = venti (in Italian), and venti means also winds....
    Notes are right too and GFF must have been on the scene for even more than 30 years now!
    It completely diasappeared from Italian counters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Well, if this is not spot on, I will drink every drop of Lutens I have!!

And I will remember next time not to search for Ferre in the Directory, but for Christian name *banging already aching head on table*

Wondered why I could not find him (hey, I have a fever, you know!!!) Thoughts are not very clear at this moment

Think my fellow Lady in Black is totally right!
    Ferré 20 matches all the tips.
    And obviously is right also when she says it's gone with the wind far away from the italian shelves... long time ago!
    I guess last time it was on the shelves here, you too read Wolfy were still on the milanese scene too...

Yay for Lady in Black, who can think in Italian!

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like Riannon's Lutens are safe! Lady_in_Black got it: Gianfranco Ferre 20 was the fragrance in question. Congratulations to Lady_in_Black and big thanks to everybody else for your participation! :wave:

Saying that it is a fantastic fragrance combining the best of the both worlds -- East meets West -- and that it was released in 1998 to commemorate the 20th anniversary of GFF's designing career equals to not saying much. Notes:
    Top: bergamot, mandarin, blackberry;
    Heart: rose, jasmine, iris;
    Base: vanilla, sandalwood, cedarwood, musk.

Forget clouds of calabrian and sicilian citruces found in many other GFF's scents, and please do not wear it to the office, not only it is NOT clean and soapy, it will just disrupt the smooth office activities for days! You will be out of it, for sure, with your imagination flying like a wind. I was, but I do not work in a cubicle. :bounce: It is floriental, luxurious and expensive, blackberry in it can easily be taken for blackcurrant, but it is more aromatic and woody, like a good vintage wine that has absorbed the vapors of the wood. Citrus is definitely present, but it is spiced with coriander and cardamom, just a pinch, with nothing of "too much" or "a slap on your nose", found in many spicy Orientals. Jasmine is it is not very pronounced per se, "white flowers" would be a better description, but the centerstage, for sure belongs to rose -- huge, "endless", no traces of withering, lush and velvety. I have said on a couple of occasions that I do not like very perfumy roses, greasy and dripping with oil, like in Tea Rose, here it is voluptious yet pedigreed, and, nothing is dripping! Iris is of a powdery character, not the roots or stems, it is represented by silky petals. Woods are polished, vanilla is sweet and suave. The whole effect is intoxicating, and I had one of these "I cannot believe it is happening with me" moments while wearing it. The whole impression is that while some perfumes can be worn everywhere and become your buddies, 20 is demanding distance, glamour, manners and "Sie" instead of "du" no matter how close you and 20 may get.

The fragrance can be purchased online, about 30 USD for 50 ml EdT, there are bath and body products available too. This is a steal, and please get it when you can! No information about the nose behind this scent, but there are instances of productive collaborations between GFF and Pierre Bourdon (FM Iris Poudre). Just a guess...

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats (again ) Lady in Black!

BTW: FragranceX was (of course, as usual) out of stock, but one could read:
    "Recommended for office wear that dries down nicely"
    --Bob Dylan

Congratulations to our wonderful Lady, saving my Lutens

And this way saving the Lutens Week as well

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon
    Congratulations to our wonderful Lady, saving my Lutens

And this way saving the Lutens Week as well
    Riannon, you risked! But I just could not let our Lutens week go like this. On second thought, it would have been a rather innovative way to sample frags
    Thank you all but especiallyTwolf, beautiful teaser as usual

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teaser # 90.

Thanks to everybody for your comments.

Teaser # 90. (one can sing it in a shower to Michel Legran's theme song from "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg", if you wish so! )

Tuileries, so vivid, so colorful,
    Mourns the dreadful weather in a lonely pull.
    Semolina handfuls, breath of frosts and fog
    Fall on a gardener and his old dog.

His great great grandfather would remember days
    Of Madamme Ilaria and her flowers blaze,
    Leaves and stems of violets, so many rare
    Essences with elegance and flair.

Sticks, back then in baskets, hand-picked, wet and lush,
    Now stand all covered in a wintry mush,
    They need honey, loving buzz, activity
    To wake up and bloom, to give us all festivity!

Just a try: good old Tosca?
    "Semolina", Italian again, I think. The great great grandfather, Madame Ilaria. Somehow I thought 'opera' and ended up with Tosca.
    But it is only a try, I have not figured it all out.

Opera...hmm...don't like so much . I prefer ... a ballet???

Another beautiful, colorful riddle Twolf.

Jolie Madame?
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you ladies for trying so hard and sorry I could not get any earlier to it, I was working all day today! Anyway, Lady_in_Black is in the lead so far with her "ballet" guess.

More clues: not only violets, there are many other flowers (in baskets) , including jasmine, orange blossom, lilacs, tuberose, the latter one gave splitting headaches to the lady who was rumored to have inspired this beautiful and often neglected fragrance (no, not Ilaria from the ballet!). There is also this "wet dog" note in it (combination of heliotrope, musk and civet, I suppose).
    Last edited by Twolf; 18th January 2007 at 01:59 PM.

Houbigant's Quelques Fleurs (1912)
    The ballet was about Contessa Ilaria del Caretto.

From http://listserv.ucsb.edu/lsv-cgi-bin...v-l&T=0&P=2064

"In 1948, the Houbigant Perfume Company commissioned a ballet to be named Quelques Fleurs, from choreographer Ruthanna Boris and composer Francois Auber. They allowed the creators free rein in the libretto and all artistic decisions, simply requesting the ballet have something to do with perfume"

The "Quelques Fleurs Ballet" concerns the events at a garden party: that would explain "the old gardener".
    And there is certainly tuberose in the fragrance.

Yes?
    Last edited by Riannon; 15th January 2007 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon
    Houbigant's Quelques Fleurs (1912)
    The ballet was about Contessa Ilaria del Caretto.

From http://listserv.ucsb.edu/lsv-cgi-bin...v-l&T=0&P=2064

"In 1948, the Houbigant Perfume Company commissioned a ballet to be named Quelques Fleurs, from choreographer Ruthanna Boris and composer Francois Auber. They allowed the creators free rein in the libretto and all artistic decisions, simply requesting the ballet have something to do with perfume"

The "Quelques Fleurs Ballet" concerns the events at a garden party: that would explain "the old gardener".
    And there is certainly tuberose in the fragrance.

Yes?
    :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Well, actually Ilaria del Carretto died in dec, 8th 1405, so I challenge "his great great grandfather" to remember her times...
    Btw, her tomb from Jacopo della quercia is so moving and beautiful and features a dog close to her feet as a symbol of her fidelity to her husband

Post Thanks / Like

You guys got it! Thanks to all for your responses and observations, and congratulations to Riannon for naming the fragrance correctly! Mag is right, the old dog's "great great grandfather" would probably not remember, but for sure the legend of real Ilaria (not from the ballet!) was cherished through the generations of them dogs! I saw a picture of her tomb too and was touched.

Houbigant emerged on the perfumery scene back in the 18th century as Amouage today with elitist perfumes created for the royalty and their courts. Their symbol -- a flower basket -- was adorning the bottles and the boxes, although the scents were mostly soliflores without intensity and complexity of Amouages'. Most of them are all long gone, although Quelques Fleurs (1912) blended by Robert Bienaime and bottled by Alain de Morgues, the first commercially sold scent with multiple floral notes (I have different figures, some say 313 essences and others say 365 like the days of a year) was relaunched in the 1980s with the notes of
    Top: Citrus oil, orange blossom, leafy greens, tarragon;
    Heart: rose de Mai, jasmine, tuberose, lilac, ylang-ylang, orchid, carnation, violet, orris;
    Base: sandal, musk, civet, heliotrope, vanilla, honey.

I have only tried the 80s version. Quelques Fleurs is green during the whole duration, and it is one of them "basket cases" -- a capricious scent, unpredictable how it will behave on your skin today. In mood for Ivoire/ J'Adore/ Cabotine/ Mahora? It got it all! As a comparison, I was totally not moved by the recent Houbigant Quelques Fleurs Royale inspired by Adelaide d'Orleans, but the original Quelques Fleurs got me thinking of buying the full bottle.

Thanks again and please stay tuned.

Congrats dear Riannon aka Lady of Shallot! Here's to your first success and to wolfie for figuring them teasers out

I am rather speechless
    Me, solving one of Twolfs Teasers!! But, LIB, I could not have done it if you had not said "ballet".

So, we will share the honour

Thank you again, wonderful Twolf with your amazing Teasers and the great stories behind them

Post Thanks / Like

Well, thank YOU! There are so many fascinating stories connected with the realm of fragrances, they never seize to amaze me, however some scents just leave me cold. With Quelques Fleurs, the scent itself and its history just struck the right chord, I guess, and I had to share. So glad that you all have managed to figure it out!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teaser # 91.

We stopped by our Perfumania today. I was swept off my feet (literally, I slipped on ice on the way out and fell ) and I am going back to buy this EdP! Hopefully, the snow and ice accumulation will melt in the few days.

Teaser # 91.

In the middle of winter frazzle
    This perfume will bedazzle.

What if it were a flower?
    It would be a bouquet!
    So calm in its indulgence,
    So fit for a soiree.

What if it were a gemstone?
    It would be a sapphire!
    Mysterious, ambitious
    And setting ice on fire.

What if it were a garden?
    It would be moist with rain
    And aftertaste of raspberry
    And splash of milky feign.

It's au courant and radiant,
    It melts our disbelief,
    It's shameless, meek, voluptuous,
    What else? It is ___________ !

Good luck and please stay in good spirits! I am, although I feel a bruise ripening on my touche.
    Last edited by Twolf; 18th January 2007 at 06:09 AM.

Chopard's Wish? Shaped like a gemstone, sapphire liquid. Strawberry (alright, that is not the same as raspberry, I know) and Milk in the notes.
    Absolutely radiant...

Another wild guess

Speedy recovery from your bruise, dear Twolf. The risks you take for perfume....
    Last edited by Riannon; 18th January 2007 at 06:28 AM.

Could it be Ormonde Jayne Ta'If?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your efforts. Your both guesses are correct in its own way: Riannon could not help but noticed that the fragrance in question comes from a jewelry maker, and Magnifiscent's answer rhymes. Now just a little bit more -- we need to put them together and we are done!

Oooo--I've missed some of these.

Van Cleef!

Post Thanks / Like

Now we are talking! Lilybp, them teasers were missing you and Ta-Da... you won!

It is Van Cleef (1993) I tired at Perfumania, an old fashioned fragrance with an au courant feel that never gets mentioned on the boards and very undeservingly so! When I first sniffed it, I thought "MPG with a better longevity", and "with a glint of glimmering glamour" were my first words. Then for about an hour I was lost for words (pain was a factor, too ), I came home and checked Van Cleef and Arpels site, and saw "What if it were..." line appearing in their perfume descriptions and the teaser was born!

The nose behind the fragrance is Pascal Giraux and the bottle was designed by Serge Mansau (and it is breathtaking on its proud own). Van Cleef is classified as Floral/orange/tuberose and as Floriental by different sources, to me it is a floral with an oriental feel, and the notes used are:
    Top: Neroli, bergamot, galbanum, raspberry (although some say it is strawberry);
    Heart: orange blossom, jasmine, ylang-ylang, heliotrope, geranium;
    Base: tonka bean, vanilla, cedar, musk, sandal.

It starts bitter and cold with neroli but bergamot is very much present with its smoky and tannic qualities and within the next 10 minutes I get that nice and fresh note of moist foliage and just a splash of raspberry (not as cloying as in Byblos or Apparition, though), not the sweet and juicy real berry but just like a reminisce, a hint. Flowers are very harmonious and abundant, although heliotrope is different here: forget heavy weights with nutty, almondy attitude, it is on milkier side in Van Cleef (therefore "feign" was used in the riddle). Vanilla is sensuous and woody, and while in Wish it is a solo, here it is a part of a support group for delirious and meek musk and rounded polished woods.

Van Cleef is relatively long-lasting (what VC&A's EdPs are not? ) and the projection is better than average. It is priced very moderately and can be found through many e-tailers as well.

Please stay tuned for more!

Well done Lilybp Congratulations again.

But eh, you are so darn good, please, don't become too clever for us, eh?

Twolf and you should start writing a book with those Teasers!
    Another beauty, Twolf, thank you!

Lovely lily, you did it again! Congrats!

Well, thank you, but I had some help, and I think Lady in Black has solved more than I--and Riannon, you got the last one! Congrats to all--and thank you to our wonderful Wolf!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, lilybp! (are you clairvoyant, by any chance?? )

And thank you, dear Wolfie, for another great teaser!
    --Bob Dylan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teaser # 92.

Teaser # 92.

My first part is a simple word
    That many a language crossed.
    My second part sits on the shelf
    With Burberry, Ricci, Lacoste.

My third part is what father and son,
    Both well-versed in blending,
    Share with less known nose of Diptyques,
    Latter in beginning, first two -- in ending.

The total forms the name of a chypre
    With honey and moss, and besides,
    Presented by prima, Italian diva.
    From the house that loved ... aldehydes!

Post Thanks / Like

Plus Que Jamais?

Is the fragance in the BN-Directory?
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for reading and participating! Yes, it is in the Directory although no one ever mentions it as their likes/dislikes or SotD. It is one multisyllabic word, not three separate words.

Hmmmm. . . Patyka (6/chypre)?? I can make this fit your "3 parts" but it's really the name of the line, not the 'fume, so . . . .
    Last edited by lilybp; 20th January 2007 at 02:18 PM.

Hehe, lily, I came up with "ka" part myself but cannot think about any scent

After some reasoning, a guess:
    Anouchka by Révillon
    but something clicks in, something not
    The "on the shelf with Burberry etc." leaves me with overheated braincells

That's it, Lady in Black! An-ouch-ka--

--as in Burberry T-ouch, Lancoste T-ouch of Pink, and NR Far-ouch-e!!!

Yay! You got it! Congratulations!!!
    Last edited by lilybp; 20th January 2007 at 10:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, ladies! You got it! :-* :-* :-* Hats off to the both of you, my friends, and I have to admit it was not the easist Teaser of them all.

"An" is a word existing in many languages, and it was the hardest part to figure out, I suppose.
    "Ouch" was previously used in a Teaser about Farouche, then it was "No need to cry with pain, whine with anguish or despair", and, to tell you the truth, I was running out of ideas how to tie it up with a new Teaser, and then I though of using it as a part of other fragrance names and it seems to have worked. Absolutely wonderful explanation, lilybp, right on!
    "Ka" was used as a part of proper names, father and son being Roudnits"ka" (I bet you, some probably thought about the Guerlains!) and Diptyque's nose being Serge "Ka"lougin, "latter in beginning, first two -- in ending".

"Presented by prima, Italian diva" was about Pietrogalia's dance presenting it in PR which can be viewed at Imagesdeparfums, and "the house that loved... aldehydes" (Detchema, Turbulences) was Revillon.

What's in the name? It is a female name, and in French the second syllable is stressed ah-'nu:sh-ka, while in many Slovic languages it would be 'a:-nush-ka, a form of Ana/Anna/Ania/Anush.

Anouchka (1994) is a fruity chypre, one of a few that have tuberose (Cassini would be the second most popular one utilizing this note) and very sweet, if I had to compare its sweetness with anything, I would say Talisman by Balenciaga comes close, but in Anouchka one will get real honey as opposed to boozy honeyed fruit of Talisman.
    Top: Aldehydes, bergamot oil, coriander, green note, orange blossom, peach;
    Heart: carnation, honey, jasmine, orchid, orris, rose, tuberose, ylang-ylang;
    Base: amber, cedar, cistus oil, musk, oakmoss, patchouli, sandal.

Still available for under 30USD from many e-tailers, never ever mentioned anywhere, and still awaiting its high tide!

Thank you again for spending your day off on them Teasers and pleasse stay tuned for more!

WOW

The Lady and the Twolf!! Congratulations to you both. This was way over my head.
    Indeed those ****** Guerlains kept me on the wrong trail for ages.
    Ah well, let's say that I am good in statistics

*runs from Black Lady throwing stones*

bambina, you are a star!!
    Last edited by Riannon; 21st January 2007 at 11:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Stuck on Guerlains here, too. I also thought of Jacques and Olivier Polge but got nowhere. These are so much fun, even when they're way beyond me!

Congrats, Lady in Black and lilypb, the Masters of the Teasers, and thank you, Twolf, for making these intresting Teasers!

This was way above my level! - But I will raise my level, if you, Twolf, continue to write these very fun Teasers! Please, do, they are so great to read and try to solve!

I also have a little problem with the language, but I try to translate the words I don´t understand, so for me trying to solve the Teasers means I am getting better in english, too!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybp
    That's it, Lady in Black! An-ouch-ka--

--as in Burberry T-ouch, Lancoste T-ouch of Pink, and NR Far-ouch-e!!!

Yay! You got it! Congratulations!!!
    Congrats to you dear, and aha! I was constantly dividing the name in A - nouch - ka. No wonder the "nouch" part didn't fit in
    Thanks Twolf, for keeping our noses AND our brains alert!

Post Thanks / Like

God, are you ladies good! Congratulations!

One cake each for LiB, lily and Wolfie.
    --Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Margareta
    I also have a little problem with the language, but I try to translate the words I don´t understand, so for me trying to solve the Teasers means I am getting better in english, too!
    Bless you, Margareta!! The many, many times I had to use a dictionary is almost embarrassing
    So glad that I am not alone in that anymore :bounce:

I thought this was a fabulous teaser!!! Hurrah for the Lady and the Wolf!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teaser # 93.

Teaser # 93.

So delightful are fruits of a distant escape
    For abundant and tempting repast.
    Dome of leaves, psychedelic and shaped like a cape,
    Golden skin... Now vestiges last!

LaFontaine's fables don't attract them a bit
    (Crickets should sing and dance as they please!).
    Land of ancient tradition, its charm does not quit
    Under buorao and rosewood trees.

After taking a bath in a purple eel creek
    "Now fragrant" they say and they laugh.
    White tiare, fresh sweat and blue mountain peak --
    All with you, for your life and a half!

Huhu....
    Such a beautiful and "ermetico" riddle from you my dear!
    Crickets and ants, trips to brazil, scented mysteries beneath the purple waters...
    Still scratching my mellon on some confused and unmatching pieces of the puzzle.

Wild guess:Kylie Minogue's Darling?

Seems such an unlikely choice but I thougt Australia for some reason.

She comes from Australia (rosewood tree, Blue Mountain), there are tropical fruits in the scent, even a "hint of violet fruitiness" according to Boisdejasmin (the purple of the eels). She sings and dance.....

And I shrink away in my corner. Huh, still not able to read your mind

Post Thanks / Like

OK, both of the guesses are in the right direction, although the destination of the fragrance in question would be right between South America (not Brazilian but Chilean coast!) and Australia. Somebody spent unforgettable years right there in "a distant escape" and wrote a book about their experiences, although it is not the book that made them (him? her?) world famous.

More questions to be answered...
    Last edited by Twolf; 26th January 2007 at 12:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bora Bora?